Start by marking “Chasing The Night (Eve Duncan, #11; Catherine Ling, #1)” as Want to Read:
Chasing The Night (Eve Duncan, #11; Catherine Ling, #1)

Chasing The Night (Eve Duncan #11)

4.12  ·  Rating Details ·  10,474 Ratings  ·  401 Reviews
A CIA agent's two-year-old child was stolen in the night as a brutal act of vengeance. Now, eight years later, this torment is something Catherine Ling awakens to every day. Her friends, family, and colleagues tell her to let go, move on, accept that her son is never coming back. But she can't. Catherine needs to find someone as driven and obsessed as she is to help her - ...more
Published October 19th 2010 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Chasing The Night, please sign up.

Rachael Uponen I'd actually read some Eve Duncan books before reading this, but no, I don't think you'd be lost. This book is mostly about Catherine, and it's where…moreI'd actually read some Eve Duncan books before reading this, but no, I don't think you'd be lost. This book is mostly about Catherine, and it's where her story begins, so I don't think you'll have any trouble. All Eve Duncan books give the reader a sort of "refresher" on what her story is: She's a forensic sculptor who is searching for her daughter's killer, and she periodically talks to her daughter's ghost. That's it, really.(less)

Alex is The Romance Fox
This is one of my favorite romantic suspense series of all time. I have journeyed with Even Duncan on her quest to finding out about her daughter’s disappearance when she was five years old.
I have become attached to many of the characters that I have met throughout the books and in Chasing the Night, we are introduced to the new and fascinating character of Catherine Ling. Born in Hong Kong, living in the streets by her wits, she’s recruited as an CIA when very young.

Catherine‘s 2 year old son
Kathryn
Jan 07, 2011 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Eight years after a CIA agent’s two-year-old son was stolen in the night, Eve Duncan becomes involved in the case. Eve Duncan lost her own daughter years ago and has turned her grief over the loss of her child to helping others as a forensic sculptor. As a way to help Catherine Ling, the CIA agent, Eve uses age progression to try to help Catherine deal with her feelings of grief and loss.

Both women endure the worst imaginable horror for a mother - the loss of their child. After facing this horr
Candace
Oct 29, 2013 Candace rated it it was ok
I listened to the audiobook on a road trip. You could have had a drinking game with the phrase "(S)he moistened his/her lips." I laughed out loud each time because the author used it so often it was ridiculous. Also, she seems overly fond of the word "jerkily."

This was my first encounter with this author and I probably won't read anything else by her.
Joseph Young
This book started off with some potential, but then descended into nuttery and boring drawn out conversations.

Superwoman CIA Agent Catherine Ling saves a girl, Kelly Winters, from capture at the hands of a Colombian gang who has killed her father and raped her. No problems so far. Catherine uses this success as leverage on the CIA to get info to try to rescue her son, Luke, from a Russian mobster and power broker.

Enter Eve Duncan, a child skull reconstructionist, who Catherine wants to run an c
Kathy
Sep 06, 2015 Kathy rated it did not like it
I brought one audio book along with me on a trip...this one..I have learned my lesson. I am not sure what it was I hated most about Chasing the Night...the actress' interpretation of the book and her "voices" for each character...the author's one dimensional characters...or the far-fetched storyline. Perhaps it was the fact that this book is the 11th in a series that I have never read before and therefore I did not have a good understanding of Eve Duncan and prior storylines. Eve is a forensic ...more
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
I didn't notice that this was a series book. Let alone the newest in the series of Eve Duncan. Having never read a Iris Johansen book I figured I would give it ago. It was a good read. But I must admit, I kind of got bored with it in the start and middle.
Jan
Jul 12, 2014 Jan rated it did not like it
I listened to this audio book while on a recent road trip. It was so awful that it was almost painful to listen to. Unfortunately I had no other books on CD from the library with me and I had neglected to grab any of my music CDs before I left. So, I was pretty much stuck with this to listen to.

To say it was beyond boring is being nice. Most of the story, roughly 90%, is endless conversations about the same thing over and over. Here’s the story in a nutshell.

CIA agent Catherine Ling is able to
Debbie
Nov 02, 2010 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first time reading an Iris Johansen book even though I've heard about her for awhile and kept meaning to pick up one of her books. It certainly did not disappoint.

The Characters

I fell in love with Eve and Joe right away. Both characters were strong without being overbearing, co-dependent or pig headed. I want to learn more about Bonnie especially when I found out there are several books about Eve Duncan so I assume there is a back story there. Catherine also began to grow on me altho
Chris
Feb 25, 2013 Chris rated it liked it
Cheryl
Dec 18, 2010 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Eve Duncan is one of the best forensic sculptors in the world. This is why when CIA agent, Catherine Ling need someone to help her learn the truth about her son, Luke, she turns to Eve. Cause only the best will do for Catherine.

