Start by marking “The Pool of Two Moons (The Witches of Eileanan, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Pool of Two Moons (The Witches of Eileanan, #2)

The Pool of Two Moons (The Witches of Eileanan #2)

4.14  ·  Rating Details ·  3,273 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews

Taking up where The Witches of Eileanan left off, we find Meghan o' the Beasts and her young charge Isabeau, outcasts in a land where magic has been outlawed. But the pair are soon separated, and Isabeau is wounded by witchfinders, and saved by a group of samaritans. Meghan sets out to find Isabeau's warrior-trained twin, Iseult, and a missing prince living under an ancien

Published 1998 by Arrow (Random House Australia Pty Ltd)

Aug 10, 2009 Deirdre rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Meghan of the beasts knows the time is near. By the pool of the Two Moons in the ancient city of Lucescere the future of the witches of Eileanan will be decided. Our heroes have to travel there to try to solve the issues and to make a future happen.

It's a long read, but I can see that it's going places and I want to know more. Honestly I prefer some of her newer stuff.
Cathy (cathepsut)
A seamless continuation to the first book. The characters keep developing nicely, some interesting new ones are added and there are some surprising twists in the story to keep it interesting.
Jul 01, 2008 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A continuation of Forsyth's Witches of Eileanan series. It picks up exactly where the previous one left off, which I like.

Eileanan is a finely crafted world. The characters are well developed and the action is fun. I sometimes got a little tired of the long focuses on one character. It's just personal preference, but I tend to prefer where the chapters trade off on which character they focus on. But overall, a fun read.
Shari  Mulluane
This book almost completely changes focus, with the spotlight on Iseult and Lachlan. We also get glimpses of the ever-growing rebel forces and Isabeau does play a part, just not one that gets as much page time. The good thing about this is we have the already well-created characters that were showcased in book one, and now we get to see new characters developed. This eliminates the normal second book blues. If anything, this book was better.

My review is here:
Dragons, Heroes and Wizards
Aug 27, 2009 Tammy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, own
Megan, Iseult, and Bacaiche the Winged journey to unite the resistance and retrieve the remaining pieces of the key, broken and hidden, pivotal in the battle to come. Meanwhile, Isabeau hides in plain sight, waiting for Megan's return.

At the end of 'The Witches of Eileanan', I was disappointed it ended without a definitive resolution. Happily, 'The Pool of Two Moons' provides the awaited and thrilling conclusion. I feel the two books are better thought of as a single unit. The plot is a creative
Jan 04, 2010 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Iseult and Lachlan marry. Isabeau is reunited with Megan and Iseult. Jared dies,
Brownwen is named heir. Maya with help of kitchen witch escapes, but lodestone is

Jun 21, 2010 Lindsey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
An improvement over the first book. The book starts slowly, but picks up towards the latter half. There are also better breaks in the story, making it easier to follow all the many characters. Not the best fantasy series, but definitely worth the time.
At 557 pages, this is definitely not a short quick read! The continuing story of Isabeau and Iseult was just as thrilling in volume 2 of the series as in volume 1. Our heroes (all of them) go through trials and must find ways around obstacles they never imagined. The pace of the story is even and continues throughout. I was interested the whole way and am quite satisfied with this ending. Much more is promised in volume 3.

(will send to Wendy soon)
Amanda Botten
Apr 16, 2011 Amanda Botten rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
The second book of this wonderful series is just as good as the first. However, there is more romance in this book but don't think that slows down the action going around. It is still filled with adventure and fantasy which compels you to read more, and once you finish this book you head staright the the third edition.
Tamika Wood
Tamika Wood rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2016
I felt Isabeau (which is way to weird of a name. Isa-boo? Just call her Elizabeth jeez) lost all of her spark. Her spirit was weak, her hand chopped up, her magic non-existance... Granted the magic rituals performed by Meghan and the celestines were nice inserts, I disliked the lack of magic and the over-abundence of politics. Hate politics, hate um. Nasty bits in books I try to skip over. I will make space for them when evenly placed between magic scenes but this was pushing my
Finally! After starting the series three times with The Witches of Eileanan I moved onto book 2!

I still would like a map but I enjoy this series. A lot more happened in the book than I was expecting so I am interested to see where it will go from here.
Aug 16, 2014 Delaney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this book was much improved from the first one in terms of plot clarity and ease of following the character's narratives. the plot was amazing as always and I really enjoyed the Lachlan/Iseult stuff because they're perfect.
Aug 25, 2012 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very complex book with a heap of characters to get your head around. The plot moves along at a fast pace with many of the main characters having their own story. It was an enjoyable read and at times I couldnt put it down. The only area I struggled with was remembering who was who as most peoples names were unusual and lengthy so I often couldnt pronounce them and then found myself forgetting who was who.
Am looking forward to the next in the series.
Aug 25, 2012 Alkira rated it it was amazing
Originally posted on Under The Rafters on the 25th August 2012.

The second installment to one of my all time favourite series, The Witches Of Eileanan, is The Pool Of Two Moons.

