Start by marking “Hot Stuff ” as Want to Read:
Hot Stuff

Hot Stuff (Cate Madigan #1)

3.72  ·  Rating Details ·  8,895 Ratings  ·  410 Reviews
Cate Madigan isn't asking for trouble. Her wacky Irish family is constantly playing matchmaker for her with men who leave much to be desired. All she wants is peace and quiet and a nice place to live while she saves her money from tending bar in a lively
Hardcover, Large Print, 206 pages
Published June 1st 2007 by Center Point (first published April 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Hot Stuff, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hot Stuff

Marianne
Hot Stuff is the first book in the Cate Madigan series by popular American author Janet Evanovich, written with Leanne Banks (although, to date, some nine years later, no second book has appeared). Cate Madigan is working in a bar and renting a room in the luxurious condo that belongs to the bar’s entertainer, drag-queen Marty Longfellow. When ex-cop Kellen McBride walks into the Bar, the attraction on both sides is immediate, but both Cate and Kellen are wary of involvement.

Then Marty disappea
Martha
This book was lots of fun to read. It's a screwball romantic comedy, with an assortment of quirky characters, plenty of witty dialogue, some ridiculously funny situations, a bit of a mystery, and a Bullmastiff named Beast.
Valerie
Jul 14, 2010 Valerie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
sosososososo bad. wish I could give it a zero. couldn't get through the first few pages it was so insultingly bad.
Cherise
Jul 11, 2008 Cherise rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
Hot Stuff Left Me Cold, April 9, 2007

I am a huge Janet Evanovich fan; this is not one of her better stories. The book jacket summary sounded very interesting to me, it had real potential to be a lighthearted, intriguing romance. The book started out decent enough, I immediately liked the main character, Cate, and fell for her and her crazy Irish family. At the same time I was falling for the Madigan's I was introduced to a not so loveable character, Patrick Pugg. This guy is so annoying it real
Loreta
Nov 30, 2008 Loreta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who like to laugh!
Recommended to Loreta by: Previous experience with Janet Evanovich.
Shelves: fun
This was a quick read, very amusing characters and rhetoric. There were some sexy incidents but not overly so. I found myself laughing out loud (which is usual when I read Janet Evanovich). This was a good pairing with Leanne Banks and, if they write another together, sign me up!
The main character is a student working as a bartender evenings to pay for her classes/living expenses. She rents a room from a female impersonator who disappears but sends her a big slobbery dog for protection while he'
Sarah Pecora
Jul 28, 2015 Sarah Pecora rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just Janet

The book is a typical Janet read. I enjoy her books as they are light hearted and make me smile and laugh.
Misti
Jan 20, 2011 Misti rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, romance
This was very nearly a DNF for me. I really struggled with forming an attachment to any of the characters. I found the main character, Cate, to have too little common-sense and too much trust in complete strangers. I also thought she was waaaay too naive and kind of dumb. I know this was supposed to be a light-hearted, fluffy read, but I just couldn't get behind ANY of Cate's actions. Also, there was absolutely NO emotional payoff in this book. There is a death in this book, and not one of the c ...more
Arlene
Mar 12, 2014 Arlene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
IDK how this book got past me. It was published in 2007 and I usually read Janet Evanovich books soon as they come out. I found out about it and got it right away and read it in a couple days. Its very similar to her Stephanie Plum books. So if you like those, youll like this! Cate Madigan is similar to Stephanie, tho she works at a bar and is studying to be a teacher. Kellen McBride is a private investigate, formerly a cop,,,, so similar to Joe Morelli. There's mystery, suspense, romance and of ...more
Heather
Dec 18, 2007 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't get much read in April with all the travel and visiting I was doing. I was so tired on the flight over that I stuck to sudoku and movie-watching. A fellow passenger gave me a Janet Evanovich book on our way into Portland called Hot Stuff. It was very light reading, even more so than her Stephanie Plum mysteries, but it was cute and funny and suited my mood.
Margaret
Fun, fluffy read - I needed something quick and entertaining that wouldn't require too much effort and this fit the bill. Liked the fact that it had a dog in it, Beast but thought the character of Pugg (who is not a dog) was a little over the top.
Kelly
Dec 04, 2008 Kelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice easy read my mom picked up for her trip to Hawaii and then handed off to me because it was about a young girl who lives in Boston who lives with a drag queen in Boston.

Can't imagine why she thought it would interest me.

