Start by marking “Finding Zach” as Want to Read:
Finding Zach

Finding Zach (Finding Zach #1)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  2,847 ratings  ·  336 reviews
For five years, Zach Tyler, son of one of the worlds richest software moguls, was held hostage, tortured, and abused. When he is rescued at last from the Venezuelan jungle, he is physically and psychologically shattered, but he slowly begins to rebuild the life he should have had before an innocent kiss sent him into hell. His childhood best friend David has lived those ye ...more
Published May 7th 2010 by Dreamspinner Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Finding Zach, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finding Zach

MsMiz (Tina)
Dear Person who recommended this book -

Next time it may be quicker to have you plunge a knife in my chest, dig around a bit, cut out my heart, toss it on the ground while rolling it in dirt and rocks. Then have my heart run over by a couple of cars at which time you can put it back sew me up for the HEA. Basically, that is what this book did. Tragic and beautiful what us mere mortals can overcome.

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine...
4.5/5.0

Finding Zach is the story of a 15 year old young man who was taken hostage and held for ransom in the Venezuelan jungle. Even though the 10 million dollar ransom had been paid, Zach wasn’t released and endured 5 years of being starved, tortured, raped and caged like a dog until he was found, quite by accident, during a mission to rescue some other hostages. Now, reunited with his family Zach has to learn to trust and love again, and that includes trusting and loving himself.

The story didn
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Rowan Speedwell.... HOLY CRAP! You killed this one! I loved it. I loved this book so hard. It tore me down and then put me back together. I cried and clutched my kindle and could NOT put it down. Easily makes my 2013 favorites list. ::Standing ovation::

Yet again, this is another book that I refused to read the blurb of before I started. I went into this book blind and was totally shocked and horrified during the first chapter of the book. I was beside myself and, frankly, still am when I think
Vilda
'"You don't have to win the game, Zach," David said quietly, "you just have to play."'

While not quite what I expected, Finding Zach didn't disappoint. Although what happens was truly awful, and my heart was aching for Zach the entire time (both for trying to live in the now and glances from the past), it's also sweet, full of hope and emotional in that positive way. Like when Zach realizes David loves him and that he loves him too, that he needs him, and dealing with it all after everything tha
Nick Pageant

Spoilerish Review!

So, I read this book in french with Mish. It could be that I missed something and it deserves an extra star, but I'm going for four. I gained a whole new level of respect for Giulio, Marco, and Marte while reading this book. To read in a second language is a real challenge and I'm amazed by these three, and all my other friends who read in a second language.
This is not an easy read emotionally. There is a lot of physical and sexual abuse in the MC's background. I don't mind rea
Susan

*sigh* Oh, to be loved as David loved Zach.

“Finding Zach” is a book equal parts horrific, tragic, heartbreaking, sensual, victorious, and loving. It touches on themes of kidnapping, abuse, family, young love, healing, and PTSD. You’d think you’d go dizzy with ALL of that. But, I found myself just feeling FULL at the end…in the best way…

The loveliest part of this book, and the center of everything, is the relationship between Zach (a boy kidnapped and tortured at the age of 15 for 5 years) and D
Christina
2.5 Stars

This book was like being on a seesaw. I'm going to be the odd one out here, but I didn't believe Zach's story. There were so many touching and heart-wrenching parts that drew me in to Zach's pain and his heart but there was always something that tore me out of the story. Notably, pointless POV changes, frequent angsty misunderstandings, and head-hopping. This story had so much potential. There were some flashes of beautiful writing but as a whole it wasn't well executed.

I was happy the
Heather C
What to say? Where to begin? The books I love always seem to leave me speechless! Soit seemsthis is another one of those books.

So I think I will just make a list of...my opinions:

♦ I read it straight through all in one day

♦ I had no idea what it was about before I started.

♦ I loved every word of it.

♦ It was beautiful

♦ It was sad, but I didn't cry.

♦ It was angsty, but not too angsty for me.

♦ It felt real.

♦ Zach was stronger than anyone gave him credit for.

♦ David had the patience of a saint.

♦ Th
Serena Yates
This is an amazing story about the ability of the human spirit to endure the most horrendous situations - and come out, if not unblemished, whole enough to have another go at leading a fulfilled life.

It is not a book where I can simply say "I loved the book" and give a list of reasons. The truth is, I didn't love all of the book because the thought of a human being, Zach in this case, having to go through such suffering and torture is not something I can "love" reading about.

