Start by marking “A Name of Her Own” as Want to Read:
A Name of Her Own

A Name of Her Own (Tender Ties Historical #1)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  693 ratings  ·  104 reviews
Based on the life of Marie Dorion, the first mother to cross the Rocky Mountains and remain in the Northwest, A Name of Her Own is the fictionalized adventure account of a real woman’s fight to settle in a new landscape, survive in a nation at war, protect her sons and raise them well and, despite an abusive, alcoholic husband, keep her marriage together.

With two rambunct
Published October 7th 2009 by WaterBrook Press (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about A Name of Her Own, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Name of Her Own

Heather
Marie Dorion traveled with her husband and two little children on an fur trade expedition from St. Louis to Astoria, Oregon. Their route was similar and subsequent to the Lewis and Clark/Sacajawea journey. From a historical perspecive I liked learning more of the details and logistics of these amazing journeys.

Read the Author's Note at the back for specific explanations of which events are true or imagined.

From a "true story imagined" perspective, the unexpected beauty of the book, for me, was
Joy
Oct 16, 2008 Joy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who would like to visualize what it was like to live in the WW valley in 1800s!
This story grew to such magnitude in my mind that I thirsted for the next one to follow! I couldn't put the books down until I was at the end. It is the story of the 'first mother to cross the Rocky mountains in winter'. It is the story of a woman who battles the elements as well as her own husband, a French/indian trapper/interpreter for Wilson Hunt Astoria expedition of 1811, when it came to the survival of her sons. Much of her story takes place along the Columbia River from Wenatchee area to ...more
DubaiReader
A slow read.

Although this novel has been highly acclaimed by other readers, I found it a slow read. The sections where Marie interracted with other characters on a personal level flowed well, but I got bogged down in the minutiae of the general day to day survival.

Marie was based on Marie Dorion who travelled with an investigatory expedition from St. Louis to Astoria in Oregon. She accompanied her interpreter husband with two young sons, across thousands of miles of inhospitable terrain and we a
Lenora Good
Ms. Kirkpatrick has written an engaging novel about the life of an extraordinary woman and Ioway Indian, Marie Dorion.

The author is a master storyteller, and will pull you into the story as you follow along in the footsteps of this courageous woman, as she journeys first by river boat, then across land by horseback and walking, and eventually by canoe.

You will easily and effortlessly become involved in this woman’s story as told by Kirkpatrick.

Although this is a novel, Marie Dorion was a real w
Linda
This is the first of three and the first I had read of Jane Kirkpatrick's. In order: A Name of Her Own, Every Fixed Star and Hold Tight the Thread. All are about Marie Dorian. I grew up in the Northwest and so I found these books absolutely filled with history and told beautifully in fictional form. It makes me want to revisit the NW, with all the history that I have from Jane's research. She has a subtle and lovely way of bringing God into her writings, without preaching or pushing the idea of ...more
Mimi
Incredibly slow-starting, and slow moving even once the story got going (after about page 150, frustratingly) - interesting history and I liked the author's note explaining what was fact and what was fiction.

Another reviewer, Heather, posted this quote, which I also loved (thank you!) :

"Marie straightened her shoulders, hiked Paul up higher on her back, gaining courage. When she did, she remembered a blessing her husband's mother gave to her once when Marie lifted her baby son onto the board. "
Heather
about halfway through. really good so far.
Cayleigh
This is the fictionalized story of a real woman named Marie Dorian who crossed the Rocky Mountains with the Wilson Hunt Astoria expedition of 1811. Her husband was their Native American interpreter. She was full native and her husband a metis, half native half white. This is the imagined story that Kirkpatrick feels could have surrounded Marie in her desire to, at all costs, keep her family of two boys with her husband and not get left behind in St.Louis. I really liked the knowledge that we wer ...more
Deb
What a story! Every time I read about the journeys and hardships our early predecessors endured, I have a renewed sense of admiration and awe for them. This story of Marie Dorion and her family is no exception. To take long travels with children, even in this days and age, is sometimes a trying feat, but to travel across the wild country in early 1800's takes near saintly perseverance. But as Marie finds, Providence provides.

I found that the author, Jane Kilpatrick, did a wonderful job telling t
I have mixed feelings about this book. I thought it was well-written with an interesting storyline, and it seemed to be well-researched. Marie Dorion was certainly a strong woman to have endured what she endured and to have kept her children alive throughout it all. It was interesting to read about her and made me feel pretty cozy and safe here in my home with my children rather than out in the elements hunting for our food and trying to keep us safe from any aggressive Native American tribes. H ...more
Ruth
This story is based on the true-life story of Marie Dorion, French-Canadian & Sioux woman who followed her interpreter husband Pierre on a journey to the great Northwest territories along with the Pacific Fur Company members. Following after Sacagawea's example, and even meeting her briefly during the trek, Madame Dorion experienced many adventures and hardships along the way. Much of the story is true, but of course the writing of the tale takes some fictional liberties with character devel ...more
Leona
I enjoyed this book, partly because there were random French words scattered about, but also just for the story: a woman who risked crossing the country - not too long after Lewis and Clark made their expedition - in order to keep her family together. Her family was herself, her husband, and their two boys. I also thought it was interesting how the expedition leaders came to see this as an advantage - it meant they were on a peaceful expedition, since warring expeditions would not have brought w ...more
Jerrianne Wallace
This book was right up my alley! Told from the perspective of a Native American wife of a fur trader/translator. Basically an extension of the story of Lewis & Clark, leaving Missouri and finding their way to the ocean. Everything is credible; I think Jane Kirkpatrick did a tremendous amount of research while writing this story!
Abigailann (Abigail)

An intense historical drama telling the tale of an independently minded woman and her family.

