Start by marking “I Dream of an Elephant” as Want to Read:
I Dream of an Elephant
Preview

I Dream of an Elephant

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  122 ratings  ·  48 reviews
I Dream of an Elephant takes readers through a wondrous world where they will encounter elephants of many colorful shades that sing, dance, and play. Each page's descriptive sing-song text leaves out the last word, allowing little ones to chime in and complete the rhyme while learning a range of colors. Amusing color-themed illustrations provide clues for the words that ha ...more
Published May 4th 2010 by Abbeville Kids

To ask other readers questions about I Dream of an Elephant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Dream of an Elephant

Liane Marie

Category: Hardcover (English)

Hebrew Title: פילים בכל הצבעים

Age: 1-3+ years

Synopsis: In this book from Ami Rubinger, author and illustrator of “Big Cat, Small Cat” and “Dog Number 1, Dog Number 10,” we learn that elephants are a colorful bunch.

Bilingual benefit: This book introduces colors through whimsical illustrations and verse that requires the reader to complete the rhymes. Like many of Mr. Rubinger’s books, this particular one is available in both English and Hebrew. Our toddler is able
Allison
Rhymes, elephants, and gorgeous pictures---what's not to like? Because of the rhyming (and the pictures), Jordan was able to finish each line in the book, and because of the word patterns, Jordan was able to retell this story to her baby brother. The reading teacher in me LOVES that! The pictures really were interesting and beautiful; wish I could get a few prints for Jordan's room. This one might need to make its place in our home library.
Christian
This is a fun and adorable story for the little ones that allows them to learn colors as well as rhyming. Each verse leaves out the very last word so that the children can guess it. Clues are provided by way of the rhymes and colors on each page. Each page is full of beautiful and entertaining illustrations of elephants of various colors participating in different activities.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, and I imagined myself reading it to a group of children that would guess the mi
Katie
This is perfect for storytime, especially if it's a crowd you know will interact with the book. Kids won't be able to resist answering the book's rhymes!
Carol
Each two-page spread has an open-ended rhyme which the reader needs to guess on their own. There is an elephant that is doing something and the answer, which is not actually part of the text, is hinted at in the illustration. This is a book all about colors so the reader knows that every answer is a color. This little concept book is a fun way to help small kids identify and say various colors.
Mary
Thank you to Netgalley.com and Abbeville Press for allowing me access to this title.

This is a wonderfully illustrated little book. It encourages interaction with its almost rhymes and fun phrasing.

A delight to read again and again!
Mary Wirt
I really enjoyed this book. Shows the different colors and leads to a rhyme for each, but then doesn't actually say the color, allowing the reader (and listeners) to fill in the blank as fits for them.
Nicole
Bright illustrations in a double-page layout make it a great fit for storytime. As does the rhyming text that elicits a response from the audience. Great to work on concepts of color and rhyming.
Lauren
This was a cute color-based read. The writing was basic but the illustrations were beautiful and majestic. A+ for pictures.
Nicole
Looking at the cover of this book I probably wouldn't have thought twice about it. However, after flipping to the second page, I fell in love. The second page is all browns with pastel colored trees, flowers, and elephants. It is absolutely gorgeous. I Dream of an Elephant is a cute book where one page rhymes with the next as long as you can guess what color the elephant is. Not only is this a nice book to look at and a fun book to read, but it makes your child interact with it as they name off ...more
Paul  Hankins
Oh what to do when the orange elephant won't lend itself to the rhyme scheme set up by Rubinger in this delightful book. . .

Just dream of it later.

In the meantime, elephants of different colors are described with an invitation for the younger reader to fill in the blank with the intended color of the elephant making I DREAM OF AN ELEPHANT a natural pick for reading aloud with a younger reader.

Elephants skip, play, dance, make music, or just hang about with their friends.

Ashley
A great choice for a storytime about colors, I Dream of an Elephant gives plenty of opportunity for rhyme, rhythm, response, and interaction between the reader and the audience. Fun and amusing this is a great aloud for any environment.

