Start by marking “Deadline” as Want to Read:
Deadline

Deadline

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  543 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews

Life is quickly turning from bad to worse for newspaper reporter Dallas Dixon. It all begins when Dallas's job at the El Paso Chronicle is inexplicably terminated by his formerly admiring boss, Andy Norton. However, a bad day turns into a nightmare when, while heading to San Antonio to make a fresh start, Dallas is shocked by the news of Norton's murderand even more shocke

Published May 3rd 2010 by Covenant Communications, Inc. (first published April 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Deadline, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deadline

LAWonder10
Apr 08, 2014 LAWonder10 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dallas was ecstatic when he was hired directly out of Grad School by the El Paso Chronicle as a journalist. He didn't much care for one of his co-workers but Heather was a good journalist and had been very helpful and pleasant. His boss was a great Chief Editor until something went terribly wrong. Dallas had nobody to turn to that he trusted except for Heather and the man who persuaded him years ago to become a journalist - Mike.

This is a fast-paced mystery/suspense story of deceit, blackmail, c
Kathryn
May 03, 2010 Kathryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gail
Sep 30, 2013 Gail rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really like the writing style of Clair M. Poulson - this is the 1st book I have read written by him. He has over 20 years of law enforcement service in UT and uses those past experiences for the topics of his books. It is a murder mystery but what I liked the most is that every time I thought I had it solved he would add another "missing piece" to the puzzle that would change my suspect. I had a pretty good hunch who "dun" it in the last couple of chapters but you were still left with wonderin ...more
Judi
Oct 07, 2010 Judi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad little mystery. My friend loaned it to me and it was purchased in the LDS Bookstore, so there is no smut! Dallas Dixon is a reporter for the El Paso Chronicle and is inexplicably terminated by his boss, Andy Norton. Thats where the nightmare starts. Dallas is accused of murdering Andy, drug trafficking and more...he is on the run and with the help of his "girl", his recently found father, and another reporter, he is trying to prove his innocense. They are all dodging being murdered the ...more
Valerie
Oct 30, 2014 Valerie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun and exciting, with a little romance thrown in!
Mandy anderson
LDS author so clean quick mystery a couple times a little unbelievable but good overall
Patricia
Jan 13, 2014 Patricia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating 3.5
This was a story about two newspaper reporters and all the trouble that was swirling around them. Some time has passed since I read this and other than remembering I liked the story, I cannot be much more specific. Sorry.
Jon Williams
I thought this book was put together very nicley. The plot had some really cool twists and turns and kept me turning pages. The thing I liked most about this book was how acurate the author was in explaining spacific details. I also liked the mobsters that are mentioned in the story, they made the book a bit more fun to read. I would recomend this book to some of my friends who are interested in a mobsters and mormons twist.
Kerstin Marie
Good story. Not my favorite by this author.
Kristen
May 05, 2010 Kristen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have never liked Clair Poulson and I only read this one because I needed another book in order to get a free one at work. Dallas Dixon is a reporter who gets caught up in a drug smuggling case with the police and is accused of murdering his boss. On the run and with the help of a beautiful fellow reporter, Dixon must clear his name and bring the bad guys down. Yada-yada-yada.
Shayne
May 09, 2011 Shayne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was another page turner of Clair's. There has only been one book he has written that I didn't care for. Everything else has been fabulous. This also falls into that category. He insight into people and situations always carries through and makes his books fun, captivating, entertaining reads. This is definitely one I would suggest. Go on! Go get it now!
Joseph
Jan 11, 2011 Joseph rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A surprisingly taut (if a little overly simple) journalism thriller. The Audio version makes for good road trip listening. The characters are well developed and aren't forced by the author to stray too far out of their character for plot convenience. In the end, if you like mediocre Mormon fiction, this one outshines the majority.
John
Nov 21, 2010 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have long been a fan of Clair Poulson, and have read pretty much all of his adult fiction. This is my favorite book of his! It was very engaging, suspenseful, and believable. I usually enjoy taking my time with a book, but this one kept me up several hours later than usual because I couldn't put it down until I was done!!!
Feb 02, 2013 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookclub
The best part of this book is that throughout the whole book I thought Clair M. Poulson was a woman, then I finish the book and see this old man bishop type. HA!

