Start by marking “Sushi per a principiants” as Want to Read:
Sushi per a principiants

Sushi per a principiants

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  49,988 ratings  ·  1,055 reviews
A la redacció d'una nova revista destinada a dones i dirigida per dones, s'està preparant el llançament del primer número. La Lisa és el viu retrat de la dona triomfadora: és jove, guapíssima, eficient i impertorbable. L'Ashling, una jove irlandesa, sempre està patint i és molt insegura, però sembla que finalment ha trobat l'oportunitat de la seva vida. La Clodagh, jove i ...more
Published February 2002 by Edicions 62 (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Sushi per a principiants, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sushi per a principiants

I wouldn't say this was a great book. It's another one that I managed to read on planes and in airports but wouldn't make time for reading it when I wouldn't otherwise be bored to tears.

I agree with other reviews here that the characters are not developed. In many cases, as with Jack, Lisa, and even Ashling, the characters change, even sometimes drastically, but we never really get to understand why. We are told the actions of characters in the past and given some glimpses into what upbringing a
I will be leaving Sushi for Beginners by Marian Keyes without a formal rating simply because I can't explain why I didn't care for it, which leads me to believe it was a timing or mood issue on my part. I listened to the audiobook intermittently while spending a very LONG day-nearly ten hours-in jury duty...that right there explains it! If I had to rate this title today, I would give it 1 or 2 stars but that rating just wouldn't be fair. However, the only honest feedback I can give is that the a ...more
Let's see. Take Bridget Jones, mix with The Devil Wears Prada, add some Irish details and remove about 50% of the interesting plot details and you have this book. I previously had read another book of Keyes' that I enjoyed a lot but I found this one a bit of a slog to get through. I admire her portrayal of an unappealing main character (Lisa) but it didn't really work for me as light reading. Overall, I'd say it is a professionally-rendered execution of an idea that just didn't appeal to me pers ...more
Marian Keyes shoots and scores again with another fantastic novel which centers around three modern singletons. Magazine editor Lisa Edwards meets with her bosses about a new job they have lined up for her to launch a new magazine called Colleen. Lisa is already visualizing a new posh lifestyle for herself in New York.
However, New York isn't quite where her new job has been set up. She's pretty much being deported to Dublin to fend for herself, start anew and make this new magazine the next big
This book was entertaining enough, but I would stop short of calling it good. The characters weren't really developed, Keyes just basically told us what the characters were doing and never let them grow past their one dimensioned personalities. The only one who escapes that fate is Lisa, the hardass editor. And she doesn't even develop so much as suddenly she's just different. The secondary characters were so over the top that they were completely unbelievable. By the time the last chapter rolle ...more
May 14, 2008 Federica rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: chick lit lovers
Shelves: chicklit
Think about an ambitious woman who expects a promotion to became an important magazine editor in New York and ends up in a little pennyless women's magazine editorial board in Ireland instead.

She could either resign indignant or make "Colleen" the most prestigious magazine in the fashion industry.

To do so Lisa Edwards will drive her Dublin staff, mainly made up of women, to exhaustion (nothing like the icy Miranda Priestly in the "Devil Wear Prada" though)but all the efforts will be prized as "
♥ Marlene♥
Apparently this was my first Marian Keyes book.

On Tuesday, April 05, 2005 I wrote on

8 out of 10
Hi flicky picked this book to read (update sept 2015. This meant I was going to send her this book) I did not really know what to expect but actually I am liking it so far.
I have read about 100 pages.planning to go to bed now and read some more.
I will update this journal while reading more.

Update april 16

I totally forgot to update

Finished the book and I thought it was a fun read.
I am
Jul 30, 2008 Shannon rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Brit chick lit lovers
One nice thing about Marian Keyes' books is that all of her characters feel like real people that you might meet on the street. And the consequences for their actions are also "real". In this novel, three women are looking for love and success. First there is the super-fashionista, Lisa, who feels she has been demoted at work by being sent to Dublin, Ireland to head up a new women's fashion magazine. During this time of extreme stress, she is also in the midst of a divorce with her fashion-photo ...more
For Ashling Kennedy, the new job she lands at start-up Irish fashion magazine Colleen is a dream come true. For Lisa Edwards, a high-maintenance London editor expecting a promotion to New York, her appointment as editor-in-chief of Colleen is a slap in the face, the only consolation being her rumpled-but-handsome new boss, Jack Devine. Furious at being passed up for a job at Manhattan magazine, Lisa vows to make Colleen the envy of the fashion industry, even if it kills her. She drives her Dubli ...more
I finally finished this book. I had started Sushi for Beginners only a few days before it was due back to the library and never really got time to read much... now having finished it, I can say it was an interesting read. I am not sure why I was compelled to read and keep reading, but I was. It was different having three "main" characters, and surprisingly not overly confusing either.

