Start by marking “Kelly's Chance” as Want to Read:
Kelly's Chance

Kelly's Chance (Brides of Lehigh Canal #1)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  500 ratings  ·  65 reviews

Life for Kelly McGregor is a daily drudge of driving her overbearing father’s mules along Pennsylvania’s Lehigh Canal. She dreams of one day owning an art gallery where her own drawings and paintings are on display. But these dreams don’t include marriage. . .not after seeing what her father has done to her mother. How then can Mike Cooper, a general store owner, make her

Published March 1st 2010 by Barbour Publishing, Incorporated (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Kelly's Chance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kelly's Chance

Nancy Steinle gummel
Kelly's Chance by Wanda E Brunstetter was a free book given to me for my honest opinion. Ms. Brunstetter writes her books with a religious or Godly tone. A lot of her books have been about the Amish. This book comes from the historical fiction genre. It's very well written. Her character depiction is excellent.. This book starts with Kelly, an aspiring artist, walking the mules along the Lehigh Canal. The mules pull the boat along the canal, picking up coal at one end and delivering it at Wastin ...more
Brenda
Elise
I won this, so 'yay' for that.

Honestly though, I didn't really enjoy it all that much though... Sorry! but it was sorta boring...

EDIT: Re-read it. Here's the skinny on why I didn't think much of this book:

The author did the whole "told, not shown" bit. I was TOLD Kelly and Mike liked each other. I was TOLD that her dad was mean and didn't think much of her painting. I was TOLD of the 'annoyingness' of that other girl. I wasn't SHOWN anything. There was not enough description, I think. Fleshing
Nanci Konsavage
This book was very slow and predictable. The reading level would be for a 7th or 8th grader, took me a day to read. Did not like any of the characters. Description of Lehigh Canal was good.
Lewestover
Although the story line was interesting, I was disappointed in the character development in this book. I guess I had expected more from an author as well known as Wanda Brunstetter. The heroine went too fast from "man/marriage hating" to "yes, I will marry you". The book is not bad -- it just didn't have the depth I like.
Kara
I won this book on good reads. What can I say? It was ok. So very predictable on the outcome. Reading level is for a much younger reader. i will recommend it for my 9th grade daughter. Feels like a made for tv movie for the Christian network channel. I read this in 3 hours.
Kelli (I'd So Rather Be Reading)
I like to mix up my paranormal, YA, mystery, and historical fiction books with some Christian fiction from time to time. When I saw Kelly's Chance on NetGalley, I thought it sounded like the perfect foil for my heavier reads of late. I was right.

Kelly's Chance was the epitome of Christian romance: an unassuming heroine, a young man in search of a Christian wife, and their journey from casual acquaintances to something more. The feelings between the two were tender and well-described. This book
Diane
Great short love story. I enjoy the fact that it is a Christian romance. It isn't very enthralling--where I couldn't put the book down--and I knew the characters would end up together; however, it was a nice journey seeing how they grew to love each other and how they relied on the Lord to bring to pass His will.

Quotes I enjoyed:

p. 176 where Mike was reading Hebrews 10:35-36: "Cast not away...your confidence, which hath great recompense of reward. For ye have need of patience, that, after ye hav
ReviewsByMolly
When I think of Wanda Brunstetter, I think Amish novels. But this one is not Amish, and even though I love the Amish novels that Wanda writes, this one was excellent! It is a wonderful historical novel about life in Pennsylvania and the struggles with living on the canal in the 1890's.

It is a relaxing and enjoyable story and I didn't want to put the book down. Reading the story of Kelly and her will-power to leave the poor and difficult childhood she had behind and of the man who falls in love
Jodie
Kelly's Chance is the first in the Brides of Lehigh Canal Series by Wanda E. Brunstetter. The book is set in the late 1800's and based on the life of a girl who works on the canal for her father. Kelly is expected to do the work of two people and is not paid anything for her time. Her father has a short temper, especially after Kelly's sister, Sarah, took off to get married. Kelly promises herself that she will not get married because she sees her mom and dad in a working relationship, not a tru ...more
Camille
Kelly's Chance is the first book in the Brides of Lehigh Canal series, and the first book I've read by Wanda E. Brunstetter.

I have to admit, this wasn't my favorite book ever. I'm really into this general genre, but this book did not really speak to me very much. It's almost hard to put into words exactly what I didn't enjoy about this book. I found it slow-going, hard to get into and I really didn't feel much connection with the characters or care much if they ended up together or not. I think
Deborah
Seventeen Kelly McGregor walks her father's mules along the Lehigh Canal in Pennsylvania. Doomed to the poor life of a canaler's daughter, she dreams of the day she can paint with real colors and have her own art shop. Not interested in marriage as a way out like her sister in fear she will have the same fate, she is trapped working for her father with no pay in return.

Mike Cooper owns a a general store along the canal, and he is looking for a wife. Praying that God will provide him the desire o
Rachel Brand
Wanda E. Brunstetter is a very popular author in the Christian market, particularly when it comes to Amish and historical fiction, but I'm afraid I just don't see the appeal. This is the third book of hers that I've read and I must be missing something because I simply find her plots predictable and her characters one-dimensional. I feel like I'm being cruel, but there was very little that pulled me into this story and made me want to keep reading. I enjoyed learning about the canal and Kelly's ...more
Dawn
May 29, 2014 Dawn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys historical period books.
Recommended to Dawn by: I am interested in life on the canal.
I loved this first book in the Brides of Lehigh Canal series. My paternal family had a life on the canal. My grandfather was a captain of his own boat & he started as young boy as the mule driver on his brother-in-law's boat. Also, my aunt was born on my grandfather's boat when the family lived on the boat during hard times. I grew up near the canal, so it was always a part of my life. Even though I remember some of the canal stories my grandfather used to tell me, I was nine when he passed ...more
Carolyn
Interesting story of canal life during the 1890's. Years ago my family took the canal boat ride in Coshoctan, Ohio. Having done that helped me visualize what life was like for the family in the book.

