Start by marking “This Time Love” as Want to Read:
This Time Love

This Time Love

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  663 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Joy Anderson was young and trusting when she served as a guide for aspiring journalist Gabe Venture. Surrounded by the staggering natural beauty of New Mexico's Lost River Cave, Joy gave herself freely to the most extraordinary man she had ever known. But even the passion they shared could not hold him—and Gabe left Joy with a broken heart . . . and, nine months later, wit ...more
Published October 28th 2003 by Avon (first published January 1986)

To ask other readers questions about This Time Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Time Love

Lindig
I've read a fair amount of Lowell's books and, in general, I think she's pretty good. But not this time. The two main characters are so entrenched in their bitterness and hate because of a shared history and drastic miscommunication that their attitudes quickly become irritating and uncomfortable.

We do learn a fair amount about caving, which is very interesting (the heroine is an expert; he's an adventure writer). But it's not enough to counteract the constant sniping at each other, and then the
Gail
Hero & heroine have a past, and a child he doesn't know about. There's bitterness between them but when he comes back to the New Mexico cave where they first met & fell in love, they have a chance to get it right. I really liked this a lot. As per Lowell's usual wonderfulness, she makes you see the beauty of the caves, and then uses them as all kinds of metaphor for the relationship. Lovely, lovely story.
Susan
Caves fascinate me, and I've always wished I had both the courage and the opportunity to explore an undeveloped cave. I read this book after seeing an astonishingly beautiful National Geographic feature on the still largely unmapped cave system that stretches for countless miles beneath New Mexico. The novel is so-so as a romance, but Lowell's detailed account of caving, its risks and wonders, made it impossible to put down. The depth of research is impressive, as is her ability to put the reade ...more
Krissy
Not bad. Just a little wordy at times. I found myself skimming a lot once the story started getting into all the technical scientific cave terminology (which it did numerous times). So most of the scenes where the characters were in the caves exploring I just blah blah blah'd my way through. Reading just enough to get the gist of the scene. I was more interested in the relationship between the MCs. I was satisfied how the book ended. That's about it.
Liz
If you really like exploring caves and sexy romance, you'll enjoy this book. It says "A Classic Love Story" on the front, and that is definitely what it is: boy loves girl, girl loves boy, and misunderstanding keeps them apart. The cave definitions and explanations were too detailed for me, but if you like that kind of thing you'll enjoy it.
Crystal Bennett
A lovely story. I think it speaks well of Lowell's ability to describe settings when I say that this book made me feel seriously claustrophobic! And at times the caving analogies got a little over the top...but overall an enjoyable read.
Terri Tinkel
Of course,this book had a romance. A romance that was in place 7 years before the story begins. A tale of two lovers who had some miscommunications and think they hate each other when they meet again after all the time has passed by. But along with the usual love story, there was also a story about caving. Everything you might want to know about how to work in caves, discover new paths within the earth and protect and appreciate the wonders of Nature are in this book. I thought the descriptions ...more
Carolyne
far too much caving detail, however, to her credit she got it all right :)
Sharon
Too many pages spent on telling the same thing over and over again. Seriously, I got it the first time!
Myndi
Described on the cover as a classic love story, I have to agree! The prologue gave enough of the back story to get you intrigued and going into the chapters I was already hooked. The miscommunications that caused all the heartbreak were believable and frustrating all at the same time. The lingo about caving was enough to let you know what was going on, but not so much as to bore or sound to text book-ish. The ending revealing something about some of the lesser characters was a bit of a pleasant ...more
Jeanne Jenkins
I have never given a book such a low rating. I liked the story line, even the part about caving. Unlike other reviews I read, I did not think it was too much information on caving. I also liked the love story about Gabe and Joy. The reason I have it such a low rating was a personal preference. I do NOT like the fact that the 'sex descriptions' were so detailed. It was not necessary to the plot. I do not like something that should be a private matter told so openly. Therefore I will not be readin ...more
Dpic
Feb 08, 2014 Dpic added it
not liked; caving
Amy
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I liked the way the main characters really took a good look at themselves and grew with that knowledge. It is something that we all need to do from time to time to realize the person we are and the one we want to be. It also brought up my curiosity of caves and made me wish I could see what they were describing. Will definitely check out Elizabeth's other books. This is a definite two thumbs up!
Cynthia
Eh. This was a bit boring. A Big Mis and more facts about caving than you could get out of a tour guide make up the first half. By then, the books momentum was so sluggish I had a hard time caring about the second half. Also, I didn't like the characters much; they were pretty 1-D.

