Start by marking “Rooms” as Want to Read:
Rooms

Rooms

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,141 Ratings  ·  515 Reviews

On a rainy spring day in Seattle, young software tycoon Micah Taylor receives a cryptic, twenty-five-year-old letter from a great uncle he never knew. It claims a home awaits him on the Oregon coast that will turn his world inside out. Suspecting a prank, Micah arrives at Cannon Beach to discover a stunning brand new nine-thousand square foot house. And after meeting Sar

Published April 1st 2010 by B&H Publishing Group (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Rooms, please sign up.

Alexandra You buy it , either download it on Amazon or another book selling site or go to a bookstore if you don't have an E reader.

Johnny Virgil
Holy crap! No, that's not a two word review, but it could be. This book was not at all what I was expecting. As a "non-religious" person, I found this book to be a little too over the top with the holy-roller stuff. If you're a confirmed believer in all things God/Savior/Sin, you will probably love it. If you are turned off by televangelists or Jehovah's Witnesses, you will probably hate it. I had the distinct feeling that if the author met me, he would tell me I was going to burn in hell.

The Ch
Jamie
Apr 03, 2016 Jamie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My rating of this is a 3.5, but since I cannot do 1/2 stars, I'll go on the generous side. Let me also start off by stating very clearly that this novel is Christian Fiction. Very strongly so. That is fine with me but I know some do not enjoy reading it and the plot synopsis does not exactly share that crucial tidbit.

So there is my first urging to all readers-if this novel's Christian basing does not match your beliefs, there is a good chance you will not enjoy this book. Even for me, as a Chris
Melissa
Aug 28, 2011 Melissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Wow, not sure what I want to say about this book that I just finished up? I guess I will start with my first anticipation....

Rooms was toted as being similar to "The Shack". I loved "The Shack"! In fact I think during the time that book was in my hands all I wanted to do was read it and nothing else. It was fantastical (fantastic, fantasy, mystical - all rolled into one word). When I happened across Rooms at the bookstore, it was the cover that first drew me in. Yes, I am one of those people who
Amy
Jan 05, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How would you feel if you inherited a house on a beach made just for you? Oddly enough, it reflected your personality? Would you be excited? What about, if this house came from an uncle you never really met, and this uncle was the family weirdo? Still excited? Well... I'd think that I would be ecstatic... until, maybe living there made feel like I was losing my sanity.

Micah Taylor, inherits a home from his long been dead Uncle Archie. An uncle he has never met. Micah is the owner of his own soft
Jerri
Apr 24, 2010 Jerri rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is everything I dislike about most Christian fiction: it is preachy, it is unrealistic and it is annoying. I am a sci-fi fan so I am all for suspending reality for a good story but this was ridiculous. I don't know how anyone could compare it to The Shack, not even close. I never really cared about Micah and I only kept reading it because I knew it would be quick read. For a software genius the guy was just a tad slow to grasp the obvious. I was also bothered by some of the author's th ...more
Heatheraine
Lawrence
As I was reading Rooms, I thought about the rooms in my heart for Jesus Christ. Am I allowing Him first place in every area of my heart? That question has stayed with me throughout the reading of this book. It was truly a soul searching and thought-provoking experience. I highly recommend it to all readers. Please make room in your heart for Jesus Christ.
Mike (the Paladin)
What can I say here? I really, really wanted to like this book. A friend of mine here "kids" me because I so often open a review with, "I'm a Christian". I do that so anyone who reads my review will understand the point of view with which I approach the book in question.

This is....make no mistake...a Christian fiction. It sets out to tell a slightly allegorical tale (not precisely allegorical but that's getting semantic) of a man's journey back to Christ.

Now, that isn't a spoiler and I include i
Keiki Hendrix
Oct 06, 2010 Keiki Hendrix rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"A wonderful fictional portrayal of the mysterious, adventurous, and amazing workings of God in the life of a believer on his way to his hearts desire.”

Are you a believer? Or, are you on your way to walking with God? If so, you are going to find the events in this novel right up your alley.

Micah Taylor, the twenty-something founder of a multi-million dollar software company finds himself finds himself summoned to a journey of fulfillment like he has never known before which will take him through
Molly (Cafinated Reads)
May 21, 2010 Molly (Cafinated Reads) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Molly (Cafinated Reads) by: FIRST
OH.MY.GOODNESS. How on earth do I start this review? How do I put it into words what I feel about this book? There are so many things I'm feeling right now! That was ABSOLUTELY amazing. God truly spoke to me through James L. Rubart's words. I enjoy nearly every book I read, but few are so powerful that they leave me speechless and raw afterward. But, boy, did this one sure do that!

