Start by marking “War Horse (War Horse, #1)” as Want to Read:
War Horse (War Horse, #1)

War Horse (War Horse #1)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  24,464 ratings  ·  3,126 reviews
A powerful tale of war, redemption, and a hero's journey--now available in paperback!

In 1914, Joey, a beautiful bay-red foal with a distinctive cross on his nose, is sold to the army and thrust into the midst of the war on the Western Front. With his officer, he charges toward the enemy, witnessing the horror of the battles in France. But even in the desolation of the tren
Published September 1st 2010 by Scholastic Press (first published 1982)

If somebody told me that book written in horse's POV would be this emotional, I wouldn't have believed it.

From page one, I knew that this wasn't going to be happy and light read (even in chapter 1 so much happened). It dealt with war, and how unfair and stupid it is. But it also dealt with so much more than that. It's a story about friendship, loyalty, love and survival. And I felt like this book was so much longer than it actually was. I guess that is because so much happened in it. But surpris
Small Books can often leave big impressions and this is the case with War Horse by Michael Morpurgo.

Michael Murpurgo writes wonderful children's novels and I had loved some of his books very much and War Horse is one of those books that leaves a lasting impression.

This is not a novel with a complicated plot or twists and turns but a beautiful story simply told and I find sometimes these can be the best.

Warhorse is a moving story about a horse called Joey and his experiences during service in th
I listened to this on audio and was listening to this while making my way to a ‘gig’ at Wooster College in Ohio, where I was to draw caricatures. Drawing caricatures for the public requires a certain amount of upbeat interaction, so it might not have been a good time to cry over Joey the War Horse. I hope my Eyes weren’t all puffy.

Joey is a special horse. Special enough to be purchased to serve in the first world war as a Calvary horse. But the whole time he is in the war he longs for the day he

A book about war. About fighting and surviving.

A book about friendship and loyalty. And about death and grief and moving on.

Written from the POV of a horse, this book was absolutely breathtaking. And honetsly, not only the book. I cried when I read the book and I cried even harder when I watched the movie.
It was one of the few books I read that was actually about WWI. Since so many books are about the Second World War I was very intrigued about a book that pictured the First one!

The main part i
This is a double wow book for me! Joey, the war horse, tells about his adventures during World War 1 and the special bond he has with a young boy named Albert. At only 160 pages or so, it goes very fast. I loved it! I look forward to seeing the movie which is coming out on Christmas.
(Gerard's review)

War Horse is a touching book that kept my interest all through. Although it is a children's book, I enjoyed it but must admit I got teary-eyed reading it. Parts were very sad but I loved the ending!
Ahmad Sharabiani
داستان، ضد جنگ است، روایت از دید همین اسب جنگی ست برای نوجوانان
چند سال پیش هم خوانده بودم، دیشب کنار تخت بود، گفتم دوباره یک دو فصل میخوانم تا خوابم ببرد، ساعت پنج صبح 189 ص دوباره تمام شد
I'm clearly the only person in the world who doesn't like, doesn't get, this book.

The horse is a Gary Stu (See here if you don't know what one of those is - he knows everything, from what guns and cannons are, to what wire is and what it can do, the terms for everythng in his world, including politics and the type of bit in his mouth.

I'm used to anthropomorphic animals, and have been since I was born--but Joey should be dressed up in a waistcoat and walking
This is a children's book which I picked up completely by chance. I am currently studying Graphic Design and there happens to be a project which requires illustrating this book and so naturally I had to read it in order to know how to illustrate it, and my goodness I am so happy I did choose to pick this up!!

This is a story which is told from the point of view of a Horse named Joey. I wouldn't have expected a book described in that way to come across as well and as emotionally as it has, but hon
I read this book after watching and loving the movie. I struggled with a 3 or 4 star rating, but as with most books, the ending made me give it the higher. The ending paragraph was different/odd.. Not my way of a good ending, ending. (the last paragraph)
Inspirational? Not really. Worth reading? Yep.
This review is part of my Poppies & Prose feature.

"I tell you, if we had one jot of the courage of these animals we should be in Paris by now and not slugging it out here in the mud... It was not their fault they were sent on a fool's errand. They are not circus animals, they are heroes, do you understand, heroes, and they should be treated as such."

So I have to admit when I first started reading this book, I didn’t have high expectations.
There are three reasons for this:
1) It’s
Tristan Robin Blakeman
Very interesting book...and quite touching, in a clean and non-cloying way.

