Start by marking “The Perfect Summer” as Want to Read:
The Perfect Summer

The Perfect Summer (Hubbard's Point/Black Hall series #4)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  2,642 ratings  ·  92 reviews
Old friendships--and love--make all things new again.
The acclaimed author of Safe Harbor and other "New York Times" bestsellers returns to the seaside, delving into the heart of a once happy family facing troubled waters.
Published July 29th 2003 by Bantam Books (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Perfect Summer, please sign up.

Bobbie Savitz This is what I call "Chirpy Suburban Rich White People With a Real Serious Problem" Fiction. I'd rather, as a good friend often says, stick a damn…moreThis is what I call "Chirpy Suburban Rich White People With a Real Serious Problem" Fiction. I'd rather, as a good friend often says, stick a damn shrimp fork in my eye than try and finish this supposed "thriller." When I realized that I didn't care about any of the characters, including the missing husband, I realized it was time to use the book as a door stop. Some people can tell a story, some can't. I don't care how many books this woman has written, she doesn't like in any world I recognize.

I'd say it's a spoiler but I would suggest you can't spoil what's already rotten. Read ANYTHING by Lucy Maud Montgomery if you want a good story. Read Ewan McGregor or Philip Roth or the damn back of a cereal box. Can you tell I HATE this kind of writing? Anne Tyler disappears behind her characters. This woman screams, LOOK I'M SITTING AT MY KEYBOARD IN MY EXPENSIVE HOUSE WRITING BOOKS THAT DOPES JUST GOBBLE UP. I would like to submit some of my stories I wrote when I was 10 and see which you prefer . . . This is not writing, to quote Capote about Kerouac. It's typing.(less)
The Edge of Winter by Luanne RiceDance With Me by Luanne RiceBlue Moon by Luanne RiceHome Fires by Luanne RiceThe Perfect Summer by Luanne Rice
Best of Luanne Rice
5th out of 31 books — 4 voters
The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny HanA Midsummer Night's Dream by William ShakespeareIt's Not Summer Without You by Jenny HanThat Summer by Sarah DessenWe'll Always Have Summer by Jenny Han
Books with the word summer in their titles
159th out of 161 books — 63 voters

More lists with this book...

Maria
When it comes to writing about Irish culture and life along the northeastern coastline, no one does it better than Luanne Rice. The story of widow Bay McCabe and her fatherless children dealing with the aftermath of her husband's embezzlement scheme is absolutely heartbreaking. However, it is inspiring to watch Bay pull the pieces of their broken lives together while somehow trying to heal after years of estrangement with Sean. It's even more heartwarming to watch this tight-knit community pull ...more
Pat
Bay McCabe relishes life's simple pleasures, her children, her home by the sea. She has never forgotten the values of her Irish granny--the everyday happiness of family, good friends, and hard work. Bay and her husband, Sean, have weathered rough spells and moved on. Now a perfect summer, filled with the scent of beach roses, lies before them.
Charming and ambitious, Sean splits his energy between the town bank, his old fishing boat, and the family he seems to adore--until he leaves his young da
Dawn
Did I 3 star like it? Or did I really, 4 star, like it?
So much of the emotion we attach to a book can be based on the circumstances in which it was read and how we were feeling at the time. My son bought me this book as a Mother's Day present in a second hand store with a magnet of painted roses that matched the cover, and some chocolate. Spring had finally come to upstate NY. So I read it on my porch, ate my chocolate and thought nice thoughts about my son. That brought the book from like to r
Rhonda Rae Baker
Wonderful story and true to what can happen in life.

I understood so many of the dynamics and Ms. Rice was spot-on with her characters!

