The Subtle Build of Perfection

The Subtle Build of Perfection

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  148 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Connor Morgan lives a life of mediocrity. Hopelessly single, he spends his time working at the video store with his insane friend Boyd. But Connor gets the distraction he needs in the form of his newest customer: beautiful, green-eyed Dane Masters. Before Connor can wrap his mind around their instant connection, he's dealing with the kind of obsession that can only lead to...more
Published by Cobblestone Press (first published April 16th 2011)

Td
This a "what I needed, when I needed it" type of book. Short, cute, light, sweet, zero drama that had me grinning. And Boyd was awesome-"Dude, are you sexiling me?" That was a first for me, lol.

Anyway, so now I see this author also wrote Resistance. I read it, I rated it, I even wrote a brief sentence stating how much I liked it...and don't remember anything about it, nothing, not even reading it. Weird, I usually remember at the very least if I read a book and the general feeling. It's like get...more
Ami
It's a cute story about the beginning of a relationship, between a video store clerk and a social worker. The event happened for two weeks but half of them they are actually apart, and there were some cute phone exchange in between. While as a reader, at one point, I wanted to pull my hair in frustration because the two seem to tease but did not make it through more than just a couple of kiss, I still enjoy the "build of perfection" ... because it's nice to read that point than simply j...more
Kassa
This is a very cute short novella about a video store clerk and the customer he falls for. The story is sweet and romantic, detailing the romance between Connor and Dane that mostly happens over the phone since Dane leaves town soon after their first date. The two come to know each other long distance and their connection is only cemented when Dane returns to town. This is not explicit and the roommate Boyd nearly steals the show. It’s a good introduction to the author and makes for a fun, adora...more
Nichole (Dirty H)
If you're looking for a good palate cleanser after all the angst-filled, drama ridden stories that flood the genre, this is what you want to read. It was so refreshing to read a book about two normal guys (no cops, no secret agents, no rent boys, no self-loathing closet cases) who meet in a normal way (at a video store), who flirt for awhile and then go on a date (no insta-love but no months of denying it either) and make a connection. This is what love is like in the real world and it made the...more
Mandy*reads obsessively*
3.5*
This is a sweet and easy read..no drama, no angst, no shootouts or homophobic family or near death experiences ...
Just Conner who works in a video store and meets Dane at work.
Dane keeps coming into the store and there really is a subtle build up to their relationship, except of course when Boyd gets involved, he is not subtle, but he is very funny!
So, I'm not sure if it will stay with me long, but I enjoyed it while I was reading it!
Mely
Tall, laid-back Jared Connor works in a video store with his roommate Chad I forget his name Chad; pretty green-eyed social worker Jensen Dane meets him while returning videos. Not much happens, in an enjoyable way. Sweet but sketchy -- could have used more scene-setting (I don't even know what continent the city they live in is) and a bit more character description.

Nice enough, but you can find better J2 for free.
SheReadsALot
You know those in-between reads that are just romantic and plain cute? That's this one. It was a simple man-man love story with cute characters and sweet buildup. Me likey. No drama just cuteness but I didn't get a cavity from reading.

I'm going to go find a heart shaped pillow to go hug now (don't own one but next heart shaped item I see is getting a hug, damn it).

NARF!
Chris
Good short m/m romance about a video store clerk and the video store customer who keeps coming in and renting movies to see him. This story definitely managed to capture the awkwardness of meeting someone, trying to figure out if that person is attracted to you, and so forth.
Magnolia
This book should have been called, The Slow Build of Perfection. Though I hesitate to see where the word perfection was in relevance to this book. I wasn't happy with the ending. It felt like it was cut way too short and I was left feeling like I just didn't get it. Would have been much happier if I knew there was another book coming out that would explore their relationship-after the fact that they are officially together. I hate it when the characters finally get it on and then the book is don...more
Karen K
I don’t usually give novellas anything higher than a 3 mainly because they usually lack the connection I like to make with the characters, but this book was just so sweet that I couldn’t resist. I loved Connor in all his naive, bumbling insecurity and Dane is a beautiful, teasing character, not to mention the hilariously sarcastic Boyd. The plot, though short, held my interest and I couldn’t wait for the couple to actually get together. A sweet, sweet read I’d recommend. I hope to find more by t...more
Ridley
This was a shorty at ~20k words, so there's not much to review. Boy meets boy, boy flirts with boy, boys have slight misunderstanding, boys have sex, boys fall in luuuuuuurve.

What marks this as below average for me is a herky-jerky writing style with abrupt scene changes, a lack of internal conflict and a rather rushed ending. It's remarkably unsubstantial for the purchase price.
Anara Bella
This was my first foray into m/m romance. A friend recommended this book so I decided to give it a try and much to my surprise, I totally enjoyed it from start to finish. I love this author's voice and the way she tells a story, so much so that I'll be checking out her other book too. =)

Anara
Kaetrin
3.5 stars. Cute short story.

From my blog (October Reads, 2010 post)
B- Very good not very explicit ebook short story about a video store clerk and the customer who falls for him. Shows the early development of a relationship and the "does he like me?" very well.
Shelby P
See, guys can get to know each other and take it slow in m/m romances. I enjoyed Connor and Dane's slow build of perfection. Boyd was very witty and I loved his snarky comments! I wish we were given the guys' ages but other than that, I thoroughly enjoyed this novella.
Norma
Fun, sweet albeit short story. This novella has great characters and a great story. Connor and Dane are shy, insecure, sweet and wonderful together.

My only complaint is that the story ended before I wanted it to! I highly recommend it.
Nicole
This was a sweet, romantic, funny book.The ending kinda through me though. With all the talk of sex to come the author could have at least written in the intercourse scene.Very disappointed with the end but a good enough book to pass the time.
Karen
short, but very sweet. witty dialogue and the fact that this was primarily a plot (and not smut) driven story make up for the lack of length. it was a surprisingly substantial read for 55 pages.
Meggie
Truly enjoyable short novella about first moments, dates and meetings of two characters and their time of falling in love. Really great work. I do admit, it was to short in my mind.
Lucy
This is a sweet, no angst story of how video clerk Connor and social worker Dane meet and fall in love. Connors roommate Boyd adds some snarky comic relief and the guys are cute.
Kiki
4.5 short, but great characterization ... I really felt the connection between the characters
Manloveebooks
A short, sweet little contemporary with little conflict but a nice prose style.
jules0623
This was funny and sweet with a slow burn. Lovely!
Page Crusherz
3.5- Quick read, but light and fun.
Amanda
A very sweet and easy read.
Dana
Short but cute.
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Cherry Pie
  • Truthful Change
  • A Summit City Christmas (Sno Ho, #2.5)
  • Riding With Heaven
  • If I Must
  • All Roads Lead To You
  • A Limited Engagement
  • Like Pizza and Beer (Dino Martini Mysteries, #2)
  • Pinky Swear
  • Love Is In The Title (Love #1)
  • Something to Believe In
  • Unexpected Guest
  • Rules Were Made to Be Broken
  • Chiaroscuro (City by the Bay, #1)
  • Get What You Need