Girl's Best Friend

Girl's Best Friend (A Maggie Brooklyn Mystery #1)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  307 ratings  ·  51 reviews
Dogs are disappearing in her neighborhood, and Maggie Brooklyn Sinclair knows all about it. After all, she has a semi-secret after-school gig as a professional (ok, amateur) dog-walker. Maggie hates to see a pup in trouble, so she's even willing to help her ex-best friend Ivy recover her rescue-dog, Kermit. Kermit's being held for ransom, and Maggie has noticed some suspic...more
Published October 12th 2010 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens (first published August 24th 2010)

Out of My Mind by Sharon M. DraperFinally by Wendy MassMockingbird by Kathryn ErskineCountdown by Deborah WilesBecause of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea
Mock Newbery 2010/2011
37th out of 75 books — 173 voters
The Secret of the Old Clock by Carolyn KeeneThe Spider Sapphire Mystery by Carolyn KeeneMystery of the Secret Room by Janelle DillerGirl's Best Friend by Leslie MargolisMystery of the Ballerina Ghost by Janelle Diller
Girl's Mystery
4th out of 74 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Reading Vacation
I love mysteries. I like to pick up on clues, look for a motive, and consider different suspects. In Girl’s Best Friend, Leslie Margolis has the formula for a well-written mystery down pat. She drops subtle clues, includes foreshadowing, and leaves just enough up to the reader’s own imagination.

Maggie has all of the qualities of a great detective. She is smart, cunning, sneaky, and creative. I liked that Maggie was open minded to all sorts of scenarios that would explain who was stealing all the...more
Shazzer
As posted on Outside of a Dog

Mysteries, in general, have never been my thing. I read a little Agatha Christie, a little Encyclopedia Brown, and of course Nancy Drew, but the search for hidden clues was never as interesting to me as hidden Easter eggs (the real kind, not the DVD variety). I have had kids come to me asking for a good mystery, and for a long time, I had a very short reference list. The aforementioned Mr. Brown, “The Westing Game”, and for fun, Geronimo Stilton. But things have chan...more
Quetzalli Sanchez
My opinion about Girls Best Friend it is a really mysterious book about dog napping.

My first reason ,why this book is because this girl named Maggie is persistent.Maggie was always dressed in discusses to find the dog napper.Maggie would find evidence.Maggie would do anything that is possible.

Another reason,is she is really good to witness the problem.Maggie wouldn't be Fredrick Flogo Maggie would be Rocky the Rocketeer who does all the work.Maggie would ask people in a suspicious mood question...more
Craig
This is an excellent middle grade mystery. Maggie exudes personality and I really enjoyed her adventure. The quirky Park Slope residents are all nicely imagined and they really add to the story's crackle. The mystery was a bit more layered than expected, and featured a couple of interesting twists that added up to a great read. I look forward to reading the next in this series.
Anastasia Tuckness
This is a sweet story about a girl who's a dog walker and solves mysteries while doing it. It's marketed to Nancy Drew fans; I'm not entirely convinced about that comparison but it will appeal to girls who enjoy a bit of a puzzle and some unique characters along with their realistic fiction.