This is a great read and now I'm looking to catch up on all novels in the Hubbard's Point / Black Hall series...(-:
Jan Hubert Castillo
I SO, SO, SO, SO LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE LUANNE RICE!
Kris
4 STARS

"Old friendships--and love--make all things new again.
Michele Olson
I'm a tremendous fan of Luanne Rice's books, but this book was a bit of a disappointment for me. I loved the relationships in it, the descriptions, all that I usually love about Ms. Rice's books. And while I agreed with how a person such as Bay would feel about being betrayed by the person she should be able to trust the most, and how horrible it was that he stole and cheated and lied ... He was MURDERED. I would be TERRIFIED that I would be next, or my children would be next or that somebody in ...more
Laurel
The summer begins with a problem, a child not picked up from an after school activity. Things rapidly get worse. A missing spouse, shocking aligations arise and culminate in a nail-biting finale.

Bay is a woman who lives a simple life. She loves her kids, the sea, her garden and her best friend, Tara, and most of the time, her husband, or she once did; she's not sure. She is satisfied with the simple things in life. Bay is married to her opposite, the outgoing and unsatisfied Sean whose manic ene
Paula Ratcliffe
Nov 30, 2014 Paula Ratcliffe marked it as to-read
Shelves: kindle, read-in-2012
While reading this book I felt the title was anything but perfect. With the husband in trouble early on, having not picked up his youngest daughter Peggy from practice. Bay McCabe finds herself wondering what is going on with her husband as she rushes to pick up her frantic daughter. Her oldest daughter Annie is frantic to find her father thinking the worst has happened. She rushes out to her father's boat to find blood on it, and the mystery deepens. Early on we find out Sean is in some deep tr ...more
Helen
Jul 06, 2009 Helen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: CarolBeth, Rhonda
I wasn't going to even list books that would come under this category. But I have to make an exception for Luanne Rice. When I first started reading her books they were understandably light reading romance novels. This book changed my mind.

I picked this one up to read at the lakehouse knowing it would be an easy read for the few days I would be there. It turned out to be a very good read and I do not think it belongs strictly in the romance novel category.

It starts out with a seemingly normal fa
Mary
Jan 23, 2012 Mary rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes contemporary fiction
Recommended to Mary by: Library Book Sale
Bay McCabe had always kept the advice of her Irish granny close to heart. The closeness of family, friends and the joy of hard work. Bay and her husband Sean had weathered storms, but had finally come to their beach house to work together on their problems.

Sean is charming and ambitious, splitting his time between the town bank, his fishing boat and the family he seems to adore - until he forgets to pick up his daughter from school. As troubling old memories resurface, a phone call confirms that
Linda
Wow. At 100 pages I thought it might get better. At 200 pages ...I don't know what I was thinking. At 300 pages I was on a mission.
Nothing about this was a perfect summer except the last three pages. Wrong title. LONG drawn out mystery. Loved the love story, but it was hardly there. Too many words.
Mim
Luanne Rice has a great way of developing her characters. Enjoyed the character Bay, whose husband is a philanderer, and later discovered, an embezzler. But there is a past friend and his daughter, who are caught up in this scenario. It was definitely a page turner.
Elizabeth
An excellent read with enough suspense to keep you interested but also great relationships. The depth of her writing in this story was amazing. There is one visual near the end that might haunt you but it has a happy response and the "bad guys" don't win.
Burgendya
Jun 29, 2010 Burgendya rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: to anyone who loves to read romance.
Recommended to Burgendya by: No one really.
The Perfect Summer was a wonderful love story. This novel was so sweet, filled with suspense and romance. I remember it being a real page turner. I enjoyed the tale alot. The story is about a widow/mother name Bay, who is trying to get her life and the childrens lives together thru the tragedy of losing her husband. But not that tragic since he was not such a perfect husband to Bay. So beyound all that pains and fears Bay still finds the strength to love & trust again.

This is the first boo
Melanie
A little mystery to solve, friendships to grow (and remain), beach kids (I envy), and small bit of mystic thrown in.
Aimee
A portrayal of a story most common to us. A story of a family broken apart by the husband's strong inclination to success & temptation and a loving, loyal wife with two great kids. Started out with a husband being tragically killed by his partners-in-crime for transferring trust funds to his own, then wife & kids struggling to keep their lives normal, some shocking revelations, receiving justice to the untimely death of the husband & rekindling the passion that had died-down to an ol ...more
Sofia
Jun 17, 2011 Sofia added it
At first I got bored there are no excitement at all except for Sean gone missing and the mystery thing about the blood on his boat, the "ed", "the girl" etc.

