The Pool of Two Moons (The Witches of Eileanan, #2)

The Pool of Two Moons (The Witches of Eileanan #2)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  2,309 ratings  ·  29 reviews

Taking up where The Witches of Eileanan left off, we find Meghan o' the Beasts and her young charge Isabeau, outcasts in a land where magic has been outlawed. But the pair are soon separated, and Isabeau is wounded by witchfinders, and saved by a group of samaritans. Meghan sets out to find Isabeau's warrior-trained twin, Iseult, and a missing prince living under an ancien

Published 1998 by Arrow (Random House Australia Pty Ltd)

Phrynne
The second in the series and just as good as the first. The story moves at a good pace and there are some delightful characters introduced along the way. The author trusts that the reader has the common sense to read the first book before starting this one and does not waste time with boring explanations of what has gone on before. She also ties up the story nicely at the end of this book and yet still leaves the way open for plenty of adventures in the next one. I will definitely continue on.
Deirdre
Meghan of the beasts knows the time is near. By the pool of the Two Moons in the ancient city of Lucescere the future of the witches of Eileanan will be decided. Our heroes have to travel there to try to solve the issues and to make a future happen.

It's a long read, but I can see that it's going places and I want to know more. Honestly I prefer some of her newer stuff.
Chani
I felt Isabeau (which is way to weird of a name. Isa-boo? Just call her Elizabeth jeez) lost all of her spark. Her spirit was weak, her hand chopped up, her magic non-existance... Granted the magic rituals performed by Meghan and the celestines were nice inserts, I disliked the lack of magic and the over-abundence of politics. Hate politics, hate um. Nasty bits in books I try to skip over. I will make space for them when evenly placed between magic scenes but this was pushing my
desires/patience....more
Alkira
Originally posted on Under The Rafters on the 25th August 2012.

The second installment to one of my all time favourite series, The Witches Of Eileanan, is The Pool Of Two Moons.

Not yet having won back the land from the evil Banrigh, the witches and the rebels continue gathering numbers and strength so that they can eventually gain what was theirs. Rumours of a prophecy predicting the emerging of a winged man who is the rightful Righ (King) and who will raise the magical lodestar are spreading thr...more
Steve
Still very Scottish. I found this book very difficult to get into since it had been two months since I read the first one. After a confusing number of chapters, I finally started to recall events from the first book, and the story grabbed me. I enjoyed it, and the chapters were a little long, but the plot twists and development mostly kept me guessing. There were a number of cliches, and the resolution felt a little rushed, but I'm looking forward to the next book.
Tammy
Megan, Iseult, and Bacaiche the Winged journey to unite the resistance and retrieve the remaining pieces of the key, broken and hidden, pivotal in the battle to come. Meanwhile, Isabeau hides in plain sight, waiting for Megan's return.

At the end of 'The Witches of Eileanan', I was disappointed it ended without a definitive resolution. Happily, 'The Pool of Two Moons' provides the awaited and thrilling conclusion. I feel the two books are better thought of as a single unit. The plot is a creative...more
Shari  Mulluane
This book almost completely changes focus, with the spotlight on Iseult and Lachlan. We also get glimpses of the ever-growing rebel forces and Isabeau does play a part, just not one that gets as much page time. The good thing about this is we have the already well-created characters that were showcased in book one, and now we get to see new characters developed. This eliminates the normal second book blues. If anything, this book was better.

My review is here:
Dragons, Heroes and Wizards
Sue
This is a very complex book with a heap of characters to get your head around. The plot moves along at a fast pace with many of the main characters having their own story. It was an enjoyable read and at times I couldnt put it down. The only area I struggled with was remembering who was who as most peoples names were unusual and lengthy so I often couldnt pronounce them and then found myself forgetting who was who.
Am looking forward to the next in the series.
Lemonitsa
At 557 pages, this is definitely not a short quick read! The continuing story of Isabeau and Iseult was just as thrilling in volume 2 of the series as in volume 1. Our heroes (all of them) go through trials and must find ways around obstacles they never imagined. The pace of the story is even and continues throughout. I was interested the whole way and am quite satisfied with this ending. Much more is promised in volume 3.

(will send to Wendy soon)
Kristen
A continuation of Forsyth's Witches of Eileanan series. It picks up exactly where the previous one left off, which I like.

Eileanan is a finely crafted world. The characters are well developed and the action is fun. I sometimes got a little tired of the long focuses on one character. It's just personal preference, but I tend to prefer where the chapters trade off on which character they focus on. But overall, a fun read.
Natalie
Finally! After starting the series three times with The Witches of Eileanan I moved onto book 2!

I still would like a map but I enjoy this series. A lot more happened in the book than I was expecting so I am interested to see where it will go from here.
Amanda Botten
The second book of this wonderful series is just as good as the first. However, there is more romance in this book but don't think that slows down the action going around. It is still filled with adventure and fantasy which compels you to read more, and once you finish this book you head staright the the third edition.
Lindsey
An improvement over the first book. The book starts slowly, but picks up towards the latter half. There are also better breaks in the story, making it easier to follow all the many characters. Not the best fantasy series, but definitely worth the time.
Becca
This story came so far, yet I can tell there will be so much farther to go. I liked this installment a lot. Characters are growing, defining themselves, we're learning more about their history and this world I am now entrenched in. Fantastic read.
cathepsut
A seamless continuation to the first book. The characters keep developing nicely, some interesting new ones are added and there are some surprising twists in the story to keep it interesting.
Amanda
Iseult and Lachlan marry. Isabeau is reunited with Megan and Iseult. Jared dies,
Brownwen is named heir. Maya with help of kitchen witch escapes, but lodestone is
recovered.

Julie
Didn't enjoy first book much. Primarily read this to see what happened next. Flowed a bit better than first in series. It is a sign when I can't wait for a book to be over.
E'lyne
Great Ending! Well not happy-great but action-great! I'm already on the next one!
Erinn
I didn't think I was that crazy for this series, but I find that it grew on me.
Kim Williams
my eyes were glued to the pages i wanted to read more could not put it down
Elspeth LaMorte
I rather adore this and wish I had the next book on hand to start immediately.
Max
2nd book in the series. Like all three very much.
Adam
Another great read and i look forward to book 3!
A
This book lives up to the first book.
Speedreaderthoughnotaware
it got better but was not captervating
Kari Gray
Oct 24, 2007 Kari Gray rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy
Good seconder
Maritza
Sep 14, 2007 Maritza rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Yes I would
I like the book
  • The Palace of Impossible Dreams (Tide Lords, #3)
  • The House of Gaian (Tir Alainn, #3)
  • The Dark Age (The Ancient Future, #1)
  • The Lesser Kindred (The Tale of Lanen Kaelar, #2)
  • Sinner (Wayfarer Redemption, #4)
  • Legends of Australian Fantasy
  • Destiny (Trinity, #3)
  • The Tower on the Rift (The View from the Mirror, #2)
  • Darkfall (The Legendsong, #1)
Kate Forsyth wrote her first novel at the age of seven, and is now the award-winning & internationally bestselling author of more than 20 books for both adults and children.

Her books for adults include 'The Wild Girl', the love story of Wilhelm Grimm and Dortchen Wild, the young woman who told him many of the world's most famous fairy tales; 'Bitter Greens', a retelling of the Rapunzel fairyt...more
More about Kate Forsyth...
The Witches of Eileanan (The Witches of Eileanan, #1) The Tower of Ravens (Rhiannon's Ride, #1) The Cursed Towers (The Witches of Eileanan, #3) The Fathomless Caves (The Witches of Eileanan, #6) The Skull of the World (The Witches of Eileanan, #5)