Start by marking “This Time Love” as Want to Read:
This Time Love

This Time Love

Joy Anderson was young and trusting when she served as a guide for aspiring journalist Gabe Venture. Surrounded by the staggering natural beauty of New Mexico's Lost River Cave, Joy gave herself freely to the most extraordinary man she had ever known. But even the passion they shared could not hold him—and Gabe left Joy with a broken heart . . . and, nine months later, wit ...more
Published October 28th 2003 by Avon (first published January 1986)

To ask other readers questions about This Time Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Time Love

Lindig
Aug 17, 2009 Lindig rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I've read a fair amount of Lowell's books and, in general, I think she's pretty good. But not this time. The two main characters are so entrenched in their bitterness and hate because of a shared history and drastic miscommunication that their attitudes quickly become irritating and uncomfortable.

We do learn a fair amount about caving, which is very interesting (the heroine is an expert; he's an adventure writer). But it's not enough to counteract the constant sniping at each other, and then the
Gail
May 28, 2013 Gail rated it really liked it
Hero & heroine have a past, and a child he doesn't know about. There's bitterness between them but when he comes back to the New Mexico cave where they first met & fell in love, they have a chance to get it right. I really liked this a lot. As per Lowell's usual wonderfulness, she makes you see the beauty of the caves, and then uses them as all kinds of metaphor for the relationship. Lovely, lovely story.
San-Dee Keefner
Susan (the other Susan)
Caves fascinate me, and I've always wished I had both the courage and the opportunity to explore an undeveloped cave. I read this book after seeing an astonishingly beautiful National Geographic feature on the still largely unmapped cave system that stretches for countless miles beneath New Mexico. The novel is so-so as a romance, but Lowell's detailed account of caving, its risks and wonders, made it impossible to put down. The depth of research is impressive, as is her ability to put the reade ...more
Linda Smith
Jan 31, 2015 Linda Smith rated it liked it
Reading this type of romance book is like eating a bag of potato chips. It's hard to put them down but they really aren't all that satisfying. The frustrating thing about this story was that the author (whom I have enjoyed many times before) just kept reiterating the conflict between her hero and heroine. I got the problem the first time she told me. I didn't need to hear about it a hundred more times. However, if you have any interest in cave exploration, Elizabeth Lowell certainly did her home ...more
Terri Tinkel
Apr 09, 2012 Terri Tinkel rated it really liked it
Of course,this book had a romance. A romance that was in place 7 years before the story begins. A tale of two lovers who had some miscommunications and think they hate each other when they meet again after all the time has passed by. But along with the usual love story, there was also a story about caving. Everything you might want to know about how to work in caves, discover new paths within the earth and protect and appreciate the wonders of Nature are in this book. I thought the descriptions ...more
Jeanne Jenkins
Apr 21, 2012 Jeanne Jenkins rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
I have never given a book such a low rating. I liked the story line, even the part about caving. Unlike other reviews I read, I did not think it was too much information on caving. I also liked the love story about Gabe and Joy. The reason I have it such a low rating was a personal preference. I do NOT like the fact that the 'sex descriptions' were so detailed. It was not necessary to the plot. I do not like something that should be a private matter told so openly. Therefore I will not be readin ...more
Myndi
Jun 05, 2012 Myndi rated it it was amazing
Described on the cover as a classic love story, I have to agree! The prologue gave enough of the back story to get you intrigued and going into the chapters I was already hooked. The miscommunications that caused all the heartbreak were believable and frustrating all at the same time. The lingo about caving was enough to let you know what was going on, but not so much as to bore or sound to text book-ish. The ending revealing something about some of the lesser characters was a bit of a pleasant ...more
Susan Swansburg
Jul 19, 2016 Susan Swansburg rated it it was ok
I was enjoying it for maybe the first half, then it became a chore to finish, which is not a good thing in a book you are reading as pure light-hearted entertainment. There was way too much caving, and description thereof, which I really am not interested in. This aspect of the book was well written as I could clearly imagine the caves, and almost felt claustrophobic.

Also, found that I didn't like the main female character, Joy, all that much.
Kendra
Nov 30, 2012 Kendra rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book! It was such a sweet yet rocky romance novel. It also was very elaborate with its descriptions of the cave! The characters were very in depth and entrancing; the story itself was captivating and original. It had me laughing and crying, right along with the main character, Joy. The ideal romance novel - just enough sex, romance, action, and drama to keep things interesting.
Cynthia
Sep 25, 2009 Cynthia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Eh. This was a bit boring. A Big Mis and more facts about caving than you could get out of a tour guide make up the first half. By then, the books momentum was so sluggish I had a hard time caring about the second half. Also, I didn't like the characters much; they were pretty 1-D.

