Start by marking “War Horse (War Horse, #1)” as Want to Read:
War Horse (War Horse, #1)

War Horse (War Horse #1)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  22,557 ratings  ·  2,976 reviews
A powerful tale of war, redemption, and a hero's journey--now available in paperback!

In 1914, Joey, a beautiful bay-red foal with a distinctive cross on his nose, is sold to the army and thrust into the midst of the war on the Western Front. With his officer, he charges toward the enemy, witnessing the horror of the battles in France. But even in the desolation of the tren
Published September 1st 2010 by Scholastic Press (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about War Horse, please sign up.

Dem
Small Books can often leave big impressions and this is the case with War Horse by Michael Morpurgo.

Michael Murpurgo writes wonderful children's novels and I had loved some of his books very much and War Horse is one of those books that leaves a lasting impression.

This is not a novel with a complicated plot or twists and turns but a beautiful story simply told and I find sometimes these can be the best.

Warhorse is a moving story about a horse called Joey and his experiences during service in th
Mario
If somebody told me that book written in horse's POV would be this emotional, I wouldn't have believed it.

From page one, I knew that this wasn't going to be happy and light read (even in chapter 1 so much happened). It dealt with war, and how unfair and stupid it is. But it also dealt with so much more than that. It's a story about friendship, loyalty, love and survival. And I felt like this book was so much longer than it actually was. I guess that is because so much happened in it. But surpris
Stephanie
I listened to this on audio and was listening to this while making my way to a ‘gig’ at Wooster College in Ohio, where I was to draw caricatures. Drawing caricatures for the public requires a certain amount of upbeat interaction, so it might not have been a good time to cry over Joey the War Horse. I hope my Eyes weren’t all puffy.

Joey is a special horse. Special enough to be purchased to serve in the first world war as a Calvary horse. But the whole time he is in the war he longs for the day he
Liz

A book about war. About fighting and surviving.

A book about friendship and loyalty. And about death and grief and moving on.

Written from the POV of a horse, this book was absolutely breathtaking. And honetsly, not only the book. I cried when I read the book and I cried even harder when I watched the movie.
It was one of the few books I read that was actually about WWI. Since so many books are about the Second World War I was very intrigued about a book that pictured the First one!

The main part i
Karen
This is a double wow book for me! Joey, the war horse, tells about his adventures during World War 1 and the special bond he has with a young boy named Albert. At only 160 pages or so, it goes very fast. I loved it! I look forward to seeing the movie which is coming out on Christmas.
(Gerard's review)

War Horse is a touching book that kept my interest all through. Although it is a children's book, I enjoyed it but must admit I got teary-eyed reading it. Parts were very sad but I loved the ending!
Erastes
I'm clearly the only person in the world who doesn't like, doesn't get, this book.

The horse is a Gary Stu (See here if you don't know what one of those is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Sue) - he knows everything, from what guns and cannons are, to what wire is and what it can do, the terms for everythng in his world, including politics and the type of bit in his mouth.

I'm used to anthropomorphic animals, and have been since I was born--but Joey should be dressed up in a waistcoat and walking
Anna
I read this book after watching and loving the movie. I struggled with a 3 or 4 star rating, but as with most books, the ending made me give it the higher. The ending paragraph was different/odd.. Not my way of a good ending, ending. (the last paragraph)
Inspirational? Not really. Worth reading? Yep.
Tristan Robin Blakeman
Very interesting book...and quite touching, in a clean and non-cloying way.

I am familiar with the play, so I knew the basic plot line. I wish I had read the book first ... the play is SO powerful - and so theatrically charged with the larger-than-life stage puppets who play the horses - that the book seemed somewhat small to me. But, that's okay. It's really a small story - even though it's played against the world stage during intense and climatic moments.

It was a surprise to find the book is w
Jo
This review is part of my Poppies & Prose feature.

"I tell you, if we had one jot of the courage of these animals we should be in Paris by now and not slugging it out here in the mud... It was not their fault they were sent on a fool's errand. They are not circus animals, they are heroes, do you understand, heroes, and they should be treated as such."

So I have to admit when I first started reading this book, I didn’t have high expectations.
There are three reasons for this:
1) It’s
A very touching and sensitive story involving the friendship between a former British farmer and his horse. With the beginning of World War I, both friends have a separate life in France but the destiny bring them together with all the suffering which came by the end of this War.

Another two sensitive books with similar subject should be mentioned here: Black Beauty by Anna Sewell and Seabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand. In the latest, the horse is not a character/narrator himself as opposite of the
Michael
Review from Badelynge.
I was drawn to this book after seeing the life-sized horse puppets in the theatrical version of War Horse. Former UK Children's Laureate Michael Morpurgo usually has an entire shelf dedicated to him in most British book shops and this one, written nearly 30 years ago is one I can recommend to both children and adults alike. It tells the story of Joey, a half-thoroughbred red bay bought by a drunken farmer to spite another and beloved of the farmer's son. The events of 1913
Laura Anderson
I'd never heard of this book - nor of Michael Morpurgo - until I worked at the Edinburgh Book Festival a couple of years ago. I'm not sure why such a prolific and popular author passed me by when I was little (some of my co-workers at the EBF were horrified by this), so I review this entirely as an adult.

