Start by marking “A Billion for Boris” as Want to Read:
A Billion for Boris

A Billion for Boris (Andrews Family #2)

3.69  ·  Rating Details  ·  217 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Things are back to normal for Annabel Andrews since that freaky Friday when she switched bodies with her mother. She is still in love with Boris, her cute friend from upstairs, and she is still annoyed by her pesky little brother, Ape Face. But normal doesn't last long in the Andrews household!

When Ape Face fixes a broken-down television set Boris sold to him, something un
Published January 21st 2003 by HarperCollins (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about A Billion for Boris, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Billion for Boris

Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenThe Great Gatsby by F. Scott FitzgeraldSense and Sensibility by Jane AustenLove's Labor's Lost by William ShakespeareThe War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells
Alliterations
224th out of 683 books — 41 voters
1984 by George OrwellA Tale of Two Cities by Charles DickensA Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini1408 by Stephen KingCatch-22 by Joseph Heller
Great books with numbers in their titles.
128th out of 138 books — 20 voters

More lists with this book...

Stephanie
Oct 11, 2007 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who were raised by TV
OK, I know people get freaked out by the prospect of kids watching 60+ hours of television a week, but let me just say that I was one of those kids and so far I've only killed 5 people. As complete degenerates go, that's a pretty low body count.

Onward to A Billion for Boris. I love this sequel to Freaky Friday because it depicts growing up in NYC during the '70s, when networks relied on old reruns of Abbott and Costello and Torture Garden to fill its rosters. I also enjoy books about psychic ph
Shawn Thrasher
Oct 10, 2013 Shawn Thrasher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A childhood favorite, dug out of storage and re-visited - did not disappoint. So what if it's not a perfect book (the plot meanders a bit). I'm not sure if modern kids would understand or care about the book, but A Billion for Boris (along with Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing and From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler) introduced me to New York City (from a teenager of the 1970s viewpoint, at least); gave me the beginning of an appreciation for the gay voice (Annabel, on several o ...more
Jun 20, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: alltimefavorites
I first read this sequel to Freaky Friday when I was in third grade and I fell in love with Annabel, Boris, and Ape Face. I was fascinated by their life in NYC (They take the subway! They ride in cabs!) and I was totally enthralled by the idea of a television set that played tomorrow's shows. I'm happy to say that I've re-read this book many times and even in my 40's I still love it as much as I did then. I'm sure that is based somewhat on nostalgia but there are many other books that I loved in ...more
Leta
Feb 07, 2013 Leta rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Time travel back to 1974!

I read this book years ago and stumbled across it recently. The best part for me wasn't the plot (or the characters, really) but the references to so many things I remember from childhood. Worth reading just for the passing references to The Partridge Family and Motorola tvs.

And if you want to know why New Yorkers don't have the same reputation as Minnesotans, well, Annabel and Boris will walk you through it.
Josephine
Jul 09, 2014 Josephine rated it liked it
An amusing followup to Freaky Friday, though hardly a deeply analytical book. Read it, enjoy it, but don't think too hard about it and everything will be fine.
Sab
Mar 27, 2009 Sab added it
I reread this the other day; I have a first-ed copy with the Edward Gorey cover art which I LOVE, and, anyway, this remains a really truly excellent book about New Yorkers in the 70s, awkward, gawky and clever, who want to save the world and also redecorate. Mary Rodgers is of course the wit behind both "Once Upon a Mattress" and "Freaky Friday," and having been in the former musical TWICE, and having read (1) and watched (2) versions of the second I can still say, I think "A Billion for Boris" ...more
Logan L
Oct 19, 2010 Logan L rated it really liked it
I like this book because it was one of those freaky friday books. Its about a brother and sister and the brother likes fixing things. Their neighbor gives them a TV to fix because he dosen't want it anymore. The brother fixes it up and when the sister watches on it she looks at the tv guide and figures that the show that was on should be on tomorrow. You'll have to read the rest to find out about this really good book!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Patricia
Jul 10, 2012 Patricia rated it really liked it
This was a cute book about some kids who found a TV that would broadcast a day ahead. Boris and Annabel each have their reasons for wanting to know the next day's events. The book chronicles their successes and mishaps as they try to use the next day's events to their advantage. It also has a sweet storyline about Boris and his mother.
HeavyReader
I liked this book a whole lot during my youth too. I can't remember what much about it, but I remember liking it.

What I do remember: The protagonist, Boris, had a head cold. At the end of the book, folks figure out his name is really Morris. And there's money involved, but I don't remember how.
Elvia
Sep 02, 2008 Elvia rated it really liked it
Recommended to Elvia by: emiller1027@hotmail.com
Can't read Freaky Friday without going into a Billion for Boris. I would recommend it to everyone willing to relive a moment of their youth.
Eva
May 26, 2011 Eva rated it really liked it
One of the most clever books I read in junior high. I picked it up many times after I read it the first time.
Leah
Aug 15, 2011 Leah rated it really liked it
The sequel to Freaky Friday. I loved this book almost as much as the first one.
Armatstorage
Read most of this. Has some very funny descriptions, but pretty unrealistic of course.
Cupof Tea
Feb 16, 2012 Cupof Tea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My best one word description from high school was "teenage".
Amanda Wige
May 04, 2011 Amanda Wige rated it liked it
No switching just a TV that shwos things a day early.
Joanna
Jan 05, 2008 Joanna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: youngreaders-ya
Delightful sequel to Freaky Friday.
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Jennifer Hughes
Jennifer Hughes rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2016
Libbae
Libbae rated it liked it
May 27, 2016
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Elizabeth /Karra
Elizabeth /Karra rated it really liked it
Marie
Marie added it
Diana Romeo
Diana Romeo marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Ruth
Ruth rated it it was ok
Apr 24, 2016
Asia
Asia rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2016
TAMMI
TAMMI marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Kavanand
Kavanand marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
  • Until the Celebration (Green Sky, #3)
  • Confessions of an Average Half-Vampire (Book 1)
  • About the B'nai Bagels
  • The Canada Geese Quilt
  • Absolute Zero: Being the Second Part of the Bagthorpe Saga (The Bagthorpe Saga, #2)
  • Audrey's Guide to Black Magic (Audrey's Guides, #2)
  • Where's Wallace?
  • A Girl Called Al
  • Sometimes I Think I Hear My Name
  • "There Are Rocks in My Socks!" Said the Ox to the Fox
  • Image on the Edge: The Margins of Medieval Art
  • Hangin' Out with Cici
  • China Court: The Hours of a Country House
  • Anybody Can Do Anything (Betty MacDonald Memoirs, #3)
  • Chessmen of Doom
  • Fat Men From Space
Mary Rodgers was an accomplished author, screenwriter and composer. Her first book--Freaky Friday--won several prizes, and was cited on the ALA Notable Book list. She composed many musicals, and had also amassed credits in television and radio. She had served as Chairman of the Board of the Julliard School and on the Board of Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts.
More about Mary Rodgers...

Andrews Family (3 books)