SLJ did a great review so I'm including it here for plot point reference--

From School Library Journal
Gr 5-7–Twelve-year-old Maggie Brooklyn is a dog-walker and a wannabe Nancy Drew. She gets her first chance...more
Brett
Readers of juvenile mysteries, take note: Maggie Brooklyn is going to be giving Nancy Drew a run for her girl-detective crown. Margolis does a great job of making Maggie completely real - very much an "everygirl" that most kids will relate to very easily. She also makes Maggie's Park Slope neighborhood in Brooklyn come alive.
During the course of the book, Maggie comes up against several very strange things in her accidental profession as dog walker. It's up to her to figure out if the strange th...more
Krish
Can I give it 3.5 stars? Middle-schooler Maggie Brooklyn lives in Park Slope, Brooklyn, and she has a lot going on. She takes kung fu and art classes, but also runs a secret dogwalking business. Secret from her parents, that is. When Maggie's twin brother, Finn, gets roped into inviting Maggie's ex-best friend, Ivy, to their joint birthday party, the mystery begins. Maggie catches Ivy stealing her dogsitting money, only to discover that Ivy's dog, Kermit, was being ransomed by a dognapper. Maggi...more
BookwormJayde
I didn't enjoy this book very much. In my opinion, it focused much more on Maggie's problems, rather than the mystery. It was only toward the end in which I actually felt like she was thinking about how to solve the dognapping, instead of just reading Nancy Drew. There are still some problems. 1. She likes Milo but is always to shy to say much of anything. And that's alright, but then she starts putting herself down: 'Oh, I not special. He wouldn't like me. He probably prefers Ivy. Blah, blah, b...more
Carly
Cute story. Good for upper middle grades. I did let my 4th-grader read it, though, and made sure we talked about some of my issues with the book, namely dishonesty and safety precautions.
Dena (Batch of Books)
This book is super cute. I've really started to fall in love with middle grade mysteries. The mystery starts right at the beginning and kept me guessing. I really didn't know who the crook was until the end. There are several mysteries all wrapped up together and happening at the same time. This would be confusing, but the author does a great job of keeping everything straight. Plus, it gives the story a little extra something because you have to figure out which mystery each clue is relevant to...more
Angela Liao
Maggie Brooklyn Sinclair has an ex-best friend called Ivy. She likes a boy called Milo and she walks a dog called Milo. This book talks about mystery and love. When I first read the blurb I found it really weird when I found out that dogs are disappearing. Who would want to catch dogs? I thought it was really nice how Maggie decided to help find her ex-best friend, Ivy's dog even though they're not friends anymore. I hope at the end of the book Ivy and Maggie will become best friends again. I wo...more
Paula
This book was really, really, really awesome! one of THE best books I've EVER read! The author, Leslie Margolis was able to blend the story together perfectly! I loved how it was from a (not completely) perfect girl's point of view, It was able to include mystery while adding the perfect amount of suspense not too short, but not dragging it on for way too long like some other books I've read. It had a good story line/ concept and an interesting ending. As a fellow tween, I'd recommend this to an...more
Georgia.gilroy
tis book is amazing so far and i think any girl would like this book.
Sabrina
This book is one of my favorite books! I enjoyed this book A LOT! It is mainly about a girl who solves dog mysteries. If you like books that talk about mystery, life, and friends, be sure to read this AWESOME book! This book is a long and thick book, but I understand the book. The topics were interesting, and I could picture every page's details. This book is probably good for 4th graders and up. I think that everyone should read this book, because it is VERY good, and I am not kidding!
Emily
Charmaine Clancy
Fun girls' mystery novel. I enjoyed the story idea, okay the solution was pretty obvious, but I could overlook that. I lost one star because of all the dating talk for 11-12yr olds. I would find crushes and budding relationships believable, but getting advice on datable locations from your twin brother? And parents aren't consulted before heading out to a movie theatre with your date? But great mystery and cute dogs too. It's a winner, I'll be reading the next in the series.
Myka Hasenauer
I honestly didn't think it was a very good book. I just couldn't get into it. :-/
Cathy
A savvy, sweet middle schooler has a dog walking job after school that brings extra cash, friendships and mystery. Set in uber-hip Park Slope, with wonderfully realistic great characters (crushes, ex-BFFs, quirky only-in New Yorkers), the puzzle of who is behind a series of dog-nappings makes a fun read. The ending's a bit tidy and silly, but I doubt any girl would mind!
Danceaw18zendayafan
It's so good. I actually tried to name my name Maggie Brooklyn, no kidding. Obviously I have to get used to it because it's one of my New Years resolution of the many. And Leslie margolis makes it sound so weird how she thinks milo is the best leaner in Brooklyn. And the ivy/Kermit problem and Brenda/dr Reese thing. And
SPOILERS on vanishing acts
Jennifer Estepp
pretty cute kid mystery set in park slope. although some aspects of the resolution felt a little unlikely to me, it was not to the point that i will strenuously object. especially because i really like the portrayal of the relationships betwixt the characters. also, i feared it was going to be a little to twee and hipster, so was glad when that fear was (mostly) unfounded.
StorySnoops
This wholesome speed read will be highly appealing to tween girls, especially those who are fond of dogs and mysteries. Maggie Brooklyn is an endearing character, with typical tween girl issues like crushes and friendship troubles. New York City is a fun backdrop for this amusing mystery... (click for full review http://www.storysnoops.com/detail.php...)
Amy
Genre: Modern fiction, mystery, problem/solution, middle reader
The author does an excellent job in this book of pulling the reader in. I really enjoyed reading it and wanted to read more when I was done. There is humore and problem solving as well as pre-teen situations. I think middle readers will enjoy the mystery and fun of this story.
Kathleen
Cute, nice, not the best book I've ever read, but enjoyable enough for tween readers. Probably too simple for YA. You can see the mystery and the solution coming a mile away, but the characters are well-drawn for the most part and the whole losing-your-best-friend-in-fifth-grade thing is spot on. I'm thinking precocious 4th graders.
Susan
This is the first Maggie Brooklyn mystery that I have read. Maggie is a dog walker in Brooklyn. She lives in a brownstone with several other families. Dogs from her neighborhood keep disappearing and her ex best friend needs her help recovering her dog. Maggie makes lots of astute observations and solves the mystery!
Patty
I loved Maggie, the dog walker. Bit by bit, she pieces together the puzzle of the missing dogs. Along the way she deals with her crush Milo, a former best friend and her twin brother Finn. Calling all girl mystery fans, I think you will enjoy this one. Hopefully there will be other mysteries to solve.
Jan
A delightful mystery for middle-graders. Maggie Brooklyn has a part-time job walking dogs after school. Luckily, she is also a bright, observant dog-walker, because when dogs start disappearing, she is the one who notices all the clues to solve the mystery. Fun and entertaining!
Kristine Pratt
3.5 stars.

