Start by marking “Wry Martinis” as Want to Read:
Wry Martinis

Wry Martinis

"Fifty years ago, the three funniest writers in the English language were named Shaw, Mencken and Muggeridge. Today, they're named Thompson, O'Rourke and Christopher Buckley.Read this book and you'll die laughing. But as Wrong-Way Kennedy said, 'What a way to go.'"
-- Tom Wolfe

"Funny and devastating."
-- Entertainment Weekly

"Clever, erudite, sophisticated, funny and flip.
Published March 4th 1998 by Harper Perennial (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Wry Martinis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wry Martinis

Robin
Oct 31, 2015 Robin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-in-15
79s/80s/90s Buckley. I suspect many of these essays would be laugh-out-loud funny to my parents, to pick a random example. Like so many things, I understand that it's funny, I'm just not sure why. (I have the same experience with Monkey Business jokes and Sandinista jokes.)
Still, some hilarious pieces, some really good pieces, some pieces that were obviously inspiration or research for his books. Some outright mentions of his books.
And I found his essay on the Vietnam War, his draft review, coll
Kelly
Jun 19, 2007 Kelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cynical people who appreciate a dry sense of humor
Okay, so he's not quite his daddy. He's different, and a hell of a lot funnier. This is the guy who wrote Thank You For Smoking. These are some essays and pieces he's written over the years for the New Yorker and The New Republic. I picked this up my senior year of high school when I was feeling smart for knowing who Christopher Buckley was. Anyway, it was worth the money. I really liked this collection quite a bit, and whipped through it over the course of a week. Very funny in a 'Oh, how amusi ...more
Glen Engel-Cox
Sep 11, 2015 Glen Engel-Cox rated it really liked it
A collection of essays and other little bits by the scion of William F. Buckley. You know, Christopher Buckley probably hates the fact that his family connection is constantly brought up in reviews, and I would be a touch more sensitive to his feelings, but, frankly, I think he’s profited from it and why not give credit where it is due? I’ll admit it–I’m envious. Here was a boy born with a golden dictionary in his hand and money to boot. And then he gets to go to Harvard, work on the Harvard Lam ...more
Brian
Apr 09, 2016 Brian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection is the first nonfiction of Christopher Buckley’s I have read, although I have read most of his novels. His wit and humor is on display in his nonfiction as vibrantly as it is in his fiction. Maybe more so.
“Wry Martinis” starts off with a nice intro called “My Title Problem”. It begins the collection with a bang, supplying wit and humor and a hint at what is to come.
Now this collection was published in 1997 and most of the pieces are from the eighties and nineties, and so it is ve
Elizabeth
Nov 04, 2010 Elizabeth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 52-in-2010
Wry Martinis by Christopher Buckley (pp. 256)

Acclaimed satirist, Christopher Buckley puts together a collection of previously published magazine articles. I’m a fan of Buckley’s fiction novels and his travel non-fiction is top notch. For the first half of book, I found the title of the book to the most entertaining and interesting piece of writing and had it not been for my own stubbornness, I may have not gotten to the good stuff.

‘Apertifs’, ‘Homage to Tom Clancy’, ‘Spin Cycle’, and ‘Want to Bu
Antisocialite
Entertaining essay collection. I am on the record as having issues with Christopher Buckley, but his stuff generally makes a good light read.

However, I would have been embarrassed to be seen reading this book in public, the cover illustration (combined with the pretty lame title -- it sounds like something some jackass who thinks s/he's the reincarnation of Dorothy Parker might come up with as an internet screen name) was SO INCREDIBLY TERRIBLE. Much worse than the one pictured. (Imagine Christo
Suleman Ali
Jun 13, 2013 Suleman Ali rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour
Wry Martinis is a collection of articles Christopher Buckley has written over the years (80s-90s).

On the whole the articles are well written and many display the humour expected of Buckley. Some of the pieces are enjoyable to read and are still relevant today where they refer to well known personalities (the Bush family) or current events (the military).

