Start by marking “Crazy” as Want to Read:
Crazy

Crazy

2.72 of 5 stars 2.72  ·  rating details  ·  239 ratings  ·  68 reviews
Bestselling author William Peter Blatty warms our hearts with a funny yet deeply moving nostalgic tale of memory, mystery . . . and miracles.

New York, 1941: Joey El Bueno is just a smart-aleck kid, confounding the nuns and bullies at St. Stephen’s school on East 28th Street when he first meets Jane Bent, a freckle-faced girl with red pigtails and yellow smiley-face barrett
Published November 9th 2010 by Forge Books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Crazy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crazy

Viji Sarath (Bookish endeavors)
Jane asks El Bueno somewhere in the novel,"Past,present and future.. What's the difference.?" Well.. It might not have any difference in the ultimate sense,but it does in the world of writing. All these tenses were mixed in a very disturbing format that at most places,it became difficult to comprehend. And as for the twist the author brought at the end,it was the worst kick anyone could've given a reader. I guess I should give it one more star because Vonnegut says and this book professes,"for f ...more
Meghan
I've been trying to stretch outside my normal limits of what types of books I read.

This one was a curious find.

Once I learned to skim the run-on sentences really fast, looking for the few funny parts, it started to read a bit quicker. One of those books I "just had to get through" for most of it. It felt forced, but a slight twist at the end made up for some of that.
Jodi
Sep 19, 2011 Jodi rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
The title says it all - this book is just plain crazy and quite frankly, I don't even understand how it got published. It is just all over the place and doesn't make a lot of sense. I kind of guessed the main character is not all together mentally but still.........crazy. One might argue that I read the book too quickly and didn't dig for the deeper meaning and missed all the symbolism and hidden messages. One might even argue that I am intellectually not capable of reading this book despite my ...more
Melissa Burke
I'm not entirely sure how to go about reviewing this book seeing as (to me) it wasn't a great read.
The one good thing I can say about it is that the plot was very interesting.

The problem though is that the story wasn't written very well. I could barely follow what I was reading. Every time I reached a run-on sentence (which was a lot) I had to skim it just to get to the next sentence, therefore missing out on a lot of the book.

Another thing is that it wasn't very memorable - I finished it abo
Elaine
I cannot get through this book. The story is alright but the long, winding, never-ending sentences are too difficult to read. I'm getting lost in the sentences, skipping ahead to the next sentence, and missing parts of the story. The story is also not very memorable-- I couldn't remember the story or the characters after putting the book down for less than 24 hours.
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
I kind of had a feeling this book might be really good, since it was written by the author who penned The Exorcist! Well... it lost it's luster about 2-3 chapters into it. I could not follow it even if the girl levetated and then put bandaids on her artifical Christmas tree as decorations. I'm lost....
Summer Seeds
Crazy was a cute little story. It's all in the title. Crazy. At times I was confused as to what was actually happening. The writting jumped around a bit. But the story itself was nostalgic and quirky and the ending made me smile. When I picked up the book, it was because I rather enjoyed Blatty's other works (The Exorcist, Legion, etc.) and I thought to myself, Why not? It was nowhere near what I was expecting, but that isn't a bad thing. Cray is a nice little book that can be easily read in a s ...more
Abbe
Sep 20, 2012 Abbe added it
Shelves: in-library
From

Sassy humor and gentle nostalgia is the surprisingly effective combination employed by Blatty, master of the horror genre and the author of The Exorcist, in this fond look back at 1940s- era New York. As 80-year-old Joey El Bueno begins his memoirs while a patient at Bellevue Hospital, he introduces his adolescent alter ego, a wisecracking Peruvian-Irish kid with an affinity for driving the staff at St. Stephen’s Grammar School batty. But the nuns aren’t the only ones going a little crazy;

Paula
I have not read the Exorcist or any other Blatty works, nor did I realize this is the same author. That said...wow. This book is nostalgic, funny and maybe a little drug induced. I'm only about half way through, so I suppose it could still take a turn for the disturbing...I suspect there will be some sort of mental break/revelation, but thus far, main character Joey is just goofy and likeable even if he is prone to bizarre stream of consciousness ramblings* that are without punctuation or, for t ...more
Amy
If you are looking for a truly unique read, Crazy by William Peter Blatty is the book for you! Joey El Bruno, the narrator and now resident of Bellevue Hospital takes the reader back to the New York of 1941, when he first meets an exceptional girl named Jane, and begins to experience time shifts. Throughout the slim novel Joey explains his unusual encounters with Jane, who has an uncanny ability to show up during Joey’s most morally trying times. She always brings with her cryptic advice and kno ...more
Ben
I really wanted to like this book and the mystery of Jane was well done, but the ending revealed this book to be heavily influenced by catholicism and that took all the enjoyment out for me. The narrator was disjointed and difficult to follow at times. I would not recommend this book to read.
Dale
An interesting concept for a story, which might have been expanded upon more fully. It is hard to believe this author wrote "The Exorcist", and yet his interest in otherworldly happenings prevails. This book is confusing in the first half, then begins to captivate.
Loripdx
I was somewhat disappointed. It is such a short book that I kept reading, figuring the story HAD to get better all of a sudden, right? Wrong! One paragraph stood out to me 29 pages from the very end:

(view spoiler)
Sidster
"Mr. Blatty, sir? You still have to write us another novel... you know... to fulfill the terms of your contract."
"Oh, yes, of course. Now, what's the most popular topic these days?"
"We're always up for a bit of nostalgia, sir."
"Brux! What else? What's the demographic on readers? Anyone still reading out there?"
"Ah... that would be those aging Baby Boomers, William. I mean Peter. Mr. Blatty. Sir."
"I got it! Nostalgia. Baby Boomers! A bit of the Time Traveler's Wife thrown in for fun. And I'll eve
Lisa
Blah! I expected so much more from this. What I did get is this: The Exorcist was apparently Blatty's finest moment... and maybe his only.
Dawn
Nov 11, 2011 Dawn rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one.
Recommended to Dawn by: The bookcover caught my eye in the store...what a disappointment it turned out to be!
Crazy was a perfect title for this book! Not at all what I expected. Certainly one of the times where the saying "Don't judge a book by its cover" applies. I thought I was getting a sweet Christmas themed, childhood story. Not at all! Fortunately, this book was under 300 pages or I would have never been able to finish it. I stayed with it because I had to find out if I was right on who the character Jane really was. I don't think I have ever read a book before with so many run on sentences. I wa ...more
Lisa Ahronian
I kinda had this one figured out early on. And I found it a little slow in the beginning, but over all I enjoyed it.
Virginia
While reading this book I wasn't sure I liked it, but come the end I loved it. It is a story about love, but you don't realize it until the end. The first half of the book is a fun story about a boy growing up. You may have to plow through the third quarter of the book, but stick with it--it is a short book. I found the father a bit undeveloped/unbelievable. It is written from Joseph's point of view, so the father is seen through his eyes and he is influenced by Jane. Maybe Joseph just isn't as ...more
Sherwestonstec
A quirky little book to read in one sitting. Enjoyed it. Interesting story. I would recommend this!
Janebcolby
Was an ok book. After the first few chuckles I found it strained for humor.
Sandra Alderman
Was pretty weird! I finished it, but won't read it again!
Jessi
Crazy is a pretty decent read. At first, it is rather confusing in terms of sentence structure and it is confusing trying to figure out what is going on. In this book, one sentence can take almost a whole paragraph to complete which takes a little adjustment. But once you do get adjusted to that style of writing, the book tends to flow pretty easily. The confusing nature of the story lends credibility to the fact that the main character is seen as "crazy." Of you stick with the story though, it ...more
Gabrielle
Like many other reviewers, as I read this book I wasn't sure if I was actually LIKING the book. The story of the narrator as a young boy was charming yet I felt like the story was rushed: going from sharing his adolescence to a quick run through of everything else that happened in his life. I immediately picked up on the "twist" and felt that I was reading the book just to confirm my theory.

Then it ended.

The concept was beautiful but the result was rushed.
K.C.
Crazy is a book that I wasn't really sure I liked but ended up loving. At points it was like one long run on sentence, so I had to really concentrate. The main character Joey El Bruno, takes the reader on a journey of his life, experiencing time shifts back & forth. The story goes back to the New York of 1941, when he first meets an exceptional girl named Jane, who always seems to show an uncanny ability to show up during Joey’s most morally trying times to guide him along.
D. Eric
I had high hopes for this book and found myself let down a bit. I thought it would be about the adventures of a young boy growing up and though it has some of that, it is really a bit of a ghost-story/mystery that finds itself perhaps biting off more than it could chew considering the short length. It does have a bit of a twist at the end, but not one that blows you away. Likable, but not terrific.
Michele bookloverforever
Very, very unlike "The Exorcist" or "Legion". This is a tale about choices and where they lead. It is a tale of redemption. It is funny and amusing. It is a story about family and friends and love. It is about a life well lived. There is a twist: a child shows up mysteriously. who is she and why does she appear? hint in the book: the character tells the hero "love me but don't fall in love with me."
Corinne
I saw Crazy on the shelf at the local library and decided to pick it up based on the book jacket copy. The story is intriguing: a man is remembering a girl who mysteriously appeared and disappeared throughout his life, and the lessons she shared with him. It's quirky, which I enjoy, and the writing is very stream-of-consciousness which can be hard to follow at times, but overall it's a good book.
Ivy
I really enjoy books that interject a little bit of the supernatural -- I LOVED "The Time Traveler's Whife" and "Charlie St. Cloud" for example. So I found the blurb on the front cover of this book intriguing. However, this one didn't work for me. I had to skip all the run-on stream-of-consciousness sentences just to get to the end, which was a disappointment anyway.
Lisa
I enjoyed the way Blatty included film and book references throughout but overall the story was disappointing, and I felt rushed. It was like he was trying to get it all into an hour drama when it was really a mini-series. I liked his main character Joey. He does inject great humorous lines and I'm sure others will enjoy the book. I don't really think it's a book club book.
Nina
This one kind of sneaks up on you. When I finished it, it was with a feeling of "meh", but in retrospect the concept of this short novel is really interesting. In the end, I think I have more appreciation for what it was trying to do than its actual execution.

If you are reading this because you adored "The Exorcist", this book couldn't be farther away in tone and theme.
  • The Magic Kingdom
  • The Pack (The Pack, #1)
  • Up & Out (Red Dress Ink)
  • Red Cat (John March, #3)
  • Bret Easton Ellis's American Psycho: A Reader's Guide
  • Greek Myths
  • Absent Friends
  • Brooklyn Noir
  • Spurious
  • Unsympathetic Magic (Esther Diamond #3)
  • The Screwed Up Life of Charlie the Second
  • Bone Thief
  • Mister X (Frank Quinn, #5)
  • Finny
  • The Kid
  • Same Time Next Year
  • Crossing the Lion (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #9)
  • Adagio
William Peter Blatty is an American writer and filmmaker. He wrote the novel The Exorcist (1971) and the subsequent screenplay version for which he won an Academy Award.
Sourced from Wikipedia
More about William Peter Blatty...
The Exorcist Legion Dimiter Elsewhere The Ninth Configuration