Start by marking “Egg Monsters from Mars (Goosebumps, #42)” as Want to Read:
Egg Monsters from Mars (Goosebumps, #42)

Egg Monsters from Mars (Goosebumps #42)

3.44  ·  Rating Details ·  2,937 Ratings  ·  81 Reviews
Which came first, the monster or the egg?

An egg hunt. That's what Dana Johnson's bratty little sister, Brandy, wants to have at her birthday party. And whatever Brandy wants, Brandy gets.

Dana's not big on egg hunts. But that was before he found The Egg. It's not like a normal egg. It's about the size of a softball. It's covered with ugly blue and purple veins.

And it's st
Published 1996 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about Egg Monsters from Mars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Egg Monsters from Mars

Jun 26, 2016 Cameron rated it it was ok
So... this is one of the few Goosebumps books I had never read as a kid, so I decided to pick it up on Easter Sunday. (Appropriate, amiright?). While the cover is classic Goosebumps, the story is definitely not. It just wasn't as good as the other books and didn't have enough monster action. It was more of a mad scientist story, which should have been awesome but wasn't. The whole book seemed to be just a build-up to that corny punch-line at the end. Definitely not Stine's best twist ending.

Γιώτα Παπαδημακοπούλου
Όχι, όχι, όχι... απλά, όχι! Δεν καταλαβαίνω ποια ήταν η λογική του συγγραφέα πίσω από την δημιουργία του συγκεκριμένου βιβλίου, δεν φαντάζομαι σε ποια διαστροφή στήριξη την ιδέα του όλου εγχειρήματος, αλλά όχι... Δεν απέδωσε, δεν ήταν τρομακτικό, δεν ήταν καν αστείο...
Brittany Perry
Jul 10, 2013 Brittany Perry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Must say I love when the unknown is actually not harmful. I mean so what the guy laid an egg at the end. I thought it quite humorous.
Apr 28, 2015 Carmen rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Kids; Parents
I glared angrily at Dr. Gray. "You have to let me go," I insisted in a trembling whisper.

His expression softened. "Please don't stare at me like that," he said. "I'm not a bad guy. I don't want to frighten you. And I don't want to keep you in this lab against your will. But what choice do I have? I'm a scientist, Dana. I have to do my job."

Yeah, I'm sure your job as a scientist involves kidnapping children, you sick fuck.

This Goosebumps book was intense! I couldn't turn the pages fast enough, OM
May 10, 2012 Timothy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This book was one of the more realistic ones I've read from this series. I could totally see some weird scientist keeping a child captive for alien experiments. The last line had me scratching my head though. How did he lay the egg? It says he "crouched down" that means it must have come out of his...OH HELL NO! lol
Leon RE
Apr 23, 2013 Leon RE rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, horror
Slightly gross, slightly disturbing with the mad scientist, but also some sad and weirdly touching moments with the egg monsters.
Alysha DeShaé
So a kid goes missing while saying he's going to a specific lab and the parents don't verify all the rooms? Not in this day and age!
Kymara Stephens
Jul 18, 2012 Kymara Stephens rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I no longer eat eggs since I read this book many moons ago!
Sep 21, 2015 Colton rated it did not like it
Shelves: reviewed
I must say, I've always been attracted to the underdog books of the series. Everyone who read Goosebumps as a kid read One Day in Horrorland or the Slappy trilogy, but it seems some books just didn't make the popular reading list. Well, with a name like Egg Monsters from Mars, we're already in dangerous waters. In a scene that mirrors the opening of Eragon, the protagonist finds a strange egg. However, instead of hatching a CGI-animated dragon it hatches... an egg monster. Stuff happens, eventua ...more
David Santos
Nov 08, 2011 David Santos rated it it was ok
Don't be fooled by the two star rating. On Goodreads a 2-star rating = "it was ok." and it was ok. I can not emphasize the poor endings enough. This one ended "I laid the biggest egg you ever saw!" Now, Dana was walking with his friend Brandy. So, where exactly did he lay that egg and how? Did his pants fall off? It was just a gross and weird ending. Yes I did say Dana is a he. I got confused easily when other characters were introduced. All had girly names. There's only one male Dana I know and ...more
Source: I borrowed this book from Openlibrary.
Cost: Unknown

Title: Egg Monsters from Mars
Series: Goosebumps #42
Author: RL Stine
Overall Rating: 2 stars

I can't read books that have any form of scientific or medical testing or conspiracies in them without feeling uncomfortable. Why did he have to kidnap a kid? I don't understand how this is a thing, or how this has been a thing in real life? Anyway, Brandy was annoying, Dana was okay but this story was kind of weird.
Carlos Tineo
Feb 16, 2015 Carlos Tineo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good. A typical Stine book: the kid who finds something odd and/or scary, no one believes him, he gets into trouble and almost dies... Then comes the super cliché ending with "everything's ok blablabla" OR a WTF-just-happened ending. This is one of the latter.