Itwas a hard life and Kelly has no hope of anything different in her future. But, Kelly is a beautiful artist and the young shop owner along the canal falls in love with Kelly. He is sure her art work is good enough to sell and offers to display her work in his shop. Kelly is attracted to Mike but h
Rupine
Only God can change people..My favourite quote. Kelly refuses to stick to traditional ways of life & wishes more than anything that her pa was more human. At just 17 she feels like she has the world on her shoulders carrying on the chores of at least two men all by herself tending to the family mules yet being not paid a dime by her dad. She dreams of a life beyond the canal, a life of hope , love & most of all freedom. Mike Cooper the nearby shopkeeper is her key to this life. A young m ...more
Mary Reed
Wonderful story. My late father-in-law was a Canal boat captain for the Lehigh Navigation System, I use to love hearing the stories about his days on the canal. My late husband's oldest brother use to lead the mules and his oldest sister and another brother were born on the canal boat.
Angie
This was a good book to list to on audio. It was interesting and made me feel like I was there at the canals. Through enjoyed and would recommend to Christians and anyone that likes good clean reads!
Mary
I won this on Goodreads and can't wait to read it! I was especially excited to hear about it because I grew up in an area near the Lehigh Canal, so the history in this book will be meaningful for me.

ETA: I read this entire book in a couple of hours today and found it very enjoyable. The characters were very likable, and the historical background was very interesting. In a way, it had a bit of a Little House on the Prairie feeling to me, even though it is not a children's book and it does not tak
Strawberryblonde
I loved this simple story, the characters, and the way God was brought into it! Kelly reminded me of myself in a lot of ways. I cannot wait to read the second book to this series!
Latisha
It was ok. I found the historical context interesting, but the story had me rolling my eyes a few times. A pleasant read with a good message, but very predictable.
Karen
Absolutely a great read.
Karen
Good book. A couple of parts dragged on but all in all it was a very good read.
Malia
I was a bit disappointed when I found that most of Brunstetter's books are classified as "romance" at the library... but I really enjoyed her writing style in Half-Stitched Amish Quilting Club so I wanted to read more of her books. I had always thought that the romance genre was all corny, racy and nasty... but I decided to give this a go. I'm so glad that I did! No over-the-top drama (one thing I love about Brunstetter) and nothing raunchy... just true Christian romance :)
Cheryl
I enjoyed Kelly's Chance. It was a quick and sweet love story evolving over time. I enjoyed the setting and it was very visual where you could picture her working the river. I enjoy books that take you back in time. I thought the book would have been fine without the religious element but I understand that is the author's genre and it was over the top or preachy. Just a nice read for the weekend. 3 1/2 starts
Cassandra
Where was the plot? I feel like the author was completely focused on her characters and forgot to include a plot. The character development wasn't satisfying. Did either of the main characters have a flaw? Mike tries to rush Kelly's feelings. Is that a flaw? Kelly assumes all men are like her father: overbearing and selfish. Is that really a flaw? At least there was no cheesy conversion scene...
Judy
This is a light, inspirational read set in Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania in the spring of 1891. Seventeen-year-old Kelly McGregor is nothing more than a slave for her father who transports coal by boat up and down the Lehigh Canal. Along the way, she meets storekeeper Mike Cooper who encourages to pursue her interest in art, but he also develops an interest in Kelly.
Kristina
I had planned on reading all three books in this series. But I just can't do it. I like Wanda Brunstetter's books, but this series is definitely not her best. But what I learned about the Lehigh Canal system was fascinating (thus the 3 star rating). In fact it has intrigued me enough that I have added the National Canal Museum as a place to visit with B in the near future.
Holly
This is a book that I won on "First Reads." I think that it is more fit for a teenage audience. I found it to be a little cheesy at times. However, I did find it interesting reading about life along the Lehigh Canal in Pennsylvania in the late 1800s...especially Kelly's job to drive her father's mules as they pull the boatloads of coal to various cities.
☮Karen
Feb 06, 2010 ☮Karen rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teenagers, old ladies
I received this book free in a Goodreads First Reads drawing.
One of the reviews said it seemed geared toward 7th or 8th graders, which I agree with. It also seemed to have been written BY a 7th or 8th grader. Just did not care for the style or the storyline much at all. It was very predictable and redundant.
  • Hannah's Dream (Hannah's Heart, #1)
  • The Protector (Families of Honor, #2)
  • Plain Paradise (Daughters of the Promise, #4)
  • Rachel's Secret (The Riverhaven Years, #1)
  • Blessings (Sommerfield Trilogy, #3)
  • An Honest Love (Hearts of Middlefield, #2)
  • A Season of Love (Kauffman Amish Bakery #5)
  • The Harvest of Grace (Ada's House, #3)
  • A Widow's Hope (Miller Family, #1)
  • Katie's Redemption (Brides of Amish Country, #1)
A nationally recognized authority on the Amish community, Wanda E. Brunstetter has sold more than seven million copies of her fiction and nonfiction books. Wanda enjoys an uncommon kinship with the Amish and continues to visit their communities throughout the country. Her books have won numerous awards and topped several bestselling charts.
More about Wanda E. Brunstetter...
The Bishop's Daughter (Daughter of Lancaster County, #3) The Storekeeper's Daughter (Daughters of Lancaster County, #1) The Quilter's Daughter (Daughters of Lancaster County, #2) A Cousin's Promise (Indiana Cousins, #1) A Sister's Secret (Sisters of Holmes County, #1)