Start by marking “Murder of Angels” as Want to Read:
Murder of Angels

Murder of Angels (Silk #2)

PNiki Ky spends her days in a medicated haze, haunted by the ghosts of those she left behind ten years ago after a confrontation against an unspeakable evil that left her shattered. To find peace, Niki must return to the house on the side of Red Mountain in Birmingham, Alabama-to face creatures no human should ever have to face...
Published April 1st 2008 by Penguin Group (USA) (first published August 29th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Murder of Angels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder of Angels

Althea Ann
Although it doesn't say it anywhere on/in the book, this is a sequel to 'Silk.' I've already read Silk, so that was convenient. However, this works perfectly well as a stand-alone novel. The events of the past are a significant, driving force to the plot, but they're explained, as necessary, as the book moves forward. The overall feeling is like that of real life, when one meets a person and significant events have already occurred in their lives. Fiction often fails to convey that; this succeed ...more
I picked up this book because of Kiernan's fabulous and very creepy short story in Lovecraft Unbound, "Houses Under the Sea". This horror novel is disturbing and weird in the best way, and I can see why she is the Lovecraftian heir after reading it. The writing is beautiful and nightmarish but I'm not sure I followed all of the plot; then again, with the unreliable narrators (schizophrenics and alcoholics and other tormented people), I'm not sure it's supposed to be wholly figured out. The setti ...more
Josh Hawkins
This was a different one for me. I usually lean toward the Horror/Fantasy stories that are somewhat grounded in reality (King, Saul, etc). The story, in a nutshell, is about 3 lesbian girls (one a rock star, one a goth and the other a diagnosed schizophrenic under the care of a gay nurse (the author is homosexual) who all play a part in a extra-dimensional power struggle to open a doorway between this world and another in order to dispatch a seemingly evil, devil-like entity whom we never get to ...more
Jul 25, 2007 mister rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ?
Shelves: darkandviolent
another awesome book by this lady. This one is more of a rock and roll, sci-fi/multiverse novel about archetypes gone bad, abuse, retribution, going crazy, suicide, and the strange world that exists, right there on the other side. once again, expect lots of blood, despair and violence!!
4 1/2 star Review.
Although I have never really been one for reading of a series, I really LOVED this sequel to Silk, and found it could stand very well on its own. I am very fond of the beautiful language used, the most graphic and gory scenes were written out so that you find a dark beauty in it. The characters are unforgettable, I found myself routing for the Hierophant. The scenery was absolutely gorgeous, Kiernan created an entire underworld of monsters so well, that you have no idea who is
Jeremy Preacher
May 20, 2015 Jeremy Preacher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Murder of Angels is half a distressingly realistic examination of the effects of suicide and mental illness on relationships, and half a... portal fantasy? Kind of? It's a grim, apocalyptic cross-dimensional quest, sort of, but it's mostly just the extended fallout from Silk.

I shouldn't say "just". It's a dark, complex, and serious book, and it has a whole bunch of things to say about the way abuse gets passed around and about the difficulty and danger of pouring all of yourself into taking care
Dec 31, 2009 Rachel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
Feb 23, 2011 Jason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2011
5 Stars... Caitlin Kiernan is one of my very favorite authors, she pretty much had me hooked when I read her for the first time (The Red Tree). This book is the sequel to Silk, a horror masterpiece that is a character driven novel that is filled with monsters, demons, angels, and lots of nasty spiders.

In this one Niki Ky is our main protagonist even though Daria and Spyder still are present and have major parts to play. The Hierophant Niki is called, the last hope, the only possible Saviour to
Jun 30, 2009 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful follow up to Kiernan's "Silk," this book explores the downward spiral of Niki Ky into darkness and mental illness. The reader struggles with Niki trying to sort out what is real and what is imagined as she slides deeper and deeper into nightmarish landscapes where she is alternately told she is the world's only hope or the bringer of its destruction.

As the title implies, this is a dark read and not something for kids under at least 15. But for adults and older teens who like their f
Ralph McEwen
I can understand how this book got such high ratings, it is very descriptive, full of twisted imagery and the story is intriguing. That being said I still didn't enjoy the book as much as I got through the book. I seem to have trouble with the disjointed and abrupt changes from our world and the other world.
Sep 28, 2009 Tashie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book makes my brain hurt. The first 50 pages were hard to get through but once past that it really picked up and got interesting. If you like a schitzophrenic lesbian than this is the book for you.
I'm torn between liking Kiernan's writing and the characters, and finding the actual plot (and, to a lesser extent, pacing) to be an absolute mess. Having read Silk and The Drowning Girl, I was expecting a large amount of explanation to come near the end, which kept me eagerly reading (I finished this in two days, fast by my standards), the problem being that those details never actually showed up. It's not that I don't understand what happened, just that the logic behind it doesn't work for me ...more
Jul 08, 2013 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sequel the way they are meant to be. Silk was a great book but a little confusing if you weren't paying close attention. Murder of Angels takes the mythology laid out in the first book and expands on it. The reader knows more about what's going on between Niki and Spyder, the mythology they are working with, and what Niki has to do to save her world from the monsters that almost scared me to death in Silk. In fact, one moment with Spyder was almost an info-dump, which is so unlike Kiernan I di ...more
Tama Wise
I had high hopes for this book, but it fell rather short in my opinion. It was well written, I guess, which I would expect from this author, but I didn't really care about any of the characters. One of them main characters was a bit of a bitch. The others felt flat. And it wasn't until about three quarters of the way through the story actually got interesting.

