Programming Erlang

Programming Erlang

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  364 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Erlang solves one of the most pressing problems facing developers today: how to write reliable, concurrent, high-performance systems. It's used worldwide by companies who need to produce reliable, efficient, and scalable applications. Invest in learning Erlang now.

Moore's Law is the observation that the amount you can do on a single chip doubles every two years. But Moore'...more
Published July 18th 2007 by Pragmatic Bookshelf (first published July 11th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Programming Erlang, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Programming Erlang

David
A book with big cons and big pros. I think it will be easiest if I simply list the cons and the pros.

Let's start with the cons, all of which I attribute to editors asleep at the wheel or on crack:
1. The book is laid out in a reader-hostile manner: topics are introduced completely out-of-order. You'll be skipping around a lot to find in-depth answers for anything.
2. The index is worthless. You're rolling the dice when you try to find a particular topic. Chances are good it's not in the index.
3....more
Dale
This is the definitive book on Erlang, written by Joe Armstrong, the creator of the Erlang language. The book is clearly written, with lots of small examples, and paced for the beginning Erlang programmer.

Erlang takes a little getting used to. It is a functional language, meaning that functions in general are unable to cause side-effects. For example, 'variables' are in one of 2 states: their initial state is 'unbound', their final state is 'has some value that can never change'. Attempting to p...more
Robert Postill
I really wanted to write a lovely review of this not just because it's a prag prog book but also because I like the values espoused by the Erlang community. I had hoped for a tour de force from the language's creator but instead I got a book I skimmed the last hundred pages of.

So what's wrong with it? Half a dozen things, but the crucial thing is that the focus of the book wanes as the book progresses. In the early chapters there's a real feeling of purpose, but by the end you almost feel despon...more
Keyer
It was a while since I wrote my first post. The reason is that I'm reading books parallel and it takes time to finish one in 100%. Although I'm digging trough some interesting materials since October which surely deserve mentioning here, the book I want to write about today hijacked my time pritty well last month, making me read it from the cover to cover in no time.
So here it goes: another book from the Pragmatic Bookshelf - "Programming Erlang - Software for a Concurrent World" by Joe Armstron...more
Chris Maguire
I've been programming with Erlang at work for 9 months already but the book has been a great back-filler and refresher. One key thing I'd forgotten is that generators in list comprehensions create Cartesian products: e.g.

> [{X, Y} || X <- [1,2,3], Y <- [a,b]].
[{1,a},{1,b},{2,a},{2,b},{3,a},{3,b}]
(http://www.erlang.org/doc/programming...)

Armstrong (predictably) has a very thorough grasp of Erlang (having designed it back in 1986) but also has a relaxed style; for example when explaining...more
Tyler
This seemed like a pretty good introduction to Erlang. I can't compare it to other Erlang books, as this is the first one I've read. I wish it was a little more concise and focused, and a bit more clear on where all the pieces fit together. For example, I'm not sure if I should try very hard to rely on OTP entirely for a distributed app, if I should use a library like lib_chan, or if should I stick directly to spawn, link and similar low-level functions.

Despite this qualm, I feel that I have a p...more
Austin Taylor
Jan 17, 2014 Austin Taylor added it
Shelves: 2014
An adequate introduction to the language. Erlang is an important language, and it has enough unfamiliar elements to make it difficult to pick up without a guide. This book deserves credit for being a clear, approachable introduction to the syntax and core ideas of Erlang. However, he does not go as deep as I had hoped. His description of the language itself is thorough, but the chapters on OTP were relatively thin, and I am left with a number of questions about how to build and tune actual produ...more
Dave Peticolas
An excellent introduction to the intriguing programming language and distributed software framework Erlang.
Alvaro Tejada
Love the book...want to learn Erlang? Read this book...full of nice examples this is a must read book!
Sri
Membaca hingga bab 4 saja :). Cukup untuk membuat plugin kecil buat ejabberd.
Menarik membaca buku bahasa pemrograman dari pionirnya. Sebelum membaca buku ini sempat membaca tutorial online. Hasilnya, ya bisa sih kutak kutik di command prompt-nya tapi.... mengapa begini mengapa begitunya jadi ga paham-paham. Dengan membaca buku ini jadi lebih paham filosofinya *jiah*. Sayang hanya membaca sampai bab 4 saja (:|. Sekarang malah harus belajar Java ME dulu. Suatu saat nanti akan belajar Erlang lagi,...more
Adam Schepis
excellent introduction to programming in Erlang. comprehensive, and well put together. Glosses over some of the details of how OTP apps are typically structured (but provides pointers to the right material.)

I would love to see this book updated to include some more modern day examples of where Erlang is being used and tools for building Erlang applications (like Rebar).
Michael
Very good introduction to Erlang, covers all the important basics. Written in an easy to follow way, with mostly interesting examples and some exercises for the reader.
Oleg Petrov
Great introduction to a beautiful language. Just the right size, involving informal style - plus comes from the language author imself!
Hussein
Awesome book! Joe is a smart man and makes everything look easy. I liked the Sherlock case. Highly recommended book.
Richie
Nice book on Erlang language with some cool examples. I think these kinds of languages are the future of programming
Andrew
Книга от создателя Erlang – множество примеров "на пальцах", хорошего кода, да и просто нужной информации.
Bill
For experienced programmers, it's a gem of a language-learning book. Up the learning curve smoothly.
Mark Atwood
Programming Erlang: Software for a Concurrent World by Joe Armstrong (2007)
Russ Olsen
Not a really well written book, but everyone's introduction to Erlang.
Matthew Campbell
Excellent into into Erlang, definitely the future of concurrent programming.
Decy
this book is how to understand traffic formula
Matthew
A great introduction to Erlang!
Amiruddin Nagri
Jul 30, 2007 Amiruddin Nagri marked it as to-read
Shelves: technical, book
Will read it sometime
David Gao
David Gao marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Bignewdev
Bignewdev marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
  • The Joy of Clojure
  • Practical Common LISP
  • Programming Clojure
  • Land of LISP: Learn to Program in LISP, One Game at a Time!
  • Purely Functional Data Structures
  • Learn You a Haskell for Great Good!
  • The Little Schemer
  • The Ruby Programming Language
  • Types and Programming Languages
  • Programming Language Pragmatics

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Concurrent Programming ERLANG Making reliable distributed systems in the presence of software errors Concurrent Programming in ERLANG Men's Health: The Commonsense Approach From Special Care to Specialist Treatment: A History of Muckamore Abbey Hospital