Start by marking “Final Theory” as Want to Read:
Final Theory

Final Theory (Final Theory #1)

3.35  ·  Rating Details ·  1,371 Ratings  ·  185 Reviews

IN A BLAZING FICTION DEBUT, MARK ALPERT TAKES PHYSICS OUT OF THE CLASSROOM AND INTO THE HIGH-STAKES REALM OF ACTION, DANGER, AND A PLOT THAT COULD DOOM THE WORLD. . . .

An elderly physicist, one of Einstein’s last living colleagues, is brutally tortured, then left to die, when he refuses to reveal what he knows about a long-hidden secret—the solution to Einstein’s proposed

Published June 3rd 2008 by Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing Group (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Final Theory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Final Theory

K.D. Absolutely
Science weaved intricately to a suspenseful thriller. We have many trial lawyers who are successful novelists in the suspense thriller genre, but we have only one physicist. His name is Mark Alpert. He is currently an editor at the Scientific American and this is his first novel.

Released in 2008, it is about Albert Einstein’s other theory that we worked on during the second half of his life, Einheitliche Feldtheorie or Unified Field Theory a single set of equations that would explain all the for
Evelyn
Aug 28, 2008 Evelyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After the mysterious death of his old mentor Hans Kleinman--a theoretical physicist and colleague of Einstein--college professor David Swift learns Einstein just might have really discovered the holy grail of physics--The Theory of Everything. Now David has to stay one step ahead of the killer and the government to stay alive.

A fun, fast read that may actually teach you a thing or two about physics.
Author is able to explain complex theories in layman's terms.
Highly recommend.

Falcon Dove
Nov 28, 2015 Falcon Dove rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To me, Mark Alpert was an unknown author, but the title of his book, 'Final Theory', caught my attention. I have great respect for mr. Albert Einstein, so when an author involve him in his history, I simply have to read the book.

Many authors writes about the law of physics in their books, but unfortunately, too often it turns out, that they are either very shallow, or they have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. Thankfully, Mark Alpert does not apply to this pitiful category of writ
Lauren
Oct 17, 2008 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A page-turner about the search for Einstein's "Theory of Everything."
Learned some good science-type stuff.
Liana Aldina
Oct 01, 2014 Liana Aldina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ar vieglu fizikas piegaršu.
Janelle Dazzlepants
Marina Shemesh
Dec 13, 2014 Marina Shemesh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Final Theory" is written by Mark Alpert, an editor at "Scientific American". Although the book is about Albert Einstein's Unified Field Theory, or the Theory of Everything, Mister Alpert has written a fast-paced thriller that will have you turning the pages as fast as you can read them.

The protagonist is David Swift, a Columbia University professor. His university mentor, a physicist who had worked with Albert Einstein, is brutally attacked and asks for David. Just before the physicist dies,
Paul Pessolano
Albert Einstein is probably best known for the "Theory of Relativity" (e=mc2). In "Final Theory" he has discovered the formula for the "Theory of Everything" and this could either bring peace to the world or total destruction. Einstein, in his wisdom, knowing that this knowledge would be sought by man for destructive purposes, gives the information to three of this colleagues and swears them to secrecy. A fourth colleague of Einstein knows of the discovery but is not given the information becaus ...more
Carol Palmer
Dec 07, 2015 Carol Palmer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Physics and the Theory of Everything

A exciting and fun read about what if Einstein already found a "Theory of Everything.? " A unification theory would join the physics of the world of quantum theory , and the theory of relatively. Would
this create more efficient ways for the destruction of our enemies or miraculous applications in medicine and energy production . This is a story that is for science geeks and anyone interested in what Morgan Freeman talks about on The Unverse. The science is ba
Ann
Apr 02, 2008 Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ann by: ARC Copy
Shelves: thrillers
I devoured Final Theory by Mark Alpert. In his debut thriller, Alpert has used science, history and politics to create a unique page turner. He majored in astrophysics at Princeton University and actually wrote his undergraduate thesis on an application of Einsteins's theory of relativity according to the book jacket.

