Start by marking “The Arabian Nights II: Sindbad and Other Popular Stories” as Want to Read:
The Arabian Nights II: Sindbad and Other Popular Stories

The Arabian Nights II: Sindbad and Other Popular Stories

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  986 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
From the critically acclaimed translator of The Arabian Nights comes a volume of the four most popular later stories: "Sindbad the Sailor", "Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves", "Ala al-Din (Aladdin) and the Magic Lamp," and "Qamar al-Zaman." Readers will discover in each a world of high flamboyance and startling beauty, humor and magic, and lessons of loyalty and love's endu ...more
Published October 17th 1996 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 800)

To ask other readers questions about The Arabian Nights II, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Arabian Nights II

Tyler Gross
Jun 17, 2015 Tyler Gross rated it it was ok
All stories except the the first do not exist in print until a Frenchman wrote them in the early 1700's, despite being much more well known than the stories contained in Haddawy's first book translation. I found Haddawy's explanation at the beginning of the book on the history of these stories and the publication very help, as I had always thought of the collection as a single, reprinted collection dating back to 900-1000. If you know you enjoy these stories and want a copy, I do recommend Hadda ...more
Chris
Dec 09, 2015 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a follow-up to my review of The Arabian Nights, also translated by Hassain Haddawy. This volume contains The Arabian Nights stories which are most familiar to Western audiences, like Sinbad's Seven Voyages, Sindbad and the 40 Thieves, and Aladdin and the Magic Lamp. Oddly enought, if some scholars are correct, these very same tales were forged by European writers to appear to be authentic tales from the Arabian nights.

Yes, they are entertaining, but they seem to lack the full flavor of
Abby
This might be one of the best things I've read all year, and I have read some pretty wonderful things this year. There is so much to say about what makes these stories great that I should probably just go write a whole critical work, but I can't read Arabic and nobody would take me seriously. Instead, rhapsody en Goodreads.

Sindbad, the original (ad)venture capitalist, who upsets the hero's journey with the traveler's journey, replacing a hero's virtues with the virtues of an adventurer--opportun
Gary
Sep 21, 2009 Gary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is the second part of Husain Haddawy's translation of *The Arabian Nights*. Since these familiar tales are later additions, he moved them to a second volume. This volume includes the Story of Sindbad the Sailor, the Story of Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves, the Story of Ala Al-Din (Aladdin), and the Story of Qamar al-Zaman and his Two Sons. I was a little disappointed with the stories of Sindbad, primarily because my expose to this character had come through Hollywood movies, particular ...more
Joseph
Oct 29, 2012 Joseph rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Not nearly as good as the first volume, which seems strange as it contains some of the more famous stories. But the entire book is consumed by extremes, which renders most of characters and plotting woefully inconsistent. Characters are intelligent in one moment and stupid the next. Circumstances are terribly dire until a few pages later when the characters are given incredible wealth and power for no discernible reason. The book's final story (and the only unfamiliar one) is by far the worst in ...more
Aline
Apr 28, 2016 Aline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though these stories are extraordinary to the point where they become surreal even for fantasy, one cannot help but dream of going on these big adventures.
Mariel
Jul 25, 2015 Mariel marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
The Story of 'Ala al-Din and the Magic Lamp (7/25/15)
Keith
Aug 10, 2014 Keith rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a rather odd collection of episodic stories full of murder, torture, slavery, magic, coincidence, and melodrama. Although it includes many of the most well-known (though not original) Arabian Nights stories such as Sinbad, Ali Baba and 40 Thieves, Aladdin (Ala al-Din) and others, they were only mildly entertaining. They reminded me of the darker Grimm Brothers stories. Life is harsh and violent, although also magical and rich.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend these stories unless you are in
Fahad
Dec 11, 2009 Fahad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in the world of 1001 Nights
A great translation. Haddawy has made a huge effort to deliver the essence of the famous stories of "Ala' Aldin and tha magic lamp", "Sindbad","Ali baba and the fourty Thieves" and "Qamar Alzaman and his two sons". The book is a pure entertainment and I recommand it to anyone who is interested in the 1001 Nights' world. My favorite of cousre is "Ala'Aldin", but I also liked the story of "Qamar Alzaman" which I was not familiar with.
Daniel Simmons
Despite my penchant for liking most bits of literature that are several hundreds of years old, these tales tend to be repetitive (perhaps a result of their mostly-oral transmission originally?), peopled with unsympathetic characters confronting parades of marvels about which it is difficult to get too excited because their marvelousness seems emptied of meaning -- it's fantasy for fantasy's sake.
Miriam Day
Mar 03, 2015 Miriam Day rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Repolished Gems

Husain Haddawy's translation of the One Thousand and One Nights is from a fourteenth Century Syrian edition - the oldest manuscript of the stories to have survived. The language in his translations - sensual, sly, bawdy, satirical - reveals these famous tales-within-tales in a new light, demonstrating why they have had such a profound influence on world literature.
Rere Rhea
May 19, 2012 Rere Rhea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Menggambarkan keajaiban-keajaiban timur tengah yang misterius. dan dengan segala kerumitan konflik dari cerita itu sendiri, yang entah bagaimana caranya sang pengarang dapat merangkainya menjadi satu kesatuan jalan cerita yang solid. Kagum dan jatuh cinta dengan penulisnya yang memang sangat jenius krn karyanya.
arafat
Jun 20, 2007 arafat rated it really liked it
This edition comprises the more 'popular' stories--like Aladdin, Ali Baba, and Sindbad--that weren't quite part of the supposed 'original' corpus of the 1001 Nights. The tales in this volume are quite fascinating to read and study, but I didn't find them as enjoyable as the ('original') ones in the first volume.
Srin
Jul 19, 2008 Srin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Wow Disney has missed a few gory details, like sewing a dead body back together, lamb carcases,and "Alladin" being a peeping tom! Entertaining so far...Tarantino should get his hands on this one.
Stacy
Jan 12, 2012 Stacy rated it liked it
You have to get the Husain Haddawy translation. He keeps truest to the original stories without censoring or over-elaborating for shock.
Judith
Taught Sindbad for the first time in Rise of the Novel and it paired extremely well with other travelogues like Gulliver.
Jennifer Fugate
May 27, 2008 Jennifer Fugate rated it really liked it
A great story book, even, or actually, ESPECIALLY for grown-ups!
Mark Singer
Jan 12, 2013 Mark Singer rated it really liked it
Another good translation of classic tales from The Arabian Nights.
muhammad reza
May 22, 2009 muhammad reza rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ada yg jual buku ini ga ya..saya pgn beli ni
Angeline Yeung
Angeline Yeung marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Ahmed Naufal
Ahmed Naufal marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Rada
Rada marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
H
H marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Shawn
Shawn added it
Jul 07, 2016
Christin
Christin marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Martin Skalsky
Martin Skalsky rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2016
Luke Micallef
Luke Micallef rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2016
Bilal Ahmed
Bilal Ahmed rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2016
Farseer
Farseer marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016