Start by marking “The Secrets of Hidden Creek” as Want to Read:

The Secrets of Hidden Creek

A mystery story set in the lake and mountain country of northern Georgia, based on the century old tradition of vanished confederate treasure.

After three days at Grandma and Grandpa's summer cabin, we knew it was going to be a long, boring summer. Then Jenny got her bright idea: Ghost-Haunting at Wormwood!

I don't know about Chuck, but I felt prickles on the back of my ne
Published November 19th 1968 by Dutton Juvenile (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about The Secrets of Hidden Creek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secrets of Hidden Creek

C.
Jul 08, 2014 C. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After I first read Wylly Folk St. John, as a grown-up, I knew she was a gift. I inhale any of her work that I acquire. They haven’t so far been as paranormal as I want but hint at etherealness. What they always satisfy is today’s great need for a true mystery! No crime, not the standard plot that’s churned out. My desire to chase answers to a ‘mystery for the sake of mystery’, is supplied by Wylly! What’s also tremendously special is her characterization and dialogue, likely from her southern US ...more
Laina SpareTime
One word - dated. This book is just about fifty years old, and boy does it show. The references are outdated, there's a buttload of casual racism, and it's just... not so good. The idea is fun, and I like the idea of having children's books that feature a lot of history and learning about history without actually being historical fiction. I'm sure in 1966, this was a great book. But we have better things now that are hopefully less racist and problematic in other ways. Read the rest on my blog.
Linda K
Jul 12, 2012 Linda K rated it really liked it
We found this little gem in some old books from my mother-in-law. It was dusty and yellowed but what a treasure! I read this with my 7yr old and she loved it. It was her first mystery and it had everything from suspense to great historical/ civil war facts. I know a good book for my kids when I have to fuss at them for reading past bedtime and that is exactly what I got.
Mk619
Jul 27, 2009 Mk619 rated it it was amazing
by Wylly F. St John

I grew up visiting the North Georgia mountains every summer, so this story of a long-lost Confederate treasure, will o'the wisps and three children who go on their own treasure hunt adventure was a delight.
Bitsy
1966
Michele
Apr 15, 2013 Michele rated it really liked it
found these books when emptying a box of stuff from my parents house. Loved the when I was in 5th grade. Had to reread them...just as wonderful now as they were then.
Jenny
Jenny rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2011
Xyra
Xyra rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2010
Abby
Abby rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2008
Maria
Maria rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2013
Martha
Martha rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2012
Dina
Dina rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2016
Lisa C
Lisa C rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2009
Terri
Terri rated it really liked it
May 16, 2014
J Casmina
J Casmina rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2013
Cassy
Cassy rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2011
Leann
Leann rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2011
Terri
Terri rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2009
Lezlee Hays
Lezlee Hays rated it really liked it
May 20, 2010
Natalia
Natalia rated it liked it
May 23, 2009
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2012
Russell Kniffin
Russell Kniffin rated it liked it
Oct 28, 2013
Amy B
Amy B rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2014
Kay Kelly
Kay Kelly rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2015
Joel
Joel rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2013
Gwen Haaland
Gwen Haaland rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2009
Marcia Killingsworth
Marcia Killingsworth rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2013
Kathy
Kathy rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2017
Abigail
Abigail rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2008
Wylly Folk St. John was a popular and successful author of children's mystery books and an Atlanta journalist whose work was much admired across America in the mid 20th century.

She was born in 1908 in Bamberg County, SC. She loved to read and maintained an interest in reading and writing from an early age; she even published a poem at the age of 9. She grew up in Savannah where her family had move
More about Wylly Folk St. John...