Start by marking “The Grooming of Alice (Alice, #12)” as Want to Read:
The Grooming of Alice (Alice, #12)

The Grooming of Alice (Alice #12)

3.96  ·  Rating Details ·  1,128 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
The Most Exciting Summer of Their Lives
That's what Pamela says about the summer before ninth grade, and she, Alice, and Elizabeth are determined to make the most of it. All three girls are getting into shape for the new school year by jogging three miles a day and cutting down on junk food, and Alice is enjoying her volunteer job at the local hospital.
But things keep h
Published October 1st 2001 by Simon Pulse (first published May 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Grooming of Alice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Grooming of Alice

Christina Wilder
This is one of the very, very few YA books that I've read that assures the reader that there is nothing wrong with being a sexually curious female, and also that there is nothing wrong with any body type.
Lindsey
The summer starts with the girls deciding they need to get in shape for high school. They go running every morning and swear off sweets but Elizabeth seems to be taking the weight loss too seriously. The girls love to take magazine quizzes and go to a seminar on loving their bodies, no matter what the shape or size. Some scary and sad things happen too as the girls continue to grow up and have to face more adult challenges. Also Alice starts to really act like a teenager and scream and cry all t ...more
Natalie
Summer has come again and Alice and her friends are determined not to let it go to waste. Unfortunately, things aren't working out as well as they'd like.

Elizabeth has basically stopped eating because she feels "fat", Pamela has some major family issues, and Alice is sad that she's getting left behind while Lester and her dad go off traveling. To make matters worse, she and her dad had an awful argument.

I really do love Alice. I read books 1-12 multiple times growing up. Alice was a safe place
Caroline
Aug 24, 2008 Caroline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: young-adult, series
This book was amazing! It's soooo realistic, and you can't put it down! It's about Alice and friends the summer before high school...it's amazing!!!!! read it!
Maria
Oct 06, 2015 Maria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
If you were to ask me if I had to pinpoint with the Alice series switches from middle-grade to young adult, I would say it's The Grooming of Alice.

At one point, Alice, in a fit of pubescent dramatics, dubs the summer between eighth and ninth grade the worst summer ever. I'm normally against hyperbole, but I have to admit that our every-girl heroine sure has a lot of issues thrown at her in these two hundred pages.

Alice, Pamela and Elizabeth decide they need to get in shape for high school and co
Elissa
Jul 30, 2014 Elissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alice and her friends realize that they're about to enter high school with the same bodies they've always had, and embark on a mission to get in shape over the summer. Elizabeth goes a little too far. Pamela's life implodes. Alice becomes a volunteer at the local hospital. Alice loses someone she loves.

Book takes place: Summer before 9th grade.
Alice's life lessons: Normal, normal, normal. Our bodies are all normal.
Best Alice moment(s): Eva Mecuri's outfits; Alice's grounding; Code blue 517; Alic
Kricket
Mar 24, 2008 Kricket rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade, 2010
book 12. pamela & elizabeth talk alice into a summer of dieting and exercise, which elizabeth takes too far. lester dates a scarily materialistic woman. alice & gwen volunteer at the hospital, and alice says goodbye to a dear friend.

i love lester.
Laura Hughes
Apr 01, 2013 Laura Hughes rated it it was ok
Shelves: alice
I'm calling it: this is where the Alice series goes downhill.

Some detractors hate on the high school books because of the increase in sexual content, but I'll defend the series to the ends of the earth from them; I think the frankness with which it approaches sexual topics which are undeniably part of teens' lives is one of the series' strengths. Allowing the characters to grow and change is another, and it would be ridiculous for Alice to retain her childlike naivite as she enters adulthood.

At
Emma
Jan 02, 2013 Emma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes it is difficult for me to separate my love for this series as a whole from my feelings concerning each individual novel.

This book addressed the important theme of learning to accept and love the body you were born into. The teenage years are so rough when it comes to self-image. This is made all the tougher with the persistent bombardment from the media telling you what you need to be better and pointing out each one of your flaws. I don't see that changing anytime soon so it's importa
Samantha
Oct 18, 2012 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen, banned-books
Such a dramatic summer for Alice and her friends! After a mean comment at a pool party, Elizabeth begins to exercise too much and eat too little. Pamela has a fight with her dad that not only gets her in trouble, but also Alice. The disagreements between Pamela and her father become so awful that Pamela decides to move to Colorado with her mother.

Meanwhile, Alice has begun volunteering at the hospital as a candy striper and crosses paths with her favorite teacher Mrs. Plotkin who is suffering h
Heidi
Jun 12, 2012 Heidi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, read-2012
It's the summer between eighth and ninth grades and Alice, Elizabeth, and Pamela plan to hang out with their friends, work a few hours a week, and get in shape. Their early-morning runs and vows to eat healthier foods take a dramatic turn when Elizabeth begins to look like skin and bones. Alice experiences the loss of her favorite teacher and Pamela has problems living with her dad. The three girls attend a workshop for girls only in which body issues are discussed, including weight and sexualit ...more
Apr 03, 2016 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's the summer between 8th and 9th grade, and Alice and her friends have decided to start exercising every morning. Alice and Pamela want to feel healthy, but Elizabeth wants to lose weight. Her boyfriend made a comment about she's become chubby, and now Elizabeth can't focus on anything but losing 15 pounds.

