Start by marking “Where Have You Been?” as Want to Read:
Where Have You Been?

Where Have You Been?

Susan and Ed Middleton are perfectly content with their lives. Two kids, two cars, a solid brick bungalow in a respectable Northern beaches suburb.

But when Susan's older sister, who vanished as a teenager, reappears to claim an inheritance, everything is set to change.
Published February 2010 by UWA Press

To ask other readers questions about Where Have You Been?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where Have You Been?

Nomes

Where Have You Been is a Australian psychological thriller.

Susan's older sister was last seen on the night of her high school formal and her disappearance sparked investigations (which led nowhere) and left her family shattered: eventually her parents divorced, her mother descended into obsession and a mild madness.

Twenty years later, Susan is the picture of domestic bliss: happily married to her college sweetheart, two children & financially well-off. Until her mum dies and leaves
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
Mar 25, 2012 Shelleyrae at Book'd Out rated it really liked it
Shelves: aussie-author

Earlier this year I read The Mistake by Wendy James and promptly added her backlist to my wishlist. Where have You Been? was long listed for the Ned Kelly Award in 2010, and is a gripping psychological thriller.

When Susan was just eight her adored teenage half sister, Karen, disappeared on her way to her school formal, and was never found. More than twenty years later Susan is shocked to discover her mother's will divides her sizable estate between Susan and her missing sister. Though legally r
Helen McKenna
Having recently read Wendy's most recent novel The Mistake, I couldn't wait to read another one of her books and Where Have You Been was also a gripping read.

Susan Middleton is living a comfortable suburban life in Sydney. Married to the unexciting but stable Ed and with two young children, she has managed to overcome the trauma of seeing her older sister disappear more than twenty years before and watching her mother suffer mental illness until her recent death. Her mother's will, however, has
Brenda
May 02, 2012 Brenda rated it really liked it
As a young girl, Susan loved and adored her big sister Karen. So on the night of Karen’s school formal, Susan sat and watched her getting ready, with her beautiful dress, gorgeous hair and make-up making Susan very happy. But that was probably the last time she was happy, as Karen didn’t return from the formal, and upon investigation, it seemed she didn’t even arrive. She disappeared between home and her girlfriend’s house and no trace of her was ever found.

Susan’s family life shattered, her Mu
Karen
What would you do if your teenage sister just simply disappeared when you were a little girl. And then reappeared at about the same time as your mother's estate was to be distributed?

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN? by Wendy James explores what Susan and Ed Middleton do when Susan's long-lost sister Karen - now known as Carly - reappears in response to a lawyer's advertisement. Susan isn't sure she'll be able to identify her sister, and Carly is definitely not the same sort of woman as Susan - but there do
Jenn McLeod
May 03, 2016 Jenn McLeod rated it really liked it
The restraint shown by the author in the telling of this story is terrific. I am so used to psychological thrillers being edge of your seat reads (they kind of miss the psychological bit!!!) But the characters in this story truly did play with my head. It took a while to see where the story was going, but once I got an inkling, I could not put the book down. The writing is not overdone, as is the case with some thrillers. Incredible characterisation. This would make a great movie. Suburban noir ...more
Barbara Dawson
Apr 10, 2014 Barbara Dawson rated it liked it
Hmmm. Quite a different plot structure. The ending..... ??? It could go either way. Would a happy ever after ending be more satisfying than one that is not? Do we favour novels that reflect our life or do we enjoy ones that don't ? I have to admit I read the ending before I finished but it really did not enlighten me all that much, though my suspicions were confirmed. But there is a sting in the tale. Or is there?? An ebook from ACT Library.
Maryan Heffernan
May 30, 2010 Maryan Heffernan rated it really liked it

Wendy James has written an engrossing mystery with Where Have You Been? which plunges the reader straight into the characters and their growth right from the prologue.
Karen is seventeen when she floats off to her high school formal looking like Cinderella, according to her baby sister Susan, and is never seen again. Twenty years later when Susan's mother dies and leaves her estate divided equally to both girls. What to do when Karen is presumed dead?
Susan, husband Ed and their two children's rat
Carolyn Mck
Jan 08, 2016 Carolyn Mck rated it liked it
Karen Brown reappears after being missing for twenty years. Is she really Susan’s lost sister or is she an imposter? The novel is written from three points of view: Susan, her ‘everyman’ husband Ed and occasionally from Karen’s (or Carly as she now calls herself). The novel is well written, tense, at times humorous and touching but in the end has too many incidents and characters’ actions that lack credibility.
Maria Stringer
Mar 06, 2014 Maria Stringer rated it liked it
I found this book to be quite frustrating to read! The general plot was good but I felt the characters were hard to believe. The ending paragraph left me with questions.... I really don't like books that leave things "up in the air". I would like to know if anyone else thought the ending strange, especially the reflection of Susan and the mirror.
Dee
Apr 11, 2014 Dee rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-fiction
This is my 2nd Wendy James and I'm liking her tone and creation of voice. There are some recognisable characterisations, all familiar all adding to the ordinariness of suburban life making the plot all the more frightening. Wheel done and a lovely clever twist at the end.
Allison Farr
Jan 26, 2013 Allison Farr rated it really liked it
Keeps you guessing til the end.
Sonja
Sonja rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2014
Liz
Liz rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2010
Polyxena
Polyxena rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2010
Janet Burnett
Janet Burnett rated it liked it
Dec 22, 2013
Kate
Kate rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2015
Bee
Bee rated it it was ok
Nov 04, 2013
Kylie
Kylie rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2012
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2012
Mandy
Mandy rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2016
Matthew
Matthew rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2012
Emma
Emma rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2012
Shae Souter
Shae Souter rated it did not like it
Jun 22, 2015
Wendy Pruis
Wendy Pruis rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2014
Noodle
Noodle rated it it was ok
Feb 02, 2016
Robyn Holliday
Robyn Holliday rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2015
Cyber
Cyber rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2015
Sharon Noble
Sharon Noble rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2014
Vivi Widodo
Vivi Widodo rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2014
Wendy James is the author of seven books, including The Mistake (2012) and Out of the Silence, which won the 2006 Ned Kelly Award for Best First Crime fiction and was shortlisted for the Nita May Dobbie Award for women’s writing. Her latest novel is The Golden Child (2017). She currently lives in Newcastle, New South Wales with her husband and two of their four children.
More about Wendy James...