Start by marking “Young Guinevere” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Young Guinevere

Robert D. San Souci

Young Guinevere

Set in Medieval Europe, this is Robert San Souci's magical tale of Guinevere--from her childhood to her marriage to King Arthur. When Guinevere's father's castle is besieged by invaders, she must travel through the forest and cross the perilous river in search of young King Arthur. Their fateful meeting leads to the fulfillment of Guinevere's destiny and her betrothal to K ...more
Published (first published February 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Young Guinevere, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Young Guinevere

Isabel
Feb 14, 2011 Isabel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This was an OK book. I loved the colors in the illustrations, but the images were a little lacking. A bit too cartoony and relied heavily on front views. The illustrator seemed to have trouble with profile shots. The story was clear and offered a pretty good version of the possible story of Guinevere's childhood days. It sort of lacked the magic and mystery I'd've expected from this genre, though.
Nathaniel Gage
Sep 03, 2011 Nathaniel Gage rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this when I was very young; only in third grade, if I remember right. Robert San Souci visited my school, and at the time I was very deep into a fascination with all things medieval: castles, knights, chivalry and honor, and all things to do with Arthurian legend. So naturally, I asked for--and thanks to my parents, received--three of San Souci's books. This one was among them, and is probably my favorite.

I've re-read this dozens of times over the years, and somehow it continues to captiv
Alyssa
Oct 27, 2014 Alyssa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75 stars. Nice art--I didn't find it particularly compelling at first, but then I read about the illustrator's inspiration taken from the Book of Kells and the Bayeux Tapestry, which made me take more interest in it. The story itself is a nice adventure with lovely mythic touches woven in. I don't know much about Arthurian legend, and when the author noted that he took inspiration from/pieced this tale of young Guinevere together from bits and bobs in various songs, legends, poems, etc. it mad ...more
Cassandra
Feb 26, 2013 Cassandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is one of my favorite books from my childhood. I used to spend ages staring at the pictures and reading it over and over again. It inspired many of my playtime adventures in my backyard while growing up. I love it so much that when my copy came up missing I got the hardback edition to replace it.
Dylan
Jul 27, 2014 Dylan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Lovely art and a good story, a sort of prequel to the Guinevere of King Arthur tales. She begins as a strong female protagonist, but ultimately becomes a maiden defined by Arthur and marriage. It's too bad that her agency erodes as the book ends.
Kara
Feb 14, 2011 Kara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: king-arthur

The illustrations are a bit flat and the text never really grabs you.

Also, the “love” story is very forced. Am I the only one creeped out by the middle aged Authur leering at the young teen Guinevere?
Michael Fitzgerald
Disappointing. Text does not ring true, and illustrations are sometimes awkward in depiction of human figures.
Teri
May 04, 2013 Teri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-ages
WOW!!! So enchanting! My 6-year old keeps reading it over and over. It's the perfect companion for learning about the legends of King Arthur. Can't wait to read a whole lot more by this author.
InkyMage
InkyMage rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2016
Jennifer rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2013
Mia
Mia rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2011
Raleigh1122
Raleigh1122 rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2012
Meredith
Meredith rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2016
Kelly
Kelly rated it it was ok
Aug 19, 2014
Diana
Diana rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2010
Jess
Jess rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2016
Katie Loucks
Katie Loucks rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2016
Carlin
Carlin rated it it was amazing
Oct 30, 2009
Perri McGowan
Perri McGowan rated it really liked it
May 31, 2012
Becky
Becky rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2013
Una
Una rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2015
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
May 07, 2015
Alan Kin
Alan Kin rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2015
Kate
Kate rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2007
Kelli
Kelli rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2013
Miyalita
Miyalita rated it liked it
Nov 04, 2013
Mee
Mee rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2012
Hayley
Hayley rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2008
LeeAnn
LeeAnn rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2017
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2012
  • Patrick: Patron Saint of Ireland
  • The Classic Fairy Tales
  • The Kitchen Knight: A Tale of King Arthur
  • The Golden Mare, the Firebird, and the Magic Ring
  • Where's Walrus? And Penguin?
  • Rapunzel
Mr. San Souci lives in San Francisco, California.
More about Robert D. San Souci...