Start by marking “Thank You, Miss Doover” as Want to Read:

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  88 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Miss Doover is teaching Jack's class how to write thank-you notes. Jack knows the perfect recipient: Great-Aunt Gertie, who gave him boring stationery. But the stationery has other uses: it's come in very handy when housebreaking Puddly, Jack's new puppy! Miss Doover sure has a lot of rules for writing a letter. Jack revises over and over, adding details until Great-Aunt G...more
Published September 1st 2010 by Holiday House

To ask other readers questions about Thank You, Miss Doover, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thank You, Miss Doover

Tricia
No thank you, Miss Doover. This book was awful. While I appreciated what it was trying to teach, it was repeating and repeating and finally, I had to close it up (which I probably only do once every 500 books). My audience did not protest. They sighed with relief.
Mackenzie
her name is miss doover like do over so she makes the boy do his thank you note over and over and over.
Alicia Scully
Jack and the rest of his class learn about thank you notes and the art of revising but Jack just can't seem to get the point of either. He doesn't think that he'll need more than one draft and he doesn't like that his teacher keeps bothering him to add more. His teacher tries to help him as well as the rest of the class along, though it proves a bit difficult.

I have mixed feelings about this book. In a way, this book could be a good way to introduce revision to a young audience but it really di...more
Karen Burt
This is a great book about writing thank-you letters. The teacher, Miss Doover, (Do-over) to the students, is attempting to teach how to write a thank-you letter. She explains the importance of details, how to "express" your thoughts on paper, and always using good manners and thinking of the givers feelings when writing a thank-you letter. The story is hilariously funny and the comic strip style of writing is very appealing to students. The illustrations are fun, bright and comical, they add an...more
Joseph Pomatto
Great message about having to check and check and check your work over a lot before it is truly good
Beverly
What I liked about the book: This is a good book to use for an elementary (or even middle school) lesson on the lost art of writing thank you letters. It also offers opportunities for expanding a student's vocabulary.

What I didn't like about the book: It's a tad bit repetitive and I wonder if students won't just eventually tune out the story. However, the illustrations and the reasons why Great Aunt Gertie's gift was so useful will bring a smile to young readers and just might help to hold their...more
Courtney
It is rare that I can find no charm at all in a picture book, but this one is awful. The story itself is didactic to the point where it's obvious the book is only trying to teach us to write a decent thank you note without any other kind of story. The teacher named Miss Doover (get it? Do-Over... ha ha) makes the main character rewrite his thank you note over and over again, in class, in front of all the other students. Overall, I can think of no child I would want to share this with and I think...more
Sunnyvale Librarian
Miss Doover is teaching her class how to write thank you letters. It is not an easy task as Miss Doover corrects spelling and encourages her students to write expressively and to make each letter something that will be very special to the recipient. Author Pulver takes the subject of letter writing and gives her readers a story with humor and purpose.
Rowlak5

I was cracking up as I read this book from a teacher's perspective. Miss Doover leads a class through thank you note writing. She becomes exasperated after repeating herself and eloquently attempting to explain only to have her students trying hard but not quite getting it. Basically a humorous look into a primary classroom :-)
Lisa
I enjoyed this book! I think as a teacher, we look for books that explain the reasons why we write a certain way. Pulver uses the teacher as a tool for learning proper writing while including humor for the kids who have experienced the same emotions as Jack. Would be a nice intro to writer's workshop for K -2nd grades.
Jen
Miss Doover is teaching her class how to write thank you notes. Jack thinks this is going to be a piece of cake, but he soon finds out through many revisions that it isn't as easy as it sounds. I think this would be an excellent book to use to kick off a letter writing unit in an elementary/middle school classroom.
Megan
Jun 08, 2012 Megan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 2nd-5th grade
Recommended to Megan by: Young Hoosier Book Award nominee
Jack's assignment is to write a thank-you note. He thinks it will be an easy assignment, but Miss Doover keeps making him revise his note to make it better. Jack's thoughts and drafts are humorous, especially to teachers. Use this book as an example of the revision process.
Donalyn
When Jack's teacher, Miss Doover (do over) teaches students how to write a proper thank you note, Jack learns the art of revising. Jack's drafts are honest and funny. A good book for launching a letter-writing unit or classroom discussions about revising.
Paula
Dec 05, 2011 Paula rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: pic
Miss Doover and Jack have different ideas about writing Thank You notes. Miss Doover helps her class with some "ideas". The end results put a smile on your face. A great book for adults or a beginning writer.
Tam
I skimmed through this book at the library and thought it would be a fun one for my 8-year-old. I thought it would teach him a little bit about how to write a letter but I didn't realize it would be so boring.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Miss Doover is teaching her students to write a thank you note (friendly letter). Jack thinks that it will be easy until he must revise his letter over, and over again.
A good older picture book about revision and the writing process, particularly thank you notes. It is pretty hilarious. I found it in my stuff from ALA, and am glad I kept it!
Cyndi
Great book to teach young kids about the art of writing a descriptive and nicely written thank you letter. It also teaches you the importance of reviewing and editing your work.
Liz
Liked it! Thought it was clever for friendly letter writing...liked the speech bubble thoughts, too. Funny use of stationary. Good for demonstrating revisions in writing.
Stefani
Cool book about letter writing and how to properly say what you want to say. I don't see a huge audience for this, but would be fun to kick off a letter-writing unit in school.
Davina
This would be a good book for a teacher who wants to introduce letter-writing to the class. Kids will love the letters written by the students in Miss Doover's class.
Nicole
A cute story in which a teacher attempts to guide her students in writing thank you notes. Could be used when introducing a unit about letter writing.
Elizabeth Finney
Can't imagine reading this aloud - that it would hold a group's attention - too long I think for the young kids. But as a one-on-one maybe...
Danielle
Dear Robin Pulver,
Thank you for your funny book. It has reminded me that I am horrible at writing thank yous, and worse at revision.
Danielle
Rita
Wait till you read the final versions of the letters. I don't know about the kids but the parents reading the book will laugh.
Erin
Cute book that would be good for 3rd and 4th grade about how to write a Thank You note. The ending is very sweet.
Deborah
A fun book about revising--and how hard it can be. Fun, too, with the way Jack interprets her suggestions.
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
It is a book that a teacher helps a student with his letter and it ends up him writing a letter to her. M.
the Reeds
got this as a bedtime story. Not a 'story' but a primer on writing thank you notes.
Talayeh
i really like this book because i have done the same thing it's a really good book
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Punctuation Takes a Vacation Happy Endings: A Story about Suffixes Silent Letters Loud and Clear Saturday Is Dadurday Nouns and Verbs Have a Field Day