However, I found most to relate to personalities and events strongly related to 80s America and so I found little of interest in these. Thats
Lauren
Aug 19, 2011 Lauren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
Christopher Buckley's Wry Martinis is a collection of his articles and columns from the 1990s. That being said, the material was a bit dated. There are several OJ Simpson and Bill Clinton jokes and for some reason, there are several Tom Clancy jabs. The jokes are delivered with his trademark political sarcastic wit, but I definitely prefer his novels to this collection. There is also no cohesiveness to the stories and nothing binding them together. I would have liked to see a foreword or afterwo ...more
Stephanie
Oct 01, 2015 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first Christopher Buckley and it certainly motivated me to read more of his works.
Marti
Sep 10, 2010 Marti rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though it was my husband who had picked out this book at the recent book sale, I decided to read it because I had enjoyed Mr. Buckley's memoir of his parents. It is a complilation of articles which he wrote for various publications over quite a period of time. Some are quite short, others seem a little long, but most are entertaining. Probably the wry could refer to his sense of humor, which is rather good. One oif them, which could have appeared in the memoir is about his mother Pat Buckley, an ...more
Harvey
Jul 21, 2015 Harvey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
- I LOVED Buckley's "Thank You For Smoking" and his "Little Green Men", and even his "That's No Way To Treat A Lady" was really good. This book is a collection of his articles from The New Yorker Magazine and the New York Times, The Washington Post, Esquire, etc., and range from so-so to quite funny
- his article regarding the Pope's appearance on Oprah (to promote his new book) was laugh-out-loud-funny, as were a couple of his O.J. Simpson-themed pieces.
- I'll continue to follow his writing with
Bob Bellamy
Jan 07, 2014 Bob Bellamy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Deeply clever essays. I can't wait for the next collection due out 2014.
Peter
Jun 16, 2009 Peter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice collection. There are some hits, some misses. Buckley is clearly a craftsman, when it comes to writing, as I expected. A few of the essays have parts that make you want to laugh or gasp on the subway. Definitely recommend it. I will definitely read more of him.
Megan Barnes
Mar 05, 2011 Megan Barnes rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It just wasn't funny. I would say the humor was dated from writing it for magazines from the 90s, but I read some of it in the New Yorker then, and it wasn't funny when it was timely, either.
Beverly
Dec 26, 2012 Beverly rated it really liked it
Witty, clever, a periscope view of the 70s and 80s. Most of the essays in this collection are funny, a few are serious (the "Formative Years" section is the best of both).
Rachael
Technically I've been "currently reading" this book for months. I do love his short stories, but these have been dragging. I think I need to skip to another section.
Rita
Feb 09, 2013 Rita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Lynn
Mar 16, 2013 Lynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
Well-written and topical essays that have appeared elsewhere but mostly missed by attention. Entertaining and thoughtful.
Artem Huletski
Романы, объединённые общей идеей, удаются Бакли лучше. Этот сборник тоже неплох, но на фоне opus magnum слабоват.
DeAnne
Apr 26, 2013 DeAnne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of good columns. Some insight into the D.C. world, which is so alien to us normal humans. Plenty of humor.
Kim
Apr 28, 2008 Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delightful, delightful, delightful. Unbridled snark. The reviews of Tom Clancy's novels are gems.
Shannon Kearns
Dec 31, 2011 Shannon Kearns rated it really liked it
Just started reading the foreword and already I'm laughing! I love Christopher Buckley!
Irina
Dec 24, 2009 Irina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great readings- short stories published in the magazines in 1987-1996, fun to read.
Rae
Aug 14, 2008 Rae rated it it was ok
A collection of essays and magazine pieces by Christopher Buckley. I wasn't enthralled.
Jim
Jan 12, 2009 Jim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
An entertaining, quick read. Especially liked his essay on his children's homework.
Joe Faust
A mixed bag of mostly entertaining essays.
Jjudyfl
...a gently humorous book to avoid the 11pm news
Michael
Jul 21, 2009 Michael is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Currently reading this collection of somewhat amusing essays.
Matthew Dambro
Matthew Dambro marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Aimee
Aimee marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
  • The Darwin Awards Countdown to Extinction
  • Andy Rooney: 60 Years of Wisdom and Wit
  • Don't Be That Guy: A Collection of 60 Annoying Guys We All Know and Wish We Didn't
  • The Elements of F*cking Style: A Helpful Parody
  • Viva la Repartee: Clever Comebacks and Witty Retorts from History's Great Wits and Wordsmiths
  • I'll Mature When I'm Dead: Dave Barry's Amazing Tales of Adulthood
  • What I'd Say to the Martians and Other Veiled Threats
  • Give War a Chance: Eyewitness Accounts of Mankind's Struggle Against Tyranny, Injustice, and Alcohol-Free Beer
  • The Real Housewives Get Personal
  • A Ghost in the Closet: A Nancy Clue and Hardly Boys Mystery
  • Stuff Hipsters Hate: A Field Guide to the Passionate Opinions of the Indifferent
  • Bad, or the Dumbing of America
  • The 776 Stupidest Things Ever Said
  • It Is Just You   Everything's Not Shit
  • Coyote v. Acme
  • 2012 Writer's Market
  • Check, Please!: Dating, Mating, and Extricating
  • The Lynne Truss Treasury: Columns and Three Comic Novels
Christopher Buckley graduated cum laude from Yale University in 1976. He shipped out in the Merchant Marine and at age 24 became managing editor of Esquire magazine. At age 29, he became chief speechwriter to the Vice President of the United States, George H.W. Bush. Since 1989 he has been founder and editor-in-chief of Forbes Life magazine.

Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Good
More about Christopher Buckley...

“between G and H Streets, and bore the characteristic “eagle” watermark. Ryan decided that the eagle” 0 likes