By then, the main character was wandering around going 'I dont understand' (at about the same rate as me, the reader) and everyone else wa
I enjoyed this book and very much liked the story. Unfortunately, I read it before reading Silk. I was able to follow the story and appreciate the characters (speaking of - that is one of the main reasons why Kiernan is one of my favorite authors - she expertly draws flawed characters and compels your empathy for them, even if you don't *like* them) and their roles in it, but I think the story and characters would have been richer if I had the foundation of the first book.

I'd like to give it 3.5
Jun 27, 2016 Niki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was much better than "Silk" and had some really great scenes, but overall it was kind of "meh", sadly.
Nov 27, 2015 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The final chapters felt a little rushed and I felt this one was a little too fantasy-orientated for my liking, but overall a worthy sequel to "Silk"... it also has one of Kiernan's most downbeat endings.

I guess I'll be reading "The Drowning Girl" next.
Mina LaFleur
I loved Silk, and Threshold, so I assumed that I'd really like this book too. Her books are always a bit of a challenge for me to wrap my head around, so I expected that, but I did find this one especially abstract. The characters from Silk felt so different to me that I didn't recognize them at all in this sequel, and my affections for them changed because of that. It does have some beautiful creativity that I've also come to expect from her work, in that for me, the line is not always quite cl ...more
Mar 11, 2013 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013
Reread, though I can't remember when I read it.

And damn, I'd forgotten how *good* this book is. So much beautiful language and so much amazing imagery. If I ever have 10% of the talent Kiernan has I'll be content.

You can really see the development of Kiernan as a writer reading this and "Silk" back to back. "Silk" was good, but there are real glimmers of the genius of Kiernan (which I feel has developed into its full capacity in her last two novels, but especially "The Drowning Girl") in this bo
Jan 18, 2014 Despina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gorgeous descriptions, terrifying circumstances, broken people. What's not to enjoy? A worthy follow-up to Silk, something I didn't think possible.
Apr 03, 2013 April rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kiernan writes a fierce, gripping story with some creepy King-esque moments. The characters are deep and unique, and the action moves quickly enough that it was hard to put down. My only disappointment in this story was the ending. A few questions are left unanswered and there’s a bit of confusion in my mind as to what actually occurred. Still, happy I picked it up and I’ll be looking forward to more by Kiernan in the future.
Allyson Shaw
I read this several months ago- and then it was as if it were brainwiped. I completely forgot it. I have a vague sense it depressed me.
Gregory Sotir
Mar 10, 2012 Gregory Sotir rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written and lush, the description of Southeastern American weather is a wonder. Kaliedoscope-like in structure with great imaginative and visual writing. The horror is pretty scary too.
Mar 27, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a lovesong for the sick at heart, for those tired of living, and tired of trying. She managed to make an ode to what was goth culture, for those lost, for those missing.
May 17, 2011 Theomanic rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
This book was almost great at many times but I never felt like it lived up to its potential. Maybe I just had different expectations.
May 09, 2009 Max rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Lovecraft pastiche that is in most respects--characterization and prose in particular--superior to Lovecraft's work.
Jan 03, 2011 Synd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. Contemporary horror at it's finest. I read it before reading silk, but it was amazing nonetheless.
David Wolfe
David Wolfe marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2016
  • Wrong Things
  • Blood Oranges (Siobhan Quinn, #1)
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Fifteenth Annual Collection
  • GloomCookie (GloomCookie, #1)
  • Control Freak
  • Lord of Bones (BloodAngel, #2)
  • Chicks 'n Chained Males (Chicks in Chainmail, #3)
  • Four and Twenty Blackbirds (Eden Moore, #1)
  • A Rope of Thorns (Hexslinger, #2)
  • The Bone Key: The Necromantic Mysteries of Kyle Murchison Booth
  • Bordertown (Borderland, #2)
  • Personal Darkness (Blood Opera Sequence, #2)
Caitlín Rebekah Kiernan (born 26 May 1964) is the author of science fiction and dark fantasy works, including ten novels; many comic books; and more than two hundred published short stories, novellas, and vignettes. She is also the author of scientific papers in the field of paleontology.

(from Wikipedia)
More about Caitlín R. Kiernan...

Silk (2 books)