The plot line of facing your past, no matter how horrible or rough it maybe, forgiving yourself, others and your pa
Paula Vince
It seems the blurb and cover of this book led some reviewers to think this would be a haunted house story. It's actually something like a Christian version of "Sliding Doors" which intrigued me from the start.

Micah Taylor is a young business tycoon in the computer software industry. One day, he receives a letter from a great-uncle who's been dead for twelve years, informing him that a new coastal home has just been completed for him to inherit.

The house turns out to have creepy goings-on behind
Regina
I like James Rubart and loved 2 of his previous books, Soul's Gate and Memory's Door. Rooms was another trip into the wonders of what God can do on levels that defy our basic understanding of Him. Rooms was an interesting book based on the premise of what relationships and choices do to your life. I loved the house and the rooms! Very interesting and exciting! I liked the characters Rick,and Sarah. I was not as accepting of the main character Micah. I think he was extremely stupid for a software ...more
Cheryl Olson
What if you had the choice of choosing A) A life with prestige, fame, wealth and power or B) A life with a deep and meaningful relationship with God? What if you had the opportunity to wander back and forth between both lives and see the results of those choices? Pretty thought provoking stuff. James Rubart examines these ideas and many more in his book Rooms: A Novel.
Micah Taylor, a very successful up-and-comer Seattle based Software mogul, is put into a huge quandary. “Is the life I’m living
Michelle Rayburn
Jun 07, 2010 Michelle Rayburn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved Rooms! I purchased it as a gift but snuck a peak when I got it home, and then I couldn’t put it down until I finished it. I liked the simplicity of the description combined with the complexity of the surreal fantasty of a house that keeps changing. It’s a journey of personal healing, of finding what really matters, and of letting go of that which hinders God from something better than we expected. Although wealth doesn’t mutually exclude a relationship with Jesus. For Micah Taylor, his p ...more
Ron
Apr 10, 2012 Ron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Potentially a classic of Christian speculative fiction. It combines a modern setting and protagonist point of view with a classic Christian confrontation and choices. Not quite an allegory, but certainly not "normal" fiction. Sort of like It's a Wonderful Life (upside down) meets A Christmas Carol.(The liner notes do it a disservice by comparing it to The Shack It's much better, though both are contemporary stories touched by the supernatural.)

Can't discuss any of the plot or characters without
Michelle
May 27, 2012 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-reads
Absolutely Brilliant! Mystical and Magical! Brought both tears of joy, as well as tears of sorrow while reading this. Not just for the characters, but, from my own heart as well. Ironically, I had befriended someone over two years ago. We instantly bonded and had a great connection. I often called him my "Angel on Earth" because of the timing he came into my life. He helped me through some personal issues and I like to think I helped boost his self esteem, as well. Just over 6 months ago we said ...more
Danielle
Let me start out by saying that I feel bad giving this book three stars. Not because the book deserves more--I think three stars is just about right--but because the author is such a nice guy.

I met James Rubart at a Christian writer's conference several years ago. Back then, I was a teenager still in college, struggling to write even a short story that I was happy with, wondering if I was meant to be a writer or if I should just quit while I was ahead. Rubart was the keynote speaker at a local
Janalyn Voigt
What would you do?

What if a house you inherited is more than it seems? What if doors appear out of nowhere and lead to rooms filled with mystery? What if your life changed daily in unimagined ways? For Seattle software tycoon, Micah Taylor, these questions are not academic. An uncle he's never met leaves him a house in Canon Beach on the Oregon Coast. Micah determines to sell the home, especially since it's located in a place that holds powerful memories for him. But after a visit, and after me
Belle
Aug 04, 2015 Belle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You've definitely got some cheesy Christian fiction here. HOWEVER, As Wordman made me think in his review, if you are open to receiving the message of this book, it is going to be right for you. Even though wading through the thick nacho cheese was difficult at time, I did find some truths that I needed right this very second in my life. This is why I give it 4 stars.
Jeffc11
Nov 29, 2009 Jeffc11 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone and to those who are searching.
I had the great joy and pleasure of reading an unedited version of Rooms. Put on your seat belt and hang on! James L. Rubart takes you on a twisting turning journey you'll not soon forget. With amazing character development and the crafting of strong images, you find yourself riveted to the story line with each chapter leaving you wanting more.

Rubart's use of his word vault draws you in from the beginning and keeps you dialed in until the very last word. Even then, he leaves you wanting more!

