Start by marking “The Summer We Got Saved” as Want to Read:
The Summer We Got Saved

The Summer We Got Saved

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  224 ratings  ·  36 reviews
- Pat Cunningham Devoto's most recent novel, Out of the Night That Covers Me (0-446-52751-3, Warner hard-cover, 1/01), has over 60,000 copies in combined print and was highly praised in the New York Times Book Review and Washington Post Book World, among other publications. - My Last Days as Roy Rogers (0-446-52388-7, Warner hardcover, 1/99). Devoto's notable debut, receiv ...more
Published April 10th 2006 by Grand Central Publishing (first published June 13th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Summer We Got Saved, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Summer We Got Saved

Kathy McC
This is a historic fiction novel about a variety of people living during in the South in the 1960s. It is a story about the civil rights movement, the difficulty of change, and families and friends finding their own way amid the tumult. It also serves as a stark reminder of how things once were and just how far we have come because of the efforts of all those involved in that movement. It is realistic and well researched. The characters are believeable and portray the gamut of emotions and idea ...more
Ginny
I found this to be a good read. In our current political climate I find myself reading books that pertain to racism in the USA whether they be non-fiction or non- fiction. This book added to my knowledge as a person who was raised in the Northeast as the battle for civil rights raged. I was neither bored nor confused. Given the racial tension and segregation of the time, it made sense that people of different races would be living parallel lives within proximity of each other and yet never meet ...more
Linda Toft
Life in the South at the beginning of the Civil Rights Movement was a time of enlightenment, fear, suspicion, unwelcome change, stubbornness and confusion. Through a series of events two young sisters, a young black woman affected by polio and the father of the sisters become involved in the beginnings of the Civil Rights Movement. The father finds himself questioning the bigoted stand of the people around them and sees a better future for the South if leaders are elected who support integration ...more
Gail Johnson
I enjoyed this book...it was written by a local author (we went to school with her brother and sister) and the setting is a fictional version of my hometown. Also, it dealt with so many of the issues that I dealt with growing up in a time of great change in this country. It was interesting to look back on it from this perspective.
Eric England
The Summer We Got Saved by Pat Cunningham Devoto is a solid book. It does a great job capturing the positive and negative attributes of the American South in the 1960s. The author imbues the work with a certain authenticity. The reader can easily see that the author is a native of the region and cares deeply about its people, despite some of their flaws. The characters are very well-developed and readers can feel sympathy for Maudie, Tab, and Charles. The book's structure could have been a littl ...more
Novel Destination
While others read the author's first two titles about young women coming of age in the South during the 1960's, this is the first title I have read. It is based partially on actual places and incidents. The polio epidemics, Tuskegee, trying to integrate communities and The Highlander Folk School were all interesting parts of the storyline---told from both black and white sides. It is a great reminder that when we decide what is "good for all" may not seem that way to many folks besides the "do-g ...more
Ann
This book tells the story of the civil rights movement from the perspective of ordinary people.It is based partially on actual places and incidents. The death of Wallace's centrist foe in the election; the polio epidemic and the Highlander Folk School in Tenesee were all included. But, somehow it did not have the power of the biographies and non-fiction accounts that were written about that period.
Marleen
Although I love stories about the South, for some odd reason I couldn’t get into this story for the better part of the book. There was something about the writing that kept me from being drawn in. I truly tried to empathize with the story and characters, but I couldn’t fully warm up to them, nor in the events they found themselves in. Normally I don't have a problem with various storylines running parallel to each other, but here it was rather confusing.
I do however admire the author for bringi
Connie
I was fascinated by this story of race relations in Alabama and Tennessee during the tumultuous fifties and sixties. I knew nothing of the famous Highlander Folk School that is featured in the book. I have begun researching the School after learning about it.

