Start by marking “The Castaways (Curse of the Jolly Stone, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Castaways (Curse of the Jolly Stone, #3)

The Castaways (Curse of the Jolly Stone #3)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  17 reviews
ADRIFT AT SEA, Tom Tin and his four convict companions are only too glad when they come upon a deserted ship. The boys clamber aboard, not knowing whether they've been saved or set on a course toward doom. But after rescuing two men stranded on a melting iceberg, Tom begins to suspect that these unsavory sailors are dangerous castaways from this very vessel. The more Tom q...more
Published November 13th 2007 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Castaways, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Castaways

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Grandma Bev for TeensReadToo.com

THE CASTAWAYS is the third book of the trilogy including THE CONVICTS and THE CANNIBALS, and starts off with Tom Tin and his companions adrift at sea. They have escaped the punishment of being sent to Australia as convicts only to find themselves aboard a steamship that is running dangerously low on fuel and with no idea of where they are. They find a ship that is apparently deserted. Fearing that it may be the ghost ship Flying Dutchman, they clamber...more
John
Aug 22, 2008 John rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who likes RL Stevenson
Shelves: children-ya
This continuation to the "Convicts" series (last one? Maybe, maybe not) features all sorts of harrowing--not to mention memorably disgusting--adventures takes young Tom Tin from certain death in the South Pacific to certain death in London....with several stops for inescapably fatal encounters along the way. Somehow, he scrapes his way through, as do most but not all of his companions.

Banks books have what should be a winning combination of Dickensian characters and exciting, sometimes but not...more
Mary
I reviewed the first 2 books in this trilogy & don't have much to add here. I fell in love with Midgely in the 1st book, "The Convicts" and was happy to see we leave him & Tom Tin in good circumstances when their story ends.

Remember how Pinocchio became a real boy when he started to care about things outside himself? Same story here for Tom Tin altho Tom is never as unlikeable as Pinocchio. I really give little Midgely all the credit for changing Tom. He's the hero of this story to me &...more
Susannah
This was book number three in a series of three, so too bad I didn't start from the beginning, but I could fill in the blanks, so it was fine. This book made me want to read more books about pirates. It was good and I think I'll go get book one, which is title, The Convicts. The story follows the life of Tom Tin who is imprisoned on a convict ship heading to Australia. He escapes from the ship and from what I read in book three it sounds like he has some fine adventures. I look forward to hearin...more
B
Y The last of the fabulous trilogy about Tom Tin and his gang of juvenile convicts as they get away from cannibals in the South Pacific and end up on a boat with two mysterious and horrid castaways.
This one is a bit more gruesome and scarier than the other two but 5th grade and up can handle it. Highly recommend to reluctant readers.
Kate
I really loved this series. I don't know why it has such poor reviews. Very adventurous and I loved the characters. I normally hate books that take place on sailing ships because they are boring, not this book. Very entertaining!
April
Loved this book! It had an exellent ending and I was finally able to read the end of Mr.Goodfellow, all I have now left to say is good job Tom! You have been able to pull through until the end and now are free to travel seas.
Elizabeth Cisewski
This book was exciting and adventurous. I loved all the turns in the book, all the traitors and stuff like that. It was a slower start than the second book, but it was still really good. Great finish to the series.
KatieSuzanne
By far the best of the three books. The end was exciting and it lasted awhile too, none of the usual puting all the good stuff in the last chapter. Almost 5 stars.
Diane
I may have enjoyed this more if I'd read the two before it: The Convicts and the Cannibals. I think I'll catch up later.
Sean
Continuation of a look at early to mid 1800's England and the shipping. Fictional but an eye opener.
Cyrus
A good ending to a good series. It is a little bizarre and and gory but is overall a great ending.
Marilyn
Sep 17, 2009 Marilyn rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 6th - 9th grade, especially boys
My least favorite of the trilogy but still an enjoyable sea adventure tale.
Yael
Chris
Chris added it
Sep 02, 2014
Emily Nicholas-ornbaum
Emily Nicholas-ornbaum marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Gacossette
Gacossette marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Alison Shelton
Alison Shelton marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
The Wreckers (High Seas Adventures, #1) Ghost Boy The Giant-Slayer The Convicts (Curse of the Jolly Stone, #1) Lord of the Nutcracker Men