I am familiar with the play, so I knew the basic plot line. I wish I had read the book first ... the play is SO powerful - and so theatrically charged with the larger-than-life stage puppets who play the horses - that the book seemed somewhat small to me. But, that's okay. It's really a small story - even though it's played against the world stage during intense and climatic moments.

It was a surprise to find the book is w
Oh my goodness, guys. Review to come!
I received this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

In a nutshell: War Horse is a heartfelt and emotional story of war, friendship and survival.

I love historical fiction and I'm always surprised when I think of the small amount of books I've read that are set in WWI. I'm even more surprised when I think about how long I went without having a book like War Horse on my shelf. Not only is this book one of my favourites of the genre, but it's also one of my favourites period.

I read this book and I think it is great since I can easily relate with how Albert is feeling because the way it described his feelings, I sometimes feel like that too. The main characters name is Albert and a horse named Joey. I like this book because it builds suspense a few times because the Germans captured Joey,Captain Stewart, Captain Nichols, and Albert and they are making them to war.It gets suspenseful because the author put a lot of detail so it gets you hooked. I would recommend this ...more
A very touching and sensitive story involving the friendship between a former British farmer and his horse. With the beginning of World War I, both friends have a separate life in France but the destiny bring them together with all the suffering which came by the end of this War.

Another two sensitive books with similar subject should be mentioned here: Black Beauty by Anna Sewell and Seabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand. In the latest, the horse is not a character/narrator himself as opposite of the
Review from Badelynge.
I was drawn to this book after seeing the life-sized horse puppets in the theatrical version of War Horse. Former UK Children's Laureate Michael Morpurgo usually has an entire shelf dedicated to him in most British book shops and this one, written nearly 30 years ago is one I can recommend to both children and adults alike. It tells the story of Joey, a half-thoroughbred red bay bought by a drunken farmer to spite another and beloved of the farmer's son. The events of 1913
Zane Bērzleja
Grāmatas “Kara zirgs” autors ir Maikls Morpurgo. Autors visus savus 68 gadus ir pavadījis Anglijā, dzīvojis un rakstījis savus darbus, ko dara vēlaizvien. Romānu “Kara zirgs” viņš sarakstīja 1982. gadā, kas 2012. gadā tika iestudēts arī uz kino ekrāniem, piesaistīdams lielāku lasītāju loku. Notikumi vijās ap Pirmo Pasaules karu 1914. gadā, galvenokārt Francijā, un autors ir izveidojis apbrīnojamu kara romānu no savādāka skata punkta, kas ir grūti iedomājams.
Šajās lapaspusēs ir stāsts par zirga
A story told from a point of a horse who goes through many phases of war, from a farm horse to a horse who is thrown a war zone and even pushed into a "no man's land". Quite a sad story. Horses are such great animals. Even though they are not the kind of animal that show affection, they do remember if you treat them right. This book even goes as far as to say that they remember faces of those who treat them good or bad as situation might vary.

I don't know if I can watch the Spielberg's version
3.5* Grade B/B-

I bought this on a whim on during a $4.95 sale. It's under 5 hours long, but worth the price. The story is basically Black Beauty meets World War I, including being told from the horse's point-of-view. This book was more about the evil's of war than a treatise on animal cruelty, but mostly it was about hope and love and loyalty.

The narration was decent, but there was an odd sort of lilt to the voice, especially when speaking dialog.

The book was originally written in
Rating: 4,5 stars

This was such a great read for me :)

I don't like (at all!) movies narrated by animals, but "War Horse" was a total different experience, I loved it. The fact that it was written to children / teens gave it a beautiful simplicity, in my opinion.

And I confess - I cried. Twice, actually.

Shahr Baran
از اون دست تم هایی که من عاشقش هستم ..تم جنگ //اونم جنگ جهانی //انسانها //ودلبستگی هایی که نابود میشه ///من فیلمش رو دیدم عالی بود ...
The book and the movie were different in several ways. Point of view was an obvious one. Because the horse tells the story in the book, the similarities between the 2 enemy combatants are more evident. I think the author’s anti-war position comes through more clearly in the book. The part about plowing the field was also different. The scene of the selling of the horse to the army is identical.
Here are my favorite quotes:
Worked hard because of bond of trust and devotion. P. 31
“We are the same o
I was quite taken with this book. Told from the horse's view point, it's a story about Joey, a farm horse cherished by his young master, Albert. Sold off to be a cavalry horse during World War I, the two are separated, with Albert vowing to somehow find his horse again.

