Start by marking “Conventions of War” as Want to Read:
Conventions of War

Conventions of War (Dread Empire's Fall #3)

3.84  ·  Rating Details ·  1,116 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
The universe has fallen into bloody chaos now that the dread empire of the tyrannical Shaa is no more -- at the mercy of the merciless insectoid Naxid, who now hunger for domination. But the far-flung human descendants of Terra have finally tasted liberty, and their warrior heroes will not submit. Separated by light-years, Lord Gareth Martinez and the mysterious guerrilla ...more
Published October 4th 2005 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published September 27th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Conventions of War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conventions of War

Peter Walton-Jones
May 07, 2011 Peter Walton-Jones rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, space-opera
While it will not stick in the memory as a major classic, I have enjoyed this series. Conventions of War concludes the sequence and provides a satisfying finale. The characters (Sula and Martinez in particular) are interesting and engaging. The themes of class and difference are important to the story but do not take it over.

The space travel narratives are interesting for the wormholes and the gravities experienced during accelerations. Williams fills in the time gaps here with a murder mystery
Brian
Jan 03, 2011 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me almost three years to finish this series, but i'm glad I did.
On the surface this book seems like a typical science fantasy/space opera epic. Humans have left earth and colonized space and joined an empire comprised of many other races. But when the empire falls apart, humanity goes to war with its millions strong armed forces. But this story isn't about a struggle vs good and evil, instead it focuses on the surreal lives of the people in command and the absurd social situations they
Chris
Jun 06, 2010 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
I've been thinking a lot about what makes this series more successful than Implied Spaces, and eventually realized that you can tell the two heroes and one other character are smart, because nobody else in the whole 3 books ever has a bright or novel idea. I realize it's a stagnant society, but that seems extreme.
Larry Kenney
Another great book in the series. It wasn't quite as enjoyable as the first two in the series, I thought, as the relationship between Martinez and Sula has changed quite a bit, but over all a very enjoyable read. I'm hoping for more in this series!
Bill
May 22, 2012 Bill rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
No real tension. I never felt like I got to understand the Shaa or Praxis enough. I knew our "heroes" would win battles and didn't really care one way or the other.
Gwen
Jun 27, 2009 Gwen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Long live the Praxis! I WANT MORE!!!
Lars Klander
Jan 25, 2017 Lars Klander rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great conclusion to a solid trilogy

Well considered, well researched, and well implemented. I have never understood why this series was not more highly though of. The blend of battle and politics is excellent and the human relations are extremely well documented.

Great read. All three of them.
Targle
Feb 22, 2017 Targle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing

This is book three. Read the series in order.
Once you've finished book one there is no chance that you'll fail to get here and no words of mine would stop you reading it.

Nor should they, these books are truly fantastic.

Enjoy.
Gary L Rau
Jan 13, 2017 Gary L Rau rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding military fiction

Just finished rereading the original trilogy, preparing for the sequels ...

Great character development, good insight into military tactics, counterinsurgency tactics, politics and human interaction.
Cromm Krommlach
Good, very good but the finish to the romantic story left a huge distaste.
Rob
May 11, 2010 Rob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Conventions of War is the third and final novel in Williams' Dread Empire's Fall series. Lady Caroline Sula leads the guerrilla war against the rebellious Naxids on the Empire's occupied capital world of Zanshaa, while Lord Gareth Martinez commands a battleship in the Fleet task force waging a war of attrition on the enemy's economic heartland a la Sherman's “March to the Sea.”

I can't say much more about the plot without giving it away, but I can say the book wraps up the series with an endin
Jim
Jul 20, 2012 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a re-read for me. I read the Dread Empire trilogy years ago and rembered it as a rousin space opera. My memory was that it was an excellent epic with lots of space battles. Well, my memory was partially correct. There are some space battles, though nearly as many as I remembered, which are all brilliantly plotted and presented. There is also a substantial amount of politics, class warfare (particularly relevent with today's "1%" disputes), and interesting aliens, which I had forgotten ne ...more
D.w.
Aug 11, 2013 D.w. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, reviewed
The series comes to an end and better than some. We have a rebellious population in the capital, and some shortcuts are taken when the typical foolishness we have come to suspect from the command structure is again displayed.