War Horse is, of course, very popular right now. With a Spielberg film in the cinema, the book has apparently sold more copies in the UK over the last two weeks than it did internationally in 25
Zane Bērzleja
Grāmatas “Kara zirgs” autors ir Maikls Morpurgo. Autors visus savus 68 gadus ir pavadījis Anglijā, dzīvojis un rakstījis savus darbus, ko dara vēlaizvien. Romānu “Kara zirgs” viņš sarakstīja 1982. gadā, kas 2012. gadā tika iestudēts arī uz kino ekrāniem, piesaistīdams lielāku lasītāju loku. Notikumi vijās ap Pirmo Pasaules karu 1914. gadā, galvenokārt Francijā, un autors ir izveidojis apbrīnojamu kara romānu no savādāka skata punkta, kas ir grūti iedomājams.
Šajās lapaspusēs ir stāsts par zirga
Maya
I read this book and I think it is great since I can easily relate with how Albert is feeling because the way it described his feelings, I sometimes feel like that too. The main characters name is Albert and a horse named Joey. I like this book because it builds suspense a few times because the Germans captured Joey,Captain Stewart, Captain Nichols, and Albert and they are making them to war.It gets suspenseful because the author put a lot of detail so it gets you hooked. I would recommend this ...more
Carrie
3.5* Grade B/B-

I bought this on a whim on audible.com during a $4.95 sale. It's under 5 hours long, but worth the price. The story is basically Black Beauty meets World War I, including being told from the horse's point-of-view. This book was more about the evil's of war than a treatise on animal cruelty, but mostly it was about hope and love and loyalty.

The narration was decent, but there was an odd sort of lilt to the voice, especially when speaking dialog.

The book was originally written in
Janeka
Rating: 4,5 stars

description

This was such a great read for me :)

I don't like (at all!) movies narrated by animals, but "War Horse" was a total different experience, I loved it. The fact that it was written to children / teens gave it a beautiful simplicity, in my opinion.

And I confess - I cried. Twice, actually.

Janean
The book and the movie were different in several ways. Point of view was an obvious one. Because the horse tells the story in the book, the similarities between the 2 enemy combatants are more evident. I think the author’s anti-war position comes through more clearly in the book. The part about plowing the field was also different. The scene of the selling of the horse to the army is identical.
Here are my favorite quotes:
Worked hard because of bond of trust and devotion. P. 31
“We are the same o
Adira
I'm not one of those people who overly adore animals or audiobooks, but the narrator for this book was phenomenal. His accents for the different nationalities spurred my imagination on and made this story that much more enjoyable. Had this not been required reading I'd never have chosen to read it on my own. I would definitely mark this as a new favorite. The lessons that this book holds about war and humanity were awe inspiring. I urge everyone to read it or listen to the audiobook. War Horse c ...more
Louise
P.Z.
ดูภาพยนตรแลวชอบมากๆ เลยหาหนังมาสืออาน ถึงรูวาหนังสือเหมือนกับในภาพยนตรทุกระเบียด แตการเลาเรืองจะผานมุมมองของมาตัวหนึง เราแปลกใจทีมาอยางโจอีสามารถไดยินและเขาใจภาษาทุกคำทีมนุษยสือสารออกมา ทำใหเราไดเหนมุมมองอันแสนบริสุทธิของมาทีมีตอโลกใบนี แมวาโจอีจะพบการสูญเสียมากมายระหวางการเดินทาง แตมันกไมเคยยอทอ กลับเดินหนาตอไปสูเสนทางขางหนาโดยทีไมรูวามีอะไรรอมันอยู

แมวาจะดูภาพยนตรจนรูเรืองหมดแลว มาอานหนังสือซำกอีกรอบกยังประทับใจอยูดี ประทับใจในมิตรภาพและโชคชะตาทีรังสรรคใหเนือเรืองของนิยายเลมนีออกมาซาบซึงและกินใ
Nymeria

Ti venderò questo cavallo per un penny

Avrei dovuto leggere prima il libro e poi vedere il film, però va bene lo stesso. Il libro mi è piaciuto, anche se sono rimasta sorpresa nello scoprire che seguiva il cavallo e non il ragazzo ( colpa mia, come ho detto prima ho visto prima il film ). Comunque è scritto bene e la storia è carina, quindi è una lettura piacevole.
Afshar

و نظرشو بیان نمیکنه!!!!
Ahmad Sharabiani
داستان، ضد جنگ است، روایت از دید همین اسب جنگی ست برای نوجوانان
Daisy
Not as good as I was expecting. This book failed to hold my attention most of the way through, as it was EXTREMELY rushed, and the constant changes of scenery and direction made me lose interest in the story and characters. The horse protagonist was unrealistic, mainly because of the way he understood foreign languages with no trouble at all, and formed connections with people and (particularly) other horses out of nowhere with nothing to go by. They just 'had a connection' and that was that.