Nine years ago, Luke was kidnapped by Sergei Rakovac. Sergei is one of the most powerful members of the Russian mafia. All this time, Catherine has wondered if Luke is dead or alive. Sergei can not be touched. He made a deal with the CIA. In exchange for helping Catherin
Ayo Summers
Jan 26, 2012 Ayo Summers rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011-2012
Chasing the Night by Iris Johansen is about a women named Eve Duncan. Her daughter Bonnie was killed in cold blood and now eight years later Catherine Ling is facing the same hardship. Catherine is trying desperately to find her son Luke who was taken away from her. All of Catherine's colleagues are convinced that Luke will never be found but she refuses to give up. When no one else would help her she seeks out Eve Duncan's assistance. Now Eve and Catherine must do whatever they can to find ...more
Yasmin
Apr 25, 2013 Yasmin rated it liked it
More like 3.5 stars definitely better than the book before it. This story didn't really center around Eve or Joe...but rather Catherine Lin, CIA agent whose son was abducted when he was only 2 years old. Nine years later she's still looking for him...and hoping that she will find him alive. Nine years is a long time to believe that a child is still alive...but this is Iris Johansen...so you have to suspend belief...and keep hope alive.
Renee
Dec 23, 2013 Renee rated it really liked it
I have a hit or miss relationship with the Iris Johansen's novels and her Eve Duncan. This was a hit with me. The introduction of Catherine Ling to the picture was a pretty great addition. (Not to mention Kelly and Luke.)
Betty
Aug 09, 2013 Betty rated it really liked it
Excellent book! I found it hard to but down as there was one twist after another and the characters were very interesting. Would highly recommend it to those who enjoy a fast action mystery.
Andrea
Jun 26, 2012 Andrea rated it it was amazing
awesome
Eve
Nov 07, 2016 Eve rated it really liked it
Chasing The Night by Iris Johansen
Series: Eve Duncan, #11, Catherine Ling, book 1
Romantic Suspense / Mystery

Chasing the Night matches up Eve Duncan and Catherine Ling, a troubled woman who is searching for her lost child, Luke. Luke was taken when he was 2-years-old by a Russian gangster that Catherine had brought down during her time in the CIA. Rakovac, the gangster, has been baiting Catherine for years, torturing her by not telling her whether Luke is alive or dead.
Catherine needs to find so
Rachael Uponen
Jun 29, 2016 Rachael Uponen rated it liked it
I kind of have a love-hate relationship with this book. On the one hand, it was kind of a refreshing change of pace from the Eve Duncan stories, most of which had yet to impress me, and the Jane MacGuire books, which were intolerable for reasons I'll get into when I review them. It was actually interesting to see Eve do an age progression instead of a skull reconstruction.

I'd already read "Bonnie," so I knew how that particular tale would end. I also know, more or less, how this book would end,
Julia O'grady
Oct 24, 2016 Julia O'grady rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book. Story was good and fast moving.
Shelley
Feb 07, 2011 Shelley rated it it was ok
Synopsis: A CIA agent's two-year-old child was stolen in the night as a brutal act of vengeance. Now, eight years later, this torment is something Catherine Ling awakens to every day. Her friends, family, and colleagues tell her to let go, move on, accept that her son is never coming back. But she can't. Catherine needs to find someone as driven and obsessed as she is to help her-- and that person is Eve Duncan. She knows that Eve shares her nightmare, since closure is also something that eludes ...more
Neill Smith
Catherine Ling, CIA agent extraordinaire, accepted a job to rescue an American industrialist and his daughter who had been kidnapped and were being held in the jungle outside Salmeta, Colombia in trade for a top secret file and a connection with Eve Duncan, a forensic sculptor, to help her find Luke, her son, kidnapped nine years earlier by a Russian mafia member. As Catherine learns that the Russian, Rakovac, seems to be working to some sort of endgame in his persistent arrogant taunting ...more
JBradford
Jan 21, 2015 JBradford rated it liked it
I am a great fan of Iris Johansen, who started writing novels after her kids went off to college and now has at least 81 novels under her belt! (Plus some others that she co-authored.) For the first decade she wrote romances (I don’t remember if I ever read any of those), but then she turned to crime/suspense in the 1990s and she has been writing bestsellers ever since. Whenever a most successful projects has been a series about Eve Duncan, a child of the slums, whose life changed when her ...more
Al
Feb 07, 2013 Al rated it liked it
Review

