Start by marking “Doctor Who: The Ring of Steel” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: The Ring of Steel

Doctor Who: The Ring of Steel (BBC Doctor Who: New Series Audio Exclusives #8)

3.25 of 5 stars 3.25  ·  rating details  ·  163 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Arthur Darvill ("Rory" from Doctor Who) reads this exclusive audio adventure featuring the Eleventh Doctor and Amy

When the TARDIS lands on Orkney in the near future, the Doctor and Amy arrive to find a large demonstration in progress over the construction of new electricity pylons. The Doctor tries to break things up peacefully – but suddenly the road splits open without w
Audio CD
Published 2010 by BBC Physical Audio

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

Doctor Who by Jonathan MorrisDoctor Who by Jacqueline RaynerDoctor Who by Trevor BaxendaleDoctor Who by Justin RichardsDoctor Who by Gary Russell
Doctor Who Books
61st out of 199 books — 80 voters
Dead Until Dark by Charlaine HarrisPretty Little Liars by Sara ShepardThe Awakening and The Struggle by L.J. SmithA Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinThe Walking Dead, Vol. 01 by Robert Kirkman
Books that are also tv shows
71st out of 240 books — 120 voters

More lists with this book...

Trent
Aurthur Darvil, why can't you narrate 1/3 of the things I read? (Sir Patrick Steward and Sir Ian McKellen reserve full rights to the remaining 2/3, however.)

A very enjoyable read. It's a story that'd be too expensive to realize in a typical episode of Doctor Who, so you have the opportunity to join the Doctor and Amy for a truly fantastic adventure.

That said, even though this is my second Doctor Who audio book, I'm starting to notice a distinct pattern in plot structure: seemingly normal situati
Megan M
Apr 02, 2011 Megan M rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Stephen Cole fans
I'm sorry to say the Stephen Cole's audio book for the 11th Doctor really, really sucks. I mean it is just downright terrible. I mean *tries to laugh* the Amy and the Doctor are fighting Pylons. And are fighting an alien, the Caskelliac that use Pylons and other electrical devices for power. It never felt like the Doctor was in danger or like there was even a Monster of the Week.

Arthur Darvill who plays Rory in the tv show reads this audio book. He does an okay job. Darvill is able to do differ
Keri Payton
(From my blog: Quill Café)

In accordance with the FTC, I would like to disclose that I purchased this book. The opinions expressed are mine and no monetary compensation was offered to me by the author or publisher.

When Amy and the Doctor arrive in Orkney in the near future, they discover a large group of protesters who don't like the new electricity pylons destroying their landscape.

What they don't know, is that these pylons have a far more sinister agenda. Soon, roads begin opening without warni
Tom
Aug 13, 2014 Tom rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Big 11 and Amy fans
An ok Doctor Who book. The writing style was fine and the visual of the walking pylons was kind of cool but the story itself was nothing special. And while The Doctor and Amy were good most of the secondary characters were either undeveloped, uninteresting, or just acted unbelievably.
Mikael Kuoppala
A surprisingly uninspired Doctor Who tale from Stephen Cole "The Ring of Steel" sees the Doctor, Amy and Rory facing a true crisis of energy policy in the form of moving monstrous electricity towers. A bunch of demonstrators are also involved.

Everything is this story is safe and mediocre. Many of the concepts might feel silly but mostly they just come across bland and loaned; I don't know which is worse. Cole's language is okay but theres's nothing unique about it; the same applies to the whole
Nicholas Whyte

Stephen Cole has rarely disappointed me, and I thought that this was one of the better Doctor Who audiobooks out there: read by Arthur "Rory" Darville, whose own character isn't actually in it, we have the Eleventh Doctor and Amy getting mixed up in an environmental protest in the Orkney Islands and discovering, inevitably, that there are aliens behind the new technology involved. But it's not quite your standard alien invasion story - turns out in fact
Matt
Pretty much paint-by-numbers alien invasion Doctor Who story, but has it's strong points. Writer Stephen Cole seems to have a strong grasp of both of the main characters (The Eleventh Doctor and Amy Pond), and Arthur Darvill is really excellent as the narrator, although his character isn't even in this story. The supporting characters are neat, and the new aliens, Caskellians, are interesting. Overall, not a wonderful story but still a worthwhile and fun listen.
Dannielle R
Arthur's funny as The Doctor. :) I was really thrilled with him. He actually made the story good to me. His accents and voices were great and he read everything very well. I liked the idea of the story, and yet I just found it okay over all. I dunno if it was because it was an audio book or if it was because I wasn't watching it. Nothing remarkable in my opinion.
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
Four stars - mostly because I want Arthur Darvill to narrate my life. Or at least all of the audiobooks in my life. He was absolutely fantastic, and listening to him narrate the story was well worth the cost of the audiobook, so money well spent.

The story itself was alright. A little ridiculous in parts, but what good Sci-fi story isn't now and again?
Erin
I need to listen to this again, as I have absolutely no idea how it ended. I listened to it, but for the life of me, cannot recall the end.

What I do remember of it, it wasn't that good for a DW story. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't as good as others.

I absolutely loved Arthur narrating though, and will gladly listen to other productions done by him.
Callie Rose Tyler
This tale is narrated by Arthur Darvill but Rory is not a part of the adventure which I thought was very odd. This story takes place in Scotland 15 years in the future. A good story but nothing really grabbed me. The script seemed to be devoid of the Doctor’s humor and whimsy. This is a story that you can skip.
Kathryn
Might go up a star if I get the hang of these audio dramas and listen to it again.

It's a fairly typical, slightly bizarre 'Who story, but the real strength of this particular one is Arthur Darvill's narration. He's a natural. Would happily read more by him.
Having Arthur Darvill read this was a stroke of genius. I've never enjoyed an audiobook so much. His accents were superb to be honest. The story itself was entertaining, well paced, and I loved the characterisations.
Elizabeth
Maybe it was because I was doing other things while listening to this, but I could not get engaged in this book, and I hardly remember any plot other than *SPOILER* the doctor saves the day. :/
Yvonne
Arthur Darvill does a great job as a narrator and I'll certainly keep my eyes open for more audio books read by him.

Unfortunately this is one of the weaker Doctor Who stories I've encountered
A Rae Crownover
The Doctor and Amy were amazing. The plot, the secondary characters, and the bad guys were good as well. There was just one too many times were things went in their favor for no plausable reason.
Melissa
Originally started 6 June 2011, restarted 10 September 2011.

...And abandoned. The excitement of Doctor Who is vastly diminished in mini-audio book format.
David
Terrific giant monster story. It's my favorite of the 11th Doctor audio stories. Couldn't have been done on a TV budget. It's awesome!
Rob
Arthur Darvill does well as the reader of this story. The Ring of Steel is a fast paced story that is entertaining, but not too deep.
Cool Doctor Who tie-in. Arthur Darvill does a passable Doctor, and he's a good reader. An enjoyable listen for Who fans.
Nicola
I listened to this on audiobook, and I must say, an hour of Arthur Darvill's voice certainly boosted my rating. xD
Beth
The reader was quite good, but this was just rather bland. Of course, I'm not overly fond of the 11th doctor anyway.
Spot-on little Doctor Who story. Pylons and tarmac run amok on Orkney, read well by Arthur Darvill.
Claire
I enjoyed listening to this book, Arthur is a great reader :)
Auden Granger
Just a cute little Doctor Who book. Two hours tops on audiobook.
Emma Donovan
Loved this especially as my friend Arthur is the narrator!
Fuz
The fourth star is solely for Arthur's reading :)
Only1verse
Felt very true to Doctor who Series
Kimberly King
Great narration by Arthur Darvill.
Lwindjwla Thaliazalor
was a bit worried about whether i would enjoy the narrator, but Arthur Darvill proved to be one of the most engaging and listen-able of the BBC's rich roster. loved it
  • Doctor Who: The Hounds of Artemis
  • Doctor Who: The Jade Pyramid
  • Doctor Who: The Day of the Troll (BBC Audio)
  • Doctor Who: The Gemini Contagion
  • Doctor Who: The Last Voyage (BBC Audio)
  • Doctor Who: The Rising Night (Audio Original)
  • Doctor Who: Paradox Lost
  • Doctor Who: The Nemonite Invasion
  • Doctor Who: Ghosts of India
  • Doctor Who: Pest Control
  • Doctor Who: Made of Steel
  • Doctor Who: The Slitheen Excursion
  • Doctor Who: Snowglobe 7
  • Doctor Who: The King's Dragon
  • Doctor Who: The Forgotten Army (Doctor Who)
  • Doctor Who: Shining Darkness
  • Doctor Who: The Glamour Chase
  • Doctor Who: The Many Hands
See also: Steve Cole.

Stephen Cole (born 1971) is an English author of children's books and science fiction. He was also in charge of BBC Worldwide's merchandising of the BBC Television series Doctor Who between 1997 and 1999: this was a role which found him deciding on which stories should be released on video, commissioning and editing a range of fiction and non-fiction titles, producing audioboo
More about Stephen Cole...
Doctor Who: The Feast of the Drowned Wounded (The Wereling, #1) Doctor Who: The Monsters Inside Doctor Who: Sting of the Zygons Prey (The Wereling, #2)