The reason I gave it
Gina

This was about a young man of 15, kidnapped, tortured, raped, held prisoner in a cage, treated like his captors dog for 5 grueling years. Then by a fluke Zach is saved and given back to his family. this book was about Zach's path back, the courage, the strength, the will to not give up.

And this was about his best friend David, and David's guilt over what he perceived as his part in Zach being kidnapped. And David finding a way to convince Zach that he loves him and wants to be with him.

I loved t
Imogen
urmm...it was not as angsty as I'd hoped, which was disappointing. This story has the potential to be quite an emotional roller coaster ride, but it fell short of expectation. It might sounds a little messed up on my part, but Zach was not emotionally damaged enough for me. Considering how f*cked up, figuratively and literally, he was by what happened to him, I thought he should have been a bit more, I don't know...unbalanced? skittish? insane? ...something that would more strongly conveys how t ...more
SueC
Yes, oh yes. My dear friends, this is what I've been waiting for... I's been so long since I've felt moved by an honest-to-goodness romance. And Finding Zach has romance in abundance.

Here's the things I'd like you all to know.
- It made me cry tears of joy
- It is now in my favorite reads of 2013
- It was a pleasure to read. There was no fuss in the writing, just words that somehow carried the story along. Really effortless reading
- The sex scenes are delicious
- The secondary characters were are d
Betryal
It was a fawking bloody disaster....

Gotcha! Caught your attention didn't I? Just yanking but it works. LOL Well, relax, I'm not talking about the book. I'm talking about the story in and of itself. The cluster fawk of events, the circumstances and what made this story so gut wrenching, hard to stomach and one that should win an award for best novel for 2010. So far.

What this story brought on was: I was sickened by the details of pain, the suffering, the years of endless torture and mistreatment
deirdre
morning clarity?? not certain . . .

*4 star read.
*powerful
*well developed characters
*well developed plot/story arc, but i needed more. that punch or spark with the climax of the story didn't happen for me
*intense opening grabbed me immediately. but intensity not rebuilt or maintained
*can easily feel the relationship between the two MCs
*POV shifts done well
*****WORTH THE READ

but . . . .there is always a but, lol
here are my thought immediately after completing the book