At some point there should have been a great many other smart people out of the billions to draw from. There wasn't and that is sad. Further, much of this book follows the tale of the second hero, and the first is relegated to a mystery that there are too few clues for all t
Youko
Jan 04, 2016 Youko rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
The civil war continues in Conventions of War, and it sure felt like it could've come to a close a lot faster. This was one of those books at I feel could've been cut down by half, ad it would've benefited enormously. The whole murder-mystery bit on Martinez's ship was a colossal waste of pages for me. I do enjoy a good mystery, I even enjoy a good genre-blending mystery (see Leviathan Wakes or Something Coming Through for good examples) but I did not like how that element came out of nowhere in ...more
Pie Pie
Aug 26, 2014 Pie Pie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The final book in the Praxis series. I call it the Praxis series because all three books wrestle with the idea of final knowledge. The Praxis teaches that everything important is known and that intelligent species can take comfort in that fact instead of believing in the unknown. This book deals with not only the spiritual side of this ideology but also the logical side of it. It explains the former without getting preachy and outright invalidates the latter.

Even though the book's ending isn't 1
Tom
Jan 19, 2015 Tom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To avoid spoilers I will avoid discussion of the plot here as much as possible since this is the third book in a trilogy. That said, it is difficult to talk about whether the conclusion to the Dread Empire's Fall arc succeeds or fails without SOME possible spoilers.

Certainly, I enjoyed this book as much as the previous two but its ending seems to leave open a great many questions. So many, in fact, that I believe that the author plans to return to this universe at a later date. Also, it is hard
Chad
Apr 11, 2015 Chad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had never read a sci-fi book before when I picked up the first book The Praxis from a book sale in my town. I started reading the book expecting a cheesy space story, I was surprised and glad that I was wrong.
I was actually enjoying the book immensely when half way through the first book I was dismayed when I found out that it was actually the first book in a trilogy! I immediately ordered the other two online and read them both within two weeks of getting them.
The characters of Martinez and S
Bill Mead
Jul 19, 2015 Bill Mead rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review applies to the three books in the series, which are really one whole story. The story gets started slowly, but by the time I got to the end of the third book, I couldn't put it down. Now I am going to miss the characters I have gotten to know so well.

The story is well written for the most part, with lots of great detail and a well fleshed out universe.

Why not five stars? The characters from other species are pretty flat and cartoonish. I can't imagine a universe where all these races
Wes
Jan 06, 2013 Wes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It starts out really slow, almost painfully so, but by the middle the pace has picked up considerably. As usual there's a lot of political intrigue and character drama, and surprisingly enough there's a murder mystery tossed into the mix as well. While it kinda throws off the pace a little bit, I was pleasantly surprised by how well it was handled, and it was quite complementary to the plot, to be sure. And its all tied together with a wonderfully crafted climax.
Of course, this book seems to ha
Lynnda Ell
Conventions of War is a fitting end to the Dread Empire's Fall. Lady Sula and Martinez manage to keep the war going from their own unique bases long enough to throw momentum towards the loyalists. As in real life, the ending is just the prequel to the rest of the story. Even though a temporary peace breaks out, Mr. Williams leaves plenty of room for another three-volume book in his universe. I hope he sees fit to write more stories for this series.

By-the-way, if you're interested, may rating fo
Mike
Jan 25, 2008 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: SciFi combat, hard science fans
Shelves: scifi
A good but not great close to a fine trilogy. I enjoyed the wide-ranging space opera but felt like there could have been more interesting areas to explore. The society and structure of the empire was ripe for cataclysmic changes but everyone seemd ready to revert to the aristocracy over the common man theme. The heroes are pretty much Terran but I thought there could have been some really interesting non-Terran characters. Maybe he will develop this in future stories--he seemed to leave the door ...more
Luka Novak
Dec 08, 2012 Luka Novak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military, fiction
Decent end of a trilogy. Main characters continue to struggle with orthodoxy everywhere, despite showing their ideas are superior. Post war end is book's best part. Instead of happy ending we get more realistic one and instead of universe changing to what we think should exist we see old wolrd reaserting itself.