The reader got to see different points of view from Lisa, Ashling, and Clodagh (all of whom are girls despite ho
I had really enjoyed other books by Keyes - Lucy Sullivan & Watermelon - but Sushi really disappointed me. I could not care for any of her characters - workaholic Lisa was plain annoying, Ashling was just boring (though she was by far the best of the bunch), and I constantly wanted to yell at Clodagh to "Shut uuuup!". I also thought the book was too long for a story that barely developed, and in the end, some things (like Ashling's relationship) happened too fast.

Some parts were funny (but
S.J. Pajonas
Just re-read this and, sigh, I love Marian Keyes. She's such a great storyteller, often surprising me with twists I didn't see coming. Her books in general are snarky, witty, and sexy, and this one hits all of those notes and more. I'm glad I took the time to re-read it.
It's not going to win any literary awards, but this is a great book for when you just want a fun read! And, it's not too far off when describing working for a small fashion magazine. Def one to recommend!
Hot-shot magazine editor Lisa Edwards' career is destined for high-rise New York when suddenly she's diverted to low-rise Dublin. But what can she do about it?

Ashling Kennedy, Lisa's super-organized assistant, worries about everything from her lack of waist to the lack of men in her life. She's even anxious about a little bit of raw fish ...

Clodagh Kelly is Ashling's best friend and has her prince, her beautiful kids and a lovely house - everything in fact that Ashling ever wanted. She should be
"Sushi for Beginners" is definitely a lighter read than Marian Keyes' "This Charming Man". By comparison, I also found it less rewarding when I finished reading, but that's only when putting the two books side by side.

Individually speaking, Sushi for Beginners is quite an enjoyable read. Ashling was cute and I didn't find her entirely boxed into the she's-a-weird-nerd type, thankfully. I still feel that her struggle with long-lasting issues wasn't dealt as nicely as it could have been. She pulls
This novel is set in the fashion magazine industry, and I was primarily interested in this novel because I work in the media industry, and have had a lot of contact with magazine teams. However, in New Zealand it seems to be a lot more laid back than in Sushi for Beginners!

The Good: despite being chick-lit it had a fair bit packed into it, and I didn't once feel like the plot was dragging. It is set in Ireland, and the contrasting POVs between Lisa, from London, and Ashling from Dublin, were wo
Moira Fogarty
I am always impressed at Marian Keyes' ability to keep me smiling and nodding and turning pages like they're on fire, while she deftly writes a comedy/romance that revolves around serious issues like addiction, mental health and the godawfulness that is modern dating.

Lisa and Ashling are working on launching a magazine, and Clodagh is a stay-at-home mother of two. Each woman has her own unique brand of crazy going on, and their own strengths and weaknesses, and all three are connected by the sm
I am very much not into chick lit, but Marian Keyes is one of my friend Heather's favorite authors. We read another book by her for our book club, which I didn't much care for. However, Heather assured us that not all of Keyes books contained such stereotypical chick lit characters. I was looking for something that was available to check out last minute via Overdrive for my Nook to take on my Alaskan vacation, and this was available so I decided to give Keyes another chance.

The book still wasn'
Alicia Kline
I would give this one a 3.5 star. It started off slowly for me, then somewhere around the halfway mark really kicked into high gear and I decided then that it was good.

The book follows two heroines, Lisa and Ashling, who both end up working at the same magazine. There's enough of a storyline for Cloudagh to be considered a main character, though to me her through line was too intertwined with Ashling's tale for me to think of her as anything but a supporting role. Plus, I really didn't care what
Sofi Collodel
ujjj so boring...

Take Bridget Jones, mix with The Devil Wears Prada, add some Irish details and remove about 50% of the interesting plot details and you have this book. All the characters annoyed me to some degree, and Lisa was insufferable.

