Start by marking “Crazy” as Want to Read:
Crazy

Crazy

2.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  298 Ratings  ·  77 Reviews
Bestselling author William Peter Blatty warms our hearts with a funny yet deeply moving nostalgic tale of memory, mystery . . . and miracles.

New York, 1941: Joey El Bueno is just a smart-aleck kid, confounding the nuns and bullies at St. Stephen’s school on East 28th Street when he first meets Jane Bent, a freckle-faced girl with red pigtails and yellow smiley-face barrett
Published November 9th 2010 by Forge Books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Crazy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crazy

Benjamin Stahl
Sep 04, 2015 Benjamin Stahl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With this book, acclaimed horror author William Peter Blatty has told a story uncharacteristically bright and sentimental.
Coming from the guy who wrote the infamous novel, The Exorcist, as well as its uniquely unsettling sequel, Legion, this simple story of a boy who meets a charmingly mysterious young girl and, through his rare and extraordinary encounters with her, falls in love, sounded interesting enough on its own. The fact that Blatty wrote it made me very keen to read it.

Those who haven
Viji Sarath (Bookish endeavors)
Jane asks El Bueno somewhere in the novel,"Past,present and future.. What's the difference.?" Well.. It might not have any difference in the ultimate sense,but it does in the world of writing. All these tenses were mixed in a very disturbing format that at most places,it became difficult to comprehend. And as for the twist the author brought at the end,it was the worst kick anyone could've given a reader. I guess I should give it one more star because Vonnegut says and this book professes,"for f ...more
Joey
Feb 25, 2015 Joey rated it it was amazing
Blatty is a master of similes and metaphors in this novel. If the run on sentences lose you, then you were skimming and missed a wonderful story in your haste. Beautifully written, beautifully crafted, a really superb book. The low rating is so misleading. I promise that this is a Goodread.
Meghan
Jun 13, 2011 Meghan rated it it was ok
I've been trying to stretch outside my normal limits of what types of books I read.

This one was a curious find.

Once I learned to skim the run-on sentences really fast, looking for the few funny parts, it started to read a bit quicker. One of those books I "just had to get through" for most of it. It felt forced, but a slight twist at the end made up for some of that.
Fabian
Apr 04, 2016 Fabian rated it really liked it
Although it shares some themes with his magnum opus, W. P. B.'s "Crazy" is about getting possessed by the spirit of goodness, not evil. It is the antithesis to "The Exorcist"... quaint, colorful, concise, but very very sarcastic. I had not read a narrator this sarcastic in a long while; perhaps this is why the novella feels somewhat too unimportant until it all comes together amazingly in the last 12 pages or so, when all is revealed. In so short a text, we have time warps, pearly idylls, racism ...more
John J Questore
Mar 28, 2015 John J Questore rated it it was ok
I have enjoyed a number of Mr. Blatty's books and when I saw a copy of Crazy at the Dollar Store, I though I'd be crazy not to buy it (first edition hard cover).

Now I can say I was crazy for reading it. First, it took me exactly 2 months to read this 188 book - it took me less time to read War and Peace.

Reading it was like having to choke down a spoonful of Castor oil after each page. Blatty take loquacious to a whole new level with this book - with one sentence almost 24 lines long! I found mys
Melissa Burke
Mar 16, 2014 Melissa Burke rated it did not like it
I'm not entirely sure how to go about reviewing this book seeing as (to me) it wasn't a great read.
The one good thing I can say about it is that the plot was very interesting.

The problem though is that the story wasn't written very well. I could barely follow what I was reading. Every time I reached a run-on sentence (which was a lot) I had to skim it just to get to the next sentence, therefore missing out on a lot of the book.