Praise for the novels of Iris Johansen

“Action-packed!”—_Publishers Weekly _on Eight Days to Live

“With an imaginative plot and gut-wrenching action…this novel packs a wallop and is impossible to put down.”—_Tucson__ Citizen _on Eight Days to Live

“You’ll want to keep the lights on while reading!”—_Romantic Times BOOKreviews_ on Blood Game__

“Johansen is becoming a master of the macabre and paranormal thriller, and her latest riveting Eve Duncan tale has it all, from ghosts and secret cul

Jul 05, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it
I've missed a few books in this series, but seeing as I've read Iris Johansen's books out of order before, I thought it would be alright. I actually had to take a break from this series, because, though I truly enjoy it, I was getting frustrated with where it was going... or not going. That, and the older I get, or perhaps the longer I'm a mother, the more trouble I have reading about the abduction or death of children.

Don't get me wrong. I love this series. Iris Johansen is one of my favorite a
Ariana
Dec 27, 2014 Ariana rated it really liked it
Shelves: part-of-a-series
Ratkin
Sep 28, 2010 Ratkin rated it liked it
Shelves: won
Since the review system only allows whole numbers of stars, I'm unable to use the rating I'd really like to give, which is three and a half stars. This was my first Iris Johansen book, and I might or might not find myself trying another. If that sounds wishy-washy, it's a fair indication of how I felt about "Chasing the Night."

I'm not going to bother rehashing the plot, since there's enough of that to go around. I'll stick more to its good and bad aspects. There's a lot to recommend the book, qu
Cathy Savage
Sep 21, 2016 Cathy Savage rated it really liked it
I kept this beside the bed so my reading was very sporadic until I was reaching the end, then I had trouble putting it down. I really enjoyed the book and will read more by this author.
Danica
Dec 23, 2012 Danica rated it liked it
Suspense Magazine
Sep 07, 2010 Suspense Magazine rated it really liked it
Pulse-pounding with a side of soothing familiarity, means you must be reading the newest installment in the Eve Duncan series, “Chasing the Night” by Iris Johansen. Never a dull moment, Johansen flawlessly tangles the haunting and seemingly hopeless hunt for a stolen child and global pursuit for a monster with her compassionate and competent heroine.

Having risen to the top of her field, Eve Duncan uses more than an advanced knowledge of science in order to meet the demands of her job. Eve instin
Doris
Jul 04, 2016 Doris rated it liked it
Shelves: supernatural, series
Chasing the Night brings us another story of Eve Duncan, which is actually much better than some of the others in the series, as it doesn’t wallow in grief for a lost child, but instead focuses on retrieving a stolen child. The story starts with Catherine Ling, a CIA agent, retrieving a child in Columbia, then demanding as her payment the services of Eve Duncan to do an age progression.

Ling’s son was kidnapped by a Russian mobster nine years before, and all her efforts to retrieve him have fail
Bookmom
Apr 09, 2011 Bookmom rated it really liked it
Eleventh book featuring expert forensic facial sculpturer, Eve Duncan, who is practically forced to do a computer age progression on the son of desperate CIA agent, Catherine Ling. Luke had been kidnapped by Rakovac in Russia as a means to hurt her when her son was only two and still calls her periodically to get as much pain out of her as possible. Rakovac has fed the CIA just enough intel over the years to keep them off his back. But something big is going on. The CIA needs to know what ...more
  • Blood Sins (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #11)
  • Without Mercy
  • Death on the D-List (Hailey Dean, #2)
  • Secrets to the Grave (Oak Knoll, #2)
  • Whiplash (FBI Thriller, #14)
  • The Killing Edge
  • Death Echo (St. Kilda Consulting, #5)
  • Hangman (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #19)
  • Tough Customer (Mitchell & Associates #2)
Iris Johansen is a New York Times bestselling author. She began her writing after her children left home for college. She first achieved success in the early 1980s writing category romances. In 1991, Johansen began writing suspense historical romance novels, starting with the publication of The Wind Dancer. In 1996 Johansen switched genres, turning to crime fiction, with which she has had great ...more
More about Iris Johansen...

Eve Duncan (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • The Face Of Deception (Eve Duncan, #1)
  • The Killing Game (Eve Duncan, #2)
  • The Search (Eve Duncan, #3)
  • Body of Lies (Eve Duncan, #4)
  • Blind Alley (Eve Duncan, #5)
  • Countdown (Eve Duncan, #6)
  • Stalemate (Eve Duncan, #7)
  • Quicksand (Eve Duncan, #8)
  • Blood Game (Eve Duncan, #9)
  • Eight Days To Live (Eve Duncan, #10)

“It's hard to know what's right when everyone thinks you're wrong.” 5 likes
“Enough of this soul-searching. What would be, would be. She could only do what she thought was right.” 0 likes