Ok. Huff. Pause..............
LisaT - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog LisaT131
~~~

4 Strong Stars -

Powerful. This book gives us a hard, deep look behind the effects of utterly inhuman treatment and how, for Zach Tyler, he even begins to find himself again.

Hatred, anger, torture, inhumanity, shame, a beaten and defeated spirit how can a human be whole again? Through love, tough love, friendship, devotion, sex, tenderness, honesty and patience. It's all in this one book, an amazing journey that may not be for everyone. I very much recommend this read, if you can stomach some
Cory
This is definitely not your boy meets boy, boy dates boy, boy has sex with boy, and boys live happily ever after type of story. It's so much better than that.

If you read the blurb about the book, you pretty much know what happens to Zach. Abducted and tortured for five years, and then rescued and returned home. This is the story of not only how he was before he was kidnapped, but how he is after.

There are definitely parts that aren't easy to read. But the main focus of the book surrounds the re
Monique ~ Sinfully Sexy Book Reviews
This was an Audio book. Great story, great characters, heartbreaking at times...but I loved it....:D
Kaje Harper
One of the things I liked about this book was that it surprised me several times, in ways both large and small. Given the abuse that Zach suffered, I thought the timeline was realistic. Years of therapy and residual PTSD were appropriate. I liked the fact that the guys reactions to each other weren't always predictable. They interacted in ways that carried both echoes of their past teen relationship and the stresses of their current post-major-trauma situation. This book was at some moments funn ...more
Ami
Once in awhile, you find a book that is beautiful and touching, that when you read it, you want to know what happens (and keep turning the page) but at the same time you want to savor it. And when you finish, you take a deep breath, knowing that you have experienced a wonderful story, then you want to start reading it again, just because.

That is how this book for me. It's an emotional story, my heart breaks a lot for Zach and David. Both characters are amazing. Zach is fucked up but he is not da
ElaineY
REVIEW OF REREAD & AUDIOBOOK; JUNE 2013:

This just barely made 4 stars for the reread but Paul Morey did a 5-star job once again. I'd just about buy anything Morey does:)

This time round, I felt the book would have been better with at least 50 pages less. I got frustrated that listening to audio made it difficult to skip pages but I did get impatient enough to try - and did it successfully, which convinced me the story should have been trimmed down.

---------------------------------------------
Shelley
3.5 Stars for The Blog Of Sid Love.

For those who need a summary of this book it's behind the spoiler which is NOT a spoiler. I've just shortened this review for the benefit of the busy skim readers.

(view spoiler)
Irina
Audible

One of the best books about the abuse victim.

Read by one of my favourite narrators, Paul Morey, the story of Zach and David made me experience the whole range of emotions and sob my heart out.

I loved the first half of the book so much I thought it will go straight to my favourite shelf. Unfortunately, I've found the rest of the story weaker. Something was missing from that part. Perhaps it was the predictable twist of the plot in the end or the lack of suspense. I certainly expected a bi
Anyta Sunday
4.75

Lovely, touching, emotional.

My poor aching heart.
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
I must say this was a phenomenal book. I expected to bawl my eyes out but I only teared up a little at the beginning and at the end and it wasn't as angsty as I was anticipating. However, this book pulled my heartstrings like crazy and because of that, made me love it even more. ^_^

Zach was held captive in the Venezuelan jungle for five years as, literally, a pet. When he's finally found, he's physically and emotionally messed up and because of that he can't even talk, having had to adapt to the
Wade
First let me say… Oh My Gosh! Now that that is out of the way I also have to say I didn’t READ it. I LISTENED to it on audio. I bought this on a recommendation. (A big step I might add to spend more money on an audio book when I hadn’t read it first.) I only own 4 audio books because they are expensive. (To me anyway.) I by those that I love already so I have something interesting to listen to when reading isn’t an easy possibility. I bought “Zack” when I was looking for something new and someon ...more
Heller
Debra
Zach survived 5 years of hell. Kidnapped, tortured and abused, his rescue was only the beginning of a new struggle. Two years later, he is back home with his family, still undergoing daily counselling and struggling to find himself and his place in the world. The one thing that he hung onto all those years was the thought of David, his best friend and the boy he loved. The boy he turned away from the hospital on his return. David is now back home and determined to once again be Zach's friend and ...more
Jen
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Jun 26, 2012 JustJen "Miss Conduct" rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to JustJen "Miss Conduct" by: Heather C
Shelves: mm, ebook
Amazing, fabulous, loved every word. At no point in this story was I ever considering anything less than 5 stars. From the minute it starts, it grabs you. I loved that they didn't spend too much time on Zach's captivity, yet we always had a crystal clear picture of what happened. I also liked that we saw some of Zach's therapy, but not too much that it took over the story. This book just seemed to have the perfect amount of everything for me.

Zach was nothing short of amazing, and while his insec
Rissa (an M/M kinda Girl!!)
WOW!

The abduction and captivity part of this story is scary.. in an OMG this could totally happen in RL kind of way.

Zach is abducted at 15 and held captive for 5 years (if I remember correctly). He is beaten but not completely broken. The beginning of this book is tough to read. Heed the warnings (it's not all pleasant) but if you think you can get past that, you'll get to go on this amazing journey with Zach & Taff. It's not all moonlight & roses for these two all the time but it is Fo
Pour Zach 22 38 Jun 06, 2014 07:45AM
  • The Island
  • Between Sinners and Saints
  • Aaron (Survivor Stories #1)
  • Chase in Shadow (Johnnies, #1)
  • Aftermath (Aftermath, #1)
  • American Love Songs
  • A Note in the Margin (A Note in the Margin, #1)
  • Ethan, Who Loved Carter
  • Waiting in the Throes
  • Bear, Otter, and the Kid (Bear, Otter, and the Kid, #1)
  • Take My Picture
  • Double Blind (Special Delivery, #2)
  • Bloodraven
  • That's What Brothers Do
  • Slide (Roads, #1)
  • Don't... (Don't..., #1)
  • Latakia
  • Fog: A Novel of Desire and Reprisal
An unrepentant biblioholic, Rowan Speedwell spends half her time pretending to be a law librarian, half her time pretending to be a database manager, half her time pretending to be a fifteenth-century Aragonese noblewoman, half her time… wait a minute… hmm. Well, one thing she doesn't pretend to be is good at math. She is good at pretending, though.

In her copious spare time (hah) she does needlewo
More about Rowan Speedwell...
Kindred Hearts Love, Like Water Illumination Hopes and Fears Angel Voices

“Most people - and I'm guilty of it as well - think of passion as hot, fiery, impulsive. But listening to you made me realize that passion can be a deep, warm, steady flame too. The kind of fire that keeps a man warm at night - or melts an ice wall that would drown a flashier spark.” 4 likes
“I walk across the grass in the sunlight, into his arms. I am home.” 0 likes