Start by marking “The Crocodile's Last Embrace (Jade del Cameron Mysteries, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Crocodile's Last Embrace (Jade del Cameron Mysteries, #6)

The Crocodile's Last Embrace (Jade del Cameron Mysteries #6)

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  242 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Now appearing in trade paperback original format: "One of the most appealing heroines to appear in the pages on a mystery" (Library Journal).

Returning from Europe, intrepid explorer Jade del Cameron arrives in Kenya with bittersweet memories-and the certainty that Africa is her home and Sam Featherstone the man she wants to share her life with. When a letter arrives fro
Published September 7th 2010 by NAL (first published July 29th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Crocodile's Last Embrace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Crocodile's Last Embrace

Presence by Perie WolfordPresence by Perie WolfordWild by Cheryl StrayedThe Night Circus by Erin MorgensternI Suck at Girls by Justin Halpern
Will Read in 2013
95th out of 134 books — 18 voters
Out of Africa by Isak DinesenWest with the Night by Beryl MarkhamThe Flame Trees of Thika by Elspeth HuxleyUnbowed by Wangari MaathaiThe Constant Gardener by John le Carré
Books Set in Kenya
76th out of 132 books — 63 voters

More lists with this book...

Johanna
Nov 06, 2010 Johanna rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This series is outside of my usual genre, but I still enjoy it very much. It takes place in Africa (not my usual favorite location, although I love Alexander McCall Smith's books too). The main character is a young woman who does not fit in to typical expectations (something I enjoy very much in female main characters). She hunts, flies planes, has a pet Cheetah, and generally finds herself surrounded by dead bodies. Good fun :)
Val Sanford
In this, the last in the series, Jade del Cameron must face her demons; those she left in France, and those she still faces in Africa. The failure of the British Protectorate to protect is irony not lost on Jade and as she struggles to find room in Africa for herself and the wilderness she loves, she must first face her fear of madness and of loss. With the first African Girl Guides troop taking part in her adventures, Jade is in good hands with eager teens wanting to practice first aid, trackin ...more
David Lucero
Sep 04, 2015 David Lucero rated it it was amazing
Suzanne Arruda has done it again! This 6th (and hopefully not the last) novel in the Jade Del Cameron series pits the female heroine against her nemesis Lilith Worthy, mother of her late fiance, David Worthy.

Jade lives an exciting life in Africa, but while her fiance is off in America selling his films, Jade is lonely. Her life is disrupted when a man appears to have been murdered for his stake in a supposedly rich gold mine. Jade begins helping the local inspector Finch to find out who the culp
Clockstein Lockstein
Oct 16, 2010 Clockstein Lockstein rated it it was amazing
The Crocodile's Last Embrace by Suzanne Arruda is the sixth book in the Jade del Cameron series. Jade's story picks up four months after Treasure of the Golden Cheetah. Her long-time love, pilot Sam Featherston, has left her in Africa to figure out if she truly wants him to be in her life while he tries to sell his film in Hollywood. While trying to lay to rest any remaining sorrow from her time in Europe as a nurse during WWI, she spends time in the battlefields and is horrified to see what app ...more
Viccy
Feb 08, 2011 Viccy rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-fiction
This was an entertaining read, as are all the books in this series. Jade del Cameron, a American who served as an ambulance driver in WWI, now lives in Africa in the Nairobi colony. As the story opens, she is pining for her boyfriend who has gone to America to sell his movie about Africa to the American audience. Sam told Jade he would return in four months; it has now been five and Jade is worried. Several mysterious deaths occur and Jade begins to suspect her old enemy, Lilith Worthy, has esca ...more
Sue
Sep 28, 2014 Sue rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, africa, kenya
Jade returns to Kenya after a trip to France during which she had been haunted by memories of her old beau, David Worthy, who had died during the war. Back in Kenya, there is still no word from Sam and then there are the hallucinations of David. Jade is convinced she is either losing her mind or someone is playing a nasty series of tricks. It turns out to be the latter when she learns that her old nemesis, Lilith has escaped from prison. Jade is in for the fight of her life.
A fitting conclusio
Katfish
Jan 29, 2016 Katfish rated it really liked it
Loved it! Perhaps my second favorite book in this series. Jade is an wonderful lead character with so much spunk who faces her most dangerous enemy to the very end.
Cherie
Jul 30, 2013 Cherie rated it really liked it
This is the 6th Jade Del Cameron adventure I have read and in my opinion, it is the best one so far. This book brings back Jade's nemesis from earlier novels for her final thrust. Jade's story, while certainly not the end of her life of daring and adventure, also reaches a very satisfying place, as she and Sam reunite. I love reading about Africa and all of Jade's adventures happen in Africa. The "unknowns" in this mystery adventure really kept me guessing right up till the end. I hope that Arru ...more
Wendy
Jun 21, 2013 Wendy rated it it was amazing
This book took me back to what I loved about the first few books in this series. It centered on the mystery and less on the descriptions of the flora and fauna of Africa. The final showdown between Jade and Lilith as well as decisions about her relationships with Sam and Harry are all neatly wrapped up in this book.