I wasn't immediately grabbed by this book, but as each chapter unfurled I became more and more engrossed with the intensity if feelings that ran through its pages. Marie is a complex character that I'm sure all women can identify with in one way or another, and her passion really helped me to engage with the unfolding events.

I learnt a lot about C19th America from this book, particularly relating to the
Tammy
Mar 12, 2014 Tammy rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historical fiction
3 1/2 stars
A woman's book
A native woman inner quest of self and her family during hardships while they explore the west to discover and set up trade at the onset of the war of 1812.
One thing I like about this book is it shows how many names a person has.
Might be considered Christian fiction too. I will be looking for the next book in the series.
Samantha
Based on a True Story (the Tender Ties Historical Series) Set during the fur-trapping era of the early 1800's. One woman struggles to keep her family together and alive.
With two rambunctious boys to raise, Maria Dorion refuses to be left behind in St. Louis when her husband heads west. Faced with hostile landscapes, an untried expedition leader, and her volatile husband, Marie finds that the daring act she hoped would bind her family together may in the end tear them apart... I love Jane Kirkpa
Nancy
I have loved other Jane Kirkpatrick books so looked forward to reading this. It was not gripping, but I did like Marie and her tale of hardship and heartache as she journeyed with her husband, children and a explorer party in the early 1800's. They follow roughly the same trail as Lewis and Clark but lack the foresight to prepare as well. Much of the story is about Marie's husband who when he drinks he violent and abusive. When troubles with both white men and indians occur, Marie must move forw ...more
Kareemah
Enjoyable story, but quite sow paced. Suggested for the patient, historically interested reader who isn't expecting a lot of fast paced action.
Hollis
This is the second book I've read by Jane Kirkpatrick and I've thoroughly enjoyed both of them. She calls these 'a true story, imagined' as they are based on real characters and real events, but she weaves a story that makes those characters come to life. This is the first in a series and I'm anxious to read more. Both of the books I've read (and I suspect most of hers) are about strong woman characters. This one is about an Ioway Indian woman who crosses the mountains multiple times with an Ast ...more
Kellie Shulruff
AMAZING!! Jane Kirkpatrick is awesome and her work is EXCELLENT!!
Could not put down these books!
Jaclynn
Marie refused to be left behind with her 2 small boys when her husband, Pierre was hired as a language guide and hunter for the expedition west to establish a trading company. The journey turns out to be nothing like she could have imagined, she suffers loss, heartache but also experiences the joy of meeting Sacagawea and seeing a new land. She truly earns her name- "a mother". This story is being called a true story imagined, based a real character in the early 1800's.
I might caution that Pierr
Karlen
Not my usual genre. I would have liked a little more fictionalizing/story.
Shanda Braithwaite
This was interesting in that it taught me about some of the challenges of the early settlers and the real relations with the indians. I found parts a bit dull, but I still would recommend it.
Kate
Super dense well researched book. Took me a while to read. Like a history textbook you must read every word to make sense of all of the true twists and turns.
Mary L.
I love historical novels. The growth of Marie was amazing and she certainly was a survivor. Towards the end I couldn't put the book down, it was as good as a mystery. (my favorite kind of read.)
Cathy
Enjoyed the history - imagining coming across the country during those times, thinking about the development of the Astoria area where my family has history. The plot was a bit slow but Marie's character was one to "root for" . . . . I'll eventually pick up the next in the series.
Kathy
Kirkpatrick wove a compelling story about Maria. The author used a unique blend of first and third person narration. I truly enjoyed the feminine perspective and the inner personal thoughts portrayed for the first mother who ventured west of the Rocky Mountains shortly after the Lewis and Clark Expedition. Enjoyable too was the interlacing of history, places and peoples of the areas traveled by Maria and her family. I highly recommend this novel for its historical perspective and, most important ...more
penelopewanders
Historical (as opposed to historical romance...) Interesting saga of the search for trade routes in the west. The main character is moving and very credible with her foibles, stubborness, strengths, right and wrong decisions... Likewise her husband, struggling with his sense of pride and masculinity and what he considers a woman's place. I found myself thinking back to certain scenes in Little Big Man, although presumably this is more accurate than most of what was portrayed there.
Sheila
Historical novel based on fact, set in the 1800's. A native woman, wife of a metis guide travels with her two small children on a historical journey across the U.S. Her husband has been employeed to guide a small group to the west coast. The book describes the hardships of the group as they travel through the different parts of the country. The woman's influence helps diffuse some situations as her presence shows the group's intent as travelling in peace, not as in war.
Michelle
Loved it. Learned a lot about early Oregon history. Will look for more from this author.
  • The Midwife's Legacy
  • Burning Sky
  • Soaring Eagle (Prairie Winds, #2)
  • These Tangled Threads (Bells of Lowell, #3)
  • Valley of Dreams (Wild West Wind #1)
  • The Curate of Glaston
  • The Stonewycke Trilogy (Stonewycke Trilogy #1-3)
  • The Gathering Storm (Zion Diaries, #1)
  • Though Waters Roar
  • Proof (The Great Awakenings #1)
  • Dana's Valley
  • The Allies (American Family Portrait #6)
  • Sarah's Quilt (Sarah Agnes Prine, #2)
  • A Perfect Love (Heavenly Daze #4)
  • By Force of Arms (Isaac Biddlecomb, #1)
  • A Bright Tomorrow (American Century, #1)
Kirkpatrick brings us a story of one woman's restoration from personal grief to the meaning of community."
More about Jane Kirkpatrick...
The Daughter's Walk All Together in One Place (Kinship and Courage Series, #1) No Eye Can See (Kinship and Courage Series #2) A Clearing in the Wild (Change and Cherish Historical #1) A Sweetness to the Soul (Dreamcatcher)