Life on the Other Side: A Psychic's Tour of the Afterlife

Life on the Other Side: A Psychic's Tour of the Afterlife

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  1,535 ratings  ·  105 reviews
July 2000

A Look at the Afterlife

Sylvia Browne has been a practicing psychic for nearly 50 years and is well known to many through her television appearances on The Montel Williams Show, Sally Jessy Raphaël, Larry King Live, Unsolved Mysteries, CNN, and Entertainment Tonight. Her two previous books, The Other Side and Back and Adventures of a Psychic, both of which deal wit

Published July 1st 2001 by Penguin Group (USA) (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Life on the Other Side, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life on the Other Side

Leslie
Jan 02, 2008 Leslie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone needing a spiritual refresher
I read this book during the last few months of my father's life (he died of cancer). I have to say that although I don't agree with ALL of her views, this book helped me TREMENDOUSLY during a time when I might have given up on faith completely. She helped me to not fear my father's impending death, but to embrace it as just another phase of life. I knew that his journey beyond this earth would be a pleasant one, but the imagery Sylvia presents helped me to really envision my father living happil...more
Karolyn Sherwood
In the interest of anyone who's not open to what psychics have to say, let me just cut to the chase:

Five Stars to Life on the Other Side.

For those of you with more curiosity... This book blew me away. A tiny bit of backstory: I had never heard of Sylvia Browne until last week, had never seen her on the Montel Williams Show, nor ever heard of her "theories," but I have long believed that certain people come into your life at a certain time for a reason that's not usually understood until you've...more
Joel
Being very interested in the subject of life after death I read this book with an open mind, and found I needed it from the beginning. The author's description of life on the other side seemed quite strange and did not seem to line up with my personal beliefs or with other near death experiences I'd read about. But I gave her the benefit of the doubt because I believed she was honestly describing what she experienced. However, eventually my patience wore thin.

There were some positive aspects of...more
Nanette
This book actually changed my life, and I've passed it on to two dozen people. If anyone has questions about the life after life, this book is a must-read. I have no fear of death (because it doesn't exist.)
Mansi Trivedi
Started reading this book with much enthusiasm to know about the "life on the other side", just to feel disappointed with the content and the presentation of it. The "facts" given in the book is a very mediocre and any one with extensive reading on the subject would know it.One doesnt need a psychic to tell u these simple facts.. It is more like an autobiography of how she sees the spirits and ghosts, rather than an effort to share some information with the world.For example,even a simple phenom...more
Robin
L just love her writing anyone that has a strong belief in the spiritual world and how it connected to us and its waht we encounter after the afterlife this is our time its our new age I even did a book about vibratory fields and how our mind and body works its my Bio One Single Thought thats all it take it just like her writing she will definitely lave you thinking shes such a great writer so many facets in this book how things were created now and waht we endeavor after it gets you thinking wh...more
Brian Davies
This is a truly compelling story of accounts from the- beyond or afterlife. The accounts question and contradict many of our religious conventions about heaven and hell. I have no problem approaching accounts of the afterlife with a truly open mind, after-all, there can never be any true eye witness accounts, therefor a high degree of subjectivity exists. We have, however, drip fed information through mediums, and this book truly gives an inspiring and uplifting account of what we may have to lo...more
Shelly
Sylvia Browne is a psychic who claims to know what is it like in the afterlife or on the Other Side. Heaven I suppose.

First of all she claims that we are the ones who chart our lives on Earth. Everything from who our family will be and everything that ever happens to us. We have been to Heaven and back to Earth in the form of reincarnation many times and when we go to Heaven we will remember every life we ever lived. And each life has a purpose. Most interesting to me is her vision of what Heav...more
Satriyo
Sylvia Brown has a unique experience of the life 'beyond' as she has experienced herself, being a psychic, but surely it is just her version of it. She has no way of really knowing what it was, or is she is really experiencing. Quite captivating.
Joleen
You need to have an open mind when reading Browne's books. Don't criticize it if you've never read it. While some notions seem a bit far-fetched, she does make a lot of sense about a lot of things we cannot answer.
Kara
Jun 20, 2009 Kara rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in life after death
Recommended to Kara by: no one
now i know what to expect on the other side when i die. sounds way better than here so i can't wait for my trip home. checked this out @ the library one rainy day and liked it so much i bought myself my own copy.
Angela
Started off really good and then just got silly!!
Christine
Although I agree with Sylvia in many ways I find her description of the after life to not match mine... but in many ways it's similar, so I can forgive some decorating differences.

