Start by marking “Kipps” as Want to Read:
Kipps

Kipps

3.34 of 5 stars 3.34  ·  rating details  ·  491 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Orphaned at an early age, raised by his aunt and uncle, and apprenticed for seven years to a draper, Artie Kipps is stunned to discover upon reading a newspaper advertisement that he is the grandson of a wealthy gentleman - and the inheritor of his fortune. Thrown dramatically into the upper classes, he struggles desperately to learn the etiquette and rules of polite socie ...more
Published December 27th 2005 by Penguin Classics (first published 1905)

To ask other readers questions about Kipps, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kipps

Eugenia
I wound up thoroughly enjoying the second half of _Kipps_, where Wells stops his merciless mockery of the eponymous anti-hero and begins instead to poke fun at himself. Favorite lines include Kipps's enthusiastic determination to set himself up as a bookseller because all books are the same -- "If you don't like one book, you take up another; it's not something that really matters, like print dresses or serviettes."
Issicratea
I read this book for a very specific reason, which will not be of relevance to too many readers—I have just bought an apartment in Folkestone, where Kipps is set, and I was curious to read an account of it in its brief late-Victorian moment of glory. Kipps didn’t disappoint on that front. Wells portrays Folkestone quite vividly, as a wealthy, showy, brittle, snobbish, look-at-me resort town, contrasted with humbler Hythe, where the protagonist feels more at home.

This parochial interest aside, I
بسام عبد العزيز
كرهت بشدة محاولات كيبس المستمرة للالتصاق بتلك الطبقة الغنية المرفهة بأي شكل!
كيبس كان شابا فقيرا و لكن هبطتت عليه ثروة "من السماء كما يقولون" و كل ما فكر فيه هو أن يكون داخل تلك "الطبقة الإجتماعية العليا" .. فهو قد أصبح غنيا مثلهم. .أليس كذلك؟!
هذا التفكير الذي يجبره على محاولة تغيير كل شيء فيه.. عاداته.. لبسه.. معارفه.. و حتى طريقة نطقه للحروف حتى يكون ملائما للوسط الإجتماعي الجديد..
طوال أحداث الرواية كرهت تلك الشخصية جدا .. لماذا تصر على هذا؟ أنك تعيش بشكل جيد بما يكفي! لديك العائلة و الأصدقاء
Alan Wells
On the surface this may seem like a satiric and stilted tale of an "everyman", but as I took it in and reflected on the story, it seems more a deeply personal journey in reaching some level of self-actualization amidst confusing and overbearing social pressures. Set around the early 20th century in Great Britain, Arthur Kipps experiences the everyday challenges of boredom and the relentless tortures of social expectations as he's growing up, and as a young man faces the harsh realities of barely ...more
Umang
Initially the book unfolds more or less like "The Great Expectations". The book gets funnier with Kipps entering adolescence and trying to make a mark among the ladies

There was a funny conversation between Kipps and Chitterlow. The funniest part was the conversation with Kipps reaching his drinking capacity and realizing, Chitterlow is a gut. The plot unfolds with Kipps getting hint of his family members in a news paper.

Kipps inherits fortune and is now in a different and strange world.

The recen
Yerbulan Akhmetov
The only Wells novel I have read and it's not even a science fiction.

As I mentioned, I haven't read any other of his works, but I think this one has a lot in common with them, even though it is not a science fiction.

