Start by marking “A Billion for Boris” as Want to Read:
A Billion for Boris

A Billion for Boris (Andrews Family #2)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  200 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Things are back to normal for Annabel Andrews since that freaky Friday when she switched bodies with her mother. She is still in love with Boris, her cute friend from upstairs, and she is still annoyed by her pesky little brother, Ape Face. But normal doesn't last long in the Andrews household!

When Ape Face fixes a broken-down television set Boris sold to him, something un
Published January 21st 2003 by HarperCollins (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about A Billion for Boris, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Billion for Boris

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott FitzgeraldPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenSense and Sensibility by Jane AustenLove's Labor's Lost by William ShakespeareA Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
Alliterations
204th out of 582 books — 37 voters
1984 by George OrwellA Tale of Two Cities by Charles DickensA Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini1408 by Stephen KingCatch-22 by Joseph Heller
Great books with numbers in their titles.
128th out of 138 books — 20 voters

More lists with this book...

Stephanie
Oct 11, 2007 Stephanie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who were raised by TV
OK, I know people get freaked out by the prospect of kids watching 60+ hours of television a week, but let me just say that I was one of those kids and so far I've only killed 5 people. As complete degenerates go, that's a pretty low body count.

Onward to A Billion for Boris. I love this sequel to Freaky Friday because it depicts growing up in NYC during the '70s, when networks relied on old reruns of Abbott and Costello and Torture Garden to fill its rosters. I also enjoy books about psychic ph
Shawn Thrasher
A childhood favorite, dug out of storage and re-visited - did not disappoint. So what if it's not a perfect book (the plot meanders a bit). I'm not sure if modern kids would understand or care about the book, but A Billion for Boris (along with Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing and From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler) introduced me to New York City (from a teenager of the 1970s viewpoint, at least); gave me the beginning of an appreciation for the gay voice (Annabel, on several o ...more
I first read this sequel to Freaky Friday when I was in third grade and I fell in love with Annabel, Boris, and Ape Face. I was fascinated by their life in NYC (They take the subway! They ride in cabs!) and I was totally enthralled by the idea of a television set that played tomorrow's shows. I'm happy to say that I've re-read this book many times and even in my 40's I still love it as much as I did then. I'm sure that is based somewhat on nostalgia but there are many other books that I loved in ...more
Leta
Time travel back to 1974!

I read this book years ago and stumbled across it recently. The best part for me wasn't the plot (or the characters, really) but the references to so many things I remember from childhood. Worth reading just for the passing references to The Partridge Family and Motorola tvs.

And if you want to know why New Yorkers don't have the same reputation as Minnesotans, well, Annabel and Boris will walk you through it.
Josephine
An amusing followup to Freaky Friday, though hardly a deeply analytical book. Read it, enjoy it, but don't think too hard about it and everything will be fine.
Sab
Mar 27, 2009 Sab added it
I reread this the other day; I have a first-ed copy with the Edward Gorey cover art which I LOVE, and, anyway, this remains a really truly excellent book about New Yorkers in the 70s, awkward, gawky and clever, who want to save the world and also redecorate. Mary Rodgers is of course the wit behind both "Once Upon a Mattress" and "Freaky Friday," and having been in the former musical TWICE, and having read (1) and watched (2) versions of the second I can still say, I think "A Billion for Boris" ...more
Logan L
I like this book because it was one of those freaky friday books. Its about a brother and sister and the brother likes fixing things. Their neighbor gives them a TV to fix because he dosen't want it anymore. The brother fixes it up and when the sister watches on it she looks at the tv guide and figures that the show that was on should be on tomorrow. You'll have to read the rest to find out about this really good book!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Patricia
This was a cute book about some kids who found a TV that would broadcast a day ahead. Boris and Annabel each have their reasons for wanting to know the next day's events. The book chronicles their successes and mishaps as they try to use the next day's events to their advantage. It also has a sweet storyline about Boris and his mother.
HeavyReader
I liked this book a whole lot during my youth too. I can't remember what much about it, but I remember liking it.

What I do remember: The protagonist, Boris, had a head cold. At the end of the book, folks figure out his name is really Morris. And there's money involved, but I don't remember how.
Elvia
Sep 02, 2008 Elvia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Elvia by: emiller1027@hotmail.com
Can't read Freaky Friday without going into a Billion for Boris. I would recommend it to everyone willing to relive a moment of their youth.
Eva
One of the most clever books I read in junior high. I picked it up many times after I read it the first time.
Leah
The sequel to Freaky Friday. I loved this book almost as much as the first one.
Armatstorage
Read most of this. Has some very funny descriptions, but pretty unrealistic of course.
Cupof Tea
My best one word description from high school was "teenage".
Amanda Wige
No switching just a TV that shwos things a day early.
Joanna
Delightful sequel to Freaky Friday.
Julia H.
Julia H. marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Meghan Partch
Meghan Partch marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
Illeyana
Illeyana marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Erin Havelka
Erin Havelka marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Richa
Richa marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Until the Celebration (Green Sky, #3)
  • About the B'nai Bagels
  • Confessions of an Average Half-Vampire (Book 1)
  • Bagthorpes Unlimited: Being the Third Part of the Bagthorpe Saga (The Bagthorpe Saga, #3)
  • Audrey's Guide to Black Magic (Audrey's Guides, #2)
  • A Girl Called Al
  • Chessmen of Doom
  • I Never Loved Your Mind
  • L'Oeil du Loup
  • Time at the Top
Mary Rodgers was an accomplished author, screenwriter and composer. Her first book--Freaky Friday--won several prizes, and was cited on the ALA Notable Book list. She composed many musicals, and had also amassed credits in television and radio. She had served as Chairman of the Board of the Julliard School and on the Board of Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts.
More about Mary Rodgers...

Andrews Family (3 books)
  • Freaky Friday
  • Summer Switch
Freaky Friday Freaky Monday Summer Switch Once Upon a Mattress Once Upon a Mattress