My big issue with Sylvia is that she brushes off the idea of soul mates as completely ridiculous. While I agree, if on the other side you know thousands and if in those thousands there are a few "soul mates"...as she says the likely hood of your running into them here completely randomly AS your romantic partner might...more
Pam
Apr 17, 2013 Pam rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Pam by: Audible Sale
Shelves: 2013, audible, non-fiction
I'm usually not one to read this type of book, but when audible had it on their sale list and I was desperate for something to listen to, I decided to give it a try. Full disclosure, I am very skeptical of psychics/mediums, etc, but I do find some of the stories of communicating with the dead to be fascinating, so I thought this book might be entertaining. The beginning of the book was rather interesting. The author begins by explaining how she has always been able to see spirits and that she ha...more
Sehra
I really did enjoy this book, she does make heaven seem for real. The reviews I have seen about her being a fake does make me not want to read anymore of novels. Otherwise this book was very interesting and it only took me 3 days to finish because, it draws you in when you are curious if Heaven is for real.
Penelope Mascardi
Secondo la scrittrice Sylvia Browne, l’Aldilà si trova più vicino di quanto pensiamo ed e’ composto da un pianeta molto simile al nostro che si suddivide in sette continenti: in più abbiamo Atlantide e Lemuria. Ogni continente è suddiviso in quattro quadranti.

Nel momento in cui moriamo, arriviamo in uno dei quadranti che corrisponde alla costa occidentale dell’America del nord: arriveremmo sempre li’ qualsiasi sia il nostro luogo di morte.
In questo posto verranno ad accoglierci angeli, spiriti g...more
Chris
Overall it was an interesting book. I really just read it because Wendy kind of made me read it. It paints a fairly idealistic portrayal of what heaven could be like and it would be great if that's what really happens after you die. It's kind of hard to believe that everything in the book is true though. I would mostly recommend it as entertainment value, although I did like that the book suggests that reincarnation is true. The Goodreads description of the book is quite accurate, so I'd recomme...more
Molly Ryback
I truly love all of Sylvia Browne's books and this one was no exception. I loved hearing about what maybe happening with my loved one on the other side.
Nichola Wojcik
This book brought me comfort when I lost my uncle whom was like a father to me. I really hope everyone can open there mind to a book like this. If your trying to understand life, this may help. Also remember she explains clearly, take what you like and leave the rest. Some people's minds seem so clouded in negativity that it may not be possible for people to really enjoy.... Hopefully people can be open about her idea of the afterlife and to be honest look at the point she makes about religion....more
Shannon F
One of my all time favourite books!! A must read!!
Zoe
I've had an obsession with psychics and the afterlife since I was 12 or so, and I used to watch Sylvia Browne on a weekday morning TV show in the Bay Area called "People Are Talking". She's co-written dozens of books since then and is now a regular on Montel Williams. I don't like her as much as I used to... I don't so much think she's a hack as that she's too pop culture for her message to come across in any meaningful way. But I love it when the philosophies I read in disparate sources coincid...more
Carey Gibbons
I don't know if any of this is true. A lot of it resonated and some of it seemed hokey. But if Sylvia Browne is a fraud, she's an excellent world builder. My step mother asked me to read this book, and what matters most is that it has given us both great comfort in dealing with the loss of my father this past week. I'm not about to become a new age zealot, but this book has taught me to think twice about how I treat others who are still with us and how I think of those who have moved on.
Valenfore Alestreneon
A good example of a really bad book on the subject. This is the first and only Sylvia Browne book I've ever read, and ever since then, I've been allergic. If you want real Magik, Psychic Powers and Occultism, refer to the works of Christopher S. Hyatt, S. Jason Black, Joseph C. Lisiewski, Raven Grimassi, Phil Hine, Oberon Zell-Ravenheart, Kerr Cuhulain and other REAL practicioners not this flake. Reinvest your money into a lifetime membership at Witchschool. I think it's like, 20 or 30 bucks.
This is the book that will get you thinking and talking. Unlike your typical ghost story's of visits to us on this plane, here Browne gives us her impressions of what the Other Side looks like. I personally find the concept of a Library on the Other Side fascinating as is her notion that we all sign a contract before coming to Earth so really we're all responsible and aware of what will happen to us here. The message: Don't complain :)
Kristine
I think this was my favorite out of the 3 that I've read by Sylvia Browne.

