Start by marking “The Throat: Blue Rose Trilogy (3)” as Want to Read:
The Throat: Blue Rose Trilogy (3)

The Throat: Blue Rose Trilogy (Blue Rose Trilogy #3)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  2,292 ratings  ·  70 reviews
Peter Straub’s chilling Blue Rose Trilogy comes to an astonishing close—secrets unearthed, demons revisited, and mysteries solved.

The Throat. Tim Underhill, now an acclaimed novelist, travels back to his hometown of Millhaven, Illinois after he gets a call from John Ransom, an old army buddy. Ransom believes there’s a copycat killer on the loose, mimicking the Blue Rose mu
Published August 10th 2010 by Anchor (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Throat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Throat

mark monday
The Throat is an often brilliant thriller that is concerned with big questions about identity, the past and our memory of it, the demons that shape us and the demons we carry with us. It is intricately structured, densely layered, full of eerie and haunting dreams and flashbacks, and is impressively thoughtful in its take on murder and vengeance. As a third book in a trilogy, it also must extend and wrap up storylines started in the preceding novels Koko and Mystery – and for the most part it de ...more
Maciek
The Throat brings Peter Straub's Blue Rose trilogy to an end. A massive volume, spanning almost 700 pages, it requires a solid investment of time, attention and emotions. The curtains are slowly rolled up, revealing a stage set in Millhaven, Illinois, a fictional city modeled on Straub's own hometown of Millwauke. Although very loosely related, the three novels - Koko, Mystery and The Throat do form a coherent whole, along with certain short stories from Houses Without Doors and Magic Terror. Ev ...more
Dxmaniac69
The third book in the Blue Rose trilogy...

Holy crap this book affected me. The whole trilogy did actually. It's dark, really dark, so be warned. But it's damned effective.

First off, you really should read Koko and Mystery first. Technically the book stands alone and explains what you need to know at the beginning, but I feel this book is far more effective if you've read the first two books.

Second warning, this book does a bit of metafiction at the beginning that will make you question the firs
Tim
A LARGE (697 pages) tome, mostly a complex, multi-layered mystery, combined with some grossness (he DID write "Ghost Story," and collaborated with Stephen King on "The Talisman" and "Black House," both of which I highly recommend, after all) and both childhood and Vietnam trauma, vividly depicted. Complicated relationships, corruption, interesting characters, and a very satisfying ending, indeed overall a very satisfying read. Someone else did say that the description of computer savvy from 1994 ...more
S.L. Dixon
Nicolás Castañeda
It is a masterpiece. I got engaged from the first page and eventually read the book in 2 days because I couldn't stop as I wanted to know more and more about the riddles involving different topics like crime, war and madness. The novel could be tagged as a crime novel, but it is also a horror story. It shows us the the dark side of the human being. And there are some paragraphs really disturbing and frightening for example the sentence that talks about ghosts and how they envy us for being aliv ...more
My Inner Shelf
3ème volume de la trilogie Blue Rose.
J’adore Peter Straub, plus “littéraire” que Stephen King, plus descriptif aussi.
King nous fait entrer directement dans ses histoires, de manière abrupte, pour mieux être pris par son suspens, Straub y va mollo, tout en douceur, il prend son temps, et on est d’autant plus imprégné par les personnages et les situations que les descriptions sont très recherchées.
Les descriptions (chez les bons auteurs) ne m’ont jamais gênée (parait qu’il y a des gens qui aiment
Sridhar Babu
AUTHOR..
Peter Straub..

CHARACTERS..
Tim Underhill, John Ransom, April Ransom, Alam Bookner, Paul Fontaine, Michael Hogan, Fee Bandolier, Frankline Bachler Walter Dragonette, and Bob Bandolier...

LOCATIONS AS PER THE NOVEL..

Millhaven , New York, (USA..)

PLOT..

