The Meaning of Friendship

The Meaning of Friendship

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  45 ratings  ·  6 reviews
A tremendous burden is being placed on friends. Individuals want friends more than family. Couples want to marry a friend - a very novel idea. And at the social level, politicians, sociologists, even bishops realise that in the anonymity of the networked age, friendship is increasingly important to care, commitment and belonging.

Friendship, we believe or hope, is elastic...more
Published April 15th 2010 by Palgrave Macmillan (first published November 29th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Meaning of Friendship, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Meaning of Friendship

Fung Yen
Very nicely structured book.
Extremely informative first few chapters for a common man like me who has seen my far share of utilitarian friendships but never really understood why.
Last few chapters got into the spirituality/philosophy of friendship that was a tad too heavy for my liking. But once I got through that, it was a pretty rewarding experience.

For those who don't like the circularity of Philosophy but nonetheless like the explore or understand certain worldly issues that concern us, this...more
Nathanael (Boehm) Coyne
Oft refers to the writings and opinions of the philosophers of Ancient Greece - primarily Plato - as well as Nietzsche and authors of contemporary research structured by types of friendships from those with co-workers to that shared by lovers.
Grace
Now available as the Meaning of Friendship. Was glad this was chosen for my small group. It was very interesting, both for history and contemplation about what it means to be and have a friend. Great book to read as a group.
Richard
I read this book a while ago. Mark Vernon provides a comprehensive, practical and philosophical overview of the nature and practice of friendship from ancient times through to the present.
Sue Lyle
Great readable guide to the history of the philosophy of friendship and how philosophers talk about friendship. Highly recommended for P4C practitioners.
Dittany Rose
Could have done with a thorough edit. But some really thought provoking stuff here.
David
David marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Fatima
Fatima marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
3dnanoo94
3dnanoo94 marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Christie
Christie marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Parnita
Parnita marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Lois
Lois marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Amber Boyatzis
Amber Boyatzis marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Simon
Simon marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Luis
Luis marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Tom Jesson
Tom Jesson marked it as to-read
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Jayden O'Hare
Jayden O'Hare marked it as to-read
Silvia
Silvia marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Narasimhan Sridharan
Narasimhan Sridharan marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Erica Tamburo
Erica Tamburo marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Madeline
Madeline marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Claudia Hochstein
Claudia Hochstein marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Prithvi Ravi
Prithvi Ravi marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
42: Deep Thought on Life, the Universe, and Everything How To Be An Agnostic Plato's Podcasts: The Ancients' Guide to Modern Living Wellbeing What Not to Say: Philosophy for Life's Tricky Moments