Start by marking “Programming Erlang” as Want to Read:
Programming Erlang

Programming Erlang

Erlang solves one of the most pressing problems facing developers today: how to write reliable, concurrent, high-performance systems. It's used worldwide by companies who need to produce reliable, efficient, and scalable applications. Invest in learning Erlang now.

Moore's Law is the observation that the amount you can do on a single chip doubles every two years. But Moore'
Published July 18th 2007 by Pragmatic Bookshelf (first published July 11th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Programming Erlang, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Programming Erlang

David
Jan 15, 2009 David rated it it was ok
A book with big cons and big pros. I think it will be easiest if I simply list the cons and the pros.

Let's start with the cons, all of which I attribute to editors asleep at the wheel or on crack:
1. The book is laid out in a reader-hostile manner: topics are introduced completely out-of-order. You'll be skipping around a lot to find in-depth answers for anything.
2. The index is worthless. You're rolling the dice when you try to find a particular topic. Chances are good it's not in the index.
Dale
Jan 08, 2009 Dale rated it really liked it
This is the definitive book on Erlang, written by Joe Armstrong, the creator of the Erlang language. The book is clearly written, with lots of small examples, and paced for the beginning Erlang programmer.

Erlang takes a little getting used to. It is a functional language, meaning that functions in general are unable to cause side-effects. For example, 'variables' are in one of 2 states: their initial state is 'unbound', their final state is 'has some value that can never change'. Attempting to p
Austin Taylor
Dec 15, 2013 Austin Taylor added it
Shelves: 2014
An adequate introduction to the language. Erlang is an important language, and it has enough unfamiliar elements to make it difficult to pick up without a guide. This book deserves credit for being a clear, approachable introduction to the syntax and core ideas of Erlang. However, he does not go as deep as I had hoped. His description of the language itself is thorough, but the chapters on OTP were relatively thin, and I am left with a number of questions about how to build and tune actual produ ...more
Sri
Feb 24, 2013 Sri rated it it was amazing
Membaca hingga bab 4 saja :). Cukup untuk membuat plugin kecil buat ejabberd.
Menarik membaca buku bahasa pemrograman dari pionirnya. Sebelum membaca buku ini sempat membaca tutorial online. Hasilnya, ya bisa sih kutak kutik di command prompt-nya tapi.... mengapa begini mengapa begitunya jadi ga paham-paham. Dengan membaca buku ini jadi lebih paham filosofinya *jiah*. Sayang hanya membaca sampai bab 4 saja (:|. Sekarang malah harus belajar Java ME dulu. Suatu saat nanti akan belajar Erlang lagi,
Grzegorz Gołda
Jun 30, 2014 Grzegorz Gołda rated it it was amazing
Very well-written programming book.
Keyer
Aug 11, 2010 Keyer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: coding
It was a while since I wrote my first post. The reason is that I'm reading books parallel and it takes time to finish one in 100%. Although I'm digging trough some interesting materials since October which surely deserve mentioning here, the book I want to write about today hijacked my time pritty well last month, making me read it from the cover to cover in no time.
So here it goes: another book from the Pragmatic Bookshelf - "Programming Erlang - Software for a Concurrent World" by Joe Armstron
Robert Postill
I really wanted to write a lovely review of this not just because it's a prag prog book but also because I like the values espoused by the Erlang community. I had hoped for a tour de force from the language's creator but instead I got a book I skimmed the last hundred pages of.

So what's wrong with it? Half a dozen things, but the crucial thing is that the focus of the book wanes as the book progresses. In the early chapters there's a real feeling of purpose, but by the end you almost feel despon
Chris Maguire
Aug 17, 2013 Chris Maguire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been programming with Erlang at work for 9 months already but the book has been a great back-filler and refresher. One key thing I'd forgotten is that generators in list comprehensions create Cartesian products: e.g.

> [{X, Y} || X <- [1,2,3], Y <- [a,b]].
[{1,a},{1,b},{2,a},{2,b},{3,a},{3,b}]
(http://www.erlang.org/doc/programming...)

Armstrong (predictably) has a very thorough grasp of Erlang (having designed it back in 1986) but also has a relaxed style; for example when explaining
Tyler
Apr 27, 2012 Tyler rated it really liked it
This seemed like a pretty good introduction to Erlang. I can't compare it to other Erlang books, as this is the first one I've read. I wish it was a little more concise and focused, and a bit more clear on where all the pieces fit together. For example, I'm not sure if I should try very hard to rely on OTP entirely for a distributed app, if I should use a library like lib_chan, or if should I stick directly to spawn, link and similar low-level functions.

