Peter the Great

Peter the Great

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  5 reviews
"Stanley now proves her skill as a biographer with her story of Peter the Great, the extraordinary tsar of the 17th and 18th century Russia. She focuses on Peter's 'life's work: bringing Russia into the modern world.' Her material is presented with . . . a plethora of details that are sure to fascinate children".--Publishers Weekly. Full color.
Published March 1st 1992 by Aladdin Paperbacks (first published January 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Peter the Great, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peter the Great

Mandy Beyers
A very short book about Peter the Great - the Tsar who drug Russia (kicking and screaming) into more modern times. This is a children's book, so it is not very detailed, but the artwork is beautiful and there is enough information to whet the appetite about a historical figure whose name I knew, but not much else. I did find it very interesting that he learned to do things from the ground up (like shipbuilding), and wanted to do away with people being given positions they had not earned from sta...more
Great book with lots of pictures to portray the life of Peter the Great in Russia. The pictures were very fitting to the story, and I'm glad the books portrayed both sides of Peter's life and ambitions: both the good and bad. Appropriate for 3 to 5th grade range. My children like Diane Stanley's historical books.
Dolly
May 08, 2011 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fascinating look at the life of Peter the Great. I have had the wonderful opportunity to live in Saint Petersburg for a month and so I have seen first-hand the wonders of the "Venice of the North." I did not, however, learn as much about Peter as I did when I read this story.

The details were very interesting and I loved that he was as interested about learning how to build and sail (and even perform surgery) as he was in ruling the country. I did not know about some of the social chan...more
Ebookwormy
We have yet to be disappointed with Diane Stanley. This wonderful biography of Peter the Great captures both his hard work and impatience to revolutionize Russia. It also hints at the tensions created by Peter's rejection of the Russian nobility and high taxation of the people to fund his dreams. Diane Stanley does it again, and this one is a keeper!
Darlene
I read this book aloud to my daughters.

We really enjoy Stanley's biography series. This is the third one this month! The books are exquisitely illustrated, and the text is factual without being overwhelming for children.

We will look for more of Stanley's biographies.
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Joanna
Joanna marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Marcee
Marcee marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Rachel
Rachel added it
Jul 02, 2014
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Bonnie
Bonnie added it
Jun 05, 2014
Trisha
Trisha added it
Jun 01, 2014
Stephanie Coy
Stephanie Coy marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Linda Lipko
Linda Lipko marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Krystal
Krystal marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Carol
Carol added it
Mar 14, 2014
Emh
Emh added it
Feb 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Bella at Midnight The Silver Bowl (Silver Bowl, #1) Rumpelstiltskin's Daughter The Mysterious Case of the Allbright Academy Michelangelo