Start by marking “The Collected Poems” as Want to Read:
The Collected Poems

The Collected Poems

This volume constitutes the authorized canon of A.E. Housman's verse as it was established in 1939, three years after his death. In contains A Shropshire Lad, Last Poems, More Poems, the Additional Poems, and the three translations from A.W. Pollard's anthology, Odes from the Greek Dramatists.
Paperback, Revised Edition, 256 pages
Published April 15th 1971 by Holt Paperbacks (first published 1946)

To ask other readers questions about The Collected Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Collected Poems

The Complete Stories and Poems by Edgar Allan PoeThe Poetry of Robert Frost by Robert FrostThe Complete Poems by Emily DickinsonThe Selected Poetry of Rainer Maria Rilke by Rainer Maria RilkeThe Complete Poems by John Keats
Best Poets
262 books — 310 voters
Crush by Richard SikenThe Fact of a Doorframe by Adrienne RichThe Collected Poems of Frank O'Hara by Frank O'HaraLeaves of Grass by Walt WhitmanHowl by Allen Ginsberg
Gay/Queer Poetry
136 books — 49 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily
Nov 17, 2007 Emily rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites:

XVI

How clear, how lovely bright
How beautiful to sight
Those beams of morning play;
How heaven laughs out with glee
Where, like a bird set free,
Up from the eastern sea
Soars the delightful day.

To-day I shall be strong,
No more shall yield to wrong,
Shall squander life no more;
Days lost, I know not how,
I shall retrieve them now;
Now I shall keep the vow
I never kept before.

Ensanguining the skies
How heavily it dies
Into the west away;
Past touch and sight and sound
Not further to be f
Bryn Hammond
Jan 06, 2015 Bryn Hammond rated it it was amazing
I have loved, do love and shall love Housman. Way out of fashion, like my other young love Swinburne. I spent more time with them than with those thought better poets, early in life, and have no regrets. It's true the alt sexuality helped in both cases. Perhaps I can liken Housman to the lyrics of The Smiths. I think I can.
Ivan
Jun 29, 2013 Ivan rated it it was amazing
Unrequited love and youthful death are the author's recurrent themes. Always forthright and devoid of the esoteric and modernistic qualities of more revered poets, Housman's work, though imbued with a pronounced melancholy, is never strident or sanctimonious. It is through the symmetry of theme that Housman achieves the solemnity which lends these justly celebrated poems their stature.
I feel that any discussion of A. E. Housman's poetry should first acknowledge that he was never a poet in the sa
DoctorM
Nov 24, 2010 DoctorM rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites, poetry
Yes, I know. How dreadfully unfashionable! And yet... I've loved Housman's poetry since high school. I love his pastiches of both Sappho and the Greek Anthology, I love the clear-eyed and Stoic sense of fate and loss, I love the crisp precision. This is a volume I've had on my shelves since I was sixteen--- replaced over and over. And it'll always be a favourite.
Meg

So I was ready
When trouble came.

James
Jul 13, 2011 James rated it liked it
Forgive the format but I couldn't resist:

I read this collection
Whilst suffering the heat
Of another year's vacation
And found the writer neat.

While maudlin and morose,
Houseman's depiction of youthful love
As naive, beautiful and verbose
Fit my memories of it like a glove.
Edward
Introduction, by Nick Laird

--A Shropshire Lad

Last Poems
--I. The West
--II. 'As I gird on for fighting . . .'
--III. 'Her strong enchantments failing . . .'
--IV. Illic Jacet
--V. Grenadier
--VI. Lancer
--VII. 'In valleys green and still . . .'
--VIII. 'Soldier from the wars returning . . .'
--IX. 'The chestnut casts his flambeaux, and the flowers . . .'
--X. 'Could man be drunk for ever . . .'
--XI. 'Yonder see the morning blink . . .'
--XII. 'The laws of God, the laws of man . . .'
--XIII. The Deserter
--XI
Norbert
Nov 21, 2009 Norbert rated it liked it
In general, I am not too fond of Housman's poetry for the simple reason that he is stark, brooding, pessimistic, disappointed (e.g., in love and friendship, to the point of cynicism), and morose. However, even the most negative poems offer glimmers of insight, and one such example is perhaps his most famous work:

It is in truth iniquity on high
To cheat our sentenced souls of aught they crave,
And mar the merriment as you and I
Fare on our long fool's-errand to the grave.
~ A.E. Housman, "The Chest
Henry C.
Mar 31, 2014 Henry C. rated it really liked it
There are better and, probably, more fierce poets. Poets with a broader range of work, who show greater depth of subject matters and setting. Poets who depend less on rhyme schemes, which can make deeply felt themes feel overly simple or insufficiently tricky or not-quite-grave-enough or ... something.

So what? Why not celebrate accessibility? A.E. Housman's smooth, lyrical style makes his poetry easy to absorb. To dismiss it, as some do, for its rhyming and its relative ease of entry is a fooli
Oliver Fallon
When green buds hang in the elm like dust
And sprinkle the lime like rain,
Forth I wander, forth I must
And drink of life again.

Forth I must by hedgerow bowers
To look at the leaves uncurled
And stand in the fields where cuckoo flowers
Are lying about the world.

How does it work? Why is it so sad?

The explicit arrival of spring is undermined by the use of words at the end of the first two lines suggestive of death: 'dust' as in 'ashes to ashes, dust to dust'; the double meaning of 'sprinkle the l
Jon Corelis
Jan 22, 2013 Jon Corelis rated it it was amazing
A great classic

***** A Five Star Poetry Book: Recommended for All Readers

A. E. Housman was one of the great English poets, and people who are into reading English language poetry will hardly need a review: they will want to have a copy of his works, and will only need to know that this is the edition to get, since it includes the canon of his work as authorized by his brother Laurence, in an attractively designed, easy to read volume. (There are several editions published by Holt beginning in 19
Nelson
Feb 27, 2012 Nelson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not stupid stuff. But reading a lot of Housman at a sitting is like consuming a sheet of marzipan. I think he's best taken in smaller portions. Near the entirety of his verse is in ballad meter or in one of his many minor variations on that form. So tooling through three or four dozen of them at a time, they do tend to blend together because of a unanimity of theme, vocabulary and style. The poems are much about the death of young men, unrequited love and pessimism. In some ways, Housman ...more
Emil Petersen
Dec 05, 2015 Emil Petersen rated it liked it
There is a certain kind of sadness to many of the poems in this collection; a sadness that in all probability stems from the Housman's struggle with his own feelings and homosexuality throughout his life. The last piece of text in this collection is actually not from Housman himself, but a letter from Housman's brother that delves into this kept secret. The letter was, by order, not to be opened until 25 years after his death - in a time where the world was hopefully more tolerant and ...more
Christina Rau
Aug 28, 2015 Christina Rau rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
I'm not a form poet, mostly because I suck at it. I usually don't read form, either, because I start to sing-song it in my head when I hear the rhythm, and then I take too long to finish whatever I'm reading because I sing the whole thing. A. E. Houseman's Collected Poems are no exception. I sang the collection. Contrary to my normal tastes, however, I liked a lot of the poems. They were beautiful. I don't often say that about poetry.

