Start by marking “Egg Monsters from Mars (Goosebumps, #42)” as Want to Read:
Egg Monsters from Mars (Goosebumps, #42)

Egg Monsters from Mars (Goosebumps #42)

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  2,458 ratings  ·  56 reviews
Which came first, the monster or the egg?

An egg hunt. That's what Dana Johnson's bratty little sister, Brandy, wants to have at her birthday party. And whatever Brandy wants, Brandy gets.

Dana's not big on egg hunts. But that was before he found The Egg. It's not like a normal egg. It's about the size of a softball. It's covered with ugly blue and purple veins.

And it's st
Published 1996 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about Egg Monsters from Mars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Egg Monsters from Mars

Cameron
So... this is one of the few Goosebumps books I had never read as a kid, so I decided to pick it up on Easter Sunday. (Appropriate, amiright?). While the cover is classic Goosebumps, the story is definitely not. It just wasn't as good as the other books and didn't have enough monster action. It was more of a mad scientist story, which should have been awesome but wasn't. The whole book seemed to be just a build-up to that corny punch-line at the end. Definitely not Stine's best twist ending.

FINA
Tracey
This book was one of the more realistic ones I've read from this series. I could totally see some weird scientist keeping a child captive for alien experiments. The last line had me scratching my head though. How did he lay the egg? It says he "crouched down"...so that means it must have come out of his...OH HELL NO! lol
Brittany Perry
Must say I love when the unknown is actually not harmful. I mean so what the guy laid an egg at the end. I thought it quite humorous.
Leon RE
Slightly gross, slightly disturbing with the mad scientist, but also some sad and weirdly touching moments with the egg monsters.
Carmen
Apr 28, 2015 Carmen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Kids; Parents
I glared angrily at Dr. Gray. "You have to let me go," I insisted in a trembling whisper.

His expression softened. "Please don't stare at me like that," he said. "I'm not a bad guy. I don't want to frighten you. And I don't want to keep you in this lab against your will. But what choice do I have? I'm a scientist, Dana. I have to do my job."

Yeah, I'm sure your job as a scientist involves kidnapping children, you sick fuck.

This Goosebumps book was intense! I couldn't turn the pages fast enough, OM
Timothy
THIS BOOK WAS REALLY REALLY GREAT AND PRETTY SCARY TOO! I THOUGHT THE EGG MONSTERS WERE TOTALLY GROSSTASTIC BUT IT TURNS OUT THEY'RE NOT EVEN REALLY MONSTERS! WELL, THEY ARE KIND OF MONSTERS BUT THEY'RE ALSO KIND OF COOL, TOO, LIKE A FRANKENSTEIN WHO'S FRIENDLY. DR. GREY IS A TOTAL JERKWAD AND I DIDN'T LIKE HIM MUCH BUT HE WAS AN EVIL SCIENTIST SO I GUESS BEING AN EVIL SCIENTIST WOULDN'T MAKE YOU A NICE PERSON TO BE AROUND.

ACTUALLY, THERE'S A GUY NAMED GREY IN THAT 50 SHADES OF GREY BOOK OLD PE
Raevyn ~I Stand For Jesus~
Listen, about 98% of Gossebumps books have terrible endings, but this one just takes the cake! Ugh!

The plot up until then, though, was great.
Alysha DeShaé
So a kid goes missing while saying he's going to a specific lab and the parents don't verify all the rooms? Not in this day and age!
Kymara Stephens
I no longer eat eggs since I read this book many moons ago!
Colton
I must say, I've always been attracted to the underdog books of the series. Everyone who read Goosebumps as a kid read One Day in Horrorland or the Slappy trilogy, but it seems some books just didn't make the popular reading list. Well, with a name like Egg Monsters from Mars, we're already in dangerous waters. In a scene that mirrors the opening of Eragon, the protagonist finds a strange egg. However, instead of hatching a CGI-animated dragon it hatches... an egg monster. Stuff happens, eventua ...more
David Santos
Don't be fooled by the two star rating. On Goodreads a 2-star rating = "it was ok." and it was ok. I can not emphasize the poor endings enough. This one ended "I laid the biggest egg you ever saw!" Now, Dana was walking with his friend Brandy. So, where exactly did he lay that egg and how? Did his pants fall off? It was just a gross and weird ending. Yes I did say Dana is a he. I got confused easily when other characters were introduced. All had girly names. There's only one male Dana I know and ...more
Carlos Tineo
Pretty good. A typical Stine book: the kid who finds something odd and/or scary, no one believes him, he gets into trouble and almost dies... Then comes the super cliché ending with "everything's ok blablabla" OR a WTF-just-happened ending. This is one of the latter.

But still these books are really entertaining and you can read them in less than a day. And they bring a lot of childhood memories.
Glenn
Currently rereading my original Goosebumps collection

A silly but enjoyable entry in the Goosebumps series. It has all the elements of a classic sci-fi/horror story. Weird martian creatures? Check! Evil mad scientist? Check! A ridiculous ending? Check and check! All this and Stine's trademark charm. This is one kids will love.

Read from June 2, 2014 - June 2, 2014
Eddie Reyes
I loved how the egg shell was described. I'm a fan of green so I pictured it vividly. The story was good. The ending was funny and also gross.
Afiqah
Cerita Bob Stine kali ni, bagi aku kurang umpph! Macam biasa, every end chapter akan ada unsur suspens. Tapi bagi aku, jalan cerita tak variety. Penceritaan tentang satu situasi ada yang sampai beberapa bab. Pacing tak laju. Tapi I always love his writing. Funny and creative. (:

Sinopsis:
Dana jumpa satu telur aneh kat belakang rumah dia masa birthday party adik dia, Brandy. Telur tu warna hijau dan ada urat warna purple and blue. Surprisingly, urat tu berdenyut seolah-olah bernyawa. Pagi esoknya,
Autumn G
These teenagers were on an egg hunt. One of the teenagers little sisters wants to have a party while their parents are out for a while. At the party, they have an egg hunt... There was one egg... One egg that didn't look right. It was the size of the softball and it was green. It was spoiled, but not like any spoiled egg it wasn't, it started o hatch. Read this book to find out what that egg was, why it was there, and what happened.
Rebecca McNutt
On a side note, I love this book's strangely adorable cover with the egg carton and the little yellow alien monster. Tim Jacoby always does wonderful covers for the Goosebumps series.