I also plan to read other books by Pat Cunningham Devoto. It was a pleasant surprise to discover Ms. Devoto.
This is the sotry of two white girls living in the segregated south. They spend a summer with their "liberal Berkeley-based" aunt at an integrated camp where the de-segregation movement is flourishing.
I found the way this book was written to be confusing, as well as slow. Just as soon as I plodded through the dryness of one section and was starting to involve myself with that sotryline, it was torn away and I found myself having to get through another storyline. In the end, we see how all of th
Amy
More of a 3 1/2 stars. Some of the writing feels like the author was trying to be a great writer, rather than succeeding. And, well, the ending just sort of peters out. But it felt good to read.
Heidi
I'm not sure I really gleaned any new information about what it was like to grow up or live during the early part of the Civil Rights movement from this book and it didn't make me care all that much about the main characters, except for maybe Maudie. The structure of the book was distracting, jumping among 3 different, but related stories. I had to force myself to keep plodding through. No, nothing really revelatory here.
Sally
Apr 18, 2010 Sally rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Melissa Johnson
First of all, I need to say - do not be put off by this book because of its title. I say this, because I almost was...and what a shame that would've been.

This is a wonderful reliving of the 50's/60's, the good and the bad. And obviously, there was a lot of bad. But even in the midst of it all, there was so much hope for change and rebirth of human spirit - which this book shows beautifully.
Abby
This book follows several individuals during the Civil Rights movement. It provides interesting perspectives from both black and white characters and weaves their lives/stories together fairly well. It provides more of an overview of each life without following through on all of the feelings/emotions each probably would have experienced. Still, I found it to be a good read once I got into it.
Priscilla
I loved this book.The setting is in Bainbridge, Alabama during the 1950's.It was about segregation and how it effected people from different backgrounds.
I'm from North Alabama.I'm to young to remember segregation.However, the generation before me, has past their stories of segregation onto me.
Pat Cunningham Devoto made me feel those stories.
Vicki
Jul 27, 2014 Vicki rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
excellent historical fiction of 60's civil rights era in Tennessee/Alabama, loved it
Jonna
I loved this book! It has great characters and takes place on the cusp of the Civil Rights Movement. I love how the characters talk about their daily occurrences like I did with my own best friends. The book is very relatable and a lot of fun to read. I highly recommend it.
Jackie
Dec 03, 2007 Jackie added it
This summer I studied more about multicultural Education and this book contributed a blanace in the different perspectives people have had and still have about discrimination, segregation, integration, race, diversity, differences & similarities, etc.
Kw
Beautiful writing, believable story. I just hated the sad part, though! Wish she'd chosen a different story line at that point.
The characters are well-developed and fun to read about, and it
was great to revisit Tab.
Anne Dupras
It took me until about 3/4 through the book for it to finally hook me in. I had a hard time remembering which character was who, which one was white or black.
Some good parts, but on the whole, not my favorite.
Martha
Great read about racism in South and the Highland Folk School in Monteagle, TN, where many people active in civil rights demonstrations were trained, including Rose Parks and Martin Luther King Jr.
Elaine
It took me a while to read this book. Several story lines to follow and it just moved slow. I enjoyed the "story" I think it could have been shorter and just as effective.
Robialice
I really thought the two stories would converge a bit more than they did. Good enough novel about a civil rights era summer and gives limited black and white perspectives.
Cindy Kester
It was an interesting read about segregation in the south in the 60's. It opened my eyes to some of the things that went on during the time.
Tom Park
Just not my kind of story or stories since I wasn't all that sure if all three would tie together at all. Did at the end, but think it was a stretch.
Michelle
Ok book. I would really have to think about who I was recommending this book to.
Wendopolis
This book didn't start out so well, but ultimately it was a good story.
Patricia
Interesting "coming of age" story about the south and desegregation.
Susie Baugh
Had a hard time getting in to it and then wasn't sure about the end!
Cindy
A favorite book set in Sewanee, just down the road a piece!
  • Requiem by Fire: A Novel
  • Allah's Scorpion
  • Fires of War (Larry Bond's First Team, #3)
  • Fallout
  • Magic Time
  • Salt: A Novel
  • The Book of Peach
  • Elizabeth and the Prince of Spain (Elizabeth Trilogy, #3)
  • Four Spirits
  • Remembering Blue
  • Freshwater Road
  • Saving Grace
  • Tomato Girl
  • Ambergate (Murkmere Hall, #2)
  • Sharyn McCrumb's Appalachia
  • The View From Here
  • Sweeping Up Glass
  • South by Java Head
My Last Days as Roy Rogers Out of the Night That Covers Me On Tripoli Circle The Team