The Cat Who Moved a Mountain

The Cat Who Moved a Mountain (Cat Who... #13)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  4,108 ratings  ·  112 reviews
Qwill's on top of the world when he rents a house on Big Potato Mountain. The owner, J.J. Hawkinfield, brought real estate development to the once-peaceful Potatoes. But Hawkinfield paid a steep price for his enterprise: He was pushed off a cliff by an angry mountain dweller. Qwilleran, however, suspects the man is innocent--and Koko's antics have him convinced something's...more
Published October 1st 1992 by Jove Books (first published 1992)

Kirsti
I still cherish the day I was going through a dusty box of books at my local charity store, and picked up three or four of Lillian Jackson Braun's wonderful books. I was instantly drawn to the idea of a crime solving cat, and decided to give them a go. I have since hunted down and read most of the series, despite the fact that they are difficult to find in both secondhand stores and libraries. I adore the world created; Qwilleran is life life with his faults, his assumptions, his delights in sma...more
MISTRESS OF AWESOME
To be frank, I don't know why people love these books.

+ Specific to The Cat Who Moved a Mountain:
- If I have to hear one more variant of "potato" used to name a place, person, group, or item, I might scream. "Spuds" vs. "Taters"... really? How can anyone read this without snorting?
- As another reviewer mentioned, we don't even meet the key characters in the crime until either late in the book or never at all. Why should I give a damn about some guy in prison if all I hear about is decorations...more
Una Tiers
The backstory was stronger than the mystery plot however, Qwilleran never fails to disappoint. His description of the dog helping him out of the woods rocks!
Mary
Feb 25, 2008 Mary rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All readers who love to escape into a book!
Sunsettowers
This is a series with its ups and downs, and unfortunately this is one of the weaker entries. It starts out very intriguing, with Qwilleran taking a vacation in a quirky mountain town to try to figure out what to do with the rest of his life, only to discover he has moved into a house where a murder occurs. The characters are all interesting and appropriately quirky, but the problem lies in the mystery seeming to be of secondhand importance to these characters-and the ending leaves a lot of ques...more
George
Aug 15, 2007 George rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery Readers
A Jim Qwilleran with his Siamese cats Koko and Yum Yum mystery. Qwill needs time off to decide whether he wants to remain in Moose County and the town of Pickax, so he takes a vacation to the Potato Mountains for the summer so he can be alone and be able to decide what he wants to do. Instead of peace and quiet, he finds an area split between those favoring development of the area and those who oppose it, strained relationships between those who consider themselves the social betters of others i...more
Kate Millin
Qwill goes to a different part of the country - the Potatoes (do they really exist or is this a real flight of fancy) where he gets annoyed by the bigotry of the better off residents when they are talking about the residents who are more in tune with the environment. KoKo helps him to solve a miscarriage of justice after which he decides to go home just as the exploitation of the hills causes an environmental disaster. His week long visit feels like a lot longer - he certainly packs a lot in.
Heather
This was a good one although I thought that Braun should have included more interactions with the murderer throughout the story - when it was revealed I felt as though it was a character that had only been mentioned in name and not really one who was part of the story. Also I could do without the repeated references to how much better Qwill's mustache is than everyone else's...we get it already.
Kelly
Marginally bearable. More time is spent with the main character picking out gifts for his ladyfriends, redecorating his house, and thinking about his mustache than is spent developing the mystery -- or even the cats! We never even meet the falsely accused character or the murder victim so it's very difficult to care.
Lisa Kucharski
A more thoughtful and toned down mystery here, on a getaway to think things over a man whose life is generally filled with mystery finds a mystery... no surprise there. However, a great deal of the story is Qwill exploring this territory and also finding himself homesick... as the calls to his hometown indicate.

Small town politics, the environment and money all collide in the mountains... and in the end, nature via the help of water - reclaims the land... or covers it.

This is a story of personal...more
Marti
While I love to refer to this series of books as my "literary guilty pleasure," this book was a bit more than just that. This novel at least lightly touched on themes of class warfare, prejudice, and environmentalism versus industrial growth. Of course, once again Qwill and Koko team up to solve a murder mystery. The writing is clever and just what this stressed out teacher coping with far too many changes on the face of education in Pennsylvania needs rught now. If you enjoy cozy mysteries, esp...more
Sue
Jim Qwilleran has completed his 5 year residency requirement in Moose County and the Klingenschoen inheritance is his. At the party to celebrate the event, friends are speculating what he will do next. He doesn't know until guests tell him about the wonderful vacation they'd taken in the Potato Mountains. Qwill wants a chance to get away are think about what to do next and, on a whim, decides to spend the summer there. After finding a place available that will let him have the cats, he packs up...more
Lorraine
Qwill has lived in Moose County for five years, and so has fulfilled the requirements of his aunt's will and is officially the heir to the millions (or is it billions) that were left to him. To celebrate, he takes the cats to the Potato Mountains, 4 days' drive away, where he has rented a huge house (it used to be a holiday home) called Tiptop, located on the very top of Big Potato mountain. After arriving, he learns that the owner of the house was murdered by falling from his deck. There is a l...more
Abbey
BOTTOM LINE: In this 13th in series, Qwilleran takes a vacation to The Potato Mountains and, as always, things become rather difficult for him. This has a good pace, and not too many coincidences, which makes it a good entry in this long series.

Another entertaining visit with Qwill and the cats as they spend a couple of weeks in a big old house on the top of a mountain, solving a murder that occurred there a year ago and for which the wrong man was convicted.