I just wanted to finish this book. I did not enjoy it at all.
This is a story about three women. Lisa, a hard-core magazine editor who puts the 'B' in Boss (as well as Bitch). Ashling is a plain as vanilla but is as sweet as chocolate. Clodagh is the housewife and mother who is lacks "zing" from days spent at home.

Notes: For the beginning half of this book, it was pretty flat. You wondered what was going to happen and where everything was going. Of course you have your theories, but it's just stagnant... until about two-thirds into the book when the book r
Cette lecture a un faux air de comédie romantique, puisque l'histoire n'est pas avare en amertume et autres débandades affectives. Mais l'auteur a le chic de tout traiter sur un ton alerte et enjoué, empêchant ainsi la propagation des ondes négatives ! Et cela m'a plu. J'ai aimé suivre ces trois jeunes femmes confrontées aux aléas de la vie, râler, soupirer et ricaner. Marian Keyes écrit des histoires qui ne se bercent pas d'illusions et mêle des questions existentielles à une dimension proche d ...more
Covadonga Lopez Iglesias
I loved the book. It's such a nice story; so contemporary and real that could happen to any woman these days.
Her lively writing style and her awesome humor is outstanding.
Reading a book of Marian is like talking to your best friend at home. I always think she and I could get along excellent with each other.
Quite enjoyed this one. I have liked some of Marian Keyes books, and not others, so I am always hesitant when I start her books, but, I liked this one.
It follows the lives of three women and the parallels in their lives. One is the editor of a new magazine and the bitch from hell. One is married with two children and a beautiful woman with everything. The third is the married woman's friend who has none of that.
It was interesting seeing how three different women from different backgrounds can ha
Jamie Gough
Meh. But I did finish it to find out how it ends.
Me ha enganchado y me ha gustado y eso no me suele pasar con novelas de este tipo.
Hannah Read
Marian Keyes is one of my favourite authors (and I don't generally like rom-coms, so she must be good!) I've read quite a few of her books, and in particular love the Walsh Sisters series, although I definitely haven't read them in the right order.

'Sushi For Beginners' is quite a typical format for Marian Keyes - the story focuses on three different main characters, and how their lives and stories intertwine. This is something she does best - even though it's a standard format, the twists are al
(Disclaimer: I read this while recuperating in hospital and so some of my reflections might be affected by medications and the need for something low key to entertain my eyes.)

'Sushi for Beginners' has a similar set up to many chick litty novels - centering on three women; one who seems to "have it all" but doesn't really, one with a seemingly perfect life but a terrible secret and one who is the frumpy non-fashionable girl who eventually gets the guy nobody thought would fall for her.

I'm not sa
I admit chick lit is my guilty pleasure, and I've downed too many Sophie Kinsella, some which I treasure because they make me laugh again and again, like Undomesticated Goddess. Celia Ahern proved interesting as well... So I gave Marian Keyes a go.

Unfortuntely, at least Sushi for Beginners, was a complete disappointment and bore (I might have smiled once). I spent several weeks trying to finish it.

We follow 3 main ladies. 1 of them, the fashionable London girl is a cliche of a character. 2 dime
Started reading Marian Keyes when I returned from Ireland in the summer of 2004. I bought a book of short stories from Irish writers, and Marian Keyes was one of them. I went to see which writers we had at our library, and I found Marian Keyes had several. I tried to read them in order and ended up liking them -- funny, character development -- that I bought a few that I've read and reread, including this one. The women are easy to relate to and the men are minor Prince Charmings.
A Million More Pages: Sushi for Beginners: Mar 20 21 18 Mar 30, 2015 08:52AM
  • With or Without You
  • Rescuing Rose
  • The Nanny
  • Amanda's Wedding
Marian Keyes, born September 10, 1963, is a popular Irish writer, considered to be one of the original progenitors of "chick lit". Keyes' first novel, Watermelon, was published in Ireland in 1995. Since then she has published seven further novels and two collections of non-fiction, and has sold 15 million copies of her books in 30 languages.

More about Marian Keyes...

“That’s like the dog calling the cat’s arse hairy!” 1 likes
“Ireland?” “Small wet place across the Irish Sea,” Barry offered kindly. “Where they drink a lot?” Lisa said faintly. “And they never stop talking. That’s the place.” 0 likes