After reading the first chapter where an old professor is brutally tortured, I thought about putting the book down. It's a great story but the torture throughout makes for very unco
E
Sep 26, 2014 E rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is a mess. From the title, you might realize that it involves the "final theory" of physics, the "theory of everything" that unites general relativity and quantum mechanics, which are currently considered incompatible.

Alpert wrote a novel in which Einstein in fact discovered the equations that would unite the two branches. However, because he was afraid of the power that holding such a theory would bring, he did not publicize it. Instead he gave it to his various underlings in chunks.
Anthony Sebastian
Final Theory by Mark Alpert | Mark Alpert

Science editor/writer for Scientific American magazine brings his extraordinary ability to describe complex science engagingly and effectively for the general reader to imaginative and speculative storytelling in a hard-hard-sf novel, with fully-fleshed and fully-minded interesting characters one can easily love or hate, realistic speculative science extrapolation, fine writing (style and grace), unpredictable suspense.

Wells, Asimov and Heinlein probably would have enjoyed this bo
Josip Brecak
Jun 11, 2014 Josip Brecak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Columbian University Professor is trusted with the key that can unlock Einstein's greatest discovery, the theory of everything. He's main purpose is to keep it safe however it turns out to be more difficult than he thought it would be. This Professor now is on the run from the FBI and a Russian hit man who both are after Einstein's discovery and he fears if it falls under the wrong hands it could be used as a weapon that can deal unimaginable devastation. Surprisingly for a Mystery Thriller wh ...more
Vichy
As soon as I started reading this book, I felt I had to reach to its end as soon as possible! It is a captivating adventurous science thriller. The author is a man of science and makes it relatively easy for the reader to understand physics meanings and theories, but he also seems to have the the germ for detective novels with manhunt and intrigue. I really could not comprehend the extreme range from low to high readers' ratings but I finally came to the conclusion that the author, trying to mix ...more
Sep 17, 2008 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Laura by: Jimmy
A co-worker recommended this book to me. He said it was similar to the DaVinci code and I partially agree. I found it more like the Bourne Identity but with more accurate science (I think). The author or Final Theory studied Physics and then gave that up for journalism. Very fast read. I actually stayed up most of monday night because I couldn't put it down. I can't say it was a profound book of course but I did enjoy reading it. Think action packed, thriller with a few twists. I did find one th ...more
AshishB
Nov 24, 2011 AshishB rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mark Alpert the writer of this book has used real science, history and politics..This book is complete Movie Material(well i wonder no one has thought of making one).
The Author himself is the student of such high level of Physics studies n that thing was absolutely essential for this book...the way he explained certain phenomenons of subject were absolutely Brilliant....
Because of this book I got interested in the unified theory n Omega theory..well this book has awaken the science thirst in me.
Alex Chung
Sep 08, 2010 Alex Chung rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Final Theory is a book that I bought at Costco and I just bought it because I had to read an independent book for school and I thought it would be an easy read. The book was very great and thoroughly surprised me considering the fact that almost none of the librarians I asked knew about the book. I read and reread the book countless times and it never displeases me. I told my teacher about the book and she said that she would look into the book and she also loved it. I would recommend this to an ...more
A.M.
I love anything having to do with quantum physics, metaphysics and unified theories, so I was intrigued by this suspense book about a physicist on the run from the FBI. Unfortunately, the physics takes a backseat to the violence, torture and terror that constitute the overall plot and action of Final Theory - too much bloodshed for me. After 100 pages, I skipped to the end to find out who lived and called it a day. :(
Лазар Јовановић
This is one of those books you don`t expect much from, but they turn out to be quite fun. Everything is good, it has quite enough suspense for a thriller, has a good and interesting story, but in moments gets a little bit confusing with all the physics theories etc.