Being set in a slightly different s...more
Jason Caldwell
Qwil takes a vacation in the Potato Mountains. This small region is full of prejudice and corruption and Mr. Q ends up right in the middle of it. Even though every book in this series follows the same basic pattern, (Qwill visits a new region, finds out there was a murder, gets a tingle in his mustache, follows Koko's queues, confronts the murderer, narrowly escapes when the murder turns on him) I still enjoy every one of these books.
Carol
I love these books. This is one of her earlier ones, and they were better written than the later ones. I've read most of them and have enjoyed them very much. My Mom and and I used to get them and share them as we enjoyed them so much. My niece gave me this one. Great stuff. Recommend. Different format as he goes to Big Potato Mountains and wants to rent this gigantic house for the summer as he wants to plan out his life and have time to think. Wasn't too long before a person is murdered there,...more
Margo Mead
I found this at the library paperback exchange (they put the paperbacks on shelves and you don't have to check them out, you just write down how many you want on the clipboard, and you can bring them back whenever you want, or bring different ones back, or keep it, or whatever--somehow it works) while looking for books I could read without encountering explicit love scenes or swear words. I enjoyed the book very much. The cats' antics made me laugh out loud several times, and I enjoyed Qwilleran...more
Burke Hodgson
Qwill and the kitties always provide a fun read. I very much enjoyed this audio version of the book read by George Guidell.
Nancy
I enjoy these books because they are harmless and quick reads - a nice little mystery, 2 cats and a man (who is always interested in the women around him,) and they are squeaky clean. This installment in the series was a little different. Braun took a bit of an environmentalist tone - a rather political stand that she has never done before that I can remember. And she portrayed Qwill in a less generous light in 2 instances in this book - both in restaurants. I think she was trying to show some d...more
Jim Hager
Always enjoy this series. This particular one moved to a new locale which added some interest.
Roni
This particular, the readers could quickly read without having to encounter with explicit love scenes or swear words. As usual, the cats' antics made me giggle from time to time, and I enjoyed Qwilleran's ability to quickly make friends and figure out a mystery. On interesting note, Braun displayed a bit of an environmentalist tone - a rather political stand that she has never done before that I can recall. The ending was a bit peculiar - not all the loose ends were wrapped up.
Rebecca
Fun book. All the references to potatoes throughout the book and in every corner of Spudsborough is kind of corny but I got a chuckle out of it. One of my favorite "Cat Who" books. Just don't take it too seriously. :-)
heidi.
Listened to June 2011
George Guidall is great as a narrator.
PS I didn't know Braun had died. :(

Sometimes in a series this long and loved, you enjoy a book just because it has your friends in it.

This example though has one's friends in Qwill Koko and YumYum but this one has a bit more. I was going to say believable, but I don't know if that's quite the case. Perhaps, more willing to suspend disbelief?
Deena
My original reading notes indicate that I liked this one better than the previous title, The Cat Who Knew A Cardinal. That seems to have been partly due to the place that it didn't take place in Moose County - which was good because the crime rate there seemed pretty high. Being out of town also got Qwill away from Polly for a while, which I also appreciated because I never liked her.
Sue
I love these books. Qwill goes on an adventure to a mountain top with his feline friends, Koko and Yum Yum. If you like cats, and Siamese in particular, then you'll like this series. I have had Siamese since I was a teenager, off and on, and they certainly are interesting creatures. I learn something new about cats with every book I read in this series. Love them.
Carole
Probably closer to a 3.5, but better than the last couple. I actually like the more ecological/political bent, but that's likely because I'm on the same side of the argument. I loved the descriptions of the Taters, in particular the craftspeople and their shops. I'm still getting a vibe that something is very different about the writing style.
Dorothy
I have read almost all the books in this series but found this one I hadn't. I loved these books from the first one I found at my local library. They are a fun, not serious, read. Cats solving mysteries are in themselves a mystery. I know there will be no more of these and that makes me very sad. I recommend these to everyone.
J. Ewbank
Qwill rents a house on Big Potatio Mountain. The owner who used to grow potatoes there has gone into real estate and winds up being pushed off a cliff. The man blamed for the death Qwill and the cats think did not do it and they work on the mystery.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man and the 'Isms'"
Rachel
Another quick & easy murder mystery starring Qwill and the intelligent Koko & Yum Yum -- this one in the incongruously named Potato Mountains. With not quite a complete resolution to the mystery and further dangers ahead, this book leaves several questions in the reader's mind, leading into the next book in the series.
Laurie
fun, light hearted mysteries.
The Women's Myste...: The Cat Who Moved a Mountain #14 1 2 Aug 09, 2013 10:00PM
  • The Cat Who... Cookbook: Delicious Meals and Menus Inspired By Lilian Jackson Braun
  • Murder on the Prowl (Mrs. Murphy, #6)
  • Pussyfoot (Midnight Louie, #2)
Lilian Jackson Braun was an American writer. She is well-known for her light-hearted series of The Cat Who... mystery novels. The Cat Who books center around the life of former newspaper reporter James Qwilleran, and his two Siamese cats, KoKo and Yum Yum in the fictitious small town of Pickax located in Moose County, "400 miles north of everywhere." Although never formally stated in the books, th...more
More about Lilian Jackson Braun...
The Cat Who Could Read Backwards (Cat Who..., #1) The Cat Who Saw Red (Cat Who... #4) The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern (Cat Who..., #2) The Cat Who Played Brahms (Cat Who... #5) The Cat Who Knew Shakespeare (Cat Who..., #7)