Start by marking “Tukang Kebun” as Want to Read:
Tukang Kebun

Tukang Kebun

4.3  ·  Rating Details ·  1,116 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
1913. The Gardener, a book of prose. Most of the lyrics of love and life, the translations of which from Bengali are published in this book, were written much earlier than the series of religious poems contained in the book name Gitanjali. The verses in this book are far finer and more genuine than even the best in Gitanjali.
Published 1976 by Budaya Jaya (first published 1913)

To ask other readers questions about Tukang Kebun, please sign up.

okaymon Kshanika (1900) . 26 poems come from this work alone. Along with that it includes some of his much earlier works as well.

May 24, 2014 Jareed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
“It is a game of giving and withholding, revealing and screening
again; some smiles and some little shyness, and some sweet useless struggles.
This love between you and me is simple as a song.

No mystery beyond the present; no striving for the impossible; no
shadow behind the charm; no groping in the depth of the dark.
This love between you and me is simple as a song.

We do not stray out of all words into the ever silent; we do not
raise our hands to the void for things beyond hope.
It is enough wh
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Gardener, Rabindranath Tagore
عنوان: باغبان؛ نویسنده: رابیندرانات تاگور؛ مترجم: پژمان، کابل، 1336، در 88 ص
عنوان: باغبان عشق؛ نویسنده: رابیندرانات تاگور؛ مترجم: ف. گ. خطیر، تهران، بنگاه مطبوعاتی پروین، 1321، در 55 ص؛ موضوع: شعر شاعران هندی قرن 20 م

من سبزه های راهی را که تو صبحها از آن میگذری، جائی را که گلهای میرنده قدمهای تو را نیایش میکنند تر و تازه نگاه خواهم داشت
and still reading...and i will read it for whole my life...
a  Lena
Mar 29, 2015 a Lena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ovo možda nije najbolja knjiga sa kojom sam se susrela, ali je sasvim sigurno jedna od najljepših i vraćat ću joj se cijeloga života. Gradinar ili Vrtlar (1913.) sastoji se od 85 pjesama u prozi. Glavna tema Tagoreove lirike je ljubav – prema ženi, prirodi, čovječanstvu i svijetu uopće. Pjesnik nas poziva da se za ovog kratkog života posvetimo nečemu većem od sebe i prigrlimo to na svoja njedra, a šta je ljepše i veće od ljubavi. Uživanje za Tagorea nije vrhunac i jedini cilj ljubavi, ona nije s ...more
Nấm Hương
ngày xưa đi học bị bắt học thơ Tagore hiểu gì chết liền ._. =))) không biết mấy đứa nhỏ khác thì sao chớ đứa nhỏ là mình thì không thấy thơ của ông có gì hay cả o.o :-s (chắc mọi người đều thấy hay hết hả, huhu)
ờ, thôi kệ (tự an ủi bãng thâng), nếu mọi thứ đều có nguyên nhân, vậy thì ngày xưa không thấy hay chắc là để ngày sau (ngày nay) tình cờ gặp lại Tagore giữa đường, đọc được một câu đẹp tiệc zời nín thở rồi đọc lại bao nhiêu câu đẹp tiệc zời nín thở
sống dài lâu thiệt có ích hen, có cơ
Jul 17, 2016 Pavle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: takozvano-ostalo
Da mi je poezija imalo jasna, možda bih mogao mnogo više da cenim ovu zbirku. Verovatno to i zaslužuje. A pošto (i dalje) nije, trojka, jer uprkos Tagoreovoj fascinantnoj lirici, od osamdeset i pet pesama koje sam pročitao, mogu da se setim svega pet-šest. U trenutku čitanja sjajno, momenat posle zaboravno.

Jul 23, 2013 Sridhar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, read2013
How wonderful and strange to read Tagore in 2013, a full hundred years since his receiving the Nobel Prize in literature. The Gardener is wonderful because Tagore's poetry, ranging from rumination to rhapsody, mixes rural settings and nature so evocatively with his internal world of thoughts and feelings. I particularly liked a few verses on the ephemeral nature of beauty and loss, on growing old, on the connection between human and animal beings, and on what the Earth provides. And reading The ...more
Nov 13, 2013 Harperac rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, india
I thought Gitanjali was good, but this book just blew me away. The romanticism in this book is just refulgent, overflowing.

I wish I had a copy on hand to quote some for you. The subject matter of each poem is usually a concentration and combination of a human subject (usually a beloved, male or female) intense imagery of human settlements (villages, bridges over rivers, markets) and intense nature imagery (flora, fauna, and all the usual things, with a great preponderance of climatic associatio
May 13, 2014 Melinda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Tagore shares with the reader a collection of the most beautiful love poems in The Gardner. Set in the Bengali countryside, Tagore's poems will capture the emotions plunged deepest in your heart. Tagore is your voice for all you've wanted to drip off your tongue but lack the talent to put into words.

Tagore's writing is straightforward, difficult to believe his work is one hundred years old. Amazing and powerful prose that will pluck your heartstrings.
Feb 28, 2013 Bonny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, classics

This is an excellent collection of Indian poetry rich in imagery and allegory. Very fresh and incredibly creative. I will read again.

Here are two I liked:

Baby's World

I wish I could take a quiet corner in the heart of my baby's very
own world.
I know it has stars that talk to him, and a sky that stoops
down to his face to amuse him with its silly clouds and rainbows.
Those who make believe to be dumb, and look as if they never
could move, come creeping to his window with their stories and with
trays cr
Mar 23, 2011 Vasya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
This is just so wonderful. I especially love the translation that was done in Serbian more than that in English, maybe because it's my mother language, but I always feel more when I read in Serbian (there are no Serbian editions on this book, so I had to use this one instead).

The first part between the slave and the queen is so heartbreaking in it's simplicity, and yet so complicated in its complexity, that you are left with two impressions - that you have witnessed something magical and at the
Oct 08, 2016 Soycd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

"Unos andan por el camino, otros pasean, algunos son libres, otros están encadenados, y mi corazón pesa en mis pies."

En “El Jardinero” Tagore se propone homenajear al amor y la naturaleza y logra alcanzar la perfección. Es mi segundo libro del premio Nobel después de su aclamado "Gitanjali" y los dos han sido realmente maravillosos. Recomendado.

El pájaro preso vivía en una jaula, y el pájaro libre en el bosque.
Se encontraron por azar. El pájaro libre grita: ‘Amor mío, volemos hacia el bosque’.
Mohamed Awada
Oct 28, 2014 Mohamed Awada rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful poetry. I especially loved the sixth poem in this collection (the conversation between the caged bird and the free bird), and it was inspiring to read the last poem in this collection more than a century after it was written (since he was foreseeing that we would be reading it a hundred years from then.)
Kiran Kumili
Nov 04, 2014 Kiran Kumili rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great collection of beautiful hymns and poems written by the great writer poet of India, Shri Rabindranath Tagore.

Though most of the poems written in this book are related to nature and its beauty in the simple encounters of our daily life in our garden, village and countryside, the poet seems to have drifted towards reality of life secrets and philosophy towards the end. The mention of flute (a special music instrument) in many of the poems gives us the feeling of reference to Lord Kri
Enock Ulle
Mar 28, 2016 Enock Ulle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My beloved poet and one of his masterpieces. Some of the most beautiful verses ever written about love.
Mar 27, 2014 Mais rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ولكنّ سِحر الرياح التي لا مستقرَّ لها
قد أصابني
لنْ أُلقي بالاً الى قلبي
و كلُّ ما أملكه تركته ورائي.
San San
Dec 23, 2014 San San rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Nabila Tabassum Chowdhury
সপতম শরেণীতে থাকতে এই বইটি পরথম পড়ছিলাম। সেবার পড়ে কিছুই পরায় বুঝিনি। এবার পড়ে যে সে সব বুঝে গেছি সে কথা বলা ঠিক হবে না। তবে এটুকু জানি কিছু বই ছিঁড়ে খুড়ে বিশলেষণ করতে ইচছে হয় না। এটা এমন একটা বই।

চরিতরগুলোর মাঝে মনসতাততবিক দবনদবই এই উপনযাসের বিষয়বসতু। পরধান চরিতর নীরজার চরিতরায়ন বেশ বাসতব সমমত। বেশীরভাগ পুরুষ লেখকরা নারীর মনোজগতকে বেশী একটা ঘাটাতে যান না। কিনতু রবীনদরনাথ তো রবীনদরনাথই...বেশীরভাগ সময়েই তাঁর নারী চরিতরগুলো অনেক বেশী বাসতব। তবে এখানে আমার রবীনদরনাথকে পরশনবিদধ করবার আছে। নারী নীরজার
Jun 15, 2014 Eva rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Saya menyukai syair-syair Tagore dalam buku ini, meski banyak juga yang saya tidak paham, namun secara rima (dalam terjemahan Indonesia) menyenangkan untuk disajakkan dan penggunaan kata-kata indah yang tidak lazim namun enak dibaca sungguh mengangkat apresiasi saya terhadap bahasa Indonesia yang dapat mewakili keindahan syair Tagore.

Perasaan saya pun selama membaca syair Tagore ini sukacita dan mendapat suntikan semangat untuk melakukan pembaruan dalam kehidupan.

Saya ingin mengutip syair terak
Juan Bosco
La poesía de Tagore más que leerse en un libro, de principio a fin, poema por poema, es preferible leerla un poema a la vez, escogido al azar y dejar que las palabras que retratan un momento en el tiempo y espacio fluyan con la misma serenidad que las escenas que describen.

No hay conflicto ni pasiones desbordadas, no existe la angustia ni el arrebato, las palabras de Tagore son como una brisa, suaves pero bien definidas. Cada poema muestra un mundo tan en equilibrio que no hay modo en el que los
Sep 19, 2012 eti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
dibanding dengan Gitanyali, saya lebih bisa menikmati buku ini.

salah satunya yang ini, lirik 28 hal. 55,

Matamu yang mengandung tanya itu duka. Ia mencari-cari hendak mengetahui isi hatiku bagai bulan hendak menduga laut.

Telah kusingkapkan hidupku seluruhnya di muka matamu, tak ada lagi yang tersembunyi atau tertahan. Itulah sebabnya mengapa tak kau tahu aku.

Jika hidupku hanya sebuah permata, akan dapat kupecahkan jadi seratus
keping dan kurangkai jadi seutas rantai untuk kukalungkan di lehermu.

albin james
Aug 31, 2015 albin james rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pas toi

Carving into bark till you bleed
Nailing the doors shut, locking yourself up
Living inside a dream from staying up too late
Praying to shadows and walking on for so long
Though I keep telling myself it takes time
Though I keep writing it down

Whatever I do, wherever I am
Nothing erases you, I'm thinking of you

Days go by as empty furrows
Within reason but with no love
My luck goes by and the winds change
Only remains the absence, unabashedly
Though I keep telling myself that I can't help it
That you
Mar 03, 2016 Ashutosh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"I run as a musk-deer runs in the shadow of the forest mad with his own perfume.
The night is the night of mid-May, the breeze is the breeze of the south.
I lose my way and I wander, I seek what I cannot get, I get what I do not seek.

From my heart comes out and dances the image of my own desire. The gleaming vision flits on.
I try to clasp it firmly, it eludes me and leads me astray.
I seek what I cannot get, I get what I do not seek."

This book can be read in hours but should be read in days as it
Jan 12, 2013 Meghana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tagore's poetry is always a delight. His poem "Unending Love" is my favourite poem of all time.

In this short 150 page book, Tagore has published 85 short poems. Some run more like couplets, but his characteristic language persists; a couple lines evoke far off scenes and nostalgia, while the next few lines remind you of someone you know.

Each poem is its own microcosmic universe, and I took a while to finish this book because I wanted to savour the beauty of these lines. I really wish I knew Ben
Jul 17, 2012 Katsumi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
"The Gardener" is a collection of love poems, where the lover compares himself to a gardener and the beloved to his queen. The verses are intricately woven and they explore the depths of love, its anguish as well as the sublime desires. The poems are rich with imagery and allegory. As in many others of Tagore's works, these love poems can be read on many levels, but they are particularly perceptive of our innermost spiritual strivings.
Sep 16, 2012 3ppman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: popudbina
Simple, deep - universal in its candor and deeply intrinsical in its mysticism/eroticism. One of the finest books of love poetry I've ever read and, like very other Tagore's work, there is a shade of question that closes a whole world inside which you can't see or experience by your mind or your eyes - you must touch it and hug it with all of your soul, just as Tagore's love hugs every single verse of this book. Astonishing.
U suštini ne volim poeziju, ali mi se Gradinar dopao.

Moje srce, ptica divljine, našlo je svoje nebo u
tvojim očima.
One su kolevka jutra, one su carstvo zvezda.
Moje su pesme potonule u dubine njihove.
Pusti me samo da se vinem u to nebo, u njegovo
osamno bespuće.
Pusti me samo da delim njegove oblake, da širim
krila u sjaju njegovoga sunca.
Hoang Lien
Jul 17, 2014 Hoang Lien rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poem
Feel like I am lost in the garden of a hundred years hence, one spring morning, one summer noon, one autumn sunset and another winter night.
I have always wanted to read this poem collection since I was a highschool student studying Poem No. 28 as part of the school course; and now after finishing the book, I am simply happy that it is as splendid as I had always imagined
Jul 11, 2015 heidi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection of verses reveals some gems here and there, but I'm afraid the beauty of most of the verses has been lost in translation. This won't stop me from reading other works of Tagore though. I'll go through other Tagore titles available on Gutenberg to do the author justice.
  • Plavi čuperak
  • Orlovi rano lete (Pionirska trilogija, #1)
  • Merahnya Merah
  • கணையாழியின் கடைசிப் பக்கங்கள்  [Kanaiyazhiyin Kadaisi Pakkangal]
  • Anabasis
  • Castes in India: Their Mechanism, Genesis and Development
  • Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Treasury
Awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1913 "because of his profoundly sensitive, fresh and beautiful verse, by which, with consummate skill, he has made his poetic thought, expressed in his own English words, a part of the literature of the West."

Tagore modernised Bengali art by spurning rigid classical forms and resisting linguistic strictures. His novels, stories, songs, dance-dramas, and ess
More about Rabindranath Tagore...

“My heart, the bird of the wilderness,
has found its sky in your eyes.
They are the cradle of the morning,
they are the kingdom of the stars.
My songs are lost in their depths.
Let me but soar in that sky,
in its lonely immensity.
Let me but cleave its clouds
and spread wings in its sunshine.”
“Dreams can never be made captive.” 16 likes