Basically, the setting and set up could have led to a great story, but it just kind of moldered and didn't do much.
Kendra
I really loved this book! It was such a sweet yet rocky romance novel. It also was very elaborate with its descriptions of the cave! The characters were very in depth and entrancing; the story itself was captivating and original. It had me laughing and crying, right along with the main character, Joy. The ideal romance novel - just enough sex, romance, action, and drama to keep things interesting.
Meaghan
always a winner with elizabeth lowell.
Chris Eboch
I usually like Elizabeth Lowell a lot, but this was a weaker offering. She obviously did her research about the caving, but included so much detail that the plot dragged. Plus, the main characters could have solved most of their problems simply by having an honest conversation, so the misunderstandings and blame got tedious after a while.
Liann Darby
This romance revolves around the profession of cave exploration. The descriptions of what this cave looks like were amazing and there were times I actually felt claustrophobic from the descriptions of crawling through the tight spaces to find something new both in the cave and their relationship.
Dianna
Really like this author, so reading everything D.A. Hurd Library has by her. So you will see a lot of stuff by Elizabeth Lowell going up on my shelf here for a couple more weeks. The last couple of books that I have read by her, at least, she has been having fun with puns. I like punny people!
Dana
Gabe and Joy

Sometimes with EL's books, I get more caught up in her chosen field of expertise for the novel then I do with the actual characters. Such was the case with This Time Love. It wa great to learn about caving, the rest of the story left quite a bit to be desired.

Alexis-Morgan Roark
I just wanted to shout, Get over it already!!!!" That pretty much sums it up for me with this book. Well, that and the fact that I learned waaaaaay too much about caving and found myself re-reading passages because I just couldn't grasp what the heck she was talking about.
Jaime Atkins
I'm so glad I didn't check the ratings before I read this. I thought it was great!!! The beauty described in the exploration of the cave was an added bonus. This was the first of Lowell's books that I have read and I will definitely be reading more.
C K
This is an author that I have read a lot of and have added her books to my 'keeper' book shelf. Most I have read at least twice and some even more than that. Always in depth characters that anyone can identify with on some level.
PastAllReason
A re-writing of a series romance, a story about caving, really becomes a story about caving as author Elizabeth Lowell becomes preoccupied with details of the science of cave formation and collapse and the caving experience.
Artha
Romance is not my genre, so for a book with no murder or mayhem it wasn't too bad. I liked the characters, I think it dragged a little in the middle, carrying out the oh I love him but a little to much, but not bad!!
Joanne
Gave left Joy not only with a broken heart but pregnant. Seven years later he returns to find some inner peace and finds Joy and the daughter he never knew about. Can Joy forgive the past and trust again.
Penny Schmit
I agree with other people on this one. The story was great, good info on caving, but it did drag on in some places. Not my favorite Elizabeth Lowell book, but I will keep reading more of them.
Mary Lizotte
Good book that takes you into the world of caving along with a love story. I could visualize the experience of going underground with the descriptive way Elizabeth Lowell writes.
Brandy
This book was pretty good but very predictable and the caving aspect was very interesting but got to be a little much and deep at times. The story did turn out the way you wanted it to go.
  • The Diamond Tiger
  • Finding Home
  • Brides to Be
  • Perfect Partners
  • The Forever Dream
  • The Matchmaker (Once Upon A Time, #6)
  • Always in My Heart
  • The Lady Is Tempted
  • There's Something About St. Tropez
  • Finding You
  • Fatty Patty (A James Bay Novel, #1)
  • Maiden of Inverness (Border, #4)
  • Another Man's Son
  • Mountain Dreams
19051
Individually and with co-author/husband Evan, Ann Maxwell has written over 60 novels and one non-fiction book. There are 30 million copies of these books in print, as well as reprints in 30 foreign languages. The novels range from science fiction to historical fiction, from romance to mystery to suspense.

In 1982, Ann began publishing as Elizabeth Lowell. Under that name she has received numerous p
More about Elizabeth Lowell...
Untamed (Medieval, #1) Amber Beach (Donovan, #1) Die in Plain Sight (Rarities Unlimited, #3) Enchanted (Medieval, #3) Pearl Cove (Donovan, #3)