Start by marking “The Retrieval Artist” as Want to Read:
The Retrieval Artist

The Retrieval Artist (Retrieval Artist)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  92 ratings  ·  13 reviews
In a future where humans engage in galactic commerce with a multitude of unscrupulous aliens, Earth's mega-corporations are held to strict alien laws, and relatives of corporate executives are often abducted as cruel alien revenge for the slightest business infraction. The only chance for a target to hide … is to Disappear--erasure of all personal records, genetic alterati ...more
ebook
Published July 2001 by Fictionwise.com

To ask other readers questions about The Retrieval Artist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Retrieval Artist

Mimi
Apr 30, 2015 Mimi rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of hardboiled sci-fi
Recommended to Mimi by: list of past Hugo Award nominees
If Hammett and Chandler were to dabble in sci-fi, the result would look something like this novella.

Miles Flint is a retrieval artist and his job is to locate the Disappeared, people who have gone into hiding and whose former existence hasbeen permanently erasedfrom all databases. Flint tracks them down foran exorbitant feebecausehe's very good at his job. But he isn't without scruples. Sometimes certain people need to stay disappeared. There's lots of reasons why someone wouldwant to disappear
Staticblaq
"The short novel that started the entire Retrieval Artist series".

"One of the top ten science fiction detective series ever."

High praise indeed.

Tech Noir: Once more into the breach!

This short story starts out in the crummy office a private detective who is shortly visited by an attractive femme fatale and - Oh Dear God, I'm back in noir hell!!

This is why terms like derivative and unimaginative are used by reviewers.

Our private detective narrator explains that this is for appearances only, howeve
Roger
SUMMARY: In the future, a lot of people want to disappear, apparently because by treaty if you violate an alien races customs you are subject to their laws. Think of it as witness protection ran by private companies.

For a lot of money, if he happens to be interested in your case and if it fits into his ethics, Miles Flint, the main character, will find the person who has disappeared for you. This short story is about a young woman who is asking Miles to find her mother and sister. Is she being h
Lindsay Boitnott
Ok, so I could not get a good synopsis of The Retrieval Artist, so I will supply a short one.

Miles Flint is the best in his field and it has allowed him a life of luxury in the Armstrong Moon Colony. It also allows him the right to be picky about the cases he takes. He has no intention on helping the beautiful brunette find her mother but he soon finds himself searching for one more of the Disappeared.

Brief, but this is a rather short novel and I have no skills when it comes to writing synopsize
BobA707
Summary: Interesting short story set in a complicated universe with strange aliens colonised planets. Good story

Plotline: Relatively simple but lies within lies ... all good stuff

Premise: Many complex relationships with alien species.

Writing: Simple but descriptive and very engaging

Ending: Satisfying

Pace: Never a dull moment
Lois Clark-Johnston
My husband is reading this series and so I am rereading some of the early books with him. I'm not sure if I actually read this novella before or not. I assume this was the first Miles Flint story? I honestly don't remember. I like this story short but kind of typical Miles Flint style.
Glen U
This was a very good short novel and the start of Rusch's retrieval artist series. The copy I had also included short stories from Kristine Kathryn Rusch and was surprisingly good. Rusch's writings consist of both SF and fantasy. Her stories are amazingly creative and always original.
Cynthia Armistead
Apparently the beginning of the Retrieval Artist series, which I've been meaning to check out for some time now. The premise on which the series is based - that humans are doing business with other races, some of which have business practices that can drive humans to need to disappear to an extent never known before - is, well, interesting. I'm not sure that any other race would be quite as cruel to humans as we are to each other, honestly, and I've seen humans give each other more than enough r ...more
Kanhaiya
A unique futuristic SciFi world. Have to make up my mind though of continuing with the series.
Noel
The novel that started it all. There is quite a bit of evolution in the character of Miles Flint from this to the series we know and love, but it's still excellent and lays a great groundwork.
James
A cleverly written short novel, a sequel of sorts to The Disappeared. Now to the series proper...
Don
A novella. It reads like classic science fiction. Great fun.
Andrea
An intriguing, but grim story.
Esther
Esther marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
A
A marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Lara
Lara marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Leanna Kowallis
Leanna Kowallis marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Cary Morton
Cary Morton marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Ester
Ester added it
Apr 25, 2015
Alice
Alice marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Ida
Ida marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Kristine Kathryn Rusch is an award-winning mystery, romance, science fiction, and fantasy writer. She has written many novels under various names, including Kristine Grayson for romance, and Kris Nelscott for mystery. Her novels have made the bestseller lists –even in London– and have been published in 14 countries and 13 different languages.

Her awards range from the Ellery Queen Readers Choice Aw
More about Kristine Kathryn Rusch...

Retrieval Artist (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • The Disappeared (Retrieval Artist, #1)
  • Extremes (Retrieval Artist, #2)
  • Consequences (Retrieval Artist, #3)
  • Buried Deep (Retrieval Artist, #4)
  • Paloma (Retrieval Artist, #5)
  • Recovery Man (Retrieval Artist, #6)
  • Duplicate Effort (Retrieval Artist, #7)
  • Anniversary Day (Retrieval Artist, #8)
  • Blowback (Retrieval Artist, #9)
  • A Murder of Clones (Retrieval Artist, #10)
The New Rebellion (Star Wars) The Disappeared (Retrieval Artist, #1) X-Men Diving into the Wreck (Diving Universe, #1) Extremes (Retrieval Artist, #2)