All in all, I recommend this book to those people who admire the "intelligent thriller" genre. They`ll find their time well spent reading this novel.
Gary Grubb
Dec 19, 2010 Gary Grubb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After taking a small breather upon finishing "Atlas Shrugged" I'm now into a book that was given to me as a gift... "Final Theory". Gift books can certainly be a challenge when, not only am I particular about the books I read, but the giver is not at all familiar with my reading habits. Well, "Final Theory" is proving to be not only an easy read (particularly after "Atlas Shrugged"), but also a fun read. For me it's a hard one to put down.
Mark Hartman
Sep 11, 2011 Mark Hartman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
This suspenseful thriller follows a would-be-physicist-turned-professor along a run-for-his-life adventure based on the premise that Einstein succeeded in finding a solution for a unified field theory. I could not put this book down. Final Theory evoked what was probably the quickest read I had ever given to a book of its volume.
Ginger Weirich
Mar 12, 2015 Ginger Weirich rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This thriller “hits the ground running” and doesn’t let up. Think the “theory of everything” hidden from the world for half a century. Add in a deranged physicist, an autistic teenage boy, a scientific historian and a plethora of peripheral characters and you wind up with one tense situation that will keep you on the edge of your seat from beginning to end. Excellent read!!
Helen
Jan 01, 2009 Helen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! This was a page turner. I appreciate authors who have backgrounds in what they are writing about (i.e: Kathy Reichs & forensic anthropology). I can usually count on accuracy and I learn about non-fiction themes via novels - a neat way to learn difficult concepts. This is the case with this novel that discusses physics (Einstein's theories)and the 'Theory of Everything'.
Jane
Jul 27, 2009 Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
The science in this book is fun: it's cutting edge and impossible to wrap your brain around but it's always fun to try. We have a neighbor who specializes in detection of "neutrinos" and this book is a great primer for lame attempts at cocktail conversation with him!
Michael crage
Jul 29, 2015 Michael crage rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I very much enjoyed the book. Since I was a math major in college, I was able to understand somewhat what they were getting at with the math. But the end was no mystery from fairly early in the book; I enjoy mysteries with twists and turns so I don't know the end half way through the book.
Mike
Jul 23, 2011 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, thriller
A thriller from the very begining. This book is the type of book that keeps you up late at night. You don't want to go to bed till you know what happens next. It is constant action. I liked it so much that I'm getting the sequel -- "The Omega Theory".
Don Weymouth
Nov 11, 2014 Don Weymouth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fast moving, grabs you right away. Read it in two nights and enjoyed it completely ... almost credible.
Sieran
May 27, 2010 Sieran rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Very fast paced and attention grabbing. Nice. Enjoyed the action scenes.

Liked the bit on sterile neutrinos.

Ooh, loved that plot twist near the end--very creative and unexpected/
May
Jun 14, 2009 May rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-crime
First time reading anything by this author, and was delighted to find it a good story, well-paced, with nice twists. Looking forward to his other stuff.
Gordon Clifford
Apr 21, 2009 Gordon Clifford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book has a lot more to offer that just your average action thriller. physics history, and good character development. who will find the hidden lost eintein theory that could destroy the world?
  • The Good Guys
  • The Medici Secret
  • The Genesis Plague
  • The Atlantis Prophecy (Conrad Yeats Adventure #2)
  • What Time Devours (Thomas Knight, #2)
  • Singularity (The Archon Sequence #1)
  • Death In The Latin Quarter
  • Newton's Fire
  • The Babylonian Codex (Jax Alexander Mystery #3)
  • Hidden in Time (Livingstone Chronicles, #2)
  • 24 Declassified: Trojan Horse
  • Exact Revenge
  • The Dispatcher
  • La traducción
  • A Minister's Ghost (Fever Devilin, #3)
  • Vertical Burn
  • The Messiah Code
  • The Tiger Warrior (Jack Howard, #4)
Mark Alpert, author of Final Theory, The Omega Theory, Extinction, The Furies, and The Six, is a contributing editor at Scientific American. In his long journalism career he has specialized in explaining scientific ideas to readers, simplifying esoteric concepts such as extra dimensions and parallel universes. And now, in his novels, Alpert weaves cutting-edge science into high-energy thrillers th ...more
More about Mark Alpert...

Final Theory (2 books)
  • The Omega Theory (Final Theory, #2)