The horse's struggles in the battlefields of France, the variety of masters that care (or do not care) for him, and the hoped-for reunion with Albert all play a part in this story. But it is also a bit of a treatise on war, and on
I'm not one of those people who overly adore animals or audiobooks, but the narrator for this book was phenomenal. His accents for the different nationalities spurred my imagination on and made this story that much more enjoyable. Had this not been required reading I'd never have chosen to read it on my own. I would definitely mark this as a new favorite. The lessons that this book holds about war and humanity were awe inspiring. I urge everyone to read it or listen to the audiobook. War Horse c ...more
This is the third Morpurgo book I've read (the other two were Kensuke's Kingdom and the The Butterfly Lion) and I have loved every one. Think I'll read all of his work now, surely a boxset exists somewhere?

This book was fantastic. I wanted to read it before I saw the film as I like to compare (I doubt the film will disappoint to tell the truth).

This book was beautifully written, heart-wrenching (I recommend not to read this in public, I nearly started crying on the bus at one point) and poetic.
ดูภาพยนตรแลวชอบมากๆ เลยหาหนังมาสืออาน ถึงรูวาหนังสือเหมือนกับในภาพยนตรทุกระเบียด แตการเลาเรืองจะผานมุมมองของมาตัวหนึง เราแปลกใจทีมาอยางโจอีสามารถไดยินและเขาใจภาษาทุกคำทีมนุษยสือสารออกมา ทำใหเราไดเหนมุมมองอันแสนบริสุทธิของมาทีมีตอโลกใบนี แมวาโจอีจะพบการสูญเสียมากมายระหวางการเดินทาง แตมันกไมเคยยอทอ กลับเดินหนาตอไปสูเสนทางขางหนาโดยทีไมรูวามีอะไรรอมันอยู

แมวาจะดูภาพยนตรจนรูเรืองหมดแลว มาอานหนังสือซำกอีกรอบกยังประทับใจอยูดี ประทับใจในมิตรภาพและโชคชะตาทีรังสรรคใหเนือเรืองของนิยายเลมนีออกมาซาบซึงและกินใ

Ti venderò questo cavallo per un penny

Avrei dovuto leggere prima il libro e poi vedere il film, però va bene lo stesso. Il libro mi è piaciuto, anche se sono rimasta sorpresa nello scoprire che seguiva il cavallo e non il ragazzo ( colpa mia, come ho detto prima ho visto prima il film ). Comunque è scritto bene e la storia è carina, quindi è una lettura piacevole.
من فیلمشو دیدم

2015 Reading Chal...: War Horse by Michael Morpurgo 2 17 Jan 20, 2015 02:43PM
  • Firehorse
  • Blind Beauty
  • War Horse
  • The Georges and the Jewels (Horses of Oak Valley Ranch, #1)
  • Mustang: Wild Spirit of the West
  • Chicken Soup For The Horse Lover's Soul: Inspirational Stories About Horses and the People Who Love Them (Chicken Soup for the Soul)
  • Hold Your Horses: Nuggets of Truth for People Who Love Horses...No Matter What
  • Shy Boy: The Horse That Came in from the Wild
  • Shadow Horse
  • The Outside of a Horse
  • Beyond the Homestretch: What I've Learned from Saving Racehorses
  • Chosen (Canterwood Crest Super Special, #1)
  • Cracker!: The Best Dog in Vietnam
  • Paint the Wind
  • The Eighty-Dollar Champion: Snowman, the Horse That Inspired a Nation
  • The Winter Pony
  • The Horses of Proud Spirit
  • Where the Blind Horse Sings: The Uplifting Story of the Catskill Animal Sanctuary and the Animals Who Call It Home
Michael Morpurgo is the author of many books for children, five of which have been made into films. He also writes his own screenplays and libretti for opera. Born in St Albans, Hertfordshire, in 1943, he was evacuated to Cumberland during the last years of the war, then returned to London, moving later to Essex. After a brief and unsuccessful spell in the army, he took up teaching and started to ...more
More about Michael Morpurgo...

War Horse (2 books)
  • Farm Boy (War Horse, #2)

2 trivia questions
6 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“I can hate you more, but I'll never love you less.” 120 likes
“Any problem can be solved between people if only they can trust each other” 48 likes