Start by marking “The Castaways (Curse of the Jolly Stone, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Castaways (Curse of the Jolly Stone, #3)

The Castaways (Curse of the Jolly Stone #3)

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  122 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
ADRIFT AT SEA, Tom Tin and his four convict companions are only too glad when they come upon a deserted ship. The boys clamber aboard, not knowing whether they've been saved or set on a course toward doom. But after rescuing two men stranded on a melting iceberg, Tom begins to suspect that these unsavory sailors are dangerous castaways from this very vessel. The more Tom q ...more
Published November 13th 2007 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2007)

Ruby Red by Kerstin GierSapphire Blue by Kerstin GierEmerald Green by Kerstin GierClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareClockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare
Best YA Historical Fiction: Regency London
32nd out of 39 books — 103 voters
Elijah of Buxton by Christopher Paul CurtisOut of the Cold by Norah McClintockThe Castaways by Iain LawrenceEgghead by Caroline PignatNot Fair, Clare by Yvonne Prinz
Red Maples of 2009
3rd out of 19 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Grandma Bev for TeensReadToo.com

THE CASTAWAYS is the third book of the trilogy including THE CONVICTS and THE CANNIBALS, and starts off with Tom Tin and his companions adrift at sea. They have escaped the punishment of being sent to Australia as convicts only to find themselves aboard a steamship that is running dangerously low on fuel and with no idea of where they are. They find a ship that is apparently deserted. Fearing that it may be the ghost ship Flying Dutchman, they clamber
John
Aug 22, 2008 John rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes RL Stevenson
Shelves: children-ya
This continuation to the "Convicts" series (last one? Maybe, maybe not) features all sorts of harrowing--not to mention memorably disgusting--adventures takes young Tom Tin from certain death in the South Pacific to certain death in London....with several stops for inescapably fatal encounters along the way. Somehow, he scrapes his way through, as do most but not all of his companions.

Banks books have what should be a winning combination of Dickensian characters and exciting, sometimes but not
Nadia Morales
May 07, 2015 Nadia Morales rated it really liked it
I think this was an excellent book that showcased survival skills, drama and that you cant abandon the people that cared most about you in life.
Mary
Oct 16, 2013 Mary rated it really liked it
I reviewed the first 2 books in this trilogy & don't have much to add here. I fell in love with Midgely in the 1st book, "The Convicts" and was happy to see we leave him & Tom Tin in good circumstances when their story ends.

Remember how Pinocchio became a real boy when he started to care about things outside himself? Same story here for Tom Tin altho Tom is never as unlikeable as Pinocchio. I really give little Midgely all the credit for changing Tom. He's the hero of this story to me &
Susannah
Mar 24, 2009 Susannah rated it liked it
This was book number three in a series of three, so too bad I didn't start from the beginning, but I could fill in the blanks, so it was fine. This book made me want to read more books about pirates. It was good and I think I'll go get book one, which is title, The Convicts. The story follows the life of Tom Tin who is imprisoned on a convict ship heading to Australia. He escapes from the ship and from what I read in book three it sounds like he has some fine adventures. I look forward to hearin ...more
B
Feb 06, 2009 B rated it it was amazing
Y The last of the fabulous trilogy about Tom Tin and his gang of juvenile convicts as they get away from cannibals in the South Pacific and end up on a boat with two mysterious and horrid castaways.
This one is a bit more gruesome and scarier than the other two but 5th grade and up can handle it. Highly recommend to reluctant readers.
Kate
Mar 18, 2012 Kate rated it it was amazing
I really loved this series. I don't know why it has such poor reviews. Very adventurous and I loved the characters. I normally hate books that take place on sailing ships because they are boring, not this book. Very entertaining!
April
May 08, 2012 April rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! It had an exellent ending and I was finally able to read the end of Mr.Goodfellow, all I have now left to say is good job Tom! You have been able to pull through until the end and now are free to travel seas.
Elizabeth Cisewski
Jul 30, 2012 Elizabeth Cisewski rated it really liked it
This book was exciting and adventurous. I loved all the turns in the book, all the traitors and stuff like that. It was a slower start than the second book, but it was still really good. Great finish to the series.
KatieSuzanne
Dec 02, 2010 KatieSuzanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
By far the best of the three books. The end was exciting and it lasted awhile too, none of the usual puting all the good stuff in the last chapter. Almost 5 stars.
Diane
Jun 30, 2011 Diane rated it liked it
I may have enjoyed this more if I'd read the two before it: The Convicts and the Cannibals. I think I'll catch up later.
Sean
Jan 03, 2009 Sean rated it really liked it
Continuation of a look at early to mid 1800's England and the shipping. Fictional but an eye opener.
Cyrus
Oct 03, 2013 Cyrus rated it really liked it
A good ending to a good series. It is a little bizarre and and gory but is overall a great ending.
Marilyn
Sep 17, 2009 Marilyn rated it liked it
Recommends it for: 6th - 9th grade, especially boys
My least favorite of the trilogy but still an enjoyable sea adventure tale.
Yael
Mar 07, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2012-new
O
Tracy Kobus
Tracy Kobus marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Rin Marvell
Rin Marvell marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Selena Edward Nichols
Selena Edward Nichols marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Jeffrey Arrington
Jeffrey Arrington marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2016
Lexi Willis
Lexi Willis marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Alex
Alex rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2016
  • The Winter War
  • The Pirate And The Puritan
  • Jolted: Newton Starker's rules for survival
  • The Education of Patience Goodspeed (Patience Goodspeed, #2)
  • Tangled Roots: The Appalachian Trail and American Environmental Politics
  • Eleven Sundays
  • Forty-Something Phoenix: A Travel Memoir
  • Rare Atmosphere: An Extraordinary Inter-dimensional Affair of the Heart
  • Sail Away: Journeys of a Merchant Seaman
  • Aloha, Lady Blue: A Mystery
  • Winds of Promise (Wayward Wind Series, # 1)
  • Ki'ti's Story, 75,000 BC
  • The Giant Rat of Sumatra: or Pirates Galore
  • The Memory of Water
  • Ghost Light on Graveyard Shoal (American Girl History Mysteries, #21)
  • Sailing to Jessica
  • Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure
  • Dateline: Troy

Curse of the Jolly Stone (3 books)
  • The Convicts (Curse of the Jolly Stone, #1)
  • The Cannibals (Curse of the Jolly Stone, #2)