Amy
Apr 19, 2007 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a typical Evanovich smut book. You'll laugh out loud many times. Don't know if this is the start to a new series or just a one off. It ended so if there aren't any more, that's fine. No cliffhangers or anything. Quick fun read.
Tanya
Mar 01, 2008 Tanya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an adorable book! If I didn't know better, I would think Cate Madigan and Stephanie Plum are twins! They are SO alike it's scary!! =)
Brandi
Jul 13, 2010 Brandi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wish she had more books like this. I really liked this one. She is a great author. Can't wait for the movie.
Robin
Jan 26, 2008 Robin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a big Evanovich fan, and while this isn't her Stephanie Plum character, it was still pretty good.
April
Jan 12, 2015 April rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Can't make my opinion known until after book club!
Angela Joy
May 16, 2008 Angela Joy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I laughed out loud a lot! Don't remember vulgarity in this one (as opposed to the Plum series).
Cyndi
Jun 08, 2015 Cyndi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story!! If this is #1 of the Cate Madigan series, where is #2? Need more, please.
Jessica Macri
Meh. Cute, originalish story. Pugg was annoying as hell, and Janets reflection of people's reactions in scary situations is very strange. In most of her books, someone threatens someone else, and the characters usually go about their normal lives. No extra precautions, so extra thought. Having a gun pulled one someone is just a blip in their psyche. It is very strange to me.
Marg Corjay
A light humorous romance set in Boston.
Marge
Dec 17, 2016 Marge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick read, cute story. Typical Evanovich style. She wrote this with Leanne Banks.
Theresa
Dec 28, 2016 Theresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Re-read
Elizabeth Noah Astle
A fun read.

Cate Madigan tends bar when she is not in school or studying while renting a room from Marty Longfellow.

Keller McBride (Kosner) was at the bar one evening and there is was immediate attraction between them though they both a bit hesitant to get involved.

Suddenly Marty disappears and he sends Cate a bullmastiff named Beast to help guard things as their home seems to get broken into a lot.

The is a fast read that has comedy and romance and a touch of mystery. A very hairy Patrick Pug
Sue
Title: Hot Stuff
Author: Janet Evanovich & Leanne Banks
Genre: Chick-lit/Romance
Challenges: 2009 Support Your Local Library, 20 Books in 2009, Chick Lit Challenge 2, Pages Read Challenge 2009, Books Around the States Challenge, 101 Books in 1001 Days Challenge

Rating: 5/5
No. of Pages: 352
Published: 2007
From the back:
Cate Madigan isn’t asking for trouble. Her wacky Irish family is constantly palying matchmaker for her with men who leave much to be desired. All she wants is peach and quiet and a
Nonnie Reads
Dec 23, 2016 Nonnie Reads rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
LESS THAN ONE ... should be a zero or a minus 5

If you like JANET's numbers series you might like this book as the dialouge is all Janet Evanovich ... I do not care for this book or that type of dialogue. The people in this book are too dumb and too unreal. I was looking for Leann Banks in this book... I did not find her writing style... might be the plotting / storyline but I did not find anything in it interesting. I will not be reading any other books in this series.... BIG YAWN FEST.

Usually
Nath
3.5/5 (C+)

Review: So, this book was all right in my opinion. It had it funny moments where I did laugh out loud, but that's to be expected from Ms Evanovich and Ms Banks. I'd say the book sounds a lot more like most of Ms Evanovich's books though with a very similar style. All in all, you'll get a good laugh, but it's not the best book by either author.

The Character - Cate's character was okay, except for the fact where she swore off man. I mean, I understand why, but when someone's yummy as Kel
Lindsay Boitnott
I'm jumping back on the reviewing wagon with another Janet Evanovich story. Evanovich partners with Leanne Banks to bring us Hot Stuff. This is a fun stand alone mystery novel that follows Cate Madigan as she is thrown head first in to a jewel heist mystery involving her drag queen roommate, loveable guard puppy, and hunky ex-cop Kellen McBride. The story is fast paced, fun, and makes for the perfect book to take to the beach!

Hot Stuff is one of my favorite summer reads. I usually listen to the
Susan
Dec 24, 2016 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Light, quick read. Not much of a mystery, more screwball-romance. Description says it's part of a series, hope that's true! I will definitely read more...
Jill Dunlop
Feb 26, 2010 Jill Dunlop rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cate Madigan is used to constantly having her loving Irish Catholic family setting her up with random men for dates. She is the youngest in her family and the only unmarried one. She might be used to it, but she hates it. The dates have never lived up to her expectations. She is twenty-six and a student trying to get her teaching degree. She figures if she can handle four brothers, then a classroom of 8 year olds should be a piece of cake. When Cate is not in school she is tending bar at a local ...more
Tigger
Jul 20, 2009 Tigger rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2009
Join in the discussions! 4 15 Apr 14, 2013 09:16AM
  • Hero at Large
  • The Plot Thickens (Fearless Jones, #0.5)
  • Foul Play (Sofie Metropolis, #3)
  • Beware of Doug (Guys & Dogs, #2)
  • Bubbles All The Way (Bubbles Yablonsky, #6)
  • Summer Lovin' (Costas Sisters, #2)
  • Hot & Bothered (Marine, #3)
  • Threat of Darkness
  • Nutcase (Crazy, #2)
  • Underfoot (Bellagio #2)
  • Pink Jinx (Jinx, #1; Cajun, #5)
  • Strange Bedpersons
More about Janet Evanovich...

“She doesn’t know,” Cate said. “Kellen is a secret. I didn’t think my mother would approve.”

“Why wouldn’t your mother approve?” Pugg asked.

“It’s my job,” Kellen said. “I kill people. It pays well, but it’s not universally socially acceptable.”
9 likes