Cute story about missing dogs and a girl on a rather personal mission to track down the thief. I liked the cast of characters and think it's a nice introduction to what is hopefully a nice long series. Fun read, nothing spectacular but a good way to pass the time.
Maia
This book was great. It was a light hearted mystery and I definitely think the author captures the essence of seventh grade very well. It was funny, and the characters had lots of quirks and were very interesting. I would read it again, and I hope it becomes a series.
Calcalsellars
I thought this would be a little-kid book. But no, it has an original mystery and relatable characters - not to mention the fact that it's set in Park Slope, the neighborhood in which I live - so I got all the references. How everything connects in the end is really well done.
Kathy
First book of a new girl detective series with a very likeable protagonist. Maggie thinks Nancy Drew is a bit too perfect but admires her can-do attitude and fearlessness. And she keeps Nancy in mind as she gets involved in solving a local dognapping.
  • Rules for Secret Keeping
  • The Vanishing Violin (The Red Blazer Girls, #2)
  • Violet in Bloom (Flower Power, #2)
  • The Midnight Tunnel (Suzanna Snow, #1)
  • Showoff
  • Sugar and Ice
  • Rule of Three
  • The Popularity Papers: Book Two: The Long-Distance Dispatch Between Lydia Goldblatt and Julie Graham-Chang
  • The Ghostwriter Secret (Brixton Brothers #2)
  • Olivia Bean, Trivia Queen
  • The Year of the Book
  • The Legend of Diamond Lil (J.J. Tully Mystery #2)
  • The Adventures of Nanny Piggins
  • Smells Like Treasure
  • Sweet Treats & Secret Crushes
  • Remarkable
  • Lulu Dark and the Summer of the Fox
  • Misty Gordon and the Mystery of the Ghost Pirates
Leslie Margolis at a young age aspired to be a writer, and she had been successful at it through her books. She lives in Los Angeles, California with her family.
More about Leslie Margolis...
Boys Are Dogs (Annabelle Unleashed, #1) Girls Acting Catty (Annabelle Unleashed, #2) Fix Everybody Bugs Out One Tough Chick