But still these books are really entertaining and you can read them in less than a day. And they bring a lot of childhood memories.
Jun 02, 2014 Glenn rated it really liked it
Currently rereading my original Goosebumps collection

A silly but enjoyable entry in the Goosebumps series. It has all the elements of a classic sci-fi/horror story. Weird martian creatures? Check! Evil mad scientist? Check! A ridiculous ending? Check and check! All this and Stine's trademark charm. This is one kids will love.

Read from June 2, 2014 - June 2, 2014
E. Reyes
Mar 14, 2014 E. Reyes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-in-2014
I loved how the egg shell was described. I'm a fan of green so I pictured it vividly. The story was good. The ending was funny and also gross.
Marts  (Thinker)
Jul 14, 2015 Marts (Thinker) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-reader, goosebumps, 2015
Another weird goosebumps tale with an even weirder ending which just leaves some adult imagination wandering...
Oct 27, 2016 Oelnoury rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
في سعي لانهاء تحدي قراءه 120 كتاب هذه السنه . ولكوننا الان في نهايه شهر اكتوبر .فقد سعيت في قرائه الروايات الجيب كل يوم مع كتاب اخر
ووجدت هذا الكتاب وانا في الجامعه (ويياريتني ملقتها(
روايه-او قصه بمعني اصح- ممله غير منطقيه مليئه بالاغطاء و المستحيلات الكونيه :D
البيض خرج من المريخ بسبب اعصار في الكوكب وجه الارض في سنتين (يصلاه النبي)
بس ياسيدي البيض وقع في الجنينه و الواد الصغير لقاه و و خدها علي علي اساس انها بيضه فرخ ( ملاحظش انها في حجم ضعفين البيضه العاديه و لا ان لونها اخضر و لا ان ليها عر
Evan Macrone (Will work For Books)
Oct 11, 2016 Evan Macrone (Will work For Books) rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Evan Macrone by: If you like knowing the outcome of everything chapters before the reveal.
Shelves: dog-crap
Ok, so after seeing what an atrocity Attack of the Jack-O-Lanterns was, I decided to revisit a bunch of randomly selected Goosebumps book that are collecting dust on my shelf. Anyway, on to the review.

This is a monstrosity. Really. Not because of the flat, bland-as-white-rice writing- no, no, that rings true for ALL goosebumps books-but because of how unforgivably, horribly, terribly, abominably predictable it is.

I'm not kidding about this next part. There is an event in this book,
I liked the beginning part because I remember it vividly from the dozens of goosebumps books I read as a child. Especially the thing about the ostrich. That was actually quite funny. But the author clearly doesn't know shit about Mars, outer space, or how a fucking meteor shower works. And clearly he doesn't care because his audience his children and they don't deserve even the slightest bit of credit when it comes to brains. Even kids have a limit to their suspension of disbelief. And anyone wh ...more
Dec 29, 2015 Jay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Before reviewing the book, I want to review the cover. "Egg Monsters from Mars" is definitely one of my favorite covers in the series. It's colorful, simple, and straightforward. It is pretty similar in style to "Welcome to Camp Nightmare" another great cover.

And the book is decent too. This is another where the parents are stupid and the villain is actually a human rather than a monster. In the story, Dana finds a strange egg during his sister's egg hunt birthday. When he takes it to the local
Mar 17, 2013 Afiqah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cerita Bob Stine kali ni, bagi aku kurang umpph! Macam biasa, every end chapter akan ada unsur suspens. Tapi bagi aku, jalan cerita tak variety. Penceritaan tentang satu situasi ada yang sampai beberapa bab. Pacing tak laju. Tapi I always love his writing. Funny and creative. (:

Dana jumpa satu telur aneh kat belakang rumah dia masa birthday party adik dia, Brandy. Telur tu warna hijau dan ada urat warna purple and blue. Surprisingly, urat tu berdenyut seolah-olah bernyawa. Pagi esoknya,
Coos Burton
Aug 26, 2016 Coos Burton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
¡Cuidado lector, está a punto de llevarse un susto!