The book is not as strong as previous two but brings story to an end, ties up major loose ends and open threads. And there are enough seeds for next conflict should Williams decide to con
Tbloxham
Jan 06, 2010 Tbloxham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent end to the Dread Empires fall trilogy, although I feel there is definately more exploring to do in the universe Williams has created. Conventions has more of the great 'realistic' space battles which made the first so much fun, it still suffers of course from the female character being a bit too mercenary in her affections, and the male character being deliberately reticent in pushing himself forward as the real hero, but both were believable characters
Kerry
Aug 16, 2015 Kerry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The third in the series and a thoroughly enjoyable wrap up to the saga. Out of the three books I perhaps enjoyed 1 and 3 the best, feeling that 2 was less than the others. 3 is quite long and has many subplots that eventually wind around to the climactic space battle and denouement. By the time all is done Lady Sula and Martinez are not to be easily forgotten.
Brendan
Dec 28, 2008 Brendan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The actual plot/story ending to the series is rather obvious from some time in the second book on, and there were really no surprises, so the weight of this final installment rests on the characters. Sadly, their ending is not one I liked - it left me feeling kind of empty and disappointed. Still, a good read, and totally worth it if you've already started the series.
Adrian Hunter
Jan 29, 2013 Adrian Hunter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
hard science fiction is where i live. so conventions of war, with non relativistic travel and hard gees and decelerations was good for me. the two story lines of martinez and sula meshed nicely, and the waging of both a guerrilla war and space battles changed things up often enough to involve and make you want the next chapter.
Jenine
May 07, 2013 Jenine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My husband encouraged me to skip over the entire murder mystery subplot on board the spaceship. I did and I ended up skimming plenty of the space war strategy and battle events as well. I got tired of Sula on planet but that certainly ended up with a bang (more than one). I liked the ending very much. It was a bait and switch in the best sense. First book of the series is my fave.
September
Mar 01, 2008 September rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to September by: George R.R. Martin
Shelves: sci-fi, trilogies
Niall519
Reasonably satisfying conclusion to the trilogy. The almost completely unresolved romance was a surprising feature from a male author - possibly even more maddening than Mulder and Scully in the X Files.
Andy S
Mar 04, 2008 Andy S rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my least favorite of the three Dread Empire's Fall series; the character revelations had all already taken place and all that was left was the resolution of the war. Enjoyable, but not as intriguing.
  • Gardens of the Sun (The Quiet War #2)
  • Path of the Fury
  • The Well of Stars (Marrow, #2)
  • The Road of Danger (Lt. Leary, #9)
  • Grand Central Arena  (Grand Central Arena #1)
  • Learning the World: A Scientific Romance
  • Death's Head (Death's Head #1)
  • Marque and Reprisal (Vatta's War, #2)
  • Strength and Honor (Tour of the Merrimack, #4)
  • No Honor in Death (Siobhan Dunmoore Book 1)
  • The Eternal Flame  (Orthogonal Trilogy, #2)
  • The Ecologic Secession (Ecolitan Matter, #2)
Walter Jon Williams has published twenty novels and short fiction collections. Most are science fiction or fantasy -Hardwired, Voice of the Whirlwind, Aristoi, Metropolitan, City on Fire to name just a few - a few are historical adventures, and the most recent, The Rift, is a disaster novel in which "I just basically pound a part of the planet down to bedrock." And that's just the opening chapters ...more
More about Walter Jon Williams...

Dread Empire's Fall (3 books)
  • The Praxis (Dread Empire's Fall, #1)
  • The Sundering (Dread Empire's Fall, #2)