Where Have You Been?

Where Have You Been?

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  34 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Susan and Ed Middleton are perfectly content with their lives. Two kids, two cars, a solid brick bungalow in a respectable Northern beaches suburb.

But when Susan's older sister, who vanished as a teenager, reappears to claim an inheritance, everything is set to change.
Published February 2010 by UWA Press

Nomes

Where Have You Been is a Australian psychological thriller.

Susan's older sister was last seen on the night of her high school formal and her disappearance sparked investigations (which led nowhere) and left her family shattered: eventually her parents divorced, her mother descended into obsession and a mild madness.

Twenty years later, Susan is the picture of domestic bliss: happily married to her college sweetheart, two children & financially well-off. Until her mum dies and leaves...more
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

Earlier this year I read The Mistake by Wendy James and promptly added her backlist to my wishlist. Where have You Been? was long listed for the Ned Kelly Award in 2010, and is a gripping psychological thriller.

When Susan was just eight her adored teenage half sister, Karen, disappeared on her way to her school formal, and was never found. More than twenty years later Susan is shocked to discover her mother's will divides her sizable estate between Susan and her missing sister. Though legally r...more
Brenda
As a young girl, Susan loved and adored her big sister Karen. So on the night of Karen’s school formal, Susan sat and watched her getting ready, with her beautiful dress, gorgeous hair and make-up making Susan very happy. But that was probably the last time she was happy, as Karen didn’t return from the formal, and upon investigation, it seemed she didn’t even arrive. She disappeared between home and her girlfriend’s house and no trace of her was ever found.

Susan’s family life shattered, her Mu...more
Helen McKenna
Having recently read Wendy's most recent novel The Mistake, I couldn't wait to read another one of her books and Where Have You Been was also a gripping read.

Susan Middleton is living a comfortable suburban life in Sydney. Married to the unexciting but stable Ed and with two young children, she has managed to overcome the trauma of seeing her older sister disappear more than twenty years before and watching her mother suffer mental illness until her recent death. Her mother's will, however, has...more
Karen
What would you do if your teenage sister just simply disappeared when you were a little girl. And then reappeared at about the same time as your mother's estate was to be distributed?

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN? by Wendy James explores what Susan and Ed Middleton do when Susan's long-lost sister Karen - now known as Carly - reappears in response to a lawyer's advertisement. Susan isn't sure she'll be able to identify her sister, and Carly is definitely not the same sort of woman as Susan - but there do...more
Maryan

Wendy James has written an engrossing mystery with Where Have You Been? which plunges the reader straight into the characters and their growth right from the prologue.
Karen is seventeen when she floats off to her high school formal looking like Cinderella, according to her baby sister Susan, and is never seen again. Twenty years later when Susan's mother dies and leaves her estate divided equally to both girls. What to do when Karen is presumed dead?
Susan, husband Ed and their two children's rat...more
Barbara Dawson
Hmmm. Quite a different plot structure. The ending..... ??? It could go either way. Would a happy ever after ending be more satisfying than one that is not? Do we favour novels that reflect our life or do we enjoy ones that don't ? I have to admit I read the ending before I finished but it really did not enlighten me all that much, though my suspicions were confirmed. But there is a sting in the tale. Or is there?? An ebook from ACT Library.
Dee Cameron
This is my 2nd Wendy James and I'm liking her tone and creation of voice. There are some recognisable characterisations, all familiar all adding to the ordinariness of suburban life making the plot all the more frightening. Wheel done and a lovely clever twist at the end.
Maria Stringer
I found this book to be quite frustrating to read! The general plot was good but I felt the characters were hard to believe. The ending paragraph left me with questions.... I really don't like books that leave things "up in the air". I would like to know if anyone else thought the ending strange, especially the reflection of Susan and the mirror.
Allison Farr
Keeps you guessing til the end.
Naomi
Naomi marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Carly
Carly marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Melinda
Melinda marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Mia
Mia marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Lauren Fleming
Lauren Fleming marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Tanya
Tanya marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2014
Shane Dougall
Shane Dougall marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2014
Davis Goodman
Davis Goodman marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2013
Jayne Lyn Lamb
Jayne Lyn Lamb marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2013
Shweeeeeet101
Shweeeeeet101 marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Wendy James is the author of six books, including The Mistake (2012) and Out of the Silence, which won the 2006 Ned Kelly Award for Best First Crime fiction and was shortlisted for the Nita May Dobbie Award for women’s writing. She currently lives in Newcastle, New South Wales with her husband and two of their four children.
More about Wendy James...
The Mistake The Lost Girls The Steele Diaries Out of the Silence : A Story of Love, Betrayal, Politics and Murder Why She Loves Him