Start by marking “Wry Martinis” as Want to Read:
Wry Martinis

Wry Martinis

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  366 ratings  ·  23 reviews
"Fifty years ago, the three funniest writers in the English language were named Shaw, Mencken and Muggeridge. Today, they're named Thompson, O'Rourke and Christopher Buckley.Read this book and you'll die laughing. But as Wrong-Way Kennedy said, 'What a way to go.'"
-- Tom Wolfe

"Funny and devastating."
-- Entertainment Weekly

"Clever, erudite, sophisticated, funny and flip.
Published March 4th 1998 by Harper Perennial (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Wry Martinis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wry Martinis

Kelly
Jun 19, 2007 Kelly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cynical people who appreciate a dry sense of humor
Okay, so he's not quite his daddy. He's different, and a hell of a lot funnier. This is the guy who wrote Thank You For Smoking. These are some essays and pieces he's written over the years for the New Yorker and The New Republic. I picked this up my senior year of high school when I was feeling smart for knowing who Christopher Buckley was. Anyway, it was worth the money. I really liked this collection quite a bit, and whipped through it over the course of a week. Very funny in a 'Oh, how amusi ...more
Elizabeth
Wry Martinis by Christopher Buckley (pp. 256)

Acclaimed satirist, Christopher Buckley puts together a collection of previously published magazine articles. I’m a fan of Buckley’s fiction novels and his travel non-fiction is top notch. For the first half of book, I found the title of the book to the most entertaining and interesting piece of writing and had it not been for my own stubbornness, I may have not gotten to the good stuff.

‘Apertifs’, ‘Homage to Tom Clancy’, ‘Spin Cycle’, and ‘Want to Bu
Antisocialite
Entertaining essay collection. I am on the record as having issues with Christopher Buckley, but his stuff generally makes a good light read.

However, I would have been embarrassed to be seen reading this book in public, the cover illustration (combined with the pretty lame title -- it sounds like something some jackass who thinks s/he's the reincarnation of Dorothy Parker might come up with as an internet screen name) was SO INCREDIBLY TERRIBLE. Much worse than the one pictured. (Imagine Christo
Suleman Ali
Wry Martinis is a collection of articles Christopher Buckley has written over the years (80s-90s).

On the whole the articles are well written and many display the humour expected of Buckley. Some of the pieces are enjoyable to read and are still relevant today where they refer to well known personalities (the Bush family) or current events (the military).

However, I found most to relate to personalities and events strongly related to 80s America and so I found little of interest in these. Thats
Lauren
Christopher Buckley's Wry Martinis is a collection of his articles and columns from the 1990s. That being said, the material was a bit dated. There are several OJ Simpson and Bill Clinton jokes and for some reason, there are several Tom Clancy jabs. The jokes are delivered with his trademark political sarcastic wit, but I definitely prefer his novels to this collection. There is also no cohesiveness to the stories and nothing binding them together. I would have liked to see a foreword or afterwo ...more
Marti
Though it was my husband who had picked out this book at the recent book sale, I decided to read it because I had enjoyed Mr. Buckley's memoir of his parents. It is a complilation of articles which he wrote for various publications over quite a period of time. Some are quite short, others seem a little long, but most are entertaining. Probably the wry could refer to his sense of humor, which is rather good. One oif them, which could have appeared in the memoir is about his mother Pat Buckley, an ...more
Bob Bellamy
Deeply clever essays. I can't wait for the next collection due out 2014.
Peter
A nice collection. There are some hits, some misses. Buckley is clearly a craftsman, when it comes to writing, as I expected. A few of the essays have parts that make you want to laugh or gasp on the subway. Definitely recommend it. I will definitely read more of him.
Megan Barnes
It just wasn't funny. I would say the humor was dated from writing it for magazines from the 90s, but I read some of it in the New Yorker then, and it wasn't funny when it was timely, either.
Beverly
Witty, clever, a periscope view of the 70s and 80s. Most of the essays in this collection are funny, a few are serious (the "Formative Years" section is the best of both).
Rachael
Technically I've been "currently reading" this book for months. I do love his short stories, but these have been dragging. I think I need to skip to another section.
Lynn
Well-written and topical essays that have appeared elsewhere but mostly missed by attention. Entertaining and thoughtful.
Artem Huletski
Романы, объединённые общей идеей, удаются Бакли лучше. Этот сборник тоже неплох, но на фоне opus magnum слабоват.
DeAnne
Lots of good columns. Some insight into the D.C. world, which is so alien to us normal humans. Plenty of humor.
Kim
Delightful, delightful, delightful. Unbridled snark. The reviews of Tom Clancy's novels are gems.
Shannon Kearns
Just started reading the foreword and already I'm laughing! I love Christopher Buckley!
Irina
Great readings- short stories published in the magazines in 1987-1996, fun to read.
Rae
A collection of essays and magazine pieces by Christopher Buckley. I wasn't enthralled.
Jim
An entertaining, quick read. Especially liked his essay on his children's homework.
Joe Faust
A mixed bag of mostly entertaining essays.
Jjudyfl
...a gently humorous book to avoid the 11pm news
Michael
Jul 21, 2009 Michael is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Currently reading this collection of somewhat amusing essays.
Molly
Molly marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Brock
Brock added it
Nov 14, 2014
  • Don't Be That Guy: A Collection of 60 Annoying Guys We All Know and Wish We Didn't
  • Andy Rooney: 60 Years of Wisdom and Wit
  • What I'd Say to the Martians and Other Veiled Threats
  • The Elements of F*cking Style: A Helpful Parody
  • Viva la Repartee: Clever Comebacks and Witty Retorts from History's Great Wits and Wordsmiths
  • The Darwin Awards Countdown to Extinction
  • I'll Mature When I'm Dead: Dave Barry's Amazing Tales of Adulthood
  • The Real Housewives Get Personal
  • Give War a Chance: Eyewitness Accounts of Mankind's Struggle Against Tyranny, Injustice, and Alcohol-Free Beer
  • Check, Please!: Dating, Mating, & Extricating
  • I'm with Stupid: One Man, One Woman, 10,000 Years of Misunderstanding Between the Sexes Cleared Right Up
  • Coyote v. Acme
  • Kinky Friedman's Guide to Texas Etiquette: Or How to Get to Heaven or Hell Without Going Through Dallas-Fort Worth
  • You Did What?: Mad Plans and Great Historical Disasters
  • Stuff Hipsters Hate: A Field Guide to the Passionate Opinions of the Indifferent
  • The 5-Minute Iliad and Other Instant Classics: Great Books For The Short Attention Span
  • The Deer on a Bicycle: Excursions Into the Writing of Humor
  • 2012 Writer's Market
Christopher Buckley graduated cum laude from Yale University in 1976. He shipped out in the Merchant Marine and at age 24 became managing editor of Esquire magazine. At age 29, he became chief speechwriter to the Vice President of the United States, George H.W. Bush. Since 1989 he has been founder and editor-in-chief of Forbes Life magazine.

Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Good
More about Christopher Buckley...
Thank You for Smoking Boomsday Supreme Courtship No Way to Treat a First Lady Little Green Men

“between G and H Streets, and bore the characteristic “eagle” watermark. Ryan decided that the eagle” 0 likes