Basically, the setting and set up could have led to a great story, but it just kind of moldered and didn't do much.
Amy
Sep 02, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I liked the way the main characters really took a good look at themselves and grew with that knowledge. It is something that we all need to do from time to time to realize the person we are and the one we want to be. It also brought up my curiosity of caves and made me wish I could see what they were describing. Will definitely check out Elizabeth's other books. This is a definite two thumbs up!
Krissy
Not bad. Just a little wordy at times. I found myself skimming a lot once the story started getting into all the technical scientific cave terminology (which it did numerous times). So most of the scenes where the characters were in the caves exploring I just blah blah blah'd my way through. Reading just enough to get the gist of the scene. I was more interested in the relationship between the MCs. I was satisfied how the book ended. That's about it.
Pamela Gibson
Feb 26, 2016 Pamela Gibson rated it really liked it
This is one of her older books, but it is super informative about cave exploration and those who do it. The opening pace was very slow with way too much backstory, but stick with it. Once the hero and heroine are on the same page sparks fly. Lowell's characterizations are deep and her plots are first rate. This was not one of her suspense novels, but more of a romance with a tried and true secret baby trope. It was well-written and worth reading.
Chris Eboch
Apr 09, 2012 Chris Eboch rated it it was ok
I usually like Elizabeth Lowell a lot, but this was a weaker offering. She obviously did her research about the caving, but included so much detail that the plot dragged. Plus, the main characters could have solved most of their problems simply by having an honest conversation, so the misunderstandings and blame got tedious after a while.
Liz
Jul 07, 2014 Liz rated it really liked it
Shelves: four-star
If you really like exploring caves and sexy romance, you'll enjoy this book. It says "A Classic Love Story" on the front, and that is definitely what it is: boy loves girl, girl loves boy, and misunderstanding keeps them apart. The cave definitions and explanations were too detailed for me, but if you like that kind of thing you'll enjoy it.
Dianna
Sep 26, 2012 Dianna rated it really liked it
Really like this author, so reading everything D.A. Hurd Library has by her. So you will see a lot of stuff by Elizabeth Lowell going up on my shelf here for a couple more weeks. The last couple of books that I have read by her, at least, she has been having fun with puns. I like punny people!
Joanne
Sep 21, 2012 Joanne rated it liked it
Gave left Joy not only with a broken heart but pregnant. Seven years later he returns to find some inner peace and finds Joy and the daughter he never knew about. Can Joy forgive the past and trust again.
Artha
Nov 04, 2012 Artha rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
Romance is not my genre, so for a book with no murder or mayhem it wasn't too bad. I liked the characters, I think it dragged a little in the middle, carrying out the oh I love him but a little to much, but not bad!!
Alexis-Morgan Roark
I just wanted to shout, Get over it already!!!!" That pretty much sums it up for me with this book. Well, that and the fact that I learned waaaaaay too much about caving and found myself re-reading passages because I just couldn't grasp what the heck she was talking about.
C K
Oct 10, 2012 C K rated it really liked it
This is an author that I have read a lot of and have added her books to my 'keeper' book shelf. Most I have read at least twice and some even more than that. Always in depth characters that anyone can identify with on some level.
Crystal Bennett
Jul 20, 2016 Crystal Bennett rated it liked it
A lovely story. I think it speaks well of Lowell's ability to describe settings when I say that this book made me feel seriously claustrophobic! And at times the caving analogies got a little over the top...but overall an enjoyable read.
Jaime Atkins
Feb 17, 2010 Jaime Atkins rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2010
I'm so glad I didn't check the ratings before I read this. I thought it was great!!! The beauty described in the exploration of the cave was an added bonus. This was the first of Lowell's books that I have read and I will definitely be reading more.
PastAllReason
Nov 16, 2010 PastAllReason rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, read-2010, ebook
A re-writing of a series romance, a story about caving, really becomes a story about caving as author Elizabeth Lowell becomes preoccupied with details of the science of cave formation and collapse and the caving experience.
Dana
Gabe and Joy

Sometimes with EL's books, I get more caught up in her chosen field of expertise for the novel then I do with the actual characters. Such was the case with This Time Love. It wa great to learn about caving, the rest of the story left quite a bit to be desired.

Liann Darby
Jul 25, 2012 Liann Darby rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
This romance revolves around the profession of cave exploration. The descriptions of what this cave looks like were amazing and there were times I actually felt claustrophobic from the descriptions of crawling through the tight spaces to find something new both in the cave and their relationship.
Dawn
Mar 01, 2012 Dawn rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
Joy gave herself to Gabe the journalist who left her, Months later he returns to her, She has nursed her wounds and a child.
Christine US
Sep 12, 2011 Christine US rated it did not like it
blah blah blah...whine whine whine..."let's go into the cave"...whine whine blah blah
and now I have accurately summarized the book.
how miserable.
Brandy
Feb 13, 2012 Brandy rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
This book was pretty good but very predictable and the caving aspect was very interesting but got to be a little much and deep at times. The story did turn out the way you wanted it to go.
Kris
Aug 02, 2011 Kris rated it really liked it
I originally read this as "Sequel" when it first came out back in the 80's. Nostalgia can be a good thing - it's like returning to an old friend, but learning more.
  • The Ruby
  • Finding Home
  • Brides to Be
  • The Matchmaker (Once Upon A Time, #6)
  • Close To Perfect
  • The Forever Dream
  • The Lady Is Tempted
  • Tell Me Why
  • The Sheikh's Wife
  • Finding You
  • Perfect Partners
  • Betrayed (Clan MacKenzie #3)
  • The Bridemaker (Maker, #3)
  • Something Wild
  • Just Another Day in Paradise
  • Key to Forever (Draycott Abbey #4)
  • Strangers In Paradise
19051
Individually and with co-author/husband Evan, Ann Maxwell has written over 60 novels and one work of non-fiction. There are 30 million copies of these books in print, as well as reprints in 30 foreign languages. Her novels range from science fiction to historical fiction, from romance to mystery. After working in contemporary and historical romance, she became an innovator in the genre of romantic ...more
More about Elizabeth Lowell...