Start by marking “The Whartons' Stretch Book” as Want to Read:
The Whartons' Stretch Book

The Whartons' Stretch Book

Whether you're a serious competitor or weekend warrior, you know that proper stretching before and after your workout can improve your performance, increase your flexibility, help prevent injury, and make you feel better. But did you know that the traditional way of stretching -- lock your knees, bounce, hold, hurt, hold longer -- actually makes muscles tighter and more pr ...more
Published July 9th 1996 by Harmony

To ask other readers questions about The Whartons' Stretch Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Whartons' Stretch Book

Rob
Jul 20, 2012 Rob rated it it was amazing
I can use keyboards without pain because of this book.
This book explains the reasons for several, if not all, repetitive stress injuries.
Before I found this book I could no longer play my synthesizer because I had
overworked myself to the point where I would experience throbbing pain for
two weeks or so, after playing for just ten minutes. It was a nightmare.
After reading the sections of this book that applied to me, I started doing the
exercises every day.

I can't remember exactly how long i
Martha
Feb 19, 2014 Martha rated it it was amazing
Excellent how-to book for stretching all muscles of the body. The Whartons worked with the Olympic athletes of the Lake Placid games. This book is an excellent guide for all people who need to stretch their muscles for flexibility and strength. Injury prevention is the key with low impact. I'm using many positions for my Tai Ji Quan class. Highly recommend for those who are suffering from back pain.
Jerry Gartner
Sep 16, 2014 Jerry Gartner rated it it was amazing
An excellent resource for athletes and non-athletes alike. It's not the traditional stretch that most of us are used to. I've seen great results getting warmed up and reducing swelling and speeding recovery after runs. You don't have to have aches and pains - just good stretch regimen!
Davis
Jan 18, 2014 Davis rated it it was amazing
Stretch techniques in this book really do work.
John Harris
Jul 28, 2009 John Harris rated it liked it
Shelves: recommended
I was recommended this book by my chiropractor. I have followed the instructions and completed a full self assessment. I have developed a stretching program and now have to make sure I follow it. So far so good. The stretches seem to help and I definitely feel better after each session.
G
May 19, 2009 G rated it really liked it
Shelves: partially-read
Written almost casually with even more basic pictures. But I found the information worthwhile. I still haven't had enough self control to create a better workout or stretch routine, but someday my body will thank me because I know how. :)
Megan
Oct 16, 2011 Megan rated it really liked it
All excercises are explained in detail with illustrations. I took a class from a former student of the authors. The stretches were very helpful increasing my range of motion with a frozen shoulder and relieved muscle spasms in my legs.
Hope
Aug 07, 2008 Hope rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anybody and everybody
This book is OUTSTANDING. I've got a copy to keep on its way to me - The library won't let me keep it as long as I want to keep it :)
Jun 25, 2008 Jennifer rated it did not like it
Their program of stretching takes an hour a day, every day. I don't care what benefits they claim, no one will be able to stick with it.
Sorqaqtani Beki
The Whartons' stretch book : featuring the breakthrough method of active-isolated stretching by Jim Wharton (1996), 1st ed
Charlotte
Nov 15, 2008 Charlotte rated it it was amazing
Great info. We should all do what this book says.
Melanie Birch
Melanie Birch marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2016
Sheyper
Sheyper marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Phyllis Marchitelli
Phyllis Marchitelli marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Anelia
Anelia marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Joe Oaster
Joe Oaster rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2016
Jennifer Marquis
Jennifer Marquis rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2016
Max Martin
Max Martin marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Derek
Derek rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2016
Ruger
Ruger added it
Jun 02, 2016
Sarah S Avery
Sarah S Avery rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2016
James Doherty
James Doherty rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2016
Brett
Brett marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Grayce Butler
Grayce Butler marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Bruce Jackson
Bruce Jackson marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Sep 12, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Women Who Run
  • Power Yoga: The Total Strength and Flexibility Workout
  • Trail Guide to the Body: How to locate the body's muscles, bones and more (Third Edition)
  • Travell & Simons' Myofascial Pain and Dysfunction: The Trigger Point Manual: Two Volume Set: Second Edition/Volume 1 and First Edition/Volume 2
  • Understanding Thermodynamics
  • Vegetarian Times Vegetarian Beginner's Guide
  • The Sustainable Vegetable Garden: A Backyard Guide to Healthy Soil and Higher Yields
  • Advanced Compiler Design and Implementation
  • Linear Algebra and Its Applications [with CD-ROM]
  • Joyride: Pedaling Toward a Healthier Planet
  • Fundamentals of Logic Design
  • Distributed Operating Systems
  • Machinery's Handbook
  • Effective Cycling
  • A Treasury of Sunday Strips
  • The Art of Focused Conversation: 100 Ways to Access Group Wisdom in the Workplace
  • Aircraft Gas Turbine Engine Technology