Despite this qualm, I feel that I have a p
OLASEMO OLADIPO A.
Dec 12, 2015 OLASEMO OLADIPO A. rated it really liked it
Didn't quite understand a large part of the examples in the book. But i get the general idea how powerful Erlang really is., will probably read the book once more while at the same time continue researching online and start up a full blown erlang project.

In my opinion that's the best way to truly learn a language.
Adam Schepis
Jun 24, 2011 Adam Schepis rated it it was amazing
excellent introduction to programming in Erlang. comprehensive, and well put together. Glosses over some of the details of how OTP apps are typically structured (but provides pointers to the right material.)

I would love to see this book updated to include some more modern day examples of where Erlang is being used and tools for building Erlang applications (like Rebar).
Richie
May 01, 2009 Richie rated it really liked it
Shelves: technical
Nice book on Erlang language with some cool examples. I think these kinds of languages are the future of programming
Decy
Jul 30, 2007 Decy rated it liked it
this book is how to understand traffic formula
Andrew
May 07, 2014 Andrew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Книга от создателя Erlang – множество примеров "на пальцах", хорошего кода, да и просто нужной информации.
Oleg Petrov
Feb 04, 2011 Oleg Petrov rated it it was amazing
Great introduction to a beautiful language. Just the right size, involving informal style - plus comes from the language author imself!
Dave Peticolas
May 10, 2014 Dave Peticolas rated it really liked it
An excellent introduction to the intriguing programming language and distributed software framework Erlang.
Amiruddin Nagri
Jul 30, 2007 Amiruddin Nagri marked it as to-read
Shelves: technical, book
Will read it sometime
Adam
Sep 26, 2014 Adam rated it liked it
I found the first quarter to half great and enthusiastic and inspiring to start with but the book got thinner and thinner as I wanted more concrete examples.
Michael
Oct 13, 2010 Michael rated it really liked it
Shelves: programming, erlang
Very good introduction to Erlang, covers all the important basics. Written in an easy to follow way, with mostly interesting examples and some exercises for the reader.
Matthew Campbell
Aug 23, 2007 Matthew Campbell rated it it was amazing
Excellent into into Erlang, definitely the future of concurrent programming.
Bill
Oct 16, 2007 Bill rated it it was ok
For experienced programmers, it's a gem of a language-learning book. Up the learning curve smoothly.
Russ Olsen
May 29, 2010 Russ Olsen rated it liked it
Not a really well written book, but everyone's introduction to Erlang.
Piotr Kalinowski
Jun 30, 2016 Piotr Kalinowski rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computers
I liked the way books is organised. It touches on a broad range of subjects, providing solid foundation not only in syntax, but also Erlang way of doing things.
David
Oct 04, 2015 David rated it it was amazing
code is hard to read sometimes. Actor model concurrency is the way to go though.
Alvaro Tejada Galindo
Aug 23, 2014 Alvaro Tejada Galindo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: programming
Love the book...want to learn Erlang? Read this book...full of nice examples this is a must read book!
Łukasz Biedrycki
It is good to look at the Erlang through the eyes of Joe (that was the main reason I read it).
Maybe it is good for beginners, but definitely not useful for practitioners.
Hussein
Nov 09, 2013 Hussein rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tech, favorites
Awesome book! Joe is a smart man and makes everything look easy. I liked the Sherlock case. Highly recommended book.
Harit Himanshu
Jun 11, 2015 Harit Himanshu rated it it was amazing
One of the first and best books I read this year. Introduces me to functional programming and concept of actor based concurrency, very useful and fun read
Andrei Barbu
Andrei Barbu rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2011
Samuel Rødal
Samuel Rødal rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2013
  • ERLANG Programming
  • Erlang and OTP in Action
  • Learn you some Erlang for great good!
  • The Joy of Clojure
  • Programming Clojure
  • Practical Common LISP
  • Land of LISP: Learn to Program in LISP, One Game at a Time!
  • Purely Functional Data Structures
  • Real World Haskell: Code You Can Believe In
  • The Reasoned Schemer
  • ANSI Common Lisp
  • Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence Programming: Case Studies in Common LISP
  • Programming Elixir: Functional |> Concurrent |> Pragmatic |> Fun
  • The Art of the Metaobject Protocol
  • Let Over Lambda
  • Learn You a Haskell for Great Good!
  • Haskell: The Craft of Functional Programming
  • Lisp in Small Pieces

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

“The best thing to do is create a lagom number of processes. Erlang comes from Sweden, and the word lagom loosely translated means “not too few, not too many, just about right.” Some say that this summarizes the Swedish character.” 0 likes