Pro
Rebecca
I received this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

In a nutshell: War Horse is a heartfelt and emotional story of war, friendship and survival.

I love historical fiction and I'm always surprised when I think of the small amount of books I've read that are set in WWI. I'm even more surprised when I think about how long I went without having a book like War Horse on my shelf. Not only is this book one of my favourites of the genre, but it's also one of my favourites period.

War
Chris
I'm not sure if this novel or Black Beauty's Family came first, but Black Beauty's Family is much better.

This isn't to say that War Horse is bad, it's not. But outside its complete debt to Black Beauty (and the ups and down mirror that book extactly), the book is cliche after cliche. All the boy and his horse cliches are here as well as 90% of all the war ones.

Still, it's not a bad book, but there is a surprisely lack of place. I understand that it's a children's book, but so was Black Beauty an
Daria
Maybe it's because I kept comparing it to Black Beauty. Maybe it had simply been unlucky in being the book I read right after Fly Trap (and Frances Hardinge is a hard, hard act to follow). But despite all the great things people say about War Horse, and the acclaim which surrounds the play and film of the same name, I found no love for this book whatsoever.

I hate it when the authors of children's books condescend. A children's writer such as Morpurgo has either a) made the mistake of thinking t
Katie Kerns
War Horse
By: Michael Morpurgo

Joey is the main character of this historical fiction novel set at the start of World War 1 in England in 1914. Joey is a horse and he tells this story.
Joey was bought at an auction by a mean man who only bid on him so another farmer couldn't have him. Joey is taken to his farm and meets the farmer’s son Albert. Joey and Albert are instant friends and they work together on the farm plowing and preparing the fields. One day Albert is away ringing the bells at church
H
This book, told from the perspective of a horse, is like an old-fashioned children's novel. Joey is a horse who as a small colt is sold to a farmer who is quite good tempered when he isn't drunk, but cruel when he is. Luckily, the farmer's son loves and cares for Joey. When the farmer sells the grown Joey to the British Army to serve as a cavalry horse in the early days of WWI, Joey starts an oddyssey that brings him into contact with many owners, both kind and cruel. The language in Morpugo's n ...more
Sheila
For children who love horses and horse stories, this young-adult fictional story is a good way to introduce them to the realities of war, specifically World War 1, as seen and told through the eyes of a horse names Joey.

The story follows Joey from his foal-hood in England, being trained by an English boy named Albert, until he is then sold to the Army for the war effort. We then get to see, hear, feel and experience the war, with all of its death and destruction, through Joey's eyes, before he i
War Horse 1 6 May 11, 2015 09:07AM
(Star)War(s) Horse 25 11 Mar 03, 2015 12:58PM
If you liked this book then read... 10 92 Feb 08, 2015 01:59PM
2015 Reading Chal...: War Horse by Michael Morpurgo 2 12 Jan 20, 2015 02:43PM
UEL Primary PGCE ...: Book Review 6 - War Horse 1 4 Sep 05, 2014 05:02AM
  • Chicken Soup For The Horse Lover's Soul: Inspirational Stories About Horses and the People Who Love Them (Chicken Soup for the Soul)
  • Firehorse
  • Blind Beauty
  • Mustang: Wild Spirit of the West
  • A Horse of Her Own
  • The Georges and the Jewels (Horses of Oak Valley Ranch, #1)
  • The Horses of Proud Spirit
  • Paint the Wind
  • Risky Chance (Horse Diaries, #7)
  • The Hearts of Horses
  • Cracker!: The Best Dog in Vietnam
  • Beyond the Homestretch: What I've Learned from Saving Racehorses
  • Elska (Horse Diaries, #1)
  • The Eighty-Dollar Champion: Snowman, the Horse That Inspired a Nation
  • Hold Your Horses: Nuggets of Truth for People Who Love Horses...No Matter What
  • The Outside of a Horse
  • The Black Stallion Mystery (The Black Stallion, #13)
  • Chosen by a Horse
Michael Morpurgo is the author of many books for children, five of which have been made into films. He also writes his own screenplays and libretti for opera. Born in St Albans, Hertfordshire, in 1943, he was evacuated to Cumberland during the last years of the war, then returned to London, moving later to Essex. After a brief and unsuccessful spell in the army, he took up teaching and started to ...more
More about Michael Morpurgo...

War Horse (2 books)
  • Farm Boy (War Horse, #2)
Private Peaceful Kensuke's Kingdom The Butterfly Lion The Amazing Story of Adolphus Tips Born to Run

2 trivia questions
6 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“I can hate you more, but I'll never love you less.” 113 likes
“Any problem can be solved between people if only they can trust each other” 43 likes