Egg Monsters From Mars is one of R.L. Stine's better kid's books. It's original, imaginative, funny and creepy all at once. Unfortunately it has the same choppy sentences and limited vocabulary that all the Goosebumps books have (Welcome to Dead House being the only exception.
Keegan
Dana bratty little sister decides to have an easter egg hunt for her birthday party. Dana is not very exited about the hunt, but that is before he finds a extra ordinary egg. When he finds out what the egg is he is shocked, but not as much as he learns where it came from. The genre is horror and I really liked this book
Jesse Salcido
What I think of this book is okay but there's things that are being questioned from the book with no answer. Like what are these egg monsters created from and how.
Jessica
Read this book with my son for a class project. Made me remember just how much I loved RL Stein as a kid, then Christopher Pike as a teen. Good times.
J.N.
I really loved this one when I was younger. Since it's sort of Easter-y and I met R.L. Stine last Saturday, I decided it might be fun to re-read this.

This is probably still one of my favorites. I liked Dana as a character and the whole Easter-egg party was a pretty cool idea. Then there's the egg monsters, who I also thought were cool and the sort of Goosebumps monsters I wouldn't mind meeting.

The only thing that made me shake my head in disbelief was the ending. Though to be fair, it's also a
Max
Oct 19, 2007 Max rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who's bored.
Shelves: advisory
This book was kind of stupid. The kid who finds the egg got kidnapped and then even his own parents forgot about him. Only the alien that he found in the egg protected him. In the end, he got back to his parents and the alien survived. I forgot what happened to the doctor/kidnapper.
This book was boring because the alien was a good guy. Usually, in all the Goosebump books, the scary thing is the villain. I think this book was kind of stupid, even though this proves the alien had feelings while th
Sarah C.
I love R.L. Stines colection goosebumps and they don't realy scare me but this one gives me the creeps. Like the part were Dana finds a wierd green green egg with purple and blue vains and is the size of a softball. Puts it in his sockdraw and it hatches the next morning. He does not know what it is but its gross and looks like scrambled eggs. Another wierd part is when Dana takes the wierd creature to a sience lab and he finds out that its a martian from mars and since he touched it and knows a ...more
Noorai Alraeesi
قراتها عندما كنت صغيرة، اذكر ان الوصف كان جيد و تعلمت كلمة (قرفصاء) من هذه القصة
Alex
This book was kind of weird, but in a good way.
Drucilla
Actual rating: 3.5 stars. I would have given this book four stars had it not been for the stupid, stupid ending. For the most part, I thought the book was great. I loved the story. The egg monsters were a little gross, but I thought they were cute too.(view spoiler) but I was willing to overlook that. The ending, though...ugh, I really don't think R.L. Stine thought about that ending and how stupid/gro ...more
We Writers
Do you like scary stories? Then Goosebumps monster eggs is the story for you. The main character Dana loves science and wants to be a scientist when he grows up. But one day he finds a huge indestructible green egg in his backyard. Oh and he takes the egg to a science lab and something terrible happens. Will Dana get to keep the egg or is there something dangerous about it. Read the rest of the story to find out. ...more
Ninhathor
In this book the story started out with a safe little egg hunt in dana johnson's backyard. But then, something weird happens. Dana finds an egg. But this egg is no ordinary everyday white chicken egg. It's the size of a softball first of all, it's covered with blue patches, and pulsing purple veins. Whenever Dana picks it up, it almost feels like it's breathing, and it's beggining to hatch!
Stephanie Tuell
a typical r.l. stine story. dana finds a weird egg. at first he thinks it's a turtle egg, but when it hatches, it isn't a turtle. he takes it to a local lab to see what it is, but he soon discovers that was big mistake.

the story was excellently written. r.l. stine's wrting really makes you feel like you are part of the story.
Patrick
Goosebumps. This is the series that kept me reading through my childhood. More than any other series, Goosebumps kept me interested in reading, and R.L. Stein is a wonderful children's writer. I applaud his efforts, and can't express enough my gratitude for the series.
  • The Discovery (Animorphs, #20)
  • Return of the Mummy (Goosebumps Presents TV Episode, #4)
  • The Girl Who Cried Monster (Goosebumps Presents TV Episode, #1)

R. L. Stine b
More about R.L. Stine...

Goosebumps (1 - 10 of 62 books)
  • Welcome to Dead House (Goosebumps, #1)
  • Stay Out of the Basement  (Goosebumps, #2)
  • Monster Blood (Goosebumps, #3)
  • Say Cheese and Die! (Goosebumps, #4)
  • The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb (Goosebumps, #5)
  • Let's Get Invisible! (Goosebumps, #6)
  • Night of the Living Dummy (Goosebumps, #7)
  • The Girl Who Cried Monster (Goosebumps, #8)
  • Welcome to Camp Nightmare  (Goosebumps, #9)
  • The Ghost Next Door  (Goosebumps, #10)
Welcome to Dead House (Goosebumps, #1) Night of the Living Dummy (Goosebumps, #7) Say Cheese and Die! (Goosebumps, #4) The Haunted Mask (Goosebumps, #11) One Day at Horrorland (Goosebumps, #16)