Blank-133x176
The Age of Chivalry

Thomas Bulfinch

The Age of Chivalry

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  592 ratings  ·  10 reviews
This masterpiece of history and fable recounts the timeless tales of Arthur and the Round Table, and discusses the historical events and the worldview of the civilization that created them.
Mass Market Paperback
Published by Peter Smith Publisher (first published 1858)

Courtney

9) The Adventure of the Cart
10) The Lady of Shalott
11) Queen Guenever's Peril
12) Tristram and Isoude
13) Tristram and Isoude (continued)
14) Sir Tristram's Battle with Sir Lancelot
15) The Round Table
16) Sir Palamedes
17) Sir Tristram
18) Perceval
19) The Sangreal, or Ho...more
Ensiform
This edition included a third section on "The Knights of English History" by Edward Everett Hale, added 17 years after Bullfinch's death. There was also a short into by Beryl Rowland. The two parts by Bullfinch were about King Arthur and his men, Tristam and Isolde and the quest for the Holy Grail (or Sangreal); and tales from the Mabinogeon, "tales" in Welsh.

I found the latter section to be the most fascinating, because the characters within were so human and humorous. The tale of Owain's roman...more
Jake
Ok, to be fair i am not much of a King Arthur type of guy so maybe this book wasn't for me to begin with, but with that said, I found the writing boring, the stories a little hard to follow, and the magic of the the legend not even there. I did learn a few things about King Arthur and the Round Table but wasn't much impressed with Bulfinch's description of it. I know this book is a holy grail (pun intended) to chivalry lovers but i don't think this book is for much anybody else.
Kellylynn
Took me a long time to read this. The first section was rough with all of the battles. But I rather enjoyed reading about Charlemagne. Most of those stories were not like I expected them to be.

Also the stories of Robin Hood were rather raw and completely full of battles, more so than expected.
Heather
I didn't finish reading it--it's too dry. It's a good reference book and it could be helpful if you needed to brush up on any Arthurian stories, but it's just so boring that it doesn't matter how many times you re-read a passage, you can be sure to fall asleep.
Jackie
Dry, no excitement. Not a big fan of Bullfinch. However, it is concise and gives the information on the myths.
Depending on what you are looking for, an interesting read or information, will determine whether or not you like it.
Danielle
interesting, although a bit crusty at times. i couldn't keep track of who was doing what, as various persons were presented in something of a blur. but i like reading on knights and chivalry and machismo.
Mike (the Paladin)
Again, not the edition I have.

Good read. Nice introduction to the ledgends of Arthur and the age of chivalry. Especially for young readers this is good.
Julie Unruh
It gives you theories, myth's, or the truth, what ever you believe. Got great names from that book for the character's in my stories.
Tana
Enjoying this because it is bringing me "up to speed" on English mythology and such. My eyes are being opened. :)
Monique
Monique marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Meg
Meg marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Bryan Lindsey
Bryan Lindsey marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
adfadfadf Mayer
adfadfadf Mayer marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Joseph
Joseph marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Katelin
Katelin marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Shane Carroll
Shane Carroll marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Janessa
Janessa marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Dora Podkovyroff-lewis
Dora Podkovyroff-lewis marked it as to-read
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Lucy Black
Lucy Black marked it as to-read
Lantz
Lantz marked it as to-read
Thomas Sherman
Thomas Sherman marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Zane
Zane marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Paula Rothman
Paula Rothman marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
  • Rudyard Kipling's Tales of Horror and Fantasy
  • Hrafnkel's Saga and Other Icelandic Stories
  • Stories For Christmas
  • The Vinland Sagas: The Norse Discovery of America
  • Wasps (Clarendon Paperbacks)
  • Small Avalanches and Other Stories
  • A Tale of a Tub and Other Works
  • Ion
Bulfinch's Mythology The Age of Fable Bulfinch's Mythology: The Age of Chivalry/Legends of Charlemagne O Livro de Ouro da Mitologia - Histórias de Deuses e Heróis Golden Age of Myth & Legend (Wordsworth Reference)