It
Heidi Williams
Jan 26, 2016 Heidi Williams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a uniquely different view on how we hear the voice of God. The writing style was very creative.
Candy
Sep 11, 2011 Candy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!!
Recommended to Candy by: Cindy Teter
I simply could not get enough of this book! I think I have needed to read this one for a long time and I hate that I put off reading it for so long! I loved the supernatural aspects all woven together. Again I have found a book where the author has written about many of the thoughts, ideas and theories I have often wondered about. This definitely goes down as one of my favorites! Highly recommended.
Jerry
Oct 15, 2013 Jerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Quickie Review

An imaginative allegory, Rooms was a great read that I finished in one sitting. Those who aren't fans of fantasy may not like it, but for a geek like me, it was an insane read. The writing was great, as was the story. It's not as scary as it would seem, but it does have its weird moments.

Score: 4.5/5
Linda  Branham Greenwell
HArd to classify... it is on the same order as The Shack
A house where Rooms change according to the decisions that a man makes
I enjoyed the book
Judie Dooley
Jan 25, 2015 Judie Dooley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW---this book was something really different than anything I've read before.A Seattle software tycoon gets a letter from his great uncle, he has never known, that changes his life. the uncle has built him a mansion on the Oregon coast. He goes to Oregon intending to sell the house. He starts to feel that he might keep the house as a weekend getaway. s trange things start to happen as he enters different different rooms and things really get stranger. He begins to find his lost faith and return ...more
Ronie
Apr 13, 2010 Ronie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a life-changing book for me. Great storytelling and spiritually impacting!
Janet Sketchley
Apr 04, 2016 Janet Sketchley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Micah Taylor has it all: prestigious business, penthouse condo, a girlfriend who’s his perfect match. Until he leaves Seattle for Cannon Beach, Oregon, to check into a house he inherited.

The house is everything he’d have wanted had he designed it himself – except for the location, stirring memories of childhood tragedy. And except for the mysterious rooms that suddenly appear.

Rooms is a supernatural tale of how God might lead a person to revisit “rooms” in his heart to bring healing and truth.

Th
WORDMAN
Jul 20, 2015 WORDMAN rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If ever there was fiction that should be read with an open heart, this one is at the top of my list.

For those who believe in the Word, you assuredly know that the Word was written in parables. Thus said, Rooms is a parable for edification of the Higher Power, and not for the rolling of the eyes when something far-fetched takes us into the fog of a twilight zone.

Sometimes a book will open right in front of you that hasn’t been opened in years for no apparent reason. When I first read this book in
Timothy Stone
What would happen if you could take, or could take a loved one on, a trip through your very soul? Everything about you is literally, not just figuratively on display. What if you could live two parallel lives simultaneously? What if you could choose two different paths, knowing that one has fame, fortune, and worldly success, and the other has love, peace, and freedom, if a bit less “success” as the world calls it? What would you do?

This is the question at the heart of the novel *Rooms* by Jame
Wyndy
May 23, 2010 Wyndy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, this was a great Christian suspense novel. Plus it also elicited many personal questions with the theme, what would I do if I was presented with those revelations and choices? The writing was consistently smooth, interesting, descriptive, and thoughtful. The main character displayed all the insecurities that would show up in the situations and the author followed through on the character's thought reasoning in a believable manner. The book is basically about how life on the outside doesn't ...more
What about the brother? 2 24 Sep 27, 2013 07:13AM
Grace Awards Exch...: Christianity Today and the trials of the christian indie 16 49 Sep 24, 2012 06:43PM
  • Snow Melts in Spring
  • The Incumbent (Madison Glenn #1)
  • One Night in Boston (One Night, #1)
  • The Homeplace
  • Dark Pursuit
  • Farraday Road (Lije Evans Mysteries #1)
  • Daisy Chain (Defiance, Texas Trilogy #1)
  • Hunter's Moon
  • Breach of Trust (Call of Duty, #1)
  • Wounded Healer (Homeland Heroes #1)
  • A Promise to Remember
  • Indivisible
  • Tender Graces
  • Off the Record
  • Lion of Babylon
  • Saving Sailor: A Quirky Girl, A Faithful Dog, and One Unforgettable Summer (A.J., #1)
  • Sophie's Secret (Sophie, #2)
  • Primitive
James L. Rubart is a 28 year old trapped in an older man's body, who loves to water ski and dirt bike with his two grown sons. He's the bestselling, award winning author of seven novels, including his latest, The Five Times I Met Myself. He lives with his amazing wife on a small lake in eastern Washington.
More about James L. Rubart...

“Utterly engulfed,
And wanting more.
Buried,
Drowned,
Intoxicated,
With the vastness of love.
Losing myself as the waves wash over me,
Through me,
Surrounding me,
Caught up in the a hurricane of overwhelming peace,
I have let go,
And He has found me.”
21 likes
“Your heart broke again and again, and you tried to fix the pieces with the salves of the world. But they can only dull the pain; they cannot heal. You have been chained. You’ve hidden your heart in the dark places. But I came to heal the brokenhearted and set the captives free.” 1 likes