Good for colors storytime.
Julie Barrett

I Dream of An Elephant by Ami Rubinger
Pub Date: March 22, 2010
ISBN: 9780789210586
Illustrated, very colorful children book.
This is the type of book that allows the child to fill in a blank with the answer they want.
The choices are usually a color and the colors of the items in question are shown. You can point to them.
Follows an elephant through their day, flowers, other animals, different forms of weather,
Can even be used a counting book.
Gphatty
Cute illustrations and fun story. But, even better, are opportunities for using this book. Each section depicts a different color elephant -- including pink, orange, and brown -- with a different rhyme to clue in readers/listeners as to what the color should be. Great for teaching rhymes or colors, and, if done well, it could be a lead-in to talking about dreams. Great multi-purpose book for very young children.
Sunnyvale Librarian
Author/illustrator, Rubinger makes learning colors tons of fun! Each two-page spread is dedicated to a different color and a frolicking elephant who offers a rhyme, "Watch out flowers, she's skipping ahead. I dream of an elephant whose color is..." Preschoolers will delight in finishing the rhyme and will look forward to turning the page to see which color is next.
Daniel
Ok, I'm probably reading way too much into this, but I have to admit that it bothers me that the brown elephant is lazy and does nothing while the pink elephant is a lousy dancer. Is this perpetuating racial stereotypes or am I way too sensitive? (I should say that this is based on reading the Hebrew original. I haven't read the English translation)
Maria
This is a fantastic picture book filled with colorful illustrations and fun text. I used this book in a pre-K story time, and the children loved the colorful elephants on each page. If you use this book in a group setting, be prepared to have a room full of attentive children shouting out the colors as you turn the pages.
Jay
I really liked this one!
teach your child colours with rhyming elephants.
nice bright pictures, each page focusing on one colour & it's elephant.
simple rhymes prompt child to say the correct colour each time.
I think it will soon be a favourite in our house

** thanks to NetGalley & the publishers for this copy!
Tracy
This is a fun little book. My daughter had fun reading it to me in the car this morning. Since this is a little kids book the story is very simple, and you learn about different colors. I think that this is a good book for toddlers since it is short and the pictures are very colorful and will catch a younger childs' attention.
What's not to like about many colored elephants? Will be using next week for my "colors" storytime.
Lisa
A story of elephants, told in color.

We really enjoyed reading this book. The illustrations are beautiful, the colors are absolutely delicious!

The way the story prompts you to finish the rhyme allowed my daughter to get much more involved in the reading.

A fun read.
Stefani
Definitely one of my new favorites. The only thing I really wasn't a fan of was that they didn't actually write out the color. But the illustrations are adorable, and while some of the rhymes weren't really rhymes, the book encourages children's participation, which I love.
zapkode.marie
This book helps to teach colors to young children. It is about elephants and it has a cute rhyme that flows nicely throughout the book. The bright colors and the illustrations help to make this a wonderful learning book for children in preschool-first grade.
Summer B.
Super cute illustrations, my three year old loved it! He loves word games and rhymes and the recurring theme of dropping a word (presumably so the child finishes it) worked like a charm. Wholeheartedly recommend this children's book.
Amy
This was a great book for Storytime (ages 0-5, as it allowed the kids to participate by yelling out the colour of elephants the author was currently dreaming about. The pictures are beautiful and catch both the parents and kids' eyes.
Marie
I can't wait to do this at Storytime! The children fill in the rhyme. The colors are bright and the illustrations are fun. The author/illustrator even finds a delightful way around the fact that nothing rhymes with orange!
Rebecca
This books is absolutely beautiful! I thought it would be cute to look through, which it was, but I opened the cover and just fell in love with how gorgeous each page is. Definitely a wonderful children's book!
Amanda Long
Another cute book to teach kids colors. Each page is filled with color clues in addition to the child being able to chime in with the rhyming color word. Very creative with the rhyming of orange.
Angie
This is an excellent book for learning colors. I love the fact that the name of the color is not provided but the kid (or parent) has to supply it. Very well executed book.
Melissa
I'm not a fan of the illustrations and the rhymes are okay but not great. I think this would actually work better as a flannelboard. And maybe I'd rewrite the rhymes. :)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Big Cat, Small Cat Dog Number 1, Dog Number 10 The Story of Somebody The Mouse That Jumped On Everybody's Head I Dream of an Elephant (Abbeville Kids)