Start by marking “The Subtle Build of Perfection” as Want to Read:
The Subtle Build of Perfection

The Subtle Build of Perfection

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  178 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Connor Morgan lives a life of mediocrity. Hopelessly single, he spends his time working at the video store with his insane friend Boyd. But Connor gets the distraction he needs in the form of his newest customer: beautiful, green-eyed Dane Masters. Before Connor can wrap his mind around their instant connection, he's dealing with the kind of obsession that can only lead to ...more
Published by Cobblestone Press (first published April 16th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Subtle Build of Perfection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Subtle Build of Perfection

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
The entire story happens in a vacuum, with no sense of time or place. No one talks about vacationing in the "South East." What does that even mean?

And who works in a video shop? There hasn't been a brick and mortar video store within 100 miles of my house for five years. Even my parents stream movies.

Still, this was a super cute novella with some fun dialogue; almost no steam but lots of sweetness.

The ending came far too quickly, but I enjoyed the easy humour and Boyd the Genius.
Gigi

I really, truly loved this book. The characters were compelling and witty and there were several scenes with MC Connor's best friend Boyd that had me laughing out loud, but this didn't pass the muster for me as a romance novella.

Video clerk Connor meets social worker MC Dane at his store and the two start a lengthy flirtation before finally starting to date. They are obviously smitten with one another and well on their way to a stunning romantic romance full of passionate, mind melting sex. But
SheReadsALot
You know those in-between reads that are just romantic and plain cute? That's this one. It was a simple man-man love story with cute characters and sweet buildup. Me likey. No drama just cuteness but I didn't get a cavity from reading.

I'm going to go find a heart shaped pillow to go hug now (don't own one but next heart shaped item I see is getting a hug, damn it).

NARF!
Td
Oct 02, 2011 Td rated it really liked it
Shelves: light-and-easy
This a "what I needed, when I needed it" type of book. Short, cute, light, sweet, zero drama that had me grinning. And Boyd was awesome-"Dude, are you sexiling me?" That was a first for me, lol.

Anyway, so now I see this author also wrote Resistance. I read it, I rated it, I even wrote a brief sentence stating how much I liked it...and don't remember anything about it, nothing, not even reading it. Weird, I usually remember at the very least if I read a book and the general feeling. It's like get
Renée Yes-I-know-I-read-too-damn-much
Pay no attention to the bad cover or even the blurb (it's not really all that accurate of a portrayal in my opinion), and listen up! This is my most favorite novella of all time! It's utterly perfect in every way.

Connor works at a video store, and he falls right into the most beautiful green eyes he's ever seen that belong to a customer. That's it, that's all I'm giving you.

I'm one who really prefers full-length to novellas, but this story is one of my all time favorite reads. The perfection of
Sara
...it had been a couple of weeks, hardly any time at all, but fuck it—it was enough. Enough to love.

Why haven't I read this before??? ACK!! This was adorable. I loved Connor and Dane and how they fell so hard and fast for one another. But even though they fall hard, this was a believable, realistic, sweet and sexy whirlwind romance.

This was so good.

Ami
Jan 20, 2011 Ami rated it liked it
Shelves: mm-short-stories
It's a cute story about the beginning of a relationship, between a video store clerk and a social worker. The event happened for two weeks but half of them they are actually apart, and there were some cute phone exchange in between. While as a reader, at one point, I wanted to pull my hair in frustration because the two seem to tease but did not make it through more than just a couple of kiss, I still enjoy the "build of perfection" ... because it's nice to read that point than simply j
Kassa
Dec 13, 2010 Kassa rated it liked it
This is a very cute short novella about a video store clerk and the customer he falls for. The story is sweet and romantic, detailing the romance between Connor and Dane that mostly happens over the phone since Dane leaves town soon after their first date. The two come to know each other long distance and their connection is only cemented when Dane returns to town. This is not explicit and the roommate Boyd nearly steals the show. It’s a good introduction to the author and makes for a fun, adora ...more
Nichole (Dirrty H)
Apr 17, 2011 Nichole (Dirrty H) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, 2011
If you're looking for a good palate cleanser after all the angst-filled, drama ridden stories that flood the genre, this is what you want to read. It was so refreshing to read a book about two normal guys (no cops, no secret agents, no rent boys, no self-loathing closet cases) who meet in a normal way (at a video store), who flirt for awhile and then go on a date (no insta-love but no months of denying it either) and make a connection. This is what love is like in the real world and it made the ...more
Mandy*reads obsessively*
3.5*
This is a sweet and easy read..no drama, no angst, no shootouts or homophobic family or near death experiences ...
Just Conner who works in a video store and meets Dane at work.
Dane keeps coming into the store and there really is a subtle build up to their relationship, except of course when Boyd gets involved, he is not subtle, but he is very funny!
So, I'm not sure if it will stay with me long, but I enjoyed it while I was reading it!
Mely
Aug 17, 2011 Mely rated it liked it
Tall, laid-back Jared Connor works in a video store with his roommate Chad I forget his name Chad; pretty green-eyed social worker Jensen Dane meets him while returning videos. Not much happens, in an enjoyable way. Sweet but sketchy -- could have used more scene-setting (I don't even know what continent the city they live in is) and a bit more character description.