Not yet having won back the land from the evil Banrigh, the witches and the rebels continue gathering numbers and strength so that they can eventually gain what was theirs. Rumours of a prophecy predicting the emerging of a winged man who is the rightful Righ (King) and who will raise the magical lodestar are spreading thr
Shannon Ewing
Oct 17, 2014 Shannon Ewing rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blessing-of-13, 2014
pretty good sequel to the first book. quite a few more in this series. I've gotten used to the dialogue. happy I stuck with it.
Kelley Ceccato
This story came so far, yet I can tell there will be so much farther to go. I liked this installment a lot. Characters are growing, defining themselves, we're learning more about their history and this world I am now entrenched in. Fantastic read.
Feb 15, 2014 Phrynne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second in the series and just as good as the first. The story moves at a good pace and there are some delightful characters introduced along the way. The author trusts that the reader has the common sense to read the first book before starting this one and does not waste time with boring explanations of what has gone on before. She also ties up the story nicely at the end of this book and yet still leaves the way open for plenty of adventures in the next one. I will definitely continue on.
Jul 02, 2014 Ju rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Didn't enjoy first book much. Primarily read this to see what happened next. Flowed a bit better than first in series. It is a sign when I can't wait for a book to be over.
Sep 09, 2014 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-copy, fantasy
It rarely happens that I find the sequel better than the first part, but voilá: here's one of them!
There's a lot more action going on in this book and it's fast paced as well. I could also really appreciate the lack of explanations referring to the first book. It seems as if the author just assumed you read it first...which was great! Especially compared to some series where it's just pages of repetitive scenes to make the new reader catch up with things.

There were only 3 things which slightly
Still very Scottish. I found this book very difficult to get into since it had been two months since I read the first one. After a confusing number of chapters, I finally started to recall events from the first book, and the story grabbed me. I enjoyed it, and the chapters were a little long, but the plot twists and development mostly kept me guessing. There were a number of cliches, and the resolution felt a little rushed, but I'm looking forward to the next book.
Mar 04, 2015 T J rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has been 16 years since the witches have been hiding and now the time had come to recover that which was hidden all those years ago. The true heir and his mate must storm the castle and take the throne back from the evil ensorcellor before his brother dies and her infant is made heir. This story is very suspenseful and intiguing, a very good read.
Lauren Ferguson
Jun 19, 2015 Lauren Ferguson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was concerned after the first book that there hadn't been enough in the plot to drag it on. well I've finished the second book now and I was pleasantly surprised. Already started the next one, they're so easy to get lost in :)
Jul 10, 2015 Carl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: new-books-2015
The same characters, with some new and interesting characters thrown into the mix. The plot thickens, and is probably more exciting than the first novel. I usually find second novels in fantasy series are a bit of a let down, but this certainly wasn't.
Nicole Field
This book reminded me of why I don't tend to like a lot of fantasy. WAY too many characters.

And yet, for all that, I kind of liked the way they all fell in together at the end. And also the way that more than one of them were the bad guy, giving the reader the idea that, if we do definitely beat down one bad guy, we're still going to have another one to deal with, giving time for the first bad guy to regroup. Ahh, fantasy series are never meant to be easy.

The main people this novel followed wer
I liked this book and this series, but none of the books can stand on their own. Not sure I want to read 6 books that are 500+ pages just to get to the end of the story presented in the first book.
Feb 22, 2016 Dixy marked it as dropped  ·  review of another edition
This book carried on the story brilliantly well. I actually think it was better than the first book, which bodes well for the rest of the series.
I've decided to do a proper review after I've read all 6 books , hopefully by the end of the year. :)
Jul 11, 2016 Sam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read the first book in this series, The Witches of Eileanan, and now this one. My main issue with the story so far isn't that there are too many characters (that's pretty much a given for a plot like this), but that the way their storylines are brought together feels a bit chaotic and choppy. And that's not because of the nature of the story, but more due to the writing — in my opinion, it just didn't flow well in this second installment.

That being said, the story's quite interesting, and
  • Treason Keep (Hythrun Chronicles: Demon Child, #2)
  • The House of Gaian (Tir Alainn, #3)
  • Betrayal (Trinity, #1)
  • The Dark Age (The Ancient Future, #1)
  • Druid's Sword (The Troy Game, #4)
  • The Sea Lark's Song
  • The Keeping Place (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #4)
  • The Spell of Rosette (Quantum Enchantment, #1)
Kate Forsyth wrote her first novel at the age of seven, and is now the award-winning & internationally bestselling author of more than 35 books for both adults and children.

Her books for adults include 'The Beast's Garden', a retelling of the Grimm version of 'Beauty & the Beast', set in the German underground resistance to Hitler in WWII; 'The Wild Girl', the love story of Wilhelm Grimm
More about Kate Forsyth...

The Witches of Eileanan (6 books)
  • The Witches of Eileanan (The Witches of Eileanan, #1)
  • The Cursed Towers (The Witches of Eileanan, #3)
  • The Forbidden Land (The Witches of Eileanan, #4)
  • The Skull of the World (The Witches of Eileanan, #5)
  • The Fathomless Caves (The Witches of Eileanan, #6)