In essence, it is still a story of a usual man who finds himself in a very unusual situation.
Nihal Eissa
نجمة علي عدد الصفحات اللي قريتها ومش ناوية اكملها .
Amy Wolf
A wonderful little book you hardly expect from sf master H.G. Wells. But the saga of Arthur Kipps in (I believe) Edwardian England really lets us into the life of a working man. The film Half A Sixpence with Tommy Steele was based on this.
Joshua
This book had its high points, but by and large I found the story rather unremarkable and extremely boring. I don't think it was terrible, Wells is a talented author after all, but this book just wasn't for me.
Tom Marcinko
Been long wanting to get beyond H.G. Wells's admittedly wonderful science fiction. Amazing to think he was probably better known for his later novels during his lifetime.
Billy Young
Wonderful tale made better by the fact that Half a' Sixpence was base on it. It is through Well's non sci fi works that you see how great an author he really was.
Alaric
Delightful insight into the period, Wells mixes high quality humour and pathos with a generous measure accurately portrayed human nature.
Lauren
Really charming novel about class with lots of biographical info about Wells thrown in. Thoroughly enjoyable. I loved the ending.
Mark
Sep 24, 2008 Mark marked it as to-read
Described in a recent roundup in the Wall Street Journal as one of the five best British books on class distinctions.
Samantha Glasser
Aug 11, 2014 Samantha Glasser marked it as to-read
Read this book for free through Project Gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/39162/...
Sally
I think I enjoyed the film a lot more than I did the book.
Len
Lovely book. I associate it with Christmas time although perhaps I didn't read it in that season.
هديل الحمام
من الكتب التي قرأتها اثناء دراستي الأعداديه فقد كانت من مقررات منهجنا :)

لم أحبها :)
Alex
Jan 05, 2012 Alex marked it as to-read
Recommended to Alex by: Anna
Anna says this is Wells parodying Dickens, which sounds FUCKING GREAT, MAN.
Hossam Saed Samy
>>>>
Mary Smith
Half a Sixpence, Paramount musical is based on this book
Mana
the boring stories they make you study at school.
Stephanie
Interesting in a 1905 sort of way.
Shadan
still remember the sketch of arty kipps
Hnan
رواية عادية زيادة عن اللزوم ..
Paul Gallear
Sort of plotless and ambling, in a way.
Haya
The book is unforgettable ...
  • Kidnapped and Catriona
  • Alexandre Dumas' The Three Musketeers
  • Tom Brown's Schooldays
  • Sketches by Boz
  • Dance of Demons (Greyhawk: Gord the Rogue, #5)
  • Mrs Craddock
  • The Price of Power (Greyhawk Adventures #4)
  • The Lady Vanishes
  • The Coral Island
  • Witch Wood
  • Will You Always Love Me? and Other Stories
  • Orley Farm
  • The Village
  • The Life to Come and Other Stories
  • The Long Winter
  • Doctor Who: Planet of Fire (Target Doctor Who Library, No. 93)
  • The Green Millennium
  • Christopher and Columbus
In 1866, (Herbert George) H.G. Wells was born to a working class family in Kent, England. Young Wells received a spotty education, interrupted by several illnesses and family difficulties, and became a draper's apprentice as a teenager. The headmaster of Midhurst Grammar School, where he had spent a year, arranged for him to return as an "usher," or student teacher. Wells earned a government schol ...more
More about H.G. Wells...
The Time Machine The War of the Worlds The Invisible Man The Island of Dr. Moreau The Time Machine/The Invisible Man

“Room to swing a cat, it seemed was absolutely essential. It was an infrequent but indispensable operation.” 13 likes
“The bookshop of Kipps is on the left-hand side of the Hythe High Street coming from Folkestone, between the yard of the livery stable and the shop-window full of old silver and such like things—it is quite easy to find—and there you may see him for yourself and speak to him and buy this book of him if you like. He has it in stock, I know. Very delicately I've seen to that. His name is not Kipps, of course, you must understand that, but everything else is exactly as I have told you. You can talk to him about books, about politics, about going to Boulogne, about life, and the ups and downs of life. Perhaps he will quote you Buggins—from whom, by the bye, one can now buy everything a gentleman's wardrobe should contain at the little shop in Rendezvous Street, Folkestone. If you are fortunate to find Kipps in a good mood he may even let you know how he inherited a fortune "once." "Run froo it," he'll say with a not unhappy smile. "Got another afterwards—speckylating in plays. Needn't keep this shop if I didn't like. But it's something to do."...

Or he may be even more intimate. "I seen some things," he said to me once. "Raver! Life! Why! once I—I 'loped! I did—reely!"

(Of course you will not tell Kipps that he is "Kipps," or that I have put him in this book. He does not know. And you know, one never knows how people are going to take that sort of thing. I am an old and trusted customer now, and for many amiable reasons I should prefer that things remained exactly on their present footing.)”
3 likes