The Biography Of A Grizzly

The Biography Of A Grizzly

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  117 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Wahb fulfills the destiny of a silvertip grizzly bear in this Bison Book reprint of Ernest Thompson Seton's classic, originally published in 1900. In vivid language and in seventy-five drawings, the author of Animal Heroes captures for a new generation of readers the freedom and danger, joy and pathos, of Wahb's life.

After his mother and siblings are shot by a cattle czar,
Published January 29th 2010 by Hardpress Publishing (first published 1899)

To ask other readers questions about The Biography Of A Grizzly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Biography Of A Grizzly

Jason
I run in to grizzly bears on the trail sometimes while hiking in Glacier National Park. They always bound off in to the forest as they tend to be solitary creatures. Nevertheless these moments always leave me with a sense of wonder and appreciation for these terrifyingly beautiful creatures.

Having read 2 scientific books about grizzly bears and their habitat I was impressed with how accurate ETS's information in this story was. It was fun to be able to step in to the life of a grizzly, see what...more
Annie
I listened to this as an audio book on my phone, and at the end found myself in tears because of it's poignancy. Biography of a Grizzly is a heartfelt and also heartbreaking tale of an orphaned cub who grows to learn the wilds of life on his own.

The book addresses the impact of man on nature and Wahb's life but finds a lot of strength in not portraying all men as evil. Only a 90 minute audio book, it is definitely worth the time!
Cherry
This maybe describe the life of too many animals. At moments, it sounded like the biography of a human being with a wounded childhood.

Interesting, but not as catching as the story of the Springfield Fox or Billy the dog.
Bruce
At some point in my early childhood - probably about 60 years ago -I discovered Earnest Thompson Seton. And of course, I also found Wahb the grizzly, raggylug the rabbit, the cutthroat trout and a host of others that inhabited a wilderness I never knew existed. What wonderful, thrilling stories. I vividly remember crying at the end of Wahb's story. I don't think I understood the power of great writing and storytelling until then. Writers like Seton made me an avid reader as a child, and I've nev...more
Amanda Norton
An excellent read...

Beautifully written, the author captures each moment in a way that you almost feel as though you're in the story. If a bear had the ability to write his story, in short, a legacy, this would surely be one that "bears" repeating. In part, this may not be for everyone, however, I found it to be a great story, and I highly recommend it.
Connie  Kuntz
Wahb (meaning White Bear) is an orphaned Grizzly Bear who learns to respect his fears, fight for peace, and trust the healing powers of a stinky hot-spring.

The story is aptly titled The Biography of a Grizzly because it is about the life of a Grizzly.

Seton writes with a folksy tone that enlightened my kids to the gore and war that Grizzly Bears endure. I thought it was fun to learn (through Wahb's story) about their life span, their diet, their ability to survive gunshots and bear-traps. I als...more
Hiroshi Tomita
Quick read into the mind and life of a grizzly. I can see why this author was so influential to Sir David Attenborough. A bit raw at times but a good read for kids.
Cindy
Apr 02, 2011 Cindy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Shawn and his boys, Jessi and anyone who loves nature stories.
Read this years ago and always liked this story and Lobo King of Currumpaw too. They are together in the hardcover. I'd recommend reading it to the boys Shawn. I think if they like nature, they'd like these stories. Biography of a Grizzly is about a bears life, from cub to old age, starts out with his Mother and 3 brothers and sisters being shot and Wahb being left alone.

Lobo is about a remarkable wolf pack that Lobo leads and their downfall. Probably said too much already but it won't take away...more
Kathy
For those of you who know me....this is an old "Tayntor" book. It is the best book to read to kids. I LOVED this book when my dad read it to me. I've read it to my kids as well. Of course, it probably helps that we live among bears and have been to Yellowstone and the Tetons which are all referenced in the book. Our editions are from the early 1900s and the illustrations are fantastic. Not sure how they look in the modern paperbacks. Read it on your next camping trip!
Julia
This is the story of a big, old grizzly bear who roamed far and wide in his time and gained quite a reputation. It is told from the bear's perspective with a folksy, breezy attitude that keeps you riveted to all of his experiences, from being orphaned as a cub, through his years as king of the forest, to his inevitable final days. Written for children, it is over-flowing with amazing facts about bears.
Kenneth
This was one of the few books that my father recommended to me. It's a long time since I read it and my father has since departed which means that I may be letting sentiment determine my rating. Nevertheless, I have fond memories of this book and the well written but honest way it deals with the cycle of life. I recommend it.
Rudy
This is a great book for young adults, I read it originally at age 6. A wonderful tale of life and wildlife from a bears perspective. This is one of the few books I still recommend to anyone of any age.
Willow
Jul 10, 2008 Willow rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
My mom read this as a read aloud a long time ago and it was a great book. It's like it was written by a bear and he writes about what he does and everything. You learn a lot about grizzly bears too.
Bob Steen
Interesting perspective inside the head of a grizzly. If it didn't start with mama grizzly getting shot and end with protagonist grizzly dying, it would be a good one for the kids.
Lulu
I loved it so much, I would deffinately read it again. It just made me feel so fragile afterwards..
Steve Shilstone
Another story I ate up as a little guy. Neat biography told from the bear's viewpoint.
S Glenn Krochmal
Great children's book and I read it a 8 years of age.
Jackson
Fun book to read with the kids.
Norman Cook
AKA King of the Grizzlies.
Rory
Rory marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Lu Cip
Lu Cip marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Ele Dick
Ele Dick marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
What's The Name o...: Bear book from its POV - pre-1990s - YA [s] 3 14 Feb 13, 2013 09:08PM
Ernest Thompson Seton was a Scots-Canadian (and naturalized U.S. citizen) who became a noted author, wildlife artist, founder of the Woodcraft Indians, and one of the founding pioneers of the Boy Scouts of America (BSA). Seton also heavily influenced Lord Baden-Powell, the founder of Scouting. His notable books related to Scouting include The Birch Bark Roll and The Boy Scout Handbook. He is respo...more
More about Ernest Thompson Seton...
Wild Animals I Have Known Two Little Savages Rolf in the Woods: The Adventures of a Boy Scout with Indian Quonab & Little Dog Skookum The Gospel of the Redman Animal Heroes: Being The Histories Of A Cat, A Dog, A Pigeon, A Lynx, Two Wolves & A Reindeer And In Elucidation Of The Same, Over 200 Drawings