Millhaven ..USA..During 1945-1950's series of murders happen near by a hotel named St.Alwyn..First Victim was Arelette Monaghan a prostitute...second was James Treadwell a band player, third Montey Leland ..a broker and final murder was Hein
Reinhard
The Throat is the brilliant culmination of what Peter Straub began in Koko and then continued in Mystery and is the final chapter in the Blue Rose trilogy.
The Throat is an extension of Koko and Mystery. It takes certain unfinished and other brielfy introduced plot lines and brings them to a close. To fully appreciate The Throat is essential that you have read Koko and Mystery. That said, it is a long journey, neither of the books clocking in at under 500 pages, but it is worth it.
The Blue Rose b
Jane Anne
DO NOT READ THIS BOOK. I appreciate how Straub tells about small-town life, changes over years, love that. But this book....such a jumble of character and plot. Had no interest whatsoever by drawn-out end. WORST for me are his sexist depictions of women -- gaaaaaaaaah! Are either slick careerists, innocent victims, or dumb old blobs -- listen Straub, fat old broads who sit on porches can be on top of things as much as any male in a linen jacket.
Tabatha
It had a rocky start, a lot of tangents about the war in Vietnam, but it turns out that was important to the story so I got through it. Then so many other twists and turns I almost got lost. Also, this book is so long and has so many characters that, without taking notes, I had the darndest time trying to remember who the characters were talking about half the time. Overall though, I enjoyed it. Now I'll go read the other Blue Rose books.
Darren
Mystery is my favourite of the Blue Rose novels*, because it was the first I read, and because it has an innocence -a romance- that the others do not. But this is the best of them, contradiction be damned. A nearly perfect book.

* Which should be on every fan of crime fiction's bookshelf.
Fishface
Another horrifying Blue Rose mystery. Not to be missed. This story is so engrossing that it got me through one of the most traumatic experiences of my life. It just drew me completely away from real life, and reminded me that I could be even worse off than I was. Bravo, Mr. Straub.
Paul

Amazing. Take the best Stephen King you ever read, and then throw in Apocalypse Now, Sherlock Holmes, and more twists and turns than a twisty-turny thing. Can't rec the "Blue Rose" trilogy enough.
David B
Author Tim Underhill, who has appeared (sometimes) in the two previous books of the Blue Rose trilogy, returns to his hometown to help an old acquaintance from Vietnam. John Ransom's wife has been murdered in a manner reminiscent of a killer from the past, who may also have been responsible for the killing of Underhill's sister. In collaboration with Ransom and amateur sleuth Tom Pasmore, Underhill peeks beneath the skin of a Midwestern town to expose the corruption festering there.

This novel is
Jason
The final volume in the BLUE ROSE TRILOGY answers (almost) all questions one may have asked while reading KOKO & MYSTERY; however, it takes Straub A LONG TIME to express those answers. My only major criticism of Straub lies in his verbosity. He needs a new editor.
As a mystery THE THROAT is top-notch. Although there are a number of false endings (which get tiresome once the reader realizes there are hundreds of pages left to read), the detailed investigations, digressions, misunderstandings a
David Bonesteel

This novel is
Oluwaseyi Adekola
YES! I'm finally done with this lengthy ass novel, it was okay I guess, I kind of developed a connection with Tim Underhill. I liked his whole imaginative orientation. I think I also enjoyed the who was the blue rose killer thing, Straub kept messing with me that I thought It might have been me(no I didn't). This book is supposed to be the end of some trilogy but I don't think it's a Mystery that I'm not Koko for Peter Straub. He should stick to collaborations with Stephen King, Oops.
Steven
This engrossing crime-horror-thriller is set in the town of Millhaven, Illinois. Tim Underhill, a former resident, and now a successful writer, has published an account of the “Blue Rose” murders which gripped the town 40 years earlier. Now another “Blue Rose” murder has occurred and the victim’s husband calls Underhill back to Millhaven hoping he can help determine who killed his wife.

This intense psychological thriller is a thoroughly engaging story supported by vivid characterizations and det
Kirsten
A totally great mystery/thriller, not as supernaturally based as the other Straub novels I've read, but really excellent. Tim Underhill gets a call from an old friend named John Ransom, and learns that John's wife has been brutally attacked and is in a coma. Scrawled above her body were the words "Blue Rose," which connects her to a series of killings that took place thirty years ago -- and were thought solved. Is the Blue Rose killer acting from beyond the grave? Or is it just a copycat?