Otherwise it was a quick entertaining read, not highly unpredictable, but felt like watching a murder mystery show on TV but with them praying :-)
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
I really would give this book 3.5 stars if I could. It was a good read, exciting. All's well that ends well. :) I once thought, way back when, that I would like to be a reporter. I'm glad I didn't go that route after reading this book! Who knew it could be so dangerous.
Alex
Apr 15, 2010 Alex rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-gull
so much better than his last one!
dallas dixon has just been fired from his job as a journalist, and to make matters worse, his boss was been found murdered outside of his home that same day. dallas had motive, and soon realizes that he has become the number one suspect.
Tiffany
Jun 28, 2010 Tiffany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of those books that you just can't put down. It never got boring and it kept me guessing as to how this guy was going to get away from the people who wanted to kill him. I kept thinking that I knew who was in charge, but I kept getting it wrong. Very exciting.
Rachelle
Dec 01, 2010 Rachelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Poulson has written another satisfying suspense novel in Deadline. His background in law enforcement lends to realistic episodes throughout the novel and I was kept guessing as to whodunit. The motive for murder was a bit thin for me, so that's why I rated it 4 stars.
Alyson
Dec 29, 2010 Alyson rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, mystery
This book had enough mystery and adventure to keep me guessing and to keep my interest. I really liked it. That said, I was disappointed with the romance- there just wasn't enough detail, and I felt the conclusion was a little weak. Still enjoyable.
Amanda Caswell
While I enjoyed the story of a reporter framed for his boss' murder, there were too many coincidences to make this story real for me--even for Christian fiction where everything seemingly coincidental can be attributed to God's plan.
Donna
Apr 25, 2011 Donna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
O.K., 3 stars is rather generous. It is not well-written, the characters are quite stereotypical, and the romance was cheesy. But the plot--despite several holes--kept me going. And because it is LDS fiction, of course it is clean.
Debbie
Oct 22, 2010 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very good book. It was very hard to stop reading the book so that I could go to sleep. There were a lot of twists in this book. My daughter is reading it now. Clair Poulson is a very good author.
Liz
Oct 25, 2011 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This book was more gripping than the first novel I read by this author. However, I gave it a lower rating because he left quite a few unanswered questions at the end and this bothered me! Still an interesting read.
Karen
Sep 08, 2011 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Karen by: Jody
I really am enjoying this author. He is an LDS author, and the theme runs in his books, but not so much as to take them over. He is realistic and believable. I will read more of his when I find them...
Krista
Oct 06, 2011 Krista rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This one was ok. I easily figured out who the killer was. And I thought the last line of the book (before the epilogue) was super cheesy. Still a fan of his books, but this one was not my favorite.
Kristen
Nov 05, 2010 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book more towards the end than the beginning; it took just a little longer to get into it than I normally like. But, like all Clair Poulson books, it turned out to be a good story.
Karen Mcdonald
Jun 11, 2010 Karen Mcdonald rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How can someone get into so much trouble? Dallas is a suspect in his boss' murder and a drug scandal. He's on the run and can't trust anyone from the El Paso Chronicle. Excellent read!
Ann Marie
Really quite a page turner. I like his books. They keep talking about a theory and don't tell us how they got it and I want to know that but oh well. A nice romance also.
Michele
Nov 09, 2011 Michele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick, quick read. I was pretty clear on the ending by halfway through, but I still enjoyed it. I like these fast read books. They give me a break for a few hours.
June Guymon
A good book that has a plot with some really surprising twists and turns. At points i didn't want to put it down particularly towards the end. Mainly for LDS readers.
  • Murder by Design (Kennedy Killingsworth, #2)
  • Crossfire (Saint Squad, #3)
  • Shudder
  • Pursued (Maggie McKenzie Mystery, #2)
  • Do No Harm
  • Fool Me Twice
1986241
Clair M. Poulson was born and raised in Duchesne, Utah. His father was a rancher and farmer, his mother a librarian. Clair has always been an avid reader, having found his love for books as a very young boy.

He has served for forty years in the criminal justice system. Twenty years were spent in law enforcement, ending his police career with eight years as the Duchesne County Sheriff. For the past
More about Clair M. Poulson...