Here's a collection of simple storied verse containing most o
R.J. Lynch
Jul 11, 2014 R.J. Lynch rated it really liked it
Perhaps the most surprising thing about Housman is that he wasn't a Shropshire lad at all and was quite possibly never in Shropshire at all, at least until he was buried there. The "blue remembered hills" were what he remembered seeing at a distance from his Worcestershire home. The yearning tone of many of these poems reflects the unfulfilled life he led as well as his sympathy for those whose lives were unfulfilled in ways different from his (I'm thinking particularly of Is My Team Ploughing?) ...more
adrienne
Mar 28, 2010 adrienne rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
every now and again Housman fits my mood perfectly- mainly when i'm feeling unbearably pessimistic and broken. Having read about his (apparently) unrequited love for his dear friend Jackson makes Housman's poetry even more depressing to read. If you're in a good mood, his writing will seem either petty or change your disposition rather drastically. If you're miserable, hide anything sharp before reading.
Ali
Jan 23, 2008 Ali rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favorites
I fell in love with A.E. Housman's poetry when I was a freshman in high school. Easily my favorite poet, his written word often leaves me with goosebumps and tears welling up in my eyes. That, to me, is the sign of true talent. I cannot say enough about this man's work! Buy the book. You won't be sorry.
Jake
Aug 14, 2014 Jake rated it really liked it
Houseman did not have a large output of material but it only serves to show the quality of his work, only picking up his pen when he was truly inspired payed off. One of my favourite British poets. Tender and timeless.
Lucy
Oct 20, 2015 Lucy rated it it was amazing
If he'd never written anything but 'Into my heart an air that kills' and 'The night is freezing fast', then he would be a great poet. He has such a constant voice, style, idiom and theme so perfectly matched always. This should be on the shelf of anyone who loves poetry.
Liz B
Jul 18, 2007 Liz B rated it it was amazing
I've gone through phases with Housman--I loved his poetry in high school, then in college I decided it was too simple. Now, I love it for its surface simplicity & hidden depths. My all time favorite is "Terence, This Is Stupid Stuff."
Richard Epstein
Nov 24, 2013 Richard Epstein rated it it was amazing
It is hard to rate the indispensable books in your life. I can't imagine never having encountered Housman, nor what my poetry would be like if I hadn't. It doesn't matter much to me if it's "good," only that it's there.
Teresa
Jul 19, 2013 Teresa rated it liked it
I don't mind reading about sad topics or death or misery. Housman made me miserable with him, but only sometimes because the writing drew me in. Many of these poems just grated on my nerves, but the occasional gem made it worth the read.
Ooby
Jun 07, 2015 Ooby marked it as shelved
Recommends it for: Morrissey fans
Shelves: poetry, favorites, library
Stately and gloomy, I assume the tone and content of his poetry resembles that of the Classical shit he taught for a living, but I have no idea if that's true.
Vlad
Apr 11, 2013 Vlad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"When I meet the morning beam
Or lay me down at night to dream,
I hear my bones within me say,
'Abother night, another day."
Jodi
Apr 11, 2009 Jodi rated it liked it
I don't like Housman as a rule although I know the Shropshire Lad is very well liked. Something about his way of looking at the world sets my teeth on edge...
Jess
Aug 25, 2016 Jess rated it it was amazing
I find Housman's work oddly compelling and have read and re-read it for years - have gone so far as to lobby for a faculty colleague to include Housman's work in his British poetry survey class...
nsnails
Mar 22, 2015 nsnails rated it really liked it
It's really a picture of his life when read all the way through. If a poem doesn't make sense...then read the poem before it and the one afterwards to help. Great stories altogether.
Ian Fairclough
Caution. My copy (bought second-hand) has a production error. P. 49-80 are missing. After p. 112, p. 81-112 are repeated.
Paul Dyczkowski
Paul Dyczkowski rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2012
Libby
Libby rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2010
  • The Complete Poems
  • The Complete Poems
  • Poems and Translations
  • Poems and Ballads & Atalanta in Calydon
Alfred Edward (A.E.) Housman was a noted classical scholar and a poet. To the wider public he is best known for his poem "A Shropshire Lad" (1896), while to his fellow classicists it is his critical editing of Manilius that has earned him enduring fame.

Housman was born on March 26, 1859 in Fockbury, Worcestershire, England, the eldest of seven children. A gifted student Housman won a scholarship t
More about A.E. Housman...

“Could man be drunk for ever
      With liquor, love, or fights,
Lief should I rouse at morning
      And lief lie down of nights.

But men at whiles are sober
      And think by fits and starts,
And if they think, they fasten
      Their hands upon their hearts.”
25 likes
“Halt by the headstone naming
The heart no longer stirred,
And say the lad that loved you
Was one that kept his word.”
7 likes