So many other things happen in this book as well. Mrs. Plotkin is admitted into the hospital, Pamela runs away from home, Lester starts dating a new woman, and Alice's dad travels to Englan
Janine Darragh
Brian
Nov 03, 2013 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had a few milestones, it was one of the longest Alice books so far at 200 pages, and also one of the saddest. I read this on my way back from a wedding in about an hour and change. Major things happen to Alice in this book: We get to know her brother Lester's new girlfriend, a development occurs in the romance between her father and her English teacher, her friend suffers from an eating disorder, and worst of all, Alice suffers a huge personal loss. This book was definitely a stand out ...more
Yapha
Jan 17, 2014 Yapha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alice, Pamela, and Elizabeth make a pact to run every morning the summer before ninth grade, so they can fix the flaws they see in their bodies. But when Elizabeth takes it too far, and Pamela continually fights with her dad, Alice is stretched in more directions than ever. How can she make the right choices, and help her friends with theirs? An emotional read as life turns more complicated going into high school. Recommended for grade 7 & up.
♡ Kristina
Banned Books 2011
Reasons: nudity; offensive language; religious viewpoint

Banned Books 2006
Reasons: offensive language and sexually explicit

Banned Books 2003
Reasons: sexual content, offensive language, unsuited to age group

Banned Books 2002
Reasons: homosexuality, sexually explicit, unsuited to age group

Banned Books 2001
Reasons: sexually explicit, unsuited to age group
B
Aug 30, 2011 B rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chelsea
Apr 04, 2015 Chelsea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Alice series was seriously my go-to for any questions I had related to sex when I was in the 5th grade. This one was my particular fave because it was so "dirty". My friend and I would read the paragraph about female anatomy aloud to each other again and again, giggling the whole time. It was my favorite series of all time.
Libby
Jan 19, 2010 Libby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Over the summer, Alice and her friends try to get in shape, Elizabeth takes losing weight a little too far, Lester gets a new girlfriend, Pamela has more trouble with her parents, and Alice's dad goes to visit Miss Summers in Englad. A bit more issue-packed than some previous, but still very enjoyable.
Celine Parker
Jun 13, 2009 Celine Parker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is one of the best from Alice. The summer before high school proves to be one of the most dramatic ever as Elizabeth taked body image too seriously and Pamela puts Alice in an uncomfortable position by running away to her house.
Pamela Hubbard
This is great book for pre-teens with a very relatable character, Alice. Phyllis Reynolds Naylor does a masterful job of delving into the thoughts and emotions of fourteen year old girls and addresses such issues as body image, health, loss of a loved one, and just general issues of growing up.
NNMarie
May 29, 2009 NNMarie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this one really, explained well that people look fine the way they are!
Alyssa
Dec 27, 2010 Alyssa rated it it was ok
I love this book!
Kira Brighton
Apr 17, 2014 Kira Brighton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Addresses quite well a number of serious teenage issues.
Aly
it wuz good

Lauren
Jul 14, 2012 Lauren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a pretty annoying book, probably meant for 12 year olds... It was very imformative of your body and anorexia though.
Roxanne
Aug 19, 2013 Roxanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've always loved this book, and it still seems so relevant. It has such an amazing message about body image that all girls should read and internalize!
Noelle
Mar 14, 2016 Noelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
2; BOOKS
Cynthia
These books are like episodes of Degrassi Junior High and I LOVE IT.
  • King and King
  • The Unbearable Book Club for Unsinkable Girls
  • America
  • Detour for Emmy
  • Arming America: The Origins of a National Gun Culture
  • The Facts Speak for Themselves
  • Spying on Miss Muller
  • Zooman Sam (Sam Krupnik, #4)
  • Family Secrets
  • Jump Ship to Freedom
  • You Hear Me?: Poems and Writing by Teenage Boys
  • Missing Abby
  • Crazy Lady!
  • Stuffed
  • Deal with It! A Whole New Approach to Your Body, Brain, and Life as a gURL
  • The USA (Horrible Histories Special)
  • The Winter Pony
  • Things You Either Hate or Love
Phyllis Reynolds Naylor was born in Anderson, Indiana, US on January 4, 1933.

Her family were strongly religious with conservative, midwestern values and most of her childhood was spent moving a lot due to her father's occupation as a salesman.

Though she grew up during the Depression and her family did not have a lot of money, Naylor stated that she never felt poor because her family owned good boo
More about Phyllis Reynolds Naylor...

Alice (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • The Agony of Alice (Alice, #1)
  • Alice in Rapture, Sort of (Alice, #2)
  • Reluctantly Alice (Alice, #3)
  • All But Alice (Alice, #4)
  • Alice in April (Alice, #5)
  • Alice In-Between (Alice, #6)
  • Alice the Brave (Alice, #7)
  • Alice in Lace (Alice, #8)
  • Outrageously Alice (Alice, #9)
  • Achingly Alice (Alice, #10)

“If it doesn't sweat, jiggle, or pant, it's not alive.” 3 likes
“His face looked almost as gray as his suit, and the pouches beneath his eyes looked like little bags for holding all the sadness that his head couldn't hold.” 2 likes