Preparing for Marriage: Discover God�s Plan for a Lifetime of Love

Preparing for Marriage: Discover God�s Plan for a Lifetime of Love

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  173 ratings  ·  23 reviews
It can be tempting, for couples who are engaged, to focus on planning their wedding day and ignore preparations for the lifetime commitment that begins after the cake is cut. Now, with this revised and updated edition of Preparing for Marriage from FamilyLife, couples can do both! Created by one of America’s leading marriage and family ministries, this dynamic program is d...more
Published April 15th 2010 by Gospel Light (first published October 1st 1997)

Eddie
This makes a pretty substantial case for the necessity of looking at things God's way... Nobody knows how a thing works better than the manufacturer! As I read this, part of me wished this could be adapted somehow for people who aren't Christians, then I realized that there's no way to health and wholeness apart from submission to God, who made us and fashioned us for his purposes, covenant relationship being one of them. I agree with the person who said this isn't an "all-the-answers" book. It...more
Cherise
Jordan and I went through this book before we were engaged - it was a great tool for us. Great conversation starter & interesting topics to think about that perhaps not all couples grapple with (but should) prior to tying the knot. We also went through it in a group/mentor setting that was very helpful, although it is set up so that a couple could do it alone.
Lee
So far so good, working through this book, its partially a workbook to go through with your future spouse
Kipahni
If you have a conventional American Dating Relationship (and by this I mean you meet someone date them, telling a little about yourself each time you date to maintain a shroud of mystery) or you are in a Mysterious online relationship, then perhaps this book will help you for it is very thorough with the questions it asks that you should know about a mate before marrying them.
I however have always been unconventional and my relationship is the same in unconventionalness. So anyway, I found mysel...more
Laurie
My uncle gave me this book for my now-husband and I to read before we got married. Well, we hemmed and hawed over it while trying to find a Christian marriage counselor but when we couldn't find one who would meet with us for free ($400?? no thanks) we decided to use this book as a substitute. Unfortunately, we do not have a conventional relationship and this book really didn't work for us. Most of the questions we had already figured out or talked about because they were the sort of thing that...more
Amyb
Very challenging. Brought up a lot of good conversations. I am a believer that it is easier to discuss, for example, how you will spend the holidays when it is... July... than December. People can be much more rationale discussing tough issues when they are not in the heat of the moment. I think it is best to go through this book even before you get engaged!
Lisa
This is a pretty good book for Christian couples to look at before getting married. It covers a lot of important things to talk about before marriage including finances, sex, family, and expectations. My husband and I went over it with our pastor and his wife during pre-marital counseling and it was a good resource for us.
CJ Bowen
Basic intro to Christian marriage. The questions are more useful than the basic content. If you are working with people who grew up in church, the content may be too introductory, but working through the exercises and answering the questions will be very helpful. New believers will find this particularly useful.
Tammie
This book is a must read for anyone about to enter marriage. It is also a excellent tool for those who are married. It gives you a clear understanding of the purpose of marriage from a bibical point, it explains the true roles of being a husband/wife from God's standards. I truly enjoyed reading this book.
Lisa
Jon and I went through this book while we were engaged - it was a great tool to have, especially while he was in Iraq! Great conversation starter & interesting topics to think about that perhaps not all couples grapple with (but should) prior to tying the knot.
Tim
This is a solid and biblical book that gives teachings and activities that idea for a premarital counseling setting. It might be a little dry and uninteresting on it's own, but if it serves as a foundation upon which you can add other material then it would work well.
Sarah Jo
Even though some of the questions and stories may seem a little pedantic at times, and even though there were a few amusing editorial errors, this book was extremely helpful during our premarital program. Working through it together brought us closer.
Nedu
An in depth biblical look at the purpose of marriage the way God intended it to be. And it was a requirement to read in our pre-engagement class too :) I learned so much from this book. May it bless you as well!
Krystal
Sep 03, 2008 Krystal rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who is wanting to be married, now or anytime
Recommended to Krystal by: pastor and friends
this is an absolute must for anyone who is looking to get married, is married, or might want to be married. love is only 50% of the relationship.... respect is the other 50%. this is a hard lesson that im STILL learning.
Anna
A great book to get couples talking about what's important BEFORE PROPOSING, or, used with a group and a mentor couple, as pre-marriage counseling.

Everyone should do something like this before getting married.
Maren
Easy to follow, sectioned well, but clearly for new believers or believers that are planning to marry nonbelievers. Would have preferred a more truth-based, challenging approach.
Courtney
This book was pretty basic, but it did lead to some good discussion. I would have appreciated a female author, since this book was written by all men.
Mary
Feb 26, 2008 Mary rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who are engaged
This was the book my husband and I went over in premarrital counselling. It was very helpfull.
Danielle
I recommend this book to any Christian couple contemplating marriage! It is extremely thorough.
Lindsay
Definitely a good book for getting conversations started about marriage!
Kristina
Read this book if your engaged or even in a long term relationship.
Chuck Bonadies
A decent book to use for premarital counseling.
Emily
I rolled my eyes a lot. A little cheesy.
Givanildo
Givanildo marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Jayson Stone
Jayson Stone is currently reading it
Jul 17, 2014
Jeensahelly
Jeensahelly marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Katelynn
Katelynn is currently reading it
Jul 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Preparing for Marriage: Discover God's Plan for a Lifetime of Love Preparing for Marriage: Leader's Guide : The Complete Guide to Help You Prepare Couples for a Lifetime of Love I Still Do: Stories of Lifelong Love & Marriage Preparing for Marriage Leader's Guide Life Choices for a Lasting Marriage: Group Leader's Guide