Start by marking “The Shifting Price of Prey (Spellcrackers.com, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Shifting Price of Prey (Spellcrackers.com, #4)

The Shifting Price of Prey (Spellcrackers.com #4)

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  532 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
Genny's life has never been busier: the solstice is approaching, magic is going mad, Spellcrackers.com is under new management and London is hosting Carnival Fantastique. Then a unicorn is found horribly mutilated, garden fairies start dying and an eminent wildlife activist and her young son are snatched from a Conference.
544 pages
Published August 30th 2012 (first published February 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Shifting Price of Prey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shifting Price of Prey

Lover Reborn by J.R. WardOnce Burned by Jeaniene FrostIced by Karen Marie MoningDeadlocked by Charlaine HarrisBiting Cold by Chloe Neill
Most Anticipated Books of 2012! {PNR, UF & PNYA}
158th out of 624 books — 1,799 voters
Insurgent by Veronica RothCity of Lost Souls by Cassandra ClareHallowed by Cynthia HandPandemonium by Lauren OliverIncarnate by Jodi Meadows
Hurry up 2012!
84th out of 214 books — 287 voters

More lists with this book...

Caroline The HEA Lover
Final version 2012: 5 Freaking Stars!

(This Review was originally published on Book Lovers Inc)

What a book! I’m still trying to cope with the ending…even though it was the second time I read it! Talk about a powerful book. But let’s start from the beginning. The Shifting Price of Prey is the 4th book in the Spellcrackers.com series. I’ve read and loved the previous books in the series but THIS book beats them all. I’ve never felt so shocked/engrossed/nervous/surprised by a book before.

Suzanne is
Mardel
Apr 27, 2014 Mardel rated it it was amazing
Reading The Shifting Price of Prey, like other books by Suzanne McLeod, reminds me of the many layers of petals on a rose - or the layers of an onion (but every one uses the Onion Layer thing). The first layer of petals is the beginning of the novel - Genny is checking out a Gnome's business, and his use of naturally dying garden fairies. Something strikes her weird about this...and on top of that, this creepy Gnome keeps offering her refreshments that a fairy would eat - insects, slugs, etc., t ...more
Lexxie (un)Conventional Bookviews
*I received an e-ARC from the author in order to write an honest review of this book*

This and other reviews can also be found on my blog (un)Conventional Bookviews.

The Shifting Price of Prey picked up a few months after the end of The Bitter Seed of Magic, and Genny is herself – business as usual. There is a lot of humor in this book, and I love the laugh-out-loud moments it helped me have :) even if it’s sometimes a little weird trying to explain to people why I’m laughing when I’m sitting with
mrsj
Sep 17, 2012 mrsj rated it liked it
It is hard to write a review for this book.
Seriously.

It can be interesting.
It can be frustrating.
It can be annoying.
It can be confusing.
It can be over imaginative like too much info is pouring into you and you go "whoa. Stop!"

The ending has left me anticipating for more though it still left me confused.

And the whole love triangle thingy, the cryptic talks and conspiracies???
Fix it soon!!!!!

Damn faes. Damn vamps. Damn supernaturals.
Kara-karina
Aug 17, 2012 Kara-karina rated it it was amazing
4.5/5!
always thought that Spellcrackers.com was a little gem of a series. The latest creation from Suzanne McLeod is one of her finest.

Wonderful, complex and very imaginative world-building, London packed by an amazing range of paranormal creatures all living in the open, cohabitating with humans and legally having their own rights, - witches, sidhe, vampires, shifters, dryads, nyads, kelpies, gnomes, fairies... There are so many of them, and yet in each book I learn something new.

As usual the
Ellie
Sep 08, 2012 Ellie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
The Shifting Price of Prey is the fourth book in Suzanne McLeod’s Spellcrackers series and therefore this review will contain spoilers for the previous books. I'm not sure they would hold up as standalone reads but the world is amazing once you get into it.

Genny thinks she’s finally got her life back; Sylvia’s pregnant and living in Between in a talkative wardrobe. Business is good at Spellcrackers with the contract for Harrods and the Carnival Fantastique, which brings with it a host of superna
Claire
Aug 15, 2012 Claire rated it it was amazing
Spellcrackers.com fans will not be disappointed with this latest instalment. In my opinion this is the best book yet by far. The story starts 3 months after The Bitter Seed of Magic finishes and our heroine Genny is now acting as boss of Spellcrackers.com whilst Finn is in the Fair Lands looking after his pregnant daughter Nicky. Even though the Fae community know what happened to the fertility curse and that its spell was trapped in the pendant that DI Helen Crane kept, it is still hanging over ...more
Blodeuedd Finland
Aug 13, 2012 Blodeuedd Finland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Did it end with a cliffie, yes and no. It made me scream for more, but no one was falling off that cliff. They were just close, and getting closer. But that does not mean anyone will fall down. But you get idea. This book makes you crave more. Of course I told the author how evil she is ;) The best authors always are. They make delicious cliffhangers, not irritating ones. And she does know how to write a book.

