Start by marking “Octopus Opposites” as Want to Read:
Octopus Opposites

Octopus Opposites

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  96 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Empty, full; push, pull; young, old; hot, cold! The creatures in this vibrant book range from friendly elephants to exotic kookaburras, each with a pair of opposites to share.
Published February 1st 2010 by Barefoot Books

To ask other readers questions about Octopus Opposites, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Octopus Opposites

Fireslily
This is a good book for teaching opposites, but isn't a favorite. The illustration style is too busy for my toddler to really like. I actually hated the illustration style when i first saw it, but was willing to see if my son liked it. He reads this a few times a month, but that is it.
Alyssa
Bright illustrations, simple rhyming language to talk about opposites, but some rich vocabulary, too. Great for little ones!
Nathan
Simple and well-done. Wish the first opposite wasn't "fat/thin" because I am overly sensitive.
Thomas
Blackstone, Stella, and Stephanie Bauer. Octopus opposites. Cambridge, MA: Barefoot Books, 2010. Print.

Octopus fat. Octopus thin. Colorful illustrations of wild animals will put a smile on the face of anyone who reads this concept book about opposites.

This book's fun animal pictures, and short and predictable text appeals to kindergarten-age students. Additionally, opposites is a concept commonly taught at this grade level. I am actually using the book this week with a 6 years old kindergarten
Orlando JBF
Awesome book for infant / toddler. Simple read with beautiful illustrations!
Darcie Caswell
Nice book for storytime:

Animals
Opposites
Rhyming
Beverly
Simple, cute and colorful; perfect for story time.
Marya
Is a skinny octopus really just a squid, at least as far as children's books illustrations go? That was my assumption, and this book really screws it up for me by calling the two drawings "Octopus fat" and "octopus thin". Oh, but kudos on using the fat word! The rest of book is very bright and colorful and builds vocabulary with words like Kookaburra and Beluga whale. It's lasted two weeks here, and that's a pretty long shelf life for a picture book from the library.
Joanie
Simple antonyms book with some words to help build vocabulary. I don't like how the book uses the words "fat" and "thin"; I understand it's an antonym but I will be cautious in using this book to avoid any teasing or negative comparisons in class. Good book to have at a writing center to use as a reference for vocabulary words/spelling.
Emmeline Guest
A great opposite book -- with beautiful, bright and illustrations.

Because a few of the opposites are slightly harder -- this book can work well with both a very young (2-3) group and a slightly older (3-6) group, although the illustrations are probably more likely to appeal to a younger crowd.
Melissa
Octopus fat / octopus thin // sea urchin out / sea urchin in.
Nice animal choices (kookaburra FTW) and bright colors, fun ending (Kookaburra where? / I don't know = the illustration perspective is from up in the air above the flying kookaburra, can you spot her tail?).
Liesl
Cute and colorful! The opposites are simply presented and the vast array of animals included allows for vocabulary building. I love how the final page easily sums up the preceding opposites, and how the animals are displayed near the end in their habitats.
Marie
This book is like a party on every page! The illustrations are bold and vibrant. Look closely and you will notice all sorts of interesting techniques and materials used. Such a fun way to explore a staid concept!
Brittnee
Great book for beginning readers! The pictures and the words go together to help children learn how to read. There is also examples of opposite words and rhyming words in the book.
Jessica Bennett
What a great book for beginning readers! The pictures and the words go together to help children learn how to read. There is also examples of opposite words and rhyming words in the book.
Kerri Harshaw
A wonderfully written simple text to help children learn opposites. The illustrations are very kid friendly and beautiful. A definite read for introducing opposites to children!
Paula
Bold colorful illustrations show the same animal in opposite situations. Very simple and could be used for the smaller ones
Creatures big and small introduce pairs of opposites.
Hajnal
The bright collaged illustrations in this book attract the eye. The summary of opposites at the end of the book is great for summarizing!
Zach
Colorful fun creatures each with their own opposite. High-low, empty-full, bold-shy. Great hook for lessons on antonyms!
Angie
Vibrant illustrations with fun rhymes.

Recommended as a great read-aloud.
Sandi
Colorful illustrations keep my toddler hooked. Rhyming opposites are all fun!
Nick Cherry
This book is very colorful. It uses animals to explain what opposites are.
Megan
I think my favorite opposite is elephant young elephant old.
Allison
Love the pictues, the rhyming, and the opposites!
Holly
Cute, but not my favorite.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Bear on a Bike Secret Seahorse (Hide-And-Seek Books) My Granny Went to Market: A Round-The-World Counting Rhyme Bear about Town How Big Is a Pig?