Start by marking “Mephisto Waltz” as Want to Read:
Mephisto Waltz

Mephisto Waltz

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  214 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Originally trained as a concert pianist, Mr. Stewart drew on this background for his first novel, “The Mephisto Waltz” (Coward-McCann), published in 1969. (The publicity materials for the book included a 45-r.p.m. recording of Mr. Stewart playing the title piece, by Liszt.) In 1971, the book became a film with Alan Alda as a young writer whose body is usurped by an aging p ...more
Published March 1st 1971 by Signet (first published January 1st 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Mephisto Waltz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mephisto Waltz

Rebecca McNutt
Incredibly disturbing and unsettling book, definitely a well-written horror novel although the plot wasn't the most original. I loved the haunting moments and writing style.
Lobstergirl
Jul 13, 2013 Lobstergirl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nikita Mndoyants
Recommended to Lobstergirl by: Mephisto Waltz wiki page
Shelves: fiction

This is a totally cheesy 1969 horror novel, along the lines of Rosemary's Baby and The Exorcist. I devoured it with equal parts enjoyment and chagrin. It's wonderfully dated - the protagonists are thrilled with their newly renovated kitchen and its blue vinyl countertops - and effusively sprinkled with the most ghastly product placements. Myles and Paula Clarkson smoke TarGard Viceroys, use a Chemex coffeemaker, drink Diet Rite Cola, someone drives an XK-E (it's assumed we know, until the next p
Fishface
This was such a good read that I plowed straight through in a few hours. I will definitely be reading this one again. Great late-Sixties period piece, wonderfully written, terrific suspense and -- untiol you get to the end -- almost exactly the same feel to it as ROSEMARY'S BABY.
Helen Azar
Jan 24, 2011 Helen Azar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the great style of Ira Levin (one of my favorite psychological thriller authors), this book is fast paced and suspenseful. A treat for any conossieur of the genre.
Mary Kay
Jul 10, 2009 Mary Kay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This novel taught me early on that I loved a fast plot, a lot of twists, and characters that are pure evil.
Boris Cesnik
Feb 23, 2016 Boris Cesnik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes I complain some books should have got edited down more, but this time I don't know why but I sense the publisher must have slashed one of two sentences or maybe entire paragraphs off too much. There are a couple of passages, particularly in the middle of dialogues and descriptions that must be missing.
Nevertheless I loved the book and gulped down in a blink of an eye. Its language is mellifluous and the story a winning page turner. Eventually you can't avoid comparing it to other simil
Lynda
I have to say that I’m surprised that there are a significant number of people who enjoyed this book. I chose to read to this book after reading Fred Mustard Stewart’s “Century” which is in no way similar to the suspense filled genre of “The Mephisto Waltz.” I had watched “Rosemary’s Baby” several years ago and it struck me, while reading “The Mephisto Waltz” how similar the movie and book were. They weren’t exactly on point but the journey to find clues and the existence of the cult truly made ...more
Onurius
Jun 30, 2015 Onurius rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Hakkındaki yorumlara bakarak korku türünde bir eser diye başlamıştım.
Ancak bir kaç korku öğesinin kullanıldığı psikolojik gerilim türünde bir roman.
Psikolojik gerilim ilgi alanım dışında bir yazın türü olsa da ilgiyle okudum.
Louise Carlson Stowell
Mar 10, 2016 Louise Carlson Stowell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I liked it. You watch a otherwise sane, caring individual become possessed by something slowly gobbling up his personality until he becomes the evil he has feared. It's an older novel, but well worth finding.
Rıdvan
Jan 09, 2015 Rıdvan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
cok kaliteli. e yayinlarinin bu seriden cikan kitaplari goruldugu sahaftan derhal alinmali.
Thomas Amo
Feb 06, 2011 Thomas Amo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally I saw the film. Years later when I worked a job where I had a two hour lunch, I found myself spending at least one or two days a week at the used bookstore. When I came across the book I hadn't realized it was a novel. At first I thought it was a book adaptation of the film, but was pleased to find out it wasn't.

On further research it's interesting to note the author wrote this book after attending Julliard.

I would read this book again.
Erik Graff
Mar 18, 2012 Erik Graff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Stewart fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: literature
This is basically a creeping horror novel about a pianist becoming possessed by an author himself trained as a pianist--a sort of low brow Dr. Faustus.
Donald
Oct 28, 2008 Donald rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We liked it better than ROSEMARY'S BABY, and it had a great ending.
Madkropotkin
Not scary at all.
Kathleen
Jul 14, 2013 Kathleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1993
Cassettes.
Élisabeth Tattersall~Lara
Élisabeth Tattersall~Lara rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2016
Ferrux Memiyev
Ferrux Memiyev marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Donia
Donia marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Alexis
Alexis marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
MShan999
MShan999 rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2016
Armand Bassut
Armand Bassut rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2016
Jonathan Swart
Jonathan Swart marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Faisalna Faisalna
Faisalna Faisalna rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2016
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Tonia Harris
Tonia Harris rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2016
Missy
Missy marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Gordon
Gordon rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2016
  • The Shores of Space
  • Yours Truly, Jack The Ripper
  • Nightmares And Geezenstacks
  • Cold Moon Over Babylon
  • Midnight Sun
  • Nocturne (Austra Family, #5)
  • The Godsend
  • The Beast Within
  • Devils & Demons: A Treasury of Fiendish Tales Old & New
  • Single White Vampire Seeks Same
  • Unicorn and Dragon (Unicorn and Dragon, #1)
  • The Compleat Werewolf and Other Stories of Fantasy and Science Fiction
  • New Stories From the Twilight Zone
  • If You Could See Me Now
  • The Haunting
  • Dead in the Water
  • Borderlands 3
  • The Upper Berth
Fred Mustard Stewart was an American novelist. His most popular books were The Mephisto Waltz (1969), adapted for a 1971 film starring Alan Alda; Six Weeks (1976), made into a 1982 film starring Mary Tyler Moore; Century, a New York Times best-seller in 1981; and Ellis Island (1983), which became a CBS mini-series in 1984.

Stewart graduated from Princeton University in 1954. He originally planned t
More about Fred M. Stewart...