Esta es una historia super corta sobre un muchacho llamado Daniel, el cual tiene una hermanita llamada Brandy, una pequeña carismática que siempre se sale con la suya. Se acerca el cumpleaños de Brandy, y por ese motivo, ella pide que se lleve a cabo en su fiesta un juego llamado "búsqueda de huevos" tanto para ella, su hermano y los invitados. Como sus padres no pueden negarle nada, le cumplen el capricho, y ahí comienza la acción. En un luga
Sarah C.
Apr 28, 2011 Sarah C. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love R.L. Stines colection goosebumps and they don't realy scare me but this one gives me the creeps. Like the part were Dana finds a wierd green green egg with purple and blue vains and is the size of a softball. Puts it in his sockdraw and it hatches the next morning. He does not know what it is but its gross and looks like scrambled eggs. Another wierd part is when Dana takes the wierd creature to a sience lab and he finds out that its a martian from mars and since he touched it and knows a ...more
Oct 19, 2007 Max rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who's bored.
Shelves: advisory
This book was kind of stupid. The kid who finds the egg got kidnapped and then even his own parents forgot about him. Only the alien that he found in the egg protected him. In the end, he got back to his parents and the alien survived. I forgot what happened to the doctor/kidnapper.
This book was boring because the alien was a good guy. Usually, in all the Goosebump books, the scary thing is the villain. I think this book was kind of stupid, even though this proves the alien had feelings while th
I really loved this one when I was younger. Since it's sort of Easter-y and I met R.L. Stine last Saturday, I decided it might be fun to re-read this.

This is probably still one of my favorites. I liked Dana as a character and the whole Easter-egg party was a pretty cool idea. Then there's the egg monsters, who I also thought were cool and the sort of Goosebumps monsters I wouldn't mind meeting.

The only thing that made me shake my head in disbelief was the ending. Though to be fair, it's also a
Rebecca McNutt
Apr 12, 2015 Rebecca McNutt rated it really liked it
On a side note, I love this book's strangely adorable cover with the egg carton and the little yellow alien monster. Tim Jacoby always does wonderful covers for the Goosebumps series.

Egg Monsters From Mars is one of R.L. Stine's better kid's books. It's original, imaginative, funny and creepy all at once. Unfortunately it has the same choppy sentences and limited vocabulary that all the Goosebumps books have (Welcome to Dead House being the only exception.
Greg Kerestan
Jan 26, 2016 Greg Kerestan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
When I was a little kid, reading Goosebumps books like crack, I was terrified that the mad scientist actually wanted to kill the kid protagonist (the egg monsters aren't all that important to the story, believe it or not). As an adult, revisiting these through the "Blogger Beware" experience, I'm rooting for the mad scientist. Fun fact- when I typed the name of this book into the search bar, it said, "Are you sure you don't mean 'Oliver Twist?'" Don't I wish.
We Writers
Nov 22, 2013 We Writers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Do you like scary stories? Then Goosebumps monster eggs is the story for you. The main character Dana loves science and wants to be a scientist when he grows up. But one day he finds a huge indestructible green egg in his backyard. Oh and he takes the egg to a science lab and something terrible happens. Will Dana get to keep the egg or is there something dangerous about it. Read the rest of the story to find out.
Autumn G
These teenagers were on an egg hunt. One of the teenagers little sisters wants to have a party while their parents are out for a while. At the party, they have an egg hunt... There was one egg... One egg that didn't look right. It was the size of the softball and it was green. It was spoiled, but not like any spoiled egg it wasn't, it started o hatch. Read this book to find out what that egg was, why it was there, and what happened.
Jun 12, 2012 Drucilla rated it liked it
Shelves: goosebumps
Actual rating: 3.5 stars. I would have given this book four stars had it not been for the stupid, stupid ending. For the most part, I thought the book was great. I loved the story. The egg monsters were a little gross, but I thought they were cute too.(view spoiler) but I was willing to overlook that. The ending, though...ugh, I really don't think R.L. Stine thought about that ending and how stupid/gro ...more
  • The Discovery (Animorphs, #20)
  • Return of the Mummy (Goosebumps Presents TV Episode, #4)
  • The Girl Who Cried Monster (Goosebumps Presents TV Episode, #1)
  • Night of the Living Dummy II (Goosebumps Presents TV Episode, #5)

R. L. Stine b
More about R.L. Stine...

Goosebumps (1 - 10 of 62 books)
  • Welcome to Dead House (Goosebumps, #1)
  • Stay Out of the Basement  (Goosebumps, #2)
  • Monster Blood (Goosebumps, #3)
  • Say Cheese and Die! (Goosebumps, #4)
  • The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb (Goosebumps, #5)
  • Let's Get Invisible! (Goosebumps, #6)
  • Night of the Living Dummy (Goosebumps, #7)
  • The Girl Who Cried Monster (Goosebumps, #8)
  • Welcome to Camp Nightmare  (Goosebumps, #9)
  • The Ghost Next Door  (Goosebumps, #10)