Bay, I love how she cares for her children. And Annie, unbelievable, at that age she already know what is going around their family, all the problems and changes.

It's really nice how Rice emphasize friendships here. How friends stay together even through good or bad times.

Eliza Day, I love the name. :) It's just so sad she's kind a suicidal.
Penelope
Michele
Summer reading!
Dianne Fullam
Well written and fast moving.
Christina
Whoever said, "don't judge a book by it's cover" was talking about this book. My friend Cara gave me this book like 5 years ago and I thought it looked like a sappy love story so I was not keen to read...but, I picked it up to give it a try and it was very good! Luanne Rice is a bit flowery in some spots but all in all her books are great mysteries...without all the Paterson/Coben/Cornwell gore. A great summer read!
Rita
I really enjoyed this book as I usually do all of Luanne Rice's books. Bay McCabe thought it was going to be a perfect summer but it was a summer that changed her life. First was the devestating news about her husband Sean. Where was he and what had he been doing? Thank goodness Bay had her dearest friend Tara to help her through it all. Part mystery, part romance--just a really good book.
Anna
I enjoyed escaping into this book, but I was not as impressed by Rice as I had expected to be after hearing so many recommendations. There are places where the writing is great, but sometimes it is clumsy and even distracting. I liked the sisterhood and loyalty themes between the main female characters, Sean's character made more sense as the end unfolded.
Eileen Carter
This book kept you guessing what was going to happen next. It discussed issues that are often not discussed (anorexia, embezzling money, and self inflicting wounds). Aside from that this is a story that can and probably has happened in some town in the United States to some sense. I thoroughly enjoy reading her books. She is an incredible author.
Candy
Kathy C.
Bay McCabe cherishes life's simple pleasures: family, friends, and the beauty of summer. Her world is turned around when Sean, her husband, turns up missing in his fishing boat. Her dreams of a perfect summer turn into a search of what her marriage and life is all about.
Leah Proudfoot
Sweet quick read. Sad and suspenseful, hopeful and inspiring, mysterious and scary. This book has a little bit of everything, including characters you will love and loathe!
Joanne
Curious dialogue...way of curling back over things in the beginning of the book. Repeats text and concepts. But a good story; suspenseful, not obvious. Good charactes development. Not transparent until the very last...
  • Summer by the Sea
  • Looking for Peyton Place
  • The White Widow
  • Fox River
  • A Secret Affair
  • Circle of Three
  • So Happy Together
  • Once in a Blue Moon
  • A Very Private Woman: The Life and Unsolved Murder of Presidential Mistress Mary Meyer
  • The Desert Crop
  • Green Calder Grass (Calder Saga #6)
  • Temporary Sanity (Marty Nickerson, #2)
  • Crossroads
  • Bloodprint
  • A Ruling Passion
  • Small Town Girl
Luanne Rice is the New York Times bestselling author of thirty-one novels including THE LEMON ORCHARD. Five of her books have been made into movies and mini-series, many have been New York Times bestsellers and two of her pieces have been featured in off-Broadway theatre productions. She divides her time between New York City and the Connecticut shoreline.
More about Luanne Rice...

Hubbard's Point/Black Hall series (6 books)
  • Firefly Beach
  • Safe Harbor
  • True Blue
  • Beach Girls
  • Last Kiss
Beach Girls Follow the Stars Home Firefly Beach The Geometry of Sisters (Newport, Rhode Island, #1) Cloud Nine

“never judge anyone by their appearance, or the car they drive, or the house they live in, or even by the words they say. judge people by their actions. that's how you know whether they're bad or good." - perfect Summer” 8 likes