It touched on some details already mentioned in the previous book, but also went into great detail about life on the other side. If the very idea of the Scanning Machine isn't enough to make a person re-think their possible actions, I don't know what would!

Enjoying all things mystical, spiritual, metaphysical, etc. I could relate to this book very much.
Katie
Dec 03, 2008 Katie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Katie by: My Aunt Sandra
As Sylvia says in the beginning of her books "Take what you want and need from this and leave the rest." It is humble advice, and if you can do as asked this book can become extremely helpful during hard times. It can solidify your beliefs, help shape them if you don't have them, erase your doubts, or answer you're questions. Regardless, if you've lost someone close to you, this book can provide comfort in one way or another.
Kelly Hulslander
I love the fact that Sylvia does not want you to just take what she says and that is that. she tells us to take what you want and leave the rest. though i am not Cristian I have integrated some of her experiences as a psychic into my Pagan life and, for me, it seems to work. No matter your path, gaining a real understanding of what this life is for and what awaits us when we return home is such a relief. If you only believe.
Bebe Burnside
If you have ever wondered what life on the other side is like and feel that some of the religious jargon is just too vague...Sylvia Browne walks you through exactly happens from the moment you breath your last. Including theories of life on the other side, angels, why we are born and have the lives we lead. Even if you don't believe all that Sylvia says, it as good an explanation as I have heard.
Kara
Let's just say she failed to convince me. The gates of heaven are in Northern California? She describes heaven as a continuous round of parties, dances & balls, lectures, concerts, exhibits - where you will never be alone and to be with someone just think yourself to where they are and voila your're there. Then she tries to tell us that her secondary basic personality theme is one of a loner?
Monica
This is an interesting book to read. Even if you do not believe what the author has to say, she offers a new perspective and challenges you to think in different ways and research what you don't understand. I like that she shares her experiences and knowledge for the purpose of informing, rather than attempting to gain followers/believers.
  • One Last Time
  • Angel Numbers
  • Animal Spirit Guides: An Easy-to-Use Handbook for Identifying and Understanding Your Power Animals and Animal Spirit Helpers
  • Ask Your Guides: Connecting to Your Divine Support System
  • Saved by the Light: The True Story of a Man Who Died Twice and the Profound Revelations He Received
  • Animal-Wise: The Spirit Language and Signs of Nature
  • Talking to Heaven: A Medium's Message of Life After Death
  • Embraced By The Light
Sylvia Browne is a number one New York Times–bestselling author and world-famous psychic. She has appeared regularly on The Montel Williams Show and Larry King Live and has made countless other media and public appearances. She is also the founder of a church, the Society of Novus Spiritus, which will celebrate its twenty-fifth anniversary in 2011.
More about Sylvia Browne...
The Other Side and Back Past Lives, Future Healing Secrets & Mysteries of the World Adventures of a Psychic: The Fascinating and Inspiring True-Life Story of One of America's Most Successful Clairvoyants Visits from the Afterlife: The Truth About Hauntings, Spirits, and Reunions with Lost Loved Ones

“Death is the reward for living” 25 likes