From what I can gather from the author's website this book was not intended to be the final book of the series, but it did end in a good way if it does end up being the final one. I
Mar 03, 2016 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: africa, mystery
I really like this series so much! Just plain fun!
Deena
May 19, 2011 Deena rated it liked it
Rebecca
Mar 21, 2011 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Jade is still reeling from the abrupt departure of Sam Featherstone, and goes to France to try to clear her head. This seems to confuse her further, because she is haunted by images of her dead fiance David Worthy. When Jade returns to Africa, she receives a letter allegedly from David reading, "Why did you let me die?" All of this adds up to the most fast paced, suspenseful book in the Jade del Cameron series so far. I loved the conclusion and can't wait for the next book.
S.R.R. Colvin
Oct 25, 2011 S.R.R. Colvin rated it it was amazing
This is a fabulous mystery/adventure by Arruda set in British East Africa. The Jade del Cameron mysteries are always well-paced and thought out. I especially love that the main character is quite able to take care of herself.

Jade is the next "Tomb Raider" type of leading lady. I can't wait to see her walk across the big screen.

(‿)
Carolyn
Kenya 1921. British colony then. The author brings a lot of interest to this murder mystery: history, politics, wildlife lore, Kikuyu culture, the geographic landscape around Nairobi, and romance. Jade del Cameron is the brave and very skilled adventurist featured in the series. A fun read.

Likethereporter
This series is over the top and purple of prose, but fun to read. I'm sorry to have finished it. Looking forward to the further adventures of Jade and co. Appreciate Jelani's point of view about the impacts to his culture and his resentment of the occupation, although I worry for him.
Michelle BF
Nov 07, 2010 Michelle BF rated it really liked it
Great series! And this time love finds Jade on her own terms!

The Crocodile's Last Embrace
Catherine Woodman
These books are more enjoyable than I would think from a period mystery--but I am not as in love with them as I was when I first read them. This is the fourth, and it is still good, and I will read the next as well.
Marilyn Thompson
Aug 17, 2015 Marilyn Thompson rated it really liked it
Have Thoroughly enjoyed each book in the series. The look at Africa after the First World War was especially interesting. The author makes the African continent come alive.
Emily
Oct 31, 2011 Emily is currently reading it
A bit of fluff in the Marion Ravenwood vein. And I do mean fluff. The basic story could make a great screenplay,but its really a potboiler. Good writing for what it is.
Debbie
Sep 28, 2010 Debbie rated it really liked it
This was a particularly good entry in this series set in 1920s Kenya. The book was a little long and the evil protagonist was a little too Cruella da Ville, but a fun read.
Rose
Oct 15, 2010 Rose rated it it was amazing
Kim
Apr 19, 2012 Kim rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012booksread
The writing in this series has gotten a lot better. These still aren't great literature, but they're fun and I really like the time period and setting.
Nancy Bowen
May 31, 2013 Nancy Bowen rated it really liked it
So Jade and Sam finally make a commitment. About bloody time! But will Suzanne Arruda write more Jade del Cameron mysteries? Please, oh please do!
Kristi
Nov 05, 2015 Kristi rated it really liked it
I liked it. It was my first book from Arruda. I enjoyed Jade's character and learning more about Africa.
Patricia B
Jan 21, 2012 Patricia B rated it liked it
Enjoyable tho somewhat predictable...is this the last of the "Jade" novels?
Mary
Apr 06, 2011 Mary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Maybe I'm getting tired of the same plot.
Joanne Dayer Hoffman
Dec 11, 2015 Joanne Dayer Hoffman rated it it was amazing
Finally found out the fate of Lillith.
Annie Michelle
Apr 11, 2012 Annie Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
an excellent jade Del Cameron mystery
Debbie
Dec 20, 2010 Debbie rated it really liked it
liked the villan being a female
Africa 2 2 18 hours, 24 min ago
  • The Conjurer
  • Angel with Two Faces (Josephine Tey, #2)
  • Strange Images of Death (Joe Sandilands, #8)
  • Death Watch (DI Peter Shaw & DS George Valentine, #2)
  • Ancient Spirits (Daisy Gumm Majesty, #6)
  • Mercury's Rise (Silver Rush, #4)
  • Beacon Street Mourning (Fremont Jones, #6)
  • Faux Reel (Imogene Museum Mystery #5)
  • Dandy Gilver & A Deadly Measure of Brimstone (Dandy Gilver #8)
  • Law of Return (Tejada, #2)
  • A Year of Cats and Dogs
  • When the Devil Drives (Liberty Lane, #4)
  • Requiem in Vienna
  • Valley of Dry Bones (Medieval Mystery, #7)
  • Sunrise Song (Treasures of the Heart #4)
  • Louise's Dilemma (Louise Pearlie, #3)
  • The Mottled Lizard
Suzanne Arruda, a former zookeeper-turned-science teacher and freelance writer, is the author of several biographies for young adults. She has also published science and nature articles for adults and children and is a regular contributor to a weekly newspaper supplement. An avid hiker and outdoorswoman, she lives in Kansas with her husband, twin sons, and a small menagerie of pets.
More about Suzanne Arruda...

Jade del Cameron Mysteries (6 books)
  • Mark of the Lion (Jade del Cameron Mysteries, #1)
  • Stalking Ivory (Jade del Cameron Mysteries, #2)
  • The Serpent's Daughter (Jade del Cameron Mysteries, #3)
  • The Leopard's Prey (Jade del Cameron Mysteries, #4)
  • Treasure of the Golden Cheetah (Jade del Cameron Mysteries, #5)