Start by marking “The Cosmos Trilogy” as Want to Read:
The Cosmos Trilogy

The Cosmos Trilogy

4.44 of 5 stars 4.44  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  9 reviews
"You Can't Like Seidel's Poems--They're Deliberately Virulent; You Can Only Gasp At Their Skill And Daring, Their Sickening Warp, Their Mercilessness."*

Frederick Seidel's highly acclaimed Cosmos Trilogy is a triple thunderclap of darkness from the poet whom Richard Poirier has recently called "the true heir of Walt Whitman" and of whose first book Robert Lowell wrote "[I]
Published November 24th 2003 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux

To ask other readers questions about The Cosmos Trilogy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cosmos Trilogy

Hai-Dang Phan
Seidel's Cosmos Trilogy is at its best when he's at his earthly worst--vile, vain, and violent. Skip the heaven part of the trilogy, The Cosmos Poems (2000), unless you want to see what pop-science laced poetry by Carl Sagan might have sounded like: "I come from / Far away from you / And that is / Far away. // Hundreds of / Millions of stars in a / Galaxy and billions of galaxies and one / Billions of light-years away." And that's one of the better ones.

No, I recommend atmospheric reentry into
Taube
I was in a used bookstore, aimlessly perusing, in the way that one aimlessly peruses in a used bookstore, when I suddenly remembered that someone had recommended Seidel to me with such gravitas that I MUST CHECK HIM OUT. I dutifully moved to the "S" section and began to search. Nothing. Nada. Oh well. It wasn't until I had given up all hope of finding anything and had moved back to my random looking that I found a stash of Seidel's books-- inexplicably shelved in the "B" section. As if only I we ...more
Ashley
like two shots fast

merciless yes.

mercurial! what?

blink. blink.
James Murphy
Poetry sometimes lends itself to the slippery, ineffable mysteries of time and space, to the expression of the inexpressible and what we understand only dimly. Seidel does all that in these magnificent poems in which the micro is seen in conjunction with the whole of the cosmos as a seamless whole. Seidel's surrealism, most noticeable in the 2d section, "Life on Earth," goes well with the arcane nature of physics and cosmology. I hesitate to definitely state the book's a reversed Divine Comedy. ...more
Tony
As poetry goes, this is a fusion of science and philosophy that is as fascinating as it is eclectic. From Quantum Mechanics to “Venus Wants Jesus”, there is a thread of artistry and insolence the sets this poetry apart from other attempts.

I cannot say, as poetry, you will sit in a sitting and absorb the artistic sense of Shelly or Keats, neither will you get the mechanical treatise of Cummings or Crane, but there is a blending that endears you to the poetry while maintaining an austere appreciat
Lanny
Apr 21, 2008 Lanny is currently reading it
Seidel is kind of too attached to received word and thought forms for my actual taste, but one has to read poets other than oneself! just kidding! heheh I don't know. A picture of a toilet paper roll on the cover is probably why I actually bought it.. ?? I do like some of the poems I've read in this already. Some of them are pretty strange. He goes into the emotional switchboard area more than is my liking, but as a poet or writer one must always be aware of 'strategies' must'nt one?

Kid
Oct 03, 2008 Kid rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves modern poetry
Recommended to Kid by: my bro Ben
My favorite living poet. . .try this on for size: an Upper East Side socialite with a dazzling handle on language, human interaction, love, dumb humor and paralyzing lust. And its easy to read! I feel like this man is a supreme observer of what it means to be alive in New York right now. The monied element of his resume never gets in the way of my enjoyment of this dude. He's a super hero.
Douglas Dollars
I didn't like it nearly as Ooga Booga, which was full of the usual filth and soil of life. This was solid all the same, it just didn't have the out of control forward momentum I was hoping for.
Geoff Wyss
I'm giving this book four stars only because it's not quite as good as Ooga Booga. But it's darn good and a must for anyone who likes Dante.
Doralee Brooks
Doralee Brooks marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Smitha
Smitha marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Λ
Λ marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Baysage
Baysage marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Jaimie
Jaimie marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Kirsten Joosten
Kirsten Joosten marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Jerrod
Jerrod marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
arto
arto marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Miguel Lozano
Miguel Lozano marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
T V
T V marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Franziska Köppen
Franziska Köppen marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Neverdust
Neverdust marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Ooga-Booga: Poems Poems 1959-2009 Nice Weather: Poems Going Fast: Poems Area Code 212