The pho
Cloudhidden
Jul 17, 2007 Cloudhidden rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any Straub fan
Once again Straub sucks the reader in immediately. I could not put the book down for the first 100 or more pages. I told my wife many times, I was on to a great book. But like other Straub novels, the pace slows a little and by the end, it just seems to fade.

I have found that I can forgive Straub for his endings because his vocabulary and figurative language are superb for the suspense genre. He is a great story teller, with great ideas, they just don't always end as great as they start.

But for
Glenda Hunter
The plot was good and the book was interesting for the most part but it was too long. There was too much detail. There were so many suspects that by the end of the book I was hoping the butler did it and there wasn't even a butler.

One of the most memorable and likable characters was Alan, a feisty yet senile, old gentleman, whose daughter was a murder victim. He was a sad example of the indignities of age-related mind degeneration, but also the strengths of the real mind come through.

Tim Underh
Otis Campbell
So much has gone
and little is new
And as the sunrise stream
Flickers on me,
My friends talk
Of glory, untold dream, where all is God and God is just a word
Gus Sjobeck
Although the murder-mystery plot of this novel is dense and difficult to follow at times, I was still able to enjoy reading it, after I accepted that I would not get a full view of the plot from just one read. It probably would have helped to read Koko and Mystery, loosely the first two novels of the Blue Rose series, first, but I was able to piece together the history from this novel alone, at least for the most part. I enjoyed the way it was written, even though there were times when I really ...more
M. D.
What a great book! A few years ago I read KOKO and, while it was pretty good, I remember not being really blown away by it. Then the other day, I thought I'd give THE THROAT a shot and was pulled into the story right away. And I've been engrossed in the story ever since, cracking the novel open every chance I got. The twists and turns of the plot are amazing and, honestly, I'm a little sad the story has come to an end. In fact, I think I'm going to give KOKO another go soon, just to make sure I ...more
Joshua Rubin
A fantastic book, drags a bit toward the end in the climactic scene, but just a tad, otherwise a great mystery. As far as needing to have read the first two books, I read neither and fully enjoyed this book, and nothing didn't make any sense to me. Avery solid mystery, reminds me a bit of Robert Wilson in style.
Cynthia Rielley
Mackenzie Brown
The Throat is a fabulous read. Dark, mysterious and filled with many twists and turns. (The third in The Blue Rose Murder series.) Tom Pasmore is now a grown man and like his father before him he is a bona-fide detective. He works together either Michael Underhill to help uncover the killer.
Some find Straub's narrative overlong and meandering but for me the throat is well written and kept my interest from start to finish. Highly recommended.
Geordie Jones
A very satisfying read that provided a satisfying conclusion to the "blue rose" trilogy. Well worth checking out.
  • Dead in the Water
  • The Blood of the Lamb
  • Sineater
  • Mine
  • The Doll Who Ate His Mother
  • Ghoul  (Special X, #2)
  • Crota: A Novel
  • The 37th Mandala
  • The Missing (Keeper, #2)
  • Lovedeath
  • Peaceable Kingdom
  • The Night Class
  • The Ceremonies
  • Lori
  • The Hour of the Oxrun Dead
  • Hellfire
  • Dead Man's Song (Pine Deep, #2)
  • Animals
Peter Straub was born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin on 2 March, 1943, the first of three sons of a salesman and a nurse. The salesman wanted him to become an athlete, the nurse thought he would do well as either a doctor or a Lutheran minister, but all he wanted to do was to learn to read.

When kindergarten turned out to be a stupefyingly banal disappointment devoted to cutting animal shapes out of heavy
More about Peter Straub...
Ghost Story Floating Dragon Shadowland Koko The Hellfire Club

“It is as though some old part of yourself wakes up in you, terrified, useless in the life you have, its skills and habits destructive but intact, and what is left of the present you, the person you have become, wilts and shrivels in sadness or despair: the person you have become is only a thin shell over this other, more electric and endangered self. The strongest, the least digested parts of your experience can rise up and put you back where you were when they occurred; all the rest of you stands back and weeps.” 27 likes
“The world is full of ghosts, and some of them are still people.” 16 likes