Genny is like Genny always is. Lusting over Malik (you and me both girl!), misses Finn
Helen Hollick
Nov 21, 2012 Helen Hollick rated it it was amazing
Definitely the best magical romp yet - the series is growing in strength and is a wonderful "escapism" read, though I'm not sure that the books will stand alone out of sequence (hard to tell when I've devoured each one as if I'm a glamoured vamp in need of sustenance! LOL)

I adore Malik; Finn is a pain & as for that Kelpie..... but I'll not say more as I don't want to give any story away.
My only comment would be that this one is _very_ adult in sexual content, which may put some readers off -
Dangerous Romance Book Reviews
Sep 14, 2012 Dangerous Romance Book Reviews rated it really liked it
SABINA: I was in Italy when I got an email from Suzanne saying the E-ARC of The Shifting Price of Prey was now available. Can I just say how frustrating it was that I just couldn’t download it straight away?! I had to wait until I came home to sit down with this book. It was worth the wait, but still. I’m terrible at waiting!! ;-)

LAURIE: I felt guilty when I saw it had finally come in and I was going to get to read it two weeks ahead of you! Although...you were basking on the beaches of Italy an
Pamela / SpazP
Nov 02, 2012 Pamela / SpazP rated it it was amazing
In this fourth Spellcrackers.com novel, we meet back up with Genny in the wonderful supernatural London that Suzanne McLeod has created for us. The stakes are raised higher than ever, as we learn more about Malik al-Khan's backstory, and my own expectations of this fourth book were just as high. I squealed with delight, because The Shifting Price of Prey totally delivers.
With the Carnival Fantastique in town, Ms. McLeod introduces a terribly interesting and unique storyline to an already multi-l
Melliane
Aug 08, 2012 Melliane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mon avis en Français

My English review

I was very impatient to read this book, I really love the Spellcrackers.com series and it’s always a real pleasure to get into a new adventure. I have to say that many things always happen in the Genny’s life, and this book is the perfect example. It’s a series that is in constant evolution and I think that each book is better than the last one. So I’m sure you know now, as I already loved the third book, this one was really awesome.

Genny thinks she is tranqu
Veronica
This series just continues to feel discombobulated to me. The magic seems to be one deux ex machina after another and the romance angle...just seems to center on whichever male is standing in front of Genevieve at the time. Why I've continued reading it is unknown to me but at this point, with only one book left in the series, I may as well see it through to the end.
Natasha Chowdory
Dec 07, 2015 Natasha Chowdory rated it it was amazing
Probably the best one of the lot so far - if only because we get to know a bit more about Malik and Bastien and we also get introduced to a whole host of new characters. The procedural element is still there but it's nice that now Helebn Crane is out of the picture the police side of things is actually more enjoyable to read. The addition of lycanthropes to the mix is great and I like the explanation of how they came to be. The over-arching plot with the tarot cards etc I could have done without ...more
Rabidreading
Aug 30, 2012 Rabidreading marked it as to-read
GRRRRR, not available thru US sellers yet, and no quick & easy Kindle/ebook version to download either! Had to order my copy on Amazon thru a seller in the UK. Will take minimum of 18-26 days to get here :(
Dharia Scarab
Aug 19, 2014 Dharia Scarab rated it it was amazing

4 sta
Jodie
Jan 03, 2015 Jodie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: para-romance
Man oh man this has been a crazy stupid ride lol

Let's start with what I like/love

Genny. Love her she's awesome and not your usual kick butt heroine
Malik. Oh boy am I team Malik...phew what a man lol
Hugh, Sylvia, Tavish

What I didn't like.

So long winded it was crazy, some things could have been wrapped up much quicker.
Finn. Whilst I was team Finn at the start I kind of hated him towards the end.
Gold cat. I want to stab her lol

Ps if you're hoping for any Ro,acne adult action don't bother. There's
Runningrabbit
I'm disappointed here. Exactly the same as the other books. Unrequited love, battles blah blah blah.
Bell Curran
I read the beta version and it's amazing. No plot, no spoilers, I'm just saying, it's worth the wait.
Scooper Speaks
Sep 08, 2012 Scooper Speaks rated it it was amazing
Wow, so didn't see everything that happened coming.
Rhys Ford
Jul 31, 2011 Rhys Ford rated it it was amazing
Want this.

Badly.
Bethany C
Apr 20, 2014 Bethany C rated it it was amazing
Although this was a bit longer than most books of the uf variety, it was never boring or overly wordy. It probably could have been shortened some by the many reminders of what had happened in previous books or how certain things in this world worked, I think they were necessary (and didn't interrupt the flow of the story.) This world is really, really complex and I think I would have been lost several times without the little memory jogs. So if you're just looking for some ass-kicking or the kin ...more
Anita
Jun 03, 2013 Anita rated it really liked it
I love this series, but it's a hard one to explain. It mixes up witches, fae, and vampires in different ways than most contemporary fantasy, and there is a strong mystery component to this series. It can also be sexy and violent at times. It takes place in a version of modern day London. This is book 4 in the series, and they would make no sense at all out of order.