Nice enough, but you can find better J2 for free.
Shelby P
Jan 10, 2014 Shelby P rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, new-to-me-author
See, guys can get to know each other and take it slow in m/m romances. I enjoyed Connor and Dane's slow build of perfection. Boyd was very witty and I loved his snarky comments! I wish we were given the guys' ages but other than that, I thoroughly enjoyed this novella.
Lala
Warm, fuzzy feelings all around!

Loved this little gem. Funny, sweet, light, and the characters were adorable. Especially Boyd! I wouldn't mind if author turned him gay and wrote a sequel about him. ;)
Lucy
Jan 07, 2011 Lucy rated it really liked it
This is a sweet, no angst story of how video clerk Connor and social worker Dane meet and fall in love. Connors roommate Boyd adds some snarky comic relief and the guys are cute.
O'Lynch
Jan 18, 2015 O'Lynch rated it it was amazing
loved. this. book! steamy with anticipation. loved the snarky sidekick. only complaint is that I didn't want it to end.
Magnolia
Dec 13, 2010 Magnolia rated it liked it
This book should have been called, The Slow Build of Perfection. Though I hesitate to see where the word perfection was in relevance to this book. I wasn't happy with the ending. It felt like it was cut way too short and I was left feeling like I just didn't get it. Would have been much happier if I knew there was another book coming out that would explore their relationship-after the fact that they are officially together. I hate it when the characters finally get it on and then the book is don ...more
Karen K
I don’t usually give novellas anything higher than a 3 mainly because they usually lack the connection I like to make with the characters, but this book was just so sweet that I couldn’t resist. I loved Connor in all his naive, bumbling insecurity and Dane is a beautiful, teasing character, not to mention the hilariously sarcastic Boyd. The plot, though short, held my interest and I couldn’t wait for the couple to actually get together. A sweet, sweet read I’d recommend. I hope to find more by t ...more
Ridley
May 08, 2011 Ridley rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-star, ebook, read-2011, m-m
This was a shorty at ~20k words, so there's not much to review. Boy meets boy, boy flirts with boy, boys have slight misunderstanding, boys have sex, boys fall in luuuuuuurve.

What marks this as below average for me is a herky-jerky writing style with abrupt scene changes, a lack of internal conflict and a rather rushed ending. It's remarkably unsubstantial for the purchase price.
Anara Bella
May 22, 2011 Anara Bella rated it really liked it
This was my first foray into m/m romance. A friend recommended this book so I decided to give it a try and much to my surprise, I totally enjoyed it from start to finish. I love this author's voice and the way she tells a story, so much so that I'll be checking out her other book too. =)

Anara
Chris
Sep 26, 2010 Chris rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, gay, done, short, 2010, owned, ebook
Good short m/m romance about a video store clerk and the video store customer who keeps coming in and renting movies to see him. This story definitely managed to capture the awkwardness of meeting someone, trying to figure out if that person is attracted to you, and so forth.
Kaetrin
Nov 09, 2010 Kaetrin rated it liked it
Shelves: queer, ebook
3.5 stars. Cute short story.

From my blog (October Reads, 2010 post)
B- Very good not very explicit ebook short story about a video store clerk and the customer who falls for him. Shows the early development of a relationship and the "does he like me?" very well.
Norma
Sep 22, 2010 Norma rated it it was amazing
Fun, sweet albeit short story. This novella has great characters and a great story. Connor and Dane are shy, insecure, sweet and wonderful together.

My only complaint is that the story ended before I wanted it to! I highly recommend it.
Nik
Oct 16, 2012 Nik rated it liked it
This was a sweet, romantic, funny book.The ending kinda through me though. With all the talk of sex to come the author could have at least written in the intercourse scene.Very disappointed with the end but a good enough book to pass the time.
melek
Feb 04, 2015 melek rated it it was amazing
An enjoyable read about Dante social worker comes into an video store to rent movies but thats not all he wants he want conner bt finally manages to build up to asking on a date. funny moments. read if u like something simple and short
Karen
Feb 28, 2011 Karen rated it really liked it
short, but very sweet. witty dialogue and the fact that this was primarily a plot (and not smut) driven story make up for the lack of length. it was a surprisingly substantial read for 55 pages.
Meggie
Sep 27, 2011 Meggie rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Truly enjoyable short novella about first moments, dates and meetings of two characters and their time of falling in love. Really great work. I do admit, it was to short in my mind.
Kiki
Dec 11, 2010 Kiki rated it it was amazing
4.5 short, but great characterization ... I really felt the connection between the characters
Manloveebooks
Aug 08, 2011 Manloveebooks rated it really liked it
A short, sweet little contemporary with little conflict but a nice prose style.
jules0623
This was funny and sweet with a slow burn. Lovely!
Page Crusherz
Nov 12, 2012 Page Crusherz rated it liked it
3.5- Quick read, but light and fun.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Truthful Change
  • Something to Believe In
  • Things I'll Never Say
  • Do-over
  • A Summit City Christmas (Summit City, #2.5)
  • Lead Us Not
  • Lazy Sundays
  • Dirty Hero (Zero to Hero, #2)
  • Taken
  • A Limited Engagement
  • Riding with Heaven
  • Violet's Present
  • Imperfect
  • Sock it to Me, Santa!
  • Between a Rock and a Hard Place
  • Holiday Outing
  • Watching Elijah Fall (Short North #1)
  • For Those Who Wait