Another thing is that it wasn't very memorable - I finished it abo
Jodi
Sep 19, 2011 Jodi rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
The title says it all - this book is just plain crazy and quite frankly, I don't even understand how it got published. It is just all over the place and doesn't make a lot of sense. I kind of guessed the main character is not all together mentally but still.........crazy. One might argue that I read the book too quickly and didn't dig for the deeper meaning and missed all the symbolism and hidden messages. One might even argue that I am intellectually not capable of reading this book despite my ...more
Virginia
Dec 07, 2010 Virginia rated it it was amazing
While reading this book I wasn't sure I liked it, but come the end I loved it. It is a story about love, but you don't realize it until the end. The first half of the book is a fun story about a boy growing up. You may have to plow through the third quarter of the book, but stick with it--it is a short book. I found the father a bit undeveloped/unbelievable. It is written from Joseph's point of view, so the father is seen through his eyes and he is influenced by Jane. Maybe Joseph just isn't as ...more
Elaine
Jun 12, 2013 Elaine rated it did not like it
Shelves: gave-up-on
I cannot get through this book. The story is alright but the long, winding, never-ending sentences are too difficult to read. I'm getting lost in the sentences, skipping ahead to the next sentence, and missing parts of the story. The story is also not very memorable-- I couldn't remember the story or the characters after putting the book down for less than 24 hours.
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
I kind of had a feeling this book might be really good, since it was written by the author who penned The Exorcist! Well... it lost it's luster about 2-3 chapters into it. I could not follow it even if the girl levetated and then put bandaids on her artifical Christmas tree as decorations. I'm lost....
Abbe
Sep 20, 2012 Abbe added it
Shelves: in-library
From

Sassy humor and gentle nostalgia is the surprisingly effective combination employed by Blatty, master of the horror genre and the author of The Exorcist, in this fond look back at 1940s- era New York. As 80-year-old Joey El Bueno begins his memoirs while a patient at Bellevue Hospital, he introduces his adolescent alter ego, a wisecracking Peruvian-Irish kid with an affinity for driving the staff at St. Stephen’s Grammar School batty. But the nuns aren’t the only ones going a little crazy;

Paula
Jan 24, 2012 Paula rated it liked it
I have not read the Exorcist or any other Blatty works, nor did I realize this is the same author. That said...wow. This book is nostalgic, funny and maybe a little drug induced. I'm only about half way through, so I suppose it could still take a turn for the disturbing...I suspect there will be some sort of mental break/revelation, but thus far, main character Joey is just goofy and likeable even if he is prone to bizarre stream of consciousness ramblings* that are without punctuation or, for t ...more
Amy
Dec 11, 2010 Amy rated it really liked it
If you are looking for a truly unique read, Crazy by William Peter Blatty is the book for you! Joey El Bruno, the narrator and now resident of Bellevue Hospital takes the reader back to the New York of 1941, when he first meets an exceptional girl named Jane, and begins to experience time shifts. Throughout the slim novel Joey explains his unusual encounters with Jane, who has an uncanny ability to show up during Joey’s most morally trying times. She always brings with her cryptic advice and kno ...more
Jackie Lane
Aug 03, 2015 Jackie Lane rated it it was ok
I hate to rate books under 3 stars, but this book for me, unfortunately, felt disjointed and I was confused through the majority of the book. That being said, I think certain people would find merit in this book, but I, personally, felt like I was not getting the "funny" parts of the book.

2 stars
Katie
Aug 21, 2015 Katie rated it liked it
I think in run-on sentences and do not read with a red pen poised to correct errors, so the writing style didn't concern me. I liked getting to know Joey; he made me laugh and think. See page 38, "...not talking but refueling our souls..." Crazy is a lovely little book.
Suzanne Cooper
Feb 18, 2015 Suzanne Cooper rated it did not like it
Shelves: no-good
Picked-up on sale at a book re-seller, thought the cover blurb sounded so good. Author of "The Exorcist", I was hoping for a goose-bump or two. I tried to like this story of a guy who is 'crazy'---but it was so disjointed--it drove ME crazy! Thankfully under 200 pages.
Kris
Oct 06, 2015 Kris rated it really liked it
This narrative is really a crazy ride! El Bueno tells the story of his mysterious friend Jane, and throughout time he weaves some crazy dialogue into a truly introspective charmer. Wonderfully lyrically with gems of writing worth copying down. A real surprise.
Dale
Apr 15, 2014 Dale rated it it was ok
An interesting concept for a story, which might have been expanded upon more fully. It is hard to believe this author wrote "The Exorcist", and yet his interest in otherworldly happenings prevails. This book is confusing in the first half, then begins to captivate.
Loripdx
Jan 31, 2011 Loripdx rated it it was ok
I was somewhat disappointed. It is such a short book that I kept reading, figuring the story HAD to get better all of a sudden, right? Wrong! One paragraph stood out to me 29 pages from the very end:

(view spoiler)
Sidster
Mar 15, 2011 Sidster rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
"Mr. Blatty, sir? You still have to write us another novel... you know... to fulfill the terms of your contract."
"Oh, yes, of course. Now, what's the most popular topic these days?"
"We're always up for a bit of nostalgia, sir."
"Brux! What else? What's the demographic on readers? Anyone still reading out there?"
"Ah... that would be those aging Baby Boomers, William. I mean Peter. Mr. Blatty. Sir."
"I got it! Nostalgia. Baby Boomers! A bit of the Time Traveler's Wife thrown in for fun. And I'll eve
Lisa
Sep 11, 2014 Lisa rated it it was ok
Blah! I expected so much more from this. What I did get is this: The Exorcist was apparently Blatty's finest moment... and maybe his only.
Dawn
Nov 11, 2011 Dawn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one.
Recommended to Dawn by: The bookcover caught my eye in the store...what a disappointment it turned out to be!
Crazy was a perfect title for this book! Not at all what I expected. Certainly one of the times where the saying "Don't judge a book by its cover" applies. I thought I was getting a sweet Christmas themed, childhood story. Not at all! Fortunately, this book was under 300 pages or I would have never been able to finish it. I stayed with it because I had to find out if I was right on who the character Jane really was. I don't think I have ever read a book before with so many run on sentences. I wa ...more
Jan
Feb 15, 2016 Jan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Would have been more enjoyable had I read it straight through rather than having months lapse before completing. Interesting.
Wisestofcrones
May 31, 2015 Wisestofcrones rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
. . .dialogue drove me crazy. . .sorry, but lot's of references I wasn't familiar with. . .interesting characters & setting.
Lisa Ahronian
May 12, 2014 Lisa Ahronian rated it liked it
I kinda had this one figured out early on. And I found it a little slow in the beginning, but over all I enjoyed it.
Sherwestonstec
May 30, 2014 Sherwestonstec rated it liked it
A quirky little book to read in one sitting. Enjoyed it. Interesting story. I would recommend this!
Janebcolby
Oct 21, 2014 Janebcolby rated it it was ok
Was an ok book. After the first few chuckles I found it strained for humor.
Summer Seeds
Nov 26, 2015 Summer Seeds rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Crazy was a cute little story. It's all in the title. Crazy. At times I was confused as to what was actually happening. The writting jumped around a bit. But the story itself was nostalgic and quirky and the ending made me smile. When I picked up the book, it was because I rather enjoyed Blatty's other works (The Exorcist, Legion, etc.) and I thought to myself, Why not? It was nowhere near what I was expecting, but that isn't a bad thing. Cray is a nice little book that can be easily read in a s ...more
Sandra Alderman
Apr 28, 2014 Sandra Alderman rated it did not like it
Was pretty weird! I finished it, but won't read it again!
  • Up & Out (Red Dress Ink (Numbered Paperback))
  • Tough Luck
  • Bret Easton Ellis's American Psycho: A Reader's Guide
  • The Magic Kingdom
  • Greek Myths
  • Red Cat (John March, #3)
  • Absent Friends
  • Unsympathetic Magic (Esther Diamond #3)
  • The Screwed Up Life of Charlie the Second
  • Brooklyn Noir
  • Finny
  • Crossing the Lion (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #9)
  • Les Quatre vies du saule
  • The Grave of God's Daughter: A Novel
  • Mister X (Frank Quinn, #5)
  • Starfall
  • Snowball's Chance
  • Bone Thief
William Peter Blatty is an American writer and filmmaker. He wrote the novel The Exorcist (1971) and the subsequent screenplay version for which he won an Academy Award.
Sourced from Wikipedia
More about William Peter Blatty...