In this one, Genny (bean sidhe with a vampire father, works for witches as a magical hazmat contractor) is working on a kidnapping c
Michelle Cummings
Oct 22, 2012 Michelle Cummings rated it it was amazing
I have loved this series since the first book, but I found this to be the absolute best in the series (so far!). If you have not started this series, I highly recommend it to everyone. The world building, characters, plot are all fantastic. I am not going to be able to review the first 3 books in the series here, but please read them first. Do not start the series at book 4, you will miss too much.

The series is set in London. The main character, Genny is Sidhe Fae, but since her mother was Fae a
Sarabeth
Nov 20, 2012 Sarabeth rated it it was amazing
The Spellcrackers series continues to be on of my very favorites. Top 10 for sure! Book was purchased by me. This is the fourth book in the series and continues Genny's adventures as she tries to unravel her, somewhat muddled, family history, the current state of her love life, and keep a handle on all the problems involving the Fae and Vampires popping up in London. Genny's innervoice really makes these stories for me. She sounds just like me when she forgets something or realizes she has made ...more
Yaz
Aug 17, 2012 Yaz rated it it was amazing

The latest instalment of the Spellcrackers series, The Shifting Price of Prey has the same humour, brilliance and fast paced action which I have come to expect from these books. Not only must Genny face her greatest fear - a confrontation which was inevitable but one she has dreaded for a long time, she has to deal with managing males who keep vital information from her in a unwelcome attempt to protect her.

Genny is an awesome heroine, she isn't all powerful and she doesn't whine about things th
Noodle TheNaughtyNightOwl
Book four in the Spellcrackers.com Series and it was worth the wait. These are not light-weight reads. They're a bit gritty, full of information and magical nuances, complicated relationships and a deeply intriguing world. The author managed to recap on the last book nicely, so it was easy to find our place again without being bombarded with repeated scenes or flashbacks.

This time Genny is up against a powerful vampire, whilst still trying to find the solution to the Fae's lost fertility. That c
Rhona
Feb 17, 2013 Rhona rated it liked it
The Shifting Price of Prey is the fourth book in the Spellcrackers series. Genny is temporary boss of Spellcrackers and business is going well under her command. Life has gotten easier for Genny, she has acquired two new house mates in the form of pregnant Slyvia and her boyfriend, who live in a magical wardrobe in between. Unfortunately the happy ending of the previous book wasn't as neat as Genny had hoped. The Fae are still having problems with their fertility and look to Genny to solve it. L ...more
Louisa
Feb 08, 2013 Louisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, urban-fantasy
I have one problem with this book "Who's" DOES NOT FUCKING EXIST! IT'S 'WHOSE' OKAY? WHOSE! (I re-read this before posting and literally automatically corrected that before realising I was making a point. Apologies for me being a slight grammar Nazi)

Other than that I really like series, loving the Jaye Wells book references too.

Occasionally something seems a little 'off' and I'm not quite sure what it is. I'm not sure if it's Genevieve reiterating conversations in her head a little too much or
Ruth
Dec 18, 2012 Ruth rated it liked it
c2012 FWFTB: Carnival, infertility, vampire, kidnap, Emperor. The plot gets thicker -and to be frank - a bit convoluted at times. There was a lot of recapping/musing by the main character which should have helped but I must have been so eager to find out how everything was going to end, that I missed some of the plot points. This had a slightly disconcerting effect but I still really enjoyed the story but I hope that the next outing sorts out Genny's love life. I am certainly Team Malik all the ...more
  • Darklands (Deadtown, #4)
  • Grave Secret (Secret McQueen, #5)
  • Zombie's Bite (Dorina Basarab, #0.1)
  • Wildfire Gospel (Santeria Habitat, #3)
  • Deceived by the Others (H&W Investigations, #3)
  • Demon Revealed (High Demon #2)
  • Devil's Business (Black London, #4)
  • Coveted (Gwen Sparks, #3)
  • Entwined with the Dark (Kindred, # 7)
  • Wrong Side of Dead (Dreg City, #4)
  • Frost & Bothered (Discord Jones #4)
  • The Trouble With Fate (Mystwalker, #1)
  • A Trace of Moonlight (Abby Sinclair, #3)
  • Sin's Dark Caress (Dark Brethren, #3)
  • A Taste For Blood (The Godhunter #6)
  • Shotgun Sorceress (Jessie Shimmer, #2)
Welcome to my Goodreads page! I write the Spellcrackers.com urban fantasy series about magic, mayhem and murder – liberally spiced with hot guys, kick-ass chicks and super-cool supes! I live on the sunny (sometimes) South Coast of England with my wonderful husband and our two much loved boisterous HellHounds!
More about Suzanne McLeod...

Spellcrackers.com (7 books)
  • Fairy Wishes (Spellcrackers.com #0.5)
  • The Sweet Scent of Blood (Spellcrackers.com, #1)
  •  The Cold Kiss of Death (Spellcrackers.com, # 2)
  • The Bitter Seed of Magic (Spellcrackers.com, # 3)
  • The Hidden Rune Of Iron (Spellcrackers.com